Reason is Amazing!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
andyhsong

19 Nov 2022

We always see the negative about Reason studios all over social media, message boards, etc. as the complaints are often louder than the praise. I just wanted to make a positive post about Reason for a change as Reason consistently blows my mind as a creative tool.
Despite its shortcomings, Reason is still an amazingly powerful DAW and music making software. Every time I have GAS to buy a new piece of gear, I just watch a Youtube video about a Rack Extension that I haven't used much and I realize Reason can do it all plus more...and my GAS goes away. I will always appreciate the physical interfaces of standalone instruments but the power and versatility of Reason is worth using a mouse and keyboard for me. Maybe if it makes sense, someday we can run Reason on an iPad or something and have touch functionality become part of the workflow too!

Thanks Reason Studios, we still have some ways to go but keep it up, you guys are appreciated!!

Jagwah

19 Nov 2022

Good thread and yes we can always go deeper with a device or something else in Reason instead of buying something new!

All my criticisms aside - thank you Reason Studios, all these years later and I love Reason just as much as I ever did, and life would never be the same without it. Keep doing your thing.

<3

BRIGGS

19 Nov 2022

andyhsong wrote:
19 Nov 2022
We always see the negative about Reason studios all over social media, message boards, etc. as the complaints are often louder than the praise. I just wanted to make a positive post about Reason for a change as Reason consistently blows my mind as a creative tool.
Despite its shortcomings, Reason is still an amazingly powerful DAW and music making software. Every time I have GAS to buy a new piece of gear, I just watch a Youtube video about a Rack Extension that I haven't used much and I realize Reason can do it all plus more...and my GAS goes away. I will always appreciate the physical interfaces of standalone instruments but the power and versatility of Reason is worth using a mouse and keyboard for me. Maybe if it makes sense, someday we can run Reason on an iPad or something and have touch functionality become part of the workflow too!

Thanks Reason Studios, we still have some ways to go but keep it up, you guys are appreciated!!
I switched from using a mouse, to using a trackball. It's less of a drag. Har har : )
r11s

Yonatan

20 Nov 2022

My main worry about Reason is its pace of compatibility with new development as mpe etc. But Reason is still fun and capable. But so many more options are ahead in its development. Guess that is why they allowed vst and making the rack a vst plugin. But I like working inside of the Reason Daw, so that makes me and others a bit concerned. Not much happening to the daw. But I agree that the negative comments in social media is painful and feels unjust, although the constructive feedback is what makes a company progress.There need be a balance. No one likes only ”if u do this and this and this you will become better person”, that can be the tough love, to wanna see you grow and thrive, but if never hear what is already fantastic with a person, all the recommendations will feel like ”if you dont like me as is, go find another DAW!”. Not every person or every company is as fast in its pace, and some old codes can take time to navigate, but when processed enough, can lead to a leap if encouragement is present. Everyone need also be accepted for its actual progress in small steps. But yes, if dragging behind too much, focusing on less important stuff, one need to be called out on it too. And so we are differnt folks, some minds are bit more sceptic and complain and compare, never ever satisfied to give any compliments or praise, while others are more forgiving and finds workarounds and enjoysnwhat is.
Both types are good in different ways. And both kinds of mindsets needs to learn from the other to strive for better balance.

Mataya

20 Nov 2022

I open it every day and enjoy it. Different kind of beast, of course it gets developed differently. Love it. Thanks.

M

deigm

20 Nov 2022

Reason really is special. There is nothing quite like it. It's as simple or as deep as you make it. Other DAWs may do this or that better, but no other software manages to inspire like reason can. And it's the music that matters most, isn't it?

Good thread, andyhsong. It isn't said enough :thumbs_up:

MuttReason

20 Nov 2022

The opposite of love is not hate. It is indifference.

I think one of the reasons why people get angry about various issues with Reason (mostly the pace of development) is because they are are emotionally invested as well as (in many cases) financially invested - and invested in terms of time and creativity. In other words, they care. Better people care and vent than not care and walk away.

