Reason 12 F***** autosave

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
GluhovProd

30 Oct 2022

Reason 12 without autosave lost my work progress because closed unexpectedly. In 2022-2023 all DAW's have this function! The developers don't give a damn about what users have been asking for so many years. Stupid idiots can't make a simple timer on the "save" button. If you are a developer, you should know how easy it is.

Ок! I solved the problem like this: i have logitech g604 mouse. G Hub software can make a macros. Let's do it!

1. First you need to switch the mode to loop
2. Uncheck standard delay
3. Set up your personal time to autosave. ( 1 min = 60.000 milliseconds)

Done! Now, if you press the mouse button after opening the project, it will save the file indefinitely at the interval specified in the macro.

P.S.: Maybe if everyone who reads this post opens a ticket, the developers will finally do something. Personally, I opened the ticket!

I wish everyone to save their projects and not get into such situations! :thumbup:
Attachments
Снимок экрана 2022-10-31 в 01.47.17.png
Снимок экрана 2022-10-31 в 01.47.17.png (205.35 KiB) Viewed 5622 times
Снимок экрана 2022-10-31 в 01.47.28.png
Снимок экрана 2022-10-31 в 01.47.28.png (50.51 KiB) Viewed 5622 times

jaeproduced

31 Oct 2022

I feel you I manually save every time I make a change the power went out one time and I lost a song idea that was almost finished but I hadn't saved it yet. So I feel your pain...

Rising Night Wave

31 Oct 2022

i also am used to do manual save every minute-two minutes or major change.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

31 Oct 2022

That sucks.
Is this a problem that has occured only in R12 or has it happened in earlier versions as well?
I'm asking because I'm still going back and forth whether or not it's worth upgrading from R11 to 12. Mimic would be nice to have. But I can't help but think "Why fix something that isn't broken?". Especially if an upgrade could possibly break what worked before.

Even though I never get crashes in R11, I like other people here save very often, just in case.
For me personally I wouldn't want Reason to autosave. Sometimes I make changes I don't want to keep. But still, having the option to do so would probably be a good idea for those that want it.

Pepin

31 Oct 2022

Reason would first need non-blocking save for autosave to be pleasant.
Saving can take quite a while, especially with heavy NN-XT patches.
TritoneAddiction wrote:
31 Oct 2022
For me personally I wouldn't want Reason to autosave. Sometimes I make changes I don't want to keep. But still, having the option to do so would probably be a good idea for those that want it.
Autosave could be more like a backup that gets restored after a crash. It could be saved to a separate file.

joeyluck

31 Oct 2022

I often have recovered files after crashes. But coincidentally most all of my crashes that happen when I haven't saved, are when I'm just screwing around. So I can't say I've ever tried to use a recovered file. Was there one in this instance? Does that work?

GluhovProd

31 Oct 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
31 Oct 2022
Is this a problem that has occured only in R12 or has it happened in earlier versions as well?
I use Reason since version 12. If I used only stock plugins (RE), Reason worked fine, no problem. But some "external" plugins don't have this stability. By the way, see picture in attachment. This RE - Carve EQ Ducker.
TritoneAddiction wrote:
31 Oct 2022
For me personally I wouldn't want Reason to autosave.
Presonus Studio One have pretty simple solution - it has several autosave files that are signed by date and time. You can always return to the moment you need. What's more, there is a "Scratch Pad " function that allows you to make variations of parts without changing them in the main sequencer window.

When I first started using R12, I was ecstatic! I really like the concept of the rack and the visual style of the routing. But .... How many truly useful functions it does not have. It's frustrating and makes me wonder, where did I spend my money? Especially considering that they do not plan to develop DAW itself, as far as I understand. On reddit one person answering the question, would he like to buy Reason? He answered very funny - when Reason 16 comes out. And I understand him!
Attachments
Снимок экрана 2022-10-31 в 15.10.20.png
Снимок экрана 2022-10-31 в 15.10.20.png (134.55 KiB) Viewed 5390 times
Снимок экрана 2022-09-29 в 08.56.51.png
Снимок экрана 2022-09-29 в 08.56.51.png (61.85 KiB) Viewed 5391 times

Jackjackdaw

31 Oct 2022

I think the problem is that reason saves all the audio in the project file. Cubase for example, saves all the audio separately in the project pool and the file just references it and is in itself small. Reason files are ginormous.

