Reason 12.2.9 Release Notes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tronam

09 Nov 2022

Re8et wrote:
17 Oct 2022
…maybe it's just me, or I'm lucky all plugins I own have a native M1 version... the only exception solar being VcV rack, which I run on the Win 10 x86 PC anyway. I like to keep to stuff simple. I miss win XP enough by now I'm not entirely sure why people wants to complicate things further than they possibly are already... well done Devs!!!!
It’s not really that lucky anymore. In less than 2 years the list of fully M1 native audio software includes 15+ DAW/Hosts and 2500+ plugins from over 500 developers. The few which aren’t are either still in development or abandonware at this point. Heck, even slowpoke Lennard who took 8 years to update Sylenth1 to 64-bit just announced M1 native beta access for current users. The only DAWs left are Reason and Protools.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

tronam

09 Nov 2022

selig wrote:
11 Oct 2022
On a more positive note, the same song that would crawl to almost a halt plays PERFECTLY at a buffer of 64 samples at the default CPU setting on my new M1 Studio Max. The previous version needed 1024 sample buffers and turning off Multi-Core Rendering to play without glitches. Impressive performance indeed.
I should note that I’ve never been able to get 64 samples to play complex songs on any previous systems I’ve owned or worked on!
[there is some minor glitching with fast scrolling @ 64 samples, but none at higher buffer settings]
I had the same experience on my Mac Studio. Previous projects that were either in the red or glitching, even at high buffer sizes, are suddenly barely registering on the CPU meter. Was Reason not assigning the audio threads to the performance cores previously?

avasopht
Competition Winner

09 Nov 2022

tronam wrote:
09 Nov 2022
Reason not assigning the audio threads to the performance cores previously?
AFAIK you can't actually assign to performance cores, but starting the thread as high priority will most likely lead to it running on a performance core.

And I'm guessing R12 had nothing specific for M1, so just started threads the way they've been started for the last decade.

Mataya

12 Nov 2022

Does somebody know where the 1.5GB for each update is downloaded, so I can delete them?

tx
M

Yonatan

12 Nov 2022

Mataya wrote:
12 Nov 2022
Does somebody know where the 1.5GB for each update is downloaded, so I can delete them?

tx
M
I wonder the same, feels a bit strange having to download that amount each little bug fix update. My guess is that the whole package with sampled instruments are included and overwrites in same folder as already has the sample based core instruments. Is that so? I would like having the option to just download the DAW app when nothing has been updated to the core instruments. I mean, if changes is done, it is ok, but not every code tweak update.

EnochLight

12 Nov 2022

1.5 GB is an insignificant pittance these days IMHO, and usually dumped in your OS temp directory with all of the other installer temp stuff you’ve ever installed on your computer. If it’s wearing on your conscience that bad, you need to empty that. However, if your OS temp folder is so full it’s causing you issues, you’ve got bigger things to address than Reason updates.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Mataya

12 Nov 2022

EnochLight wrote:
12 Nov 2022
1.5 GB is an insignificant pittance these days IMHO, and usually dumped in your OS temp directory with all of the other installer temp stuff you’ve ever installed on your computer. If it’s wearing on your conscience that bad, you need to empty that. However, if your OS temp folder is so full it’s causing you issues, you’ve got bigger things to address than Reason updates.
What the heck are you talking about? I have a small partition dedicated to my OS and quite a few software don't let me change content folder to another partition and it fills up pretty quick. And there can be another 100 reasons why you need space on C:. You download 3 Reason updates and you have 6GB sitting somewhere for no reason. It's not wearing on my conscience, just want to get rid of it because there's no point of it sitting there.
And 1.5gb download for a few tweaks is not strange...it's moronic.

M

jam-s

12 Nov 2022

Yonatan wrote:
12 Nov 2022
I wonder the same, feels a bit strange having to download that amount each little bug fix update. My guess is that the whole package with sampled instruments are included and overwrites in same folder as already has the sample based core instruments. Is that so? I would like having the option to just download the DAW app when nothing has been updated to the core instruments. I mean, if changes is done, it is ok, but not every code tweak update.
The update is basically just a full installer package (without soundbanks). Smart developers with pride use xdelta patches or an application file layout that is optimised for minimal size updates. With the switch to the more agile model going the extra mile here could drastically reduce traffic on the RS CDN for auto-updates.

But as those updates tend to be only a few per year, I suppose the traffic from Refill and RE downloads is much higher. So there might be no real incentive for the management to allocate precious developer time to this. And heck, I'd rather see them implement FLAC/ogg support first (which imho is a job a coding intern could do in about a month max).

EnochLight

12 Nov 2022

Mataya wrote:
12 Nov 2022
What the heck are you talking about? I have a small partition dedicated to my OS and quite a few software don't let me change content folder to another partition and it fills up pretty quick. And there can be another 100 reasons why you need space on C:. You download 3 Reason updates and you have 6GB sitting somewhere for no reason. It's not wearing on my conscience, just want to get rid of it because there's no point of it sitting there.
And 1.5gb download for a few tweaks is not strange...it's moronic.

M
Like I said, empty your OS temp drives - that's where all of that crap is dumped. Do you know where they are? If not, I can provide a list.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

DaveyG

12 Nov 2022

I also have a relatively small SSD drive for the OS so I do need to keep a tight rein on big stuff that can't be relocated.

