Reason is Amazing!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
littlejam

25 Nov 2022

hello,

motuscott for the win for twerking cables

if you know you know

cheers and eat well,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

aegisninja

25 Nov 2022

I was introduced to Reason in college in a class called MIDI - Electronic music. Right about that time I was looking to purchase my first real daw (I think I owned mixcraft at the time and I didn’t like it), and for various different classes I was taking (audio school) I had been using Pro Tools and Logic. Logic was ruled out as my purchase because I didn’t have a Mac, and Pro Tools was decidedly not fun.

Six years later now and I’m using Studio One as my daw, but I still recommend Reason to anyone just starting out for one reason and one reason only: Reason is the only daw I have ever used that actually makes the production process fun.

I miss it a lot, and though I use the rack plugin, I find myself wishing Reason Studios would just add those few things to allow me to use it as my primary daw again. When I need inspiration, I just open up Reason; and it’s all still there waiting for me like I never left, and maybe it’s ok that that’s we’re at in our relationship now.

Catblack

25 Nov 2022

I appreciate Reason. I've been using it since v 1.0. I can still open song files from Reason 1.0!

I am annoyed I can't do some things, or haven't figured out how to do them. Every few years I might trial another DAW and get really frustrated.

But that run me and Reason have had! It was my main and favorite creative tool for years.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

ProfessaKaos

26 Nov 2022

selig wrote:
24 Nov 2022
ProfessaKaos wrote:
24 Nov 2022

Yeah I get the same reaction most of the time, and also people have never heard of it.
Well I guess that’s progress, since folks used to dismiss it as a “toy” and not powerful/complex enough… ;)
I do also get some people look at me like I'm crazy for using Reason like they think it is a toy, so it is a bit of a mixed bag, but toys are fun and music is suppose to be fun. Reason is my toy to play with 😉
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

ebeneezer

26 Nov 2022

Nice thread! I decided to get into music production after a few years break in about 2009 and bought a sound card that came with a Reason Demo version. Within about 25 minutes of installing Reason, I'd decided it was amazing, I needed it and impulse bought it. I then found out it couldn't record audio or handle VSTs, but still, no regrets!

Agree with all the comments above about Reason having the fun factor that you don't see see much in other DAWs. As for the limitations that get mentioned again and again, I do wonder if that's a 'power user' issue. I really don't find myself being limited much by the mixer/sequencer, but then again, I don't have any external instruments, hardly use any VSTs and never play live so that might be why. But for what it's worth, I did show an Ableton-using friend around Reason and he was impressed. He was envious of the pitch editing feature in the sequencer, thought the piano roll was solid and just liked the general look and feel. Similarly, this youtube user "Schmorgle" does a video review of trying out Reason (
He's a big Ableton user but his Reason review is completely positive, there's none of the 'workflow/sequencer is years behind other DAWs' comments that seem to come up all the time elsewhere.

So, not trying to undermine the frustrations that some users have - the slow response to VST3 and M1 I can see being really annoying if you're affected by them! But while Reason might lack things other DAWs have, the opposite is also equally true IMO.

gritz

27 Nov 2022

I’ve used reason for years ! I’ve been tempted to explore other daws but feel now I’m so in tune with reason that by using other daws it would become apparent now much I would need to understand just to create a basic track in logic or pro tools. Yes the vst3 issue is a pain but I’m sure we will get there eventually and I can finally use ez drummer 3 and konkakt 7

Mistro17

02 Dec 2022

Why I love Reason:
It was my first
It's fun to use. I like the visual interaction of all the devices like a real rack with wires and all. Just looking at data, columns and rows context tabs is boring.
They added VST support
I can take it with me in Cubase or any other DAW if I wanted to.

And, I will always recognize the old Propellerhead logo over the new one.

• Information