Reason 12 with VST3 Beta has arrived

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
Eprom
Posts: 116
Joined: 24 Sep 2017

Post 01 Dec 2022

I would love to Beta test Korg's Wavestate VST3 plugin in Reason.
So far it works fine a s a stand alone on my Mac, but in Logic it crashes when it's inactive for 10 minutes or so. :-(
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

[Mac Mini M1/Macbook Pro M1/MacOS 12.4 - Reason 12]

provinceofnowhere
Posts: 51
Joined: 11 Apr 2018

Post 02 Dec 2022

This is great news. I was worried they were going to boot this down the road to R13.

User avatar
ljekio
Posts: 881
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 03 Dec 2022

tell me please, in the new version there are no improvements to the VST-wrapper in midi?
for example, receiving midi-CC directly, expanding the list of controllers in the combinator programmer, etc.

provinceofnowhere
Posts: 51
Joined: 11 Apr 2018

Post 04 Dec 2022

Creativemind wrote:
21 Nov 2022
How long will this Beta last for roughly?

What I'm asking is, will it be tested and 12.5 be out before you break up for Christmas? I know it sounds like a tight squeeze and I'm guessing more like mid-late Jan but is 4 weeks do-able?
Yup this. Any ideas when it's likely to roll out for everyone?

How is the beta going for those who are testing?

kurtg
Posts: 38
Joined: 10 Apr 2018

Post 04 Dec 2022

I signed up 22 nov, but still waiting for access. So no idea yet how it's implemented.

User avatar
crimsonwarlock
Posts: 1227
Joined: 06 Nov 2021
Location: Close to the Edge

Post 04 Dec 2022

provinceofnowhere wrote:
04 Dec 2022
How is the beta going for those who are testing?
Beta testers are not allowed to discuss the beta outside the beta-forum.
----
Most users think the reason their requests aren't being met, is because some developer somewhere in a cubical refuses to waive its magic wand.

Heater
Posts: 775
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 04 Dec 2022

provinceofnowhere wrote:
04 Dec 2022
Yup this. Any ideas when it's likely to roll out for everyone?
They said this year.

Yonatan
Posts: 1554
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 06 Dec 2022

Will it be out before new year?

User avatar
Arpeg
Posts: 109
Joined: 31 Oct 2021

Post 06 Dec 2022

Yonatan wrote:
06 Dec 2022
Will it be out before new year?
Happy Christmas ---> 2022

User avatar
Lizard
Posts: 458
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 08 Dec 2022

avasopht wrote:
21 Nov 2022
-008' wrote:
21 Nov 2022
I tested for many many years. But when my schedule/household got wrecked in 2020/2021 (from policies, not sickness) they booted me for "inactivity". :thumbup:
these days i just cross my fingers and hope someone else finds whatever the issue is.
Same.

I was in Tunisia for several weeks with limited internet access, and had been producing content but was not satisfied with my result (plus I had limited listening options) ... plus every bug I did find had already been logged, so while I was active my activity couldn't be recorded.

But I had to admit that I had too much going on to justify rejoining and that I wasn't half as active as I could/should have been.
Here I was thinking I was all alone. I had been testing since R3 and was released for inactivity as well. Inactivity I think is defined as non-reporting and if your findings are already reported then why do so? Forum contribution not sure. I don’t think I can even be eligible for testing because when I was let go they took the R12 license I had. 😀 I have confidence in the bug hunt however as they have a great group of testers who are sharp and catch most of issues beforehand. I wouldn’t expect that it will be released as a Christmas gift but that is anyone’s guess. Easiest way to know is sign up and gauge by the feedback that is being discussed. I hope it goes well!

User avatar
-008'
Posts: 369
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 08 Dec 2022

Lizard wrote:
08 Dec 2022
avasopht wrote:
21 Nov 2022


Same.

I was in Tunisia for several weeks with limited internet access, and had been producing content but was not satisfied with my result (plus I had limited listening options) ... plus every bug I did find had already been logged, so while I was active my activity couldn't be recorded.

But I had to admit that I had too much going on to justify rejoining and that I wasn't half as active as I could/should have been.
Here I was thinking I was all alone. I had been testing since R3 and was released for inactivity as well. Inactivity I think is defined as non-reporting and if your findings are already reported then why do so? Forum contribution not sure. I don’t think I can even be eligible for testing because when I was let go they took the R12 license I had. 😀 I have confidence in the bug hunt however as they have a great group of testers who are sharp and catch most of issues beforehand. I wouldn’t expect that it will be released as a Christmas gift but that is anyone’s guess. Easiest way to know is sign up and gauge by the feedback that is being discussed. I hope it goes well!
I feel *slightly* better knowing I wasn't the only one. I feel doubly better to hear it also happened to what i consider two smart fellas. :-) It seemed like a very cold decision from them to just dump so many of their elite/alpha testers so easily, after most of us tested for well over 10 years - with not ever a peep, and not ever a leak.

As you say, if bugs you report are already reported, this might seem like inactivity. But what about confirming and duplicating pre-reported bugs? What about all the great discussions that took place? Ideas/issues reported in threads? What about contributions of any song demos, or the tons of patches that were always delivered for any new devices, kits and even the soundbanks?

Of course in testing, it is most important to get all the bugs, but it must also be quite valuable to get as much feedback and user content at the earliest stages, right?
Especially from power users who know the app upside down and backwards. I assume that is why the group existed in the first place?

