Controller mapping tool ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
visheshl

29 Nov 2022

Is there a reason, reason studios cannot build a simple gui tool to write custom controller maps ?
I mean they can build this huge complex software, yet they cannot build a simple utility which makes it easier to customise your midi controller as per your own preferences?

If they're unsure of how to go about this, then perhaps look at remotify.io

I just don't understand the why of it...

It would probably take about a week's time at most for one of their engineers to sit and code a proper controller setup utility.
Why is this not a priority?

deeplink
Competition Winner

29 Nov 2022

I don't think you can get much simpler than remote? I found it super basic to use.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

visheshl

29 Nov 2022

What are you talking about?

Are you sure you understand what I'm saying here ?

The remote protocol is great as it is. I'm not saying to modify the remote protocol or how it works etc.

I'm just telling them to make a simple GUI tool in which you select the device you want to map, you select which controller button or encoder you want to map, you select the parameter of the device.
Do this for all the controls, save and the tool generates a text file ready to use.

Are you one of those linux guys who is like hey you can do it in the terminal, it's very easy, noone needs a gui utility for that etc...

visheshl

29 Nov 2022

Basically, it would work like this.

You provide the details of your midi controller.
Add encoders, buttons etc that your controller has, select the midi data each control sends and receives.(or you simply move the control, and the utility reads the data and enters it)
Then you save the controller profile.(which generates a codec file for you)

Then you load a codec in the next section of this utility.
Which tells the tool which controls are available, so it creates drop down lists for you to select each control etc.
Edit: i forgot about layers and groups.
So the tool then allows you to make layers or groups and map which hardware controls select which layer or group.

Then you select a reason device.
Select layer, select each control of the hardware controller one by one, select the group, select the reason device's parameter and map.
Then you save, it generates a .remotemap file for you.
You could then put these files in the remote folders and done.

jam-s

30 Nov 2022

visheshl wrote:
29 Nov 2022
It would probably take about a week's time at most for one of their engineers to sit and code a proper controller setup utility.
Why is this not a priority?
Your time estimate is much too low. I'd rather suggest at least 4 to 6 man months of work before such a tool could enter closed beta testing. Also I suppose from Reason's POV creating the (basic) maps is the task of the hardware manufacturer. And then customisation has to be done by the user anyhow. Which can be done by editing the vendor supplied Remote files.

Also their hand full of coders has other things to do like fixing bugs, adding VST3 support, and keeping up with Apple support etc.

jam-s

30 Nov 2022

visheshl wrote:
29 Nov 2022
Basically, it would work like this.

You provide the details of your midi controller.
Add encoders, buttons etc that your controller has, select the midi data each control sends and receives.(or you simply move the control, and the utility reads the data and enters it)
Then you save the controller profile.(which generates a codec file for you)

Then you load a codec in the next section of this utility.
Which tells the tool which controls are available, so it creates drop down lists for you to select each control etc.
Edit: i forgot about layers and groups.
So the tool then allows you to make layers or groups and map which hardware controls select which layer or group.

Then you select a reason device.
Select layer, select each control of the hardware controller one by one, select the group, select the reason device's parameter and map.
Then you save, it generates a .remotemap file for you.
You could then put these files in the remote folders and done.
If that's what you want: use http://www.reasonremoter.co.uk/

visheshl

30 Nov 2022

Many thanks to the developer of this tool.
(Yet to use it, but I'm happy it exists)

jam-s

30 Nov 2022

Here's another alternative with a nicer GUI, but only for a very limited set of controllers (still): https://remapp.noiseshadow.com/

Both developers are active here on the forums and certainly would like some feedback or help in extending their tools.

• Information