That said, OP… yes, absolutely. Reason is outstanding in many ways, and now that (for me and I think many others, finally) R12 is stable it is a joy to use.

arnigretar

20 Nov 2022

Reason has it flaws, like everything else in the world. Nothing is perfect. And on that (Subtractor matrix gated) note I can say Reson is amazing. Agree!
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

Rising Night Wave

20 Nov 2022

Reason is Amazing!

Yes. That's why i stick to it. :-)
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

chimp_spanner

20 Nov 2022

Always nice to remind ourselves what it CAN do. On my PC I have Cubase 12 Pro, Live Suite 11, Reason 12, Studio One, Maschine Studio...guess which one I use like 90% of the time, despite all the things those other DAWs have that I really like?

There's just something about it. Even if I do end up using something else, I'll definitely have RRP in it. And I can very easily see myself using Reason as that initial 'spark'. I love the fun factor you get of dragging that first instrument in, turning knobs and just seeing what happens. I wish more people out there would at least give it a shot. I think they'd get hooked pretty quick.

Heigen5

20 Nov 2022

I would have already switched to something else, if I'd not hugely LOVE Reason. Yup this software really is Dope and Amazing!!
Actually Propellerheads (thank God), added audio, vst and midi out etc. even though they stated they would never do so. But they did and added most of the features, that
other companies had too. As for now, I think the future will be bright for the users of Reason even more of. It seems that lots of the musicians somehow can't see Reason, as an option for their music making. But thankfully there's an user-army that wouldn't switch to anything else due it's powerful way to create music and quickly make something neat with it.
After RRP some of the producers bought it off too, as an extra-expansion, to get some extra instruments and effects and sounds inside their DAW.
Welp, I must say, I'm a real fanboy and I would reborn once again, to be able to make music with Reason in the next life as well.

Viva la Reason Studios!

Przemyslaw

20 Nov 2022

I will tell you that I was born in a music studio, my father is a sound engineer, I followed a different path (composition, production) but when it came time to choose a DAW (20 years ago) I had everything at my fingertips: pro tools, cubase, sound forge, acid music, samplitude, nuendo, fl studio and others that are long gone. I was struggling terribly, each of these programs was completely hopeless and kind of unmusical, they were ok as programs for recording tracks but not for creating music. Cubase still managed and a bit of nuendo but when I saw Reason 1.0 it was a matter of two hours, I made a complete track without knowing the program at all, it was all fascinating, like in a real studio, I felt at home. I was about 17 years old and I dreamed of being able to earn a living by having a great time in Reason DAW.
Now, 20 years later, I work in Reason 12 every day and I am happiest in the world fulfilling my dreams and those of my clients.

selig
RE Developer

20 Nov 2022

MuttReason wrote:
20 Nov 2022
So true: you can’t hate something you don’t care about. Which is why I don’t mind if someone hates me or my music (and actually bothers to take the time to say something.about it). Must be love…;)
Selig Audio, LLC

MuttReason

20 Nov 2022

selig wrote:
20 Nov 2022
MuttReason wrote:
20 Nov 2022
So true: you can’t hate something you don’t care about. Which is why I don’t mind if someone hates me or my music (and actually bothers to take the time to say something.about it). Must be love…;)
:D :D :D

ProfessaKaos

21 Nov 2022

I have many other DAW's (5 of them to be exact) and Reason seems to always be the only one I use for music. Pro Tools for Post Production. If I can do any Post Production work in Reason I will.
Reason is just so easy to use without thought, it's like riding a bike.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

chimp_spanner

21 Nov 2022

ProfessaKaos wrote:
21 Nov 2022
I have many other DAW's (5 of them to be exact) and Reason seems to always be the only one I use for music. Pro Tools for Post Production. If I can do any Post Production work in Reason I will.
Exactly! it's weird though because the perception among producers I know who have long settled in other DAWs is that it's too complicated for them. I do all I can to change that perception in the work I do out there but it's still a hard sell sometimes. People see the wires and freak out. Sometimes...most times even, I will go a whole session without even pressing tab. It's not even necessary most of the time.

avasopht
Competition Winner

22 Nov 2022

What's most amazing about Reason is the community.