If you want to know where the space is going on Windows I can recommend the free WinDirStat: https://windirstat.net/
It takes a while to scan a whole disk but then it presents the results in a handy expandable tree that shows you where the big stuff is.

If you run Google Chrome you''ll be shocked at how much space it is using in your AppData\Local folder....

Yonatan

12 Nov 2022

These days ssd still very limited when shipps with laptop computers.
And some people dont have a very fast internet connection. So I do thiink 1.5 gb each small update is an issue. I can live with it but it is not good.

tronam

05 Dec 2022

It's odd to me how people can spend so much on GPUs, LED lights, accessories etc... and then cheap out on the primary OS drive. For anyone even remotely interested in content creation in the 2020s I couldn't imagine getting anything less than 1TB for the main drive. It isn't just for what's needed now, but longterm growth in the future, not to mention SSD size impacting both write cycle longevity and (often) performance.

Yonatan

06 Dec 2022

tronam wrote:
05 Dec 2022
It's odd to me how people can spend so much on GPUs, LED lights, accessories etc... and then cheap out on the primary OS drive. For anyone even remotely interested in content creation in the 2020s I couldn't imagine getting anything less than 1TB for the main drive. It isn't just for what's needed now, but longterm growth in the future, not to mention SSD size impacting both write cycle longevity and (often) performance.
I have none of these extras but just an older MacBook with 500gb. And some students may buy a MacBook Air and those start on 240gb, so it is still a reality that ssd drives are not huge. Not much happened through the years. And Reason is not a PRO app in the sense that ProTools are, so cant expect each user is a content creator producer.
Offcourse, if to by a new MacBook, I would have 1 TB minimum, ideally more but it cost a lot to add.
Having external drives is a must these days.
My dream Machine is a Mac Studio with 8gb internal to really be able to have the best inside and also work with video.

Yonatan

06 Dec 2022

So VST3 Will be the 12.3 update.
Wonder if they will add something else except bugfixes.
Silicon support come later?

Heater

06 Dec 2022

Yonatan wrote:
06 Dec 2022
Silicon support come later?
Not likely until next year now.

EnochLight

06 Dec 2022

Yonatan wrote:
06 Dec 2022
And Reason is not a PRO app in the sense that ProTools are

I mean.. I get that Reason and Pro Tools are two DIFFERENT apps that serve different purposes, but Reason is absolutely 100% a PRO app for music creation.

selig
RE Developer

06 Dec 2022

EnochLight wrote:
06 Dec 2022
Yonatan wrote:
06 Dec 2022
And Reason is not a PRO app in the sense that ProTools are

I mean.. I get that Reason and Pro Tools are two DIFFERENT apps that serve different purposes, but Reason is absolutely 100% a PRO app for music creation.
I agree with both statements.
Reason is not a PRO app in the sense that Pro Tools is.
Reason and Pro Tools serve different purposes.

And thus IMO (as someone who has used both apps more than any others over the years), Reason is a pro music creation app, Pro Tools is a pro music production app.
Captain Obvious out! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

06 Dec 2022

selig wrote:
06 Dec 2022
And thus IMO (as someone who has used both apps more than any others over the years), Reason is a pro music creation app, Pro Tools is a pro music production app.
Captain Obvious out! ;)
I'll go as far to say that Reason is also a PRO music production app. Pretty much anything someone needs to do to produce is included in the standalone DAW, assuming you learn to work that way. And of course, plenty of VST's can fill the missing holes. :thumbup:

selig
RE Developer

06 Dec 2022

EnochLight wrote:
06 Dec 2022
selig wrote:
06 Dec 2022
Captain Obvious out! ;)
I'll go as far to say that Reason is also a PRO music production app. Pretty much anything someone needs to do to produce is included in the standalone DAW, assuming you learn to work that way. And of course, plenty of VST's can fill the missing holes. :thumbup:
Tracking bands, mixing from a control surface with automation, handling multiple headphones mixes, handling a large number of inputs (with no way to label them), saving multiple mix version without having to save all the audio, fader automation not scaling properly or reading in decibels, lack of import for session data, lack of edit groups, and countless others would have all the pro engineer/producers I know pulling out their hair. So in my experience, Reason doesn’t make for a pro production tool. But that’s just my experience and I realize there are many different ways to work.
Selig Audio, LLC

crimsonwarlock

06 Dec 2022

selig wrote:
06 Dec 2022
mixing from a control surface with automation...
Last time I checked, that works. Although admittedly, it works with only two of the three fader groups on my Tascam US-2400. Didn't get around to fix that, but I'm certain that some remote-codec-fu will solve that :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

selig
RE Developer

06 Dec 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
06 Dec 2022
selig wrote:
06 Dec 2022
mixing from a control surface with automation...
Last time I checked, that works. Although admittedly, it works with only two of the three fader groups on my Tascam US-2400. Didn't get around to fix that, but I'm certain that some remote-codec-fu will solve that :puf_wink:
Trim automation is non-existent and one of the most used modes in automated mixing in my experience. Yes you can write initial levels with any controller and Reason (but not with any indication of decibel values). So to