Reason 12 Forgets VST settings inside combinator in saved song

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
BeReasonable

27 Nov 2022

Can't find any reports of this but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

Bought several mastering VSTs this week. Made a mastering combinator with all of them together. Made presets for each of the devices, and then made a couple of mastering combinators.

When I save a song using the combinator it will lose the settings inside the combinator and the individual VST devices will load up different patches from the ones I just saved.

Had a similar problem when I imported songs from Reason 7 - but in that case all the songs had the mastering combinator reset to the init patch from the one I had been using.

I tried reporting that init patch bug when I first upgrade but all I got in response was an email explaining the benefits of them removing the linked buttons from the mixer mastering section.

joeyluck

27 Nov 2022

Which VSTs?

And are you sure they are authorized? One limitation of demo mode for many VSTs is patch recall.

BeReasonable

28 Nov 2022

They're all authorized. TDR Limiter 6 GE, TDR Nova Eq GE, TDR Kotelnikov GE, bx_masterdesk true peak. I can save the entire song, close it, then reopen it a minute later and one or more of them will not have the patches or settings I was using when I saved. Just opened the most recent version I saved and 3 out of the 4 VST holders had factory patches instead of mine loaded in.

Sucks when I spend so long to get final levels right and then I come back and everything is reset.

mimidancer

28 Nov 2022

BeReasonable wrote:
27 Nov 2022
Can't find any reports of this but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

Bought several mastering VSTs this week. Made a mastering combinator with all of them together. Made presets for each of the devices, and then made a couple of mastering combinators.

When I save a song using the combinator it will lose the settings inside the combinator and the individual VST devices will load up different patches from the ones I just saved.

Had a similar problem when I imported songs from Reason 7 - but in that case all the songs had the mastering combinator reset to the init patch from the one I had been using.

I tried reporting that init patch bug when I first upgrade but all I got in response was an email explaining the benefits of them removing the linked buttons from the mixer mastering section.

Just tested it not having any issues. I'm using windows. Are you on a Mac?

Jackjackdaw

28 Nov 2022

I had a problem like this with Arturia Analog lab for a bit. It was something to do with Program change command getting confused but it got fixed , can’t remember if it was a Problem with Reason or Arturia though.

Synthopathe

28 Nov 2022

I had a similar problem yesterday. I'm using a M1 Macbook Air 2020 o. Big Sur. I loaded up a mastering chain of focusrite fast plugins saved to come back to and when I did they were all reset, all previous settings lost.

BeReasonable

28 Nov 2022

I did some testing this morning and so far it's limited to two of the TDR plugins (nova and limiter 6).

If I go into the VST itself and save a preset there it seems to keep the patches on the VST containers the same and then state seems to be saved between songs. However something is still causing a change to the nova and limiter 6 on load from saved combinator patches / songs.

I made a template song with those plugins. If I open it and close it right away reason will prompt me to save the changes even though I did nothing. If I eliminate nova and limiter 6 I no longer get the prompt. I also unlinked them from the buttons / controls on the combinator thinking the state of the combinator buttons on load might be triggering a parameter change but even completely unlinked or standalone I still got the "do you want to save changes" message.

Since 2 out of 3 plugins are affected maybe TDR can figure out the difference between those two and the kotelnikov to see if there is different code that is triggering this.

StephenHutchinson

28 Nov 2022

I remember having some issues with Serum not saving the preset inside a combinator awhile back... same idea... just re-opened the combi and everything I had manipulated was reset. Somehow somewhere I found or figured out that if you save the patch on the VST container itself, then the changes would be preserved as a ".fxb" patch... (see screenshot below, I just used an Arturia "Delay ETERNING" VST as an example):

Save VST Combinator Settings.jpg
Save VST Combinator Settings.jpg (161.3 KiB) Viewed 1290 times

I'm not sure if this works for all VSTs but it worked with Serum way back when...
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
Sound Design & Music Content Creation
Sound Dimension :: https://www.sounddimension.io

BeReasonable

28 Nov 2022

I did that (luckily because that's the only thing that preserved my settings). For some reason with some VSTs it reset the patch back to one that had been previously loaded. But somehow going into the VST itself and saving a patch using its native file system translated over to the vst container.

There's still the problem of TDR's plugins resetting some things on load but I'll have to spend more time seeing if I can figure out what triggers it.

friday

28 Nov 2022

Have this problem without Combinator, Soft Limiter VST from Apogee does not save the settings and it confusingly happens only if there are some other RE's in the rack. Have an open Ticket :reason: for weeks, they confirmed that they can reproduce it, but then I didn't get any response for the last month.

Detailed Infos under this Link:
https://1drv.ms/b/s!AljUOBXZERw5vskxRUZaHkbZrIiWVA

BeReasonable

28 Nov 2022

I also got weird behavior without it being in a combinator. I put a vst of TDR nova in a test template song and saved it. When I reopened it and immediately tried to close reason asked me if I wanted to save changes.

I don't don't know if that's a real connection or just a coincidence, but so far the only VSTs that have had the problem of losing settings on reopen are the ones that trigger reason to think there has been some sort of change to the file without anything actually being done by me.

BeReasonable

04 Jan 2023

Especially if they're inside a combinator?

I've been making a mastering combinator with some new plugins. Have it inside a song I've been working on. Go back right now to a song that I was just working on this morning
and 5 or 6 of the plugins have completely lost their settings. They don't even show "init patch", the show the patch name that should be there. But instead of the patch I was just using, they all seemed to
be reset to default. Reloaded the last save version of the patch (luckily I did that when I was building the combinator) which got me most of the way back to where I was.

These were all paid and registered vsts, not trials.

Synthopathe

05 Jan 2023

BeReasonable wrote:
04 Jan 2023
Especially if they're inside a combinator?

I've been making a mastering combinator with some new plugins. Have it inside a song I've been working on. Go back right now to a song that I was just working on this morning
and 5 or 6 of the plugins have completely lost their settings. They don't even show "init patch", the show the patch name that should be there. But instead of the patch I was just using, they all seemed to
be reset to default. Reloaded the last save version of the patch (luckily I did that when I was building the combinator) which got me most of the way back to where I was.

These were all paid and registered vsts, not trials.
Yes, I'm having the same problem. I first noticed it with vst2 versions of the focusrite fast series.

jam-s

05 Jan 2023

It would be good to post detailed bugreports with detailed version info of the involved VSTs and the combinator patches to RS.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Jan 2023

Isn't it so that some VSTs don't save settings and have to be saved as patches before closing?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

BeReasonable

05 Jan 2023

MrFigg wrote:
05 Jan 2023
Isn't it so that some VSTs don't save settings and have to be saved as patches before closing?
They are saved as reason rack device patches. That's how I was able to reload them.

• Information