Reason 12 with VST3 Beta has arrived

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Aquila

21 Nov 2022

joeyluck wrote:
21 Nov 2022
just a friendly mod reminder that specifics about the beta (features, performance, screenshots, etc.) should only be discussed in the beta forum on the Reason Studios site.
I'm sure that mentioning the fact that it's Reason.... and something something VST3 will still be ok as it's public knowledge.... right?

...right? ;)

QVprod

21 Nov 2022

Creativemind wrote:
21 Nov 2022
How long will this Beta last for roughly?

What I'm asking is, will it be tested and 12.5 be out before you break up for Christmas? I know it sounds like a tight squeeze and I'm guessing more like mid-late Jan but is 4 weeks do-able?
Going by history, their public betas rarely go longer than a month. I’d say a Christmas gift is probably possible.

Shadoww

21 Nov 2022

How long after signing up will we have to wait to get on beta?

DJMaytag

21 Nov 2022

QVprod wrote:
21 Nov 2022
Creativemind wrote:
21 Nov 2022

What I'm asking is, will it be tested and 12.5 be out before you break up for Christmas? I know it sounds like a tight squeeze and I'm guessing more like mid-late Jan but is 4 weeks do-able?
Going by history, their public betas rarely go longer than a month. I’d say a Christmas gift is probably possible.
True, but this is a bigger deal than previous updates, and there's some other things that I'm seeing pop up that could make this take longer. They've definitely been churning though the bugs, pushing updates fairly frequently up to the current stable version, so that's a good sign.

If I had to wander a guess, I'd say Jan 2023 until they have a locked down & stable version with VST3 support.

jam-s

21 Nov 2022

Creativemind wrote:
21 Nov 2022

I suppose it depends on how many and how grave bugs are discovered during the beta. Minimum runtime of a semi-open beta would be around a month, I think.

joeyluck

21 Nov 2022

Aquila wrote:
21 Nov 2022
joeyluck wrote:
21 Nov 2022
just a friendly mod reminder that specifics about the beta (features, performance, screenshots, etc.) should only be discussed in the beta forum on the Reason Studios site.
I'm sure that mentioning the fact that it's Reason.... and something something VST3 will still be ok as it's public knowledge.... right?

...right? ;)
Lol of course. Reason with VST3 support is being beta tested now and beta signup is open. The conversation continues more in depth in the beta forum.

Reason Studios might be open to answering some questions here, but I can't speak to that. The more specific questions can be asked in the beta forum.

For instance, nobody here can answer if this or that plugin is working—people should sign up and test. If anybody wants to be sure their plugins work on their system and computer, they should sign up. Nobody should report here that they are encountering this or that bug or their general experience with it—they should be filing bug reports via the beta program. Nobody can discuss here what is there or isn't there feature-wise, etc.

This thread is really for just getting the word out that the beta is open and everybody should sign up and help test :)

LittleBoy

21 Nov 2022

Waiting for beta access. I have a lot of VST3 and I'm dying to try it.

avasopht
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2022

-008' wrote:
21 Nov 2022
I tested for many many years. But when my schedule/household got wrecked in 2020/2021 (from policies, not sickness) they booted me for "inactivity". :thumbup:
these days i just cross my fingers and hope someone else finds whatever the issue is.
Same.

I was in Tunisia for several weeks with limited internet access, and had been producing content but was not satisfied with my result (plus I had limited listening options) ... plus every bug I did find had already been logged, so while I was active my activity couldn't be recorded.

But I had to admit that I had too much going on to justify rejoining and that I wasn't half as active as I could/should have been.
Last edited by avasopht on 21 Nov 2022, edited 1 time in total.

ltbrunt00

21 Nov 2022

How many people checking their email every five minutes.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

QVprod

21 Nov 2022

DJMaytag wrote:
21 Nov 2022
QVprod wrote:
21 Nov 2022

True, but this is a bigger deal than previous updates, and there's some other things that I'm seeing pop up that could make this take longer. They've definitely been churning though the bugs, pushing updates fairly frequently up to the current stable version, so that's a good sign.

If I had to wander a guess, I'd say Jan 2023 until they have a locked down & stable version with VST3 support.
Public betas are usually for new versions not regular updates. R12 is an anomaly in that regard. That’s what I’m referring to usually being a month. I see this update being no different than that or 9.5 which I believe was only a month long beta as well.

Granted I haven’t visited the beta forum as yet to see if there seem to be additional complications.

DaveyG

22 Nov 2022

The problem with having such a short public Beta phase is that you don't have time to fix most of the things that crop up. You have to cherry pick the worst bugs and then release the software anyway. Contrast that with Image Line. FL Studio 21 has been in public Beta since May and has just reached the first release candidate. There will probably be one or two more RCs before it finally goes live. You have to give the devs time to fix stuff.

DJMaytag

22 Nov 2022

After R12 was pushed out a bit too soon, I think they’re going to be a bit more cautious about VST3 + anything else that might pop up, hence why I’d say this will be longer than a month. Factor in holidays too, which could add an extra week or two in.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Nov 2022

Hmm. Could be that VST3 will be implemented then all the bugs ironed out in the next version of Reason. Not the first time a bug has been reported in say R10 then taken 2 versions to be fixed. Who knows.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

kurtg

22 Nov 2022

Cool ! I signed up! I hope they do also beta of m1 afterwards.