Chi-Individual

31 Oct 2022

GluhovProd wrote:
31 Oct 2022
It's frustrating and makes me wonder, where did I spend my money? Especially considering that they do not plan to develop DAW itself, as far as I understand.
Can you quote the source where you got this information? Was this a statement directly from RS or are you speculating?

GluhovProd

31 Oct 2022

Chi-Individual wrote:
31 Oct 2022
Can you quote the source where you got this information? Was this a statement directly from RS or are you speculating?
It's my opinion. No speculation. Moreover, they are not fools to talk about it openly. But we all see what is being emphasized and promoted RRP, not a DAW.

EpiGenetik

31 Oct 2022

GluhovProd wrote:
31 Oct 2022
Chi-Individual wrote:
31 Oct 2022
It's my opinion. No speculation. Moreover, they are not fools to talk about it openly. But we all see what is being emphasized and promoted RRP, not a DAW.
Respectfully, this is not true. Please don't start rumour-mongering, the world has enough problems as it is.

Also respectfully, May I state that I am one of those who wishes for autosave not to be included - it's a terrible idea.

If it's included as a preference, so that you don't have to have it switched on, then this is acceptable. Otherwise it's an absolute no-no.

Chi-Individual

31 Oct 2022

GluhovProd wrote:
31 Oct 2022
Just saying.
Attachments
9E8D57DE-A175-4BBE-B7A3-FB6A41D21629.jpeg
9E8D57DE-A175-4BBE-B7A3-FB6A41D21629.jpeg (396.58 KiB) Viewed 5310 times

avasopht
Competition Winner

31 Oct 2022

GluhovProd wrote:
31 Oct 2022
Why would working on the DAW require them to emphasize and promote the DAW over RRP?

Remember, promotions have financial goals, and RRP might yield much more sales to new users who already have (or would have gone don't to purchase) another DAW. We already know Reason is not a frontrunner for DAWs, so it would be a losing strategy to emphasize the DAW over the RRP in promos.

We will only know DAW development has stopped after the fact, not before.

It's easy and cheap to make this sort of speculation, but what you've observed could happen just as easily if the DAW was their #1 priority.

Promoting the DAW wouldn't make sense right now as the DAW is not strong enough to compete with the likes of Studio One, ProTools and Cubase.

EnochLight

31 Oct 2022

GluhovProd wrote:
30 Oct 2022
The developers don't give a damn about what users have been asking for so many years. Stupid idiots can't make a simple timer on the "save" button. If you are a developer, you should know how easy it is.
Mod note: we do not allow personal attacks or name calling. Devs are people, and some do come here on occasion. I get that you're upset, and your feelings are totally warranted, but please re-acquaint yourself with the forum rules here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7500911
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

GluhovProd

31 Oct 2022

EnochLight wrote:
31 Oct 2022
Mod note: we do not allow personal attacks or name calling. Devs are people, and some do come here on occasion. I get that you're upset, and your feelings are totally warranted, but please re-acquaint yourself with the forum rules here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7500911
I understood you! I'll try to be more restrained. Thanks!

GluhovProd

31 Oct 2022

Chi-Individual wrote:
31 Oct 2022
Just saying.
My mistake is that I expressed my opinion, but did not indicate that this is ONLY my opinion. Although I immediately replied that I did not expect any speculation. By the way, if you read the forum, the same idea was expressed by many users. In many topics.

Chi-Individual

31 Oct 2022

GluhovProd wrote:
31 Oct 2022
Chi-Individual wrote:
31 Oct 2022
Just saying.
My mistake is that I expressed my opinion, but did not indicate that this is ONLY my opinion. Although I immediately replied that I did not expect any speculation. By the way, if you read the forum, the same idea was expressed by many users. In many topics.
Yes it has and from what I’ve seen it’s been challenged each time as well just like you’ve been challenged. This isn’t anything personal against you. Just asked if you had a source for your statement or was it speculation. That’s all.

selig
RE Developer

31 Oct 2022

I USED to be in the "say no to autosave" camp, that is until I used a DAW with autosave…
I have found absolutely no down side to this feature, at least not yet. ;)

Making changes you may not want to keep? Create a bookmark so you can come right back to the previous point after any number of changes. This works better than hitting undo a bunch of times or closing without saving and then re-opening!

