Using headphones with a built in mic within Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ndiniz83

28 Nov 2022

How do I set up my headphones so I can hear sounds from Reason? I also want to be able to use the built in Mic for vocoding. Any advice on this would be seriously appreciated.

joeyluck

28 Nov 2022

Are you on macOS or Windows?

On a Mac, 'Built-in Microphone + Built-in Output' should already be available as a selection under Reason Preferences. Beyond that, you can also create Aggregate devices in Audio MIDI Setup under macOS Utilities. Then those Aggregate devices will be available to choose in Reason.

Not sure the setup for Windows...

ndiniz83

28 Nov 2022

I have the latest version of Reason running on a Dell gaming laptop.

pushedbutton

28 Nov 2022

ndiniz83 wrote:
28 Nov 2022
I have the latest version of Reason running on a Dell gaming laptop.
You'll probably have to install asio4all
you can get it free at https://www.asio4all.org/
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

ndiniz83

28 Nov 2022

I have Asio4All installed.

pushedbutton

28 Nov 2022

ndiniz83 wrote:
28 Nov 2022
I have Asio4All installed.
then you should be able to select it as your Audio Card Driver in 'Edit, Preferences, Audio (tab)' and then when you add an audio channel your microphone should be selectable.
If you're not there yet you need to set asio4all up.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.

ndiniz83

28 Nov 2022

I have channel selection locked out for some reason. Do I need to re-install Asio4All again, and my headphones have a button to activate the MIC. What settings do I need to make in the audio preferences, since I run Windows 10? Any adjustments I need to make to Windows Audio?

pushedbutton

02 Dec 2022

As far as I know it's nothing to do with windows settings but if you hit the control panel button in reason you should load up the ASIO interface and be able to mess with the settings in there. It's a little hazy to me because it didn't take me long to decide to invest in an external audio interface.

EnochLight

05 Dec 2022

ASIO4ALL on built-in Windows audio cards really does suck bad - even if you can get it working, the latency is never that great.
ndiniz83 wrote:
28 Nov 2022
How do I set up my headphones so I can hear sounds from Reason? I also want to be able to use the built in Mic for vocoding. Any advice on this would be seriously appreciated.
Did you install ASIO4ALL from the open-source website, or are you using the drivers that shipped with your gaming laptop?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information