Bixbambi

22 Nov 2022

I had to abandon Reason 12 for another DAW (StudioOne) because of the bugs and wait for the September update to have R12 stable and above all to gain in performance!
It's too much of a hassle to change DAWs. I don't want to go through that again!
Then with Reason, I'm home!
So I signed up for the Beta to help ReasonStudio debug this public beta so that we have a stable VST3 version!
Then I can't wait to use the new synth from Brian Clevinger, creator of Absynth. "Plasmonic" which works only in VST3. This synth is in midi MPE. I hope that we will have MPE midi very soon even if I was able to find a workaround with Reason by making Expresive_E's TOUCHE_SE midi controller work when it is not officially compatible. It only works on one note or all the notes of a chord so not MPE.
And now that the developer Robotic bean AB who created superb RE including "sequence" has joined the ReasonStudio development team, I think we will have some nice surprises!

So it's up to us to bring up the bugs in this public beta so that we have a top-notch VST3 version! So that we can stay focused on musical creativity.

avasopht
Competition Winner

22 Nov 2022

Bixbambi wrote:
22 Nov 2022
I had to abandon Reason 12 for another DAW (StudioOne) because of the bugs and wait for the September update to have R12 stable and above all to gain in performance!
It's too much of a hassle to change DAWs. I don't want to go through that again!
Then with Reason, I'm home!
So I signed up for the Beta to help ReasonStudio debug this public beta so that we have a stable VST3 version!
Then I can't wait to use the new synth from Brian Clevinger, creator of Absynth. "Plasmonic" which works only in VST3. This synth is in midi MPE. I hope that we will have MPE midi very soon even if I was able to find a workaround with Reason by making Expresive_E's TOUCHE_SE midi controller work when it is not officially compatible. It only works on one note or all the notes of a chord so not MPE.
And now that the developer Robotic bean AB who created superb RE including "sequence" has joined the ReasonStudio development team, I think we will have some nice surprises!

So it's up to us to bring up the bugs in this public beta so that we have a top-notch VST3 version! So that we can stay focused on musical creativity.
:thumbs_up:

That's what it's about.

kblakk357

22 Nov 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
21 Nov 2022
-008' wrote:
21 Nov 2022
man i hope they got some better testers, or more of them. The last couple versions have been pretty meh here.
I just had Reason completely vanish yesterday, by dropping a VST into a combinator.
whatever happened to all of that "sandbox" talk? :?
Come and help us test! It really does help tons to get quality testing and reports.

Re: sandboxing, that's mostly around Rack Extensions. VSTs add more points of failure to Reason, it is what it is. Still, do report any issues because they might be something we could fix or at least try to avoid.
I signed up (blublakmusik) for it and hope I'm chosen to help beta test. I have a lot of vst3 plugins that require me to use a bridge to use them, such as the new Izotope suite, and it would be nice to test them and all of the other ones I have sitting in my folder.

platzangst

22 Nov 2022

I don't have the time to properly participate in a beta test, but I admit I am curious to find out how Reason will handle sorting between versions of plugins where both VST2 and VST3 versions are installed.

joeyluck

22 Nov 2022

platzangst wrote:
22 Nov 2022
I don't have the time to properly participate in a beta test
I don't know if there is a cap in mind for the testing pool, but I wouldn't feel like you are taking up a spot or whatever. It seems like people are being accepted in waves. I think any amount of time and any testing that anybody can contribute is useful. You might spot something in 30 minutes of using Reason with your plugins on your system that other testers won't encounter.

kitekrazy

22 Nov 2022

Heigen5 wrote:
21 Nov 2022
I have no VST3s I own, but might get some free ones for the testing purposes or trials/demos! Wohooo! :clap:
I stopped installing vst2 versions of plugins because over 1000 would show up. Now with vst3, REs, Reason will be overwhelming again with so many choices.

Heater

22 Nov 2022

There needs to be a filter button on VST so you can turn off the VST2 versions of plugins. Maybe something in options.

DJMaytag

22 Nov 2022

joeyluck wrote:
22 Nov 2022
platzangst wrote:
22 Nov 2022
I don't have the time to properly participate in a beta test
I don't know if there is a cap in mind for the testing pool, but I wouldn't feel like you are taking up a spot or whatever. It seems like people are being accepted in waves. I think any amount of time and any testing that anybody can contribute is useful. You might spot something in 30 minutes of using Reason with your plugins on your system that other testers won't encounter.
100% this. Everyone uses Reason in a different way, so you might catch something that no one else might notice.

BananaSkins

23 Nov 2022

Heater wrote:
22 Nov 2022
There needs to be a filter button on VST so you can turn off the VST2 versions of plugins. Maybe something in options.
Good idea... :thumbs_up:

DaveyG

23 Nov 2022

Some other DAWs have an option that says "Use VST3 version if available".

joeyluck

23 Nov 2022

Another friendly reminder to not talk about beta specifics here. Please do that in the beta forum on the Reason Studios site :)

This thread is really only about the beta signup, questions in regards to signup, and the general update for users that VST3 support in Reason is being tested.

Thanks!

• Information