I don't agree it's a "terrible idea" or a "no-no", at least not now that I've experienced it in practice. I feel I don't have to change the way I work whatsoever when working in LUNA, other than not needing to hit save all the time - IMO it actually works MORE 'as expected' than having to remember to manually save. As far as I can tell (I've only worked on LUNA for a few months now), there's no way you can accidentally write over data, or forget to save and crash/loose everything since the last save (both of which have happened to Reason users recently from what I've read here and on FB Reason forums).

And the 'cherry on top" of all of this is that I FINALLY have "versions" which I've been requesting for Reason since R6.5!
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

31 Oct 2022

GluhovProd wrote:
31 Oct 2022
where did I spend my money? Especially considering that they do not plan to develop DAW itself, as far as I understand.
It is a well known public fact that they are currently working on VST3 support - for Reason DAW proper. So, not sure you understand correctly. Also, the complete re-write of how Reason handles CPU threads (that was just released) mostly illustrates gains in Reason DAW. And M1 support for Mac will obviously come for Reason DAW. In other words...

not-dead-yet.gif
not-dead-yet.gif (569.51 KiB) Viewed 5166 times

:lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Jackjackdaw

31 Oct 2022

I am a big fan of cloud storage with version history. I take advantage of it all the time with Adobe CC and MS OneDrive. This could be something that actually gave value to the R+ sub for me, because the sound packs surely don’t. Coupled with a mobile app that let you preview and quick export projects and it would be useful.

Jagwah

31 Oct 2022

GluhovProd wrote:
31 Oct 2022
By the way, if you read the forum, the same idea was expressed by many users. In many topics.
I understand this. I also was not aware that the announcement of VST 3 support marked the end of DAW support speculation as it apparently 100% confirms the stand alone DAW being worked on. Members of this forum have confirmed this numerous times now. After all the years of speculation and worry about it, it would be nice if RS could just outright say it, but I guess they did when announcing VST 3 support.
selig wrote:
31 Oct 2022
I USED to be in the "say no to autosave" camp, that is until I used a DAW with autosave…
I have found absolutely no down side to this feature, at least not yet. ;)
Jackjackdaw pointed out the files would be huge because of the way Reason saves audio, I can't see this not being a problem with auto save in Reason unless there is some option / solution to accommodate it?

Tinnitus

01 Nov 2022

Regular manual saving is the way forwards.
Also buying a cheap (ish) UPS helps with power outage save prolonged PC life.

However file sizes for multiple sizes can be a problem.

Also you may not wish to auto save if you are trying things out and need to revert.

And to the chap who had a dig at the developers, its the management that no doubt make the strategic development choices, not the Devs. Despite my prior frustration, I'm happy that they are working on moving the product forwards.

DaveyG

01 Nov 2022

I think the way Reason saves everything in one huge file is a real point of vulnerability. One glitch on a disk write and the file is screwed and it doesn't matter how many saves you have made unless you have been obsessive enough to regularly save under different names.

Of course, it didn't matter so much back in the day when Reason was the most bulletproof and reliable thing in the software world. These days they seem to have caught up with the software mentality that you can ship it when it's mostly good enough rather than when it is rock solid.

Auto save and auto backups are options that can use up lots of disk space but disk space is cheap, and as long as it's a user option then everyone is happy. Even a simple option to keep the last X versions would help. So every time you save it renames the current file to "song.backup1" and similar for earlier versions - hence you always have a few previous versions available should you need them. I'll put it on their roadmap. At current rate of progress they'll get around to looking at it in about 2030.

crimsonwarlock

01 Nov 2022

A possible solution is to have an autosave system that creates a copy of your project with a different extension (.crash for example) and save to this file every few minutes. No settings needed. This is used by numerous other programs, I'm petty sure even by some DAWs.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Propellerhands

01 Nov 2022

Tinnitus wrote:
01 Nov 2022
Regular manual saving is the way forwards.
Also buying a cheap (ish) UPS helps with power outage save prolonged PC life.

However file sizes for multiple sizes can be a problem.

Also you may not wish to auto save if you are trying things out and need to revert.

And to the chap who had a dig at the developers, its the management that no doubt make the strategic development choices, not the Devs. Despite my prior frustration, I'm happy that they are working on moving the product forwards.
It's no longer 2006 where disk space was such a treasure to have. Everyone has at least 1TB of SSD or HDD even on their smallest laptops. So I personally see absolutely no rational reason why auto-save could not be implemented. Reason is the most stable DAW in existence until you start introducing 3rd party plugins. Then auto-save becomes crucial. And on top of that, once you close the DAW for the day you can just delete unused auto-save files and next day start again, not?
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

• Information