Which version of reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Nadir.76

20 Nov 2022

Hi all, I need some advice. I play guitar as my main instrument, but in the past I started making electronic music with Reason, but then I stopped many yeasr ago.

I instead continued to play the guitar. The latest version I used is 4. Now I'd like to start over again, but without spending much.

I'd like to do ambient / trip pop stuff like massive attack / fennesz / Ghost's nine inch nails , integrating my guitar recordings with electronic music. So I started looking for a used reason license, and I found several, especially for nr. 8 and 10, at similar prices.

I therefore ask you for advice on which version I should choose, because I don't know the differences well. With both I can record my guitar in Reason without rewire right? I have a ton of old refills (including drums and pianos), do they fit with the new releases? Basically, in order not to make it too difficult, I don't think I want to use external VSTs. Thank you all for your advice!

joeyluck

20 Nov 2022

Do you have a license for Reason 4? I would look at the upgrade to Reason 12 and you could wait and see if Reason goes on sale soon.

Nadir.76

20 Nov 2022

I have not yet a licence for Reason 4 ... :-(

Jackjackdaw

20 Nov 2022

I think used licenses all sell for the same amount regardless of version because the upgrade cost to the latest is the same no matter what. (Correct me if I’m wrong please)

Cheapest entry point is the R+ sub which is pretty good value if you haven’t already bought all the stuff included with it.

Billy+

20 Nov 2022

Getting your hands on a license for Reason 10 would be a minimum recommendation as this will allow you to use any of the current available rack extensions.

If you're completely unlicensed then it's probably worth thinking about the subscription option as you would get access to the whole RS collection.

Nadir.76

20 Nov 2022

Thank you foryour reply.
Billy+ wrote:
20 Nov 2022
Getting your hands on a license for Reason 10 would be a minimum recommendation as this will allow you to use any of the current available rack extensions.
What are the "rack estensions"?
Billy+ wrote:
20 Nov 2022
If you're completely unlicensed then it's probably worth thinking about the subscription option as you would get access to the whole RS collection.
With the cost of six months of R+, I can purchase a license of R10. Honestly I'd prefer this, also because I don't want to have millions of options (I mean updates and periodic packs of R+), I'd rather concentrate on composing and playing. Do you think I'm wrong?

Billy+

20 Nov 2022

Nadir.76 wrote:
20 Nov 2022
Thank you foryour reply.
Billy+ wrote:
20 Nov 2022
What are the "rack estensions"?
Billy+ wrote:
20 Nov 2022
With the cost of six months of R+, I can purchase a license of R10. Honestly I'd prefer this, also because I don't want to have millions of options (I mean updates and periodic packs of R+), I'd rather concentrate on composing and playing. Do you think I'm wrong?
Rack extensions are Reasons addon devices, take a look at the shop pages.

As for subscription I think you're spot on, buying a license and concentrating on using/understanding what is available is definitely better value for money especially given the last version that you had access to was 4.

joeyluck

20 Nov 2022

There is also a promo for 6 months of Reason+ for free with select Akai Professional, Alesis and M-Audio hardware:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/press/342 ... o-hardware

There also might be promos floating around for 3 months of Reason+ (such as the Slice promo in the past).

Also keep in mind that the first month of Reason+ is $1 and you can cancel anytime. Great way to test out everything Reason has to offer.

And don't forget about the Demo mode. The limitations of Demo Mode is you won't be able to use additional Rack Extensions, you can't export audio, and you can't open projects (but you can save them of course). You only need to create a Reason Studios account and no payment info is necessary upfront to download Reason and run it in Demo Mode. More about that here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7525554

• Information