The rack gave me the environment to tinker and find my sound.

The community have new the insight, the patches, the discussion, etc

It's been 20 years now for me.

There are so many memories. Performances. People I've worked with.

I got a track on the radio, and that wouldn't have been possible without you guys (including those I might argue with).

I have been using Maschine for the last year, but I mix down, arrange and record vocals in Reason ... though I may go the RRP route.

Thing is, I actually like Reason's sequencer. I can live without some of the timeline tools or features like grouping because my Reason experience is seamless.

It might not have all the bells and whistles, but it is intuitive.

And I'm loving the look of VST3 in the rack. Adobe have been displaying vsts inline for a long while, .. but it was sometimes glitchy.

carvingcode

23 Nov 2022

Long time Reason user. I hope it never grows up to require keyboard shortcuts.

ab459

23 Nov 2022

Jagwah wrote:
19 Nov 2022
Good thread and yes we can always go deeper with a device or something else in Reason instead of buying something new!
Similar thoughts came to me recently, in connection with the realization of the full power of CV modulation, in relation to the effects when used in the RRP lol.
Damn, It's some abyss of possibilities.
In this regard, I am big grateful to the team at least for RRP creation.

Personally, only two things do not please me: such strange ignoring of bugs in major native devices (like Complex-1), and ruined UI (this blurriness) of classic devices in the new version at 100% size.

ProfessaKaos

24 Nov 2022

chimp_spanner wrote:
21 Nov 2022
ProfessaKaos wrote:
21 Nov 2022
Exactly! it's weird though because the perception among producers I know who have long settled in other DAWs is that it's too complicated for them. I do all I can to change that perception in the work I do out there but it's still a hard sell sometimes. People see the wires and freak out. Sometimes...most times even, I will go a whole session without even pressing tab. It's not even necessary most of the time.
Yeah I get the same reaction most of the time, and also people have never heard of it.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

selig
RE Developer

24 Nov 2022

ProfessaKaos wrote:
24 Nov 2022
chimp_spanner wrote:
21 Nov 2022

Yeah I get the same reaction most of the time, and also people have never heard of it.
Well I guess that’s progress, since folks used to dismiss it as a “toy” and not powerful/complex enough… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

motuscott

24 Nov 2022

Reason is the prettiest DAW.

so there
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

guitfnky

24 Nov 2022

selig wrote:
24 Nov 2022
ProfessaKaos wrote:
24 Nov 2022

Well I guess that’s progress, since folks used to dismiss it as a “toy” and not powerful/complex enough… ;)
funny, I used to think the idea that Reason is a toy was absurd, but the more I work in other DAWs—as Reason continues to stagnate compared to other DAW feature sets, the more I think the “Reason is a toy” crowd is right.

but that’s not the slight some would suggest. it’s called PLAYING music because it’s supposed to be fun. everything on the fun side could be considered a “toy”, and you need those toys to get anything done.

but at the end of the day, you also need practical tools—not ONLY toys. (yes, Reason offers some practical tools, but I can’t take anyone seriously who doesn’t acknowledge RS’ focus has been mostly on the toys.)

they’re the yin and yang of audio production. Pro Tools, for example, would be the practical, Reason would be the toys. you need both. if you want the best of both worlds, you may not want to go with separate tools to cover both sides (Pro Tools and Reason)—in those cases, you may consider something that does both well (Live, Logic, Bitwig, etc.). of course it depends on your focus as a producer.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Jagwah

24 Nov 2022

motuscott wrote:
24 Nov 2022
Reason is the prettiest DAW.

so there
If people can't see beauty in a nest of cables I don't know what they would see beauty in!

motuscott

25 Nov 2022

Jagwah wrote:
24 Nov 2022
If people can't see beauty in a nest of cables I don't know what they would see beauty in!
Plus, they twerk!

No contest.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

• Information