I have written it off as someone delegating the alpha group management to "the new guy". What other possible explanation could there be? Before anyone else says it - I would accept that i am a useless idiot and they don't need me anymore, but not Lizard & Ava as well. (wth is going on over there? lol)

Seems like the "inactivity" thing (in the middle of a pandemic) was just a convenient excuse to drop a bunch of people, for whatever reason. :thumbs_down:
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

User avatar
Lizard
Posts: 458
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 08 Dec 2022

-008' wrote:
08 Dec 2022
I feel *slightly* better knowing I wasn't the only one. I feel doubly better to hear it also happened to what i consider two smart fellas. :-) It seemed like a very cold decision from them to just dump so many of their elite/alpha testers so easily, after most of us tested for well over 10 years - with not ever a peep, and not ever a leak.

As you say, if bugs you report are already reported, this might seem like inactivity. But what about confirming and duplicating pre-reported bugs? What about all the great discussions that took place? Ideas/issues reported in threads? What about contributions of any song demos, or the tons of patches that were always delivered for any new devices, kits and even the soundbanks?

Of course in testing, it is most important to get all the bugs, but it must also be quite valuable to get as much feedback and user content at the earliest stages, right?
Especially from power users who know the app upside down and backwards. I assume that is why the group existed in the first place?

I have written it off as someone delegating the alpha group management to "the new guy". What other possible explanation could there be? Before anyone else says it - I would accept that i am a useless idiot and they don't need me anymore, but not Lizard & Ava as well. (wth is going on over there? lol)

Seems like the "inactivity" thing (in the middle of a pandemic) was just a convenient excuse to drop a bunch of people, for whatever reason. :thumbs_down:
It's all good. I thought I contributed but surely could have done better. At least that is evident from their perspective and decisions. :lol: There is s great group over there and not listening and learning from their discussions is what I'll miss most. It's those people that give me confidence in a streamlined and almost bug free product. At least now I know it wasn't just me. :thumbs_up:

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 4829
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 08 Dec 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
04 Dec 2022
provinceofnowhere wrote:
04 Dec 2022
How is the beta going for those who are testing?
Beta testers are not allowed to discuss the beta outside the beta-forum.
Would it really break the beta rules to say, "yeah it's going ok for me"? lol!

Why was this testing called beta originally?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.73 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

boomer
Posts: 70
Joined: 09 Nov 2016

Post 08 Dec 2022

The secondary phase of testing is called beta after the second letter in the Greek alphabet.

User avatar
wendylou
Posts: 369
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Saint Joseph, MO

Post 09 Dec 2022

Lizard wrote:
08 Dec 2022
-008' wrote:
08 Dec 2022
I feel *slightly* better knowing I wasn't the only one. I feel doubly better to hear it also happened to what i consider two smart fellas. :-) It seemed like a very cold decision from them to just dump so many of their elite/alpha testers so easily, after most of us tested for well over 10 years - with not ever a peep, and not ever a leak.

[... ...]

Seems like the "inactivity" thing (in the middle of a pandemic) was just a convenient excuse to drop a bunch of people, for whatever reason. :thumbs_down:
It's all good. I thought I contributed but surely could have done better. At least that is evident from their perspective and decisions. :lol: There is s great group over there and not listening and learning from their discussions is what I'll miss most. It's those people that give me confidence in a streamlined and almost bug free product. At least now I know it wasn't just me. :thumbs_up:
#metoo. I have loads of VST3s I need to test in Reason. Signed up for beta but have not heard back.

And Dont Call Me Shirley.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

User avatar
Zerosity
Posts: 126
Joined: 18 Jun 2015

Post 09 Dec 2022

Maybe you can list the VST3's that you would test if you had the access? That way, those testers with access can have a list of plugins to test, if they haven't done so already.

PropitiousME
Posts: 58
Joined: 01 Sep 2021

Post 10 Dec 2022

If you're not already in beta, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure reports are being submitted, but you wouldn't know if they were since there's no transparency (IE. freq, issue submitted, dev status). Meat and potatoes testing is facilitated from an individual perspective via private ticketing channels. Nobody has a sense of the size of the tester base unless they have a private line on RS staff and the discussion forum does little in the way of convincing you it's anything significant. So outside submitting any issue(s) specific to your use case and hoping for a response, the most useful aspect of beta is seeing what the worthy mentions were after they've already been fixed. Who knows how much isn't disclosed.

If I had to draw an analogy, it's like being placed on some top secret Area 51 project. Wherein, the employees (beta testers) clearly don't know what's going on at the facility outside a blue moon directive regarding some beta parameter change you're allowed to know (which is probably the only reason any discussion forum was created in the first place since 'issue' threads just get redirected to ticketing and die). This isn't the bustling community oriented beta environment you find at most shops. Shouldn't come as a surprise when you consider RS made the choice to not manage a community outside the comment section on YouTube, lol. Seriously, without this forum and Reddit, Reason community would be virtually ghosted except for a few decent Discord initiatives.

I love the software, but it is what it is. For any beta ambulance chasers, the disclaimer from RS on what can or can't be shared is very clear and I haven't divulged the contents of "hanger 9". Disclaimer is very specific:
Please don't share any information outside of the Reason Beta lounge about features and fixes in the Beta that are not yet released to the Stable Reason.
There is no point in speculating when VST3 is coming because nobody knows. There is nothing to even police on that level of insight despite people here getting their guns oiled up at the mere thought of it. So how is the beta going? It's taking submissions. Only RS knows how it's going. Everything else is pure speculation.

User avatar
wendylou
Posts: 369
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Saint Joseph, MO

Post 12 Dec 2022

Zerosity wrote:
09 Dec 2022
Maybe you can list the VST3's that you would test if you had the access? That way, those testers with access can have a list of plugins to test, if they haven't done so already.
I recently purchased and would appreciate any beta tester to test iZotope Ozone 10 VST3, and Korg Wavestate native VST3.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 3 guests