Naming tracks

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
BigJase82

08 Nov 2022

Hi

Does anyone know why I can change the name of an audio track either in the sequencer or the mixer and it updates correctly to both, but I can't change a mix channel that has a combinator on it and have that update? I seem to have to change them individually.

Thanks

jam-s

08 Nov 2022

That's by design so you can have custom names on the mix channels. If you update the name of the combinator it should also update to the mix channel unless you've customised/renamed it before.

For audio tracks that distinction is not needed, as there would be no point in this, while more complex FX chains/combis might need a different name to keep things organised.

selig
RE Developer

08 Nov 2022

jam-s wrote:
08 Nov 2022
That's by design so you can have custom names on the mix channels. If you update the name of the combinator it should also update to the mix channel unless you've customised/renamed it before.
And if you HAVE ‘customized’ it (the Mix Channel name/text) all you need to do is select the text and hit delete - now the Mix Channel will follow the Combinator.

Bottom line: name your DEVICES in the rack or on the sequencer tracks and the rest will follow.

In cases you don’t want this, like having 10 mix channels all named ReDrum Kit or similar, change the text in the mixer (or in the rack on the Mix Channels).
Selig Audio, LLC

BigJase82

08 Nov 2022

If I pull up a combinator in the rack view and change the name of the mix channel that is assigned to the combi, then I get the name changed on the mix channel in rack view and the change on the mixer channel but not in the sequencer. If I change the name of the combi in rack view, the combi name gets changed and the name changes in the sequencer but not on the channel in the mixer.

ljekio

08 Nov 2022

Interesting: if I use sidechain from external source in VST fx, what placed into mix channel, name of channel will loose link with name of connected instrument and will "mix channel" again. So been in R11, but i dunno about R12.

selig
RE Developer

08 Nov 2022

BigJase82 wrote:
08 Nov 2022
If I pull up a combinator in the rack view and change the name of the mix channel that is assigned to the combi, then I get the name changed on the mix channel in rack view and the change on the mixer channel but not in the sequencer.

Thats right - you didn’t change the device/sequencer name, just the Mix Channel name so that totally makes sense. However, in doing so you have broken the ‘automatic’ link between the device/track and the mixer channel (see below).
BigJase82 wrote:
08 Nov 2022
If I change the name of the combi in rack view, the combi name gets changed and the name changes in the sequencer but not on the channel in the mixer.
This is ONLY true AFTER you manually change the name of the Mix Channel, breaking the link. To restore the link so this doesn’t happen just select the Mix Channel text and hit ‘delete’. NOW when you change the Combinator name, it’s Mix Channel will also change. Make sense?
Selig Audio, LLC

BigJase82

11 Nov 2022

It does, but what I suppose I'm looking for is to be able to change the name on any device, in any view and have it automatically changed to the other views/layouts.

selig
RE Developer

11 Nov 2022

BigJase82 wrote:
11 Nov 2022
It does, but what I suppose I'm looking for is to be able to change the name on any device, in any view and have it automatically changed to the other views/layouts.
That’s the way it works by default. What may be confusing is your word “device”. Mix Channels are not ‘devices’ in this context.
If you change the device name in the rack or in the sequencer it works as expected by default.
Devices do not appear in the mixer, only Mix Channels, so obviously you cannot change the device name in the mixer!

Here’s why it works this way - if you have a device that has multiple outputs like ReDrum, you can connect multiple Mix Channels to this device. You will likely want the Mix Channels to have more specific names than “ReDrum1” or similar. If you change the kick channel name to KICK, you would NOT want the device name to change to KICK! Then what should happen if you change the snare channel to SNARE - should the ReDrum be renamed to SNARE?
You likely want the ReDrum device name to remain the same and not follow the Mix Channel name, right?

And that’s how it works now. If you change the device name in the rack or sequencer without changing the Mix Channel name, everything stays in sync as expected. But this approach allows you to edit that link so that Mix Channels can have more meaningful names if needed. To ‘restore’ the connection simply select the text in the Mix Channel and hit delete!

Making sense yet?
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information