How to keep synth arps in time when triggering via midi

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tobypearce

19 Nov 2022

There's a bit of latency on a track I'm working on. I'm making an arp line using a step sequencer in a vst synth - triggered by midi keyboard.

Is there a way I can 'quantize' the input so the sequence is right on the beat? Perhaps some kind of Player? Once the part is down I can quantize in the sequencer, of course, but it's not as much fun mucking about with this step sequencer part when I just can't trigger the midi right on the beat!
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

Loque

19 Nov 2022

I had the same problem yesterday. You can quantize while recording, but not while playing. Check the quantize area in the bottom play control.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Nov 2022

tobypearce wrote:
19 Nov 2022
There's a bit of latency on a track I'm working on. I'm making an arp line using a step sequencer in a vst synth - triggered by midi keyboard.

Is there a way I can 'quantize' the input so the sequence is right on the beat? Perhaps some kind of Player? Once the part is down I can quantize in the sequencer, of course, but it's not as much fun mucking about with this step sequencer part when I just can't trigger the midi right on the beat!
Isn’t there an option in the synth to sync to host?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

-008'

19 Nov 2022

you can do it! You can use a single solitary Thor, or just use my old CorrecTime patches.

I just realized that my little kludge is 10+ years old idea lol. I once sent it to the props, hoping they would build it into the regroove mixer or something. The official response was like "what for?" :thumbup:

Have also just realized that 4 years AFTER that - Bitwig came along - and it has now already added the same input quantization "patch", for the users to simply drop onto their instrument chains. It's disappointing.

I am still working on my updates but, im attaching here an updated combi 2 for straight CT w/Kong.
just take a gate out of the kong pad you use and put it in the cv gate for the VSTs
hope it helps
Attachments
-008' CT 1.0 [Blank Kong] cmb 2.rar
(614.68 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

huggermugger

19 Nov 2022

This is a puzzler. My first thought was an RE from Robotic Bean called Select CV Switch, that can switch CV/Gate routings snapped to a bar or beat. What I'm imagining is, you play the new chord sometime during the bar before you want the change to happen, and Select CV switches to that new chord when it snaps on the next bar.

But the challenge I foresee is getting a chord into it in realtime, holding the chord while you let go and play the next chord, and then while you're playing the next chord, switching it (it uses incoming MIDI notes to switch, and since you're also playing MIDI notes to dictate the arpeggiated chord, there's a conflict). I'm going to fiddle around with this today, for fun, but I'm kind of thinking it won't work. Maybe someone else here can suggest a way.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... cv-switch/

tobypearce

19 Nov 2022

huggermugger wrote:
19 Nov 2022
What I'm imagining is, you play the new chord sometime during the bar before you want the change to happen, and Select CV switches to that new chord when it snaps on the next bar.
This is exactly the kind of thing I have in mind - the same as how Dr rex does it when you change loops in between bars.

tobypearce

28 Nov 2022

Did you ever find a solution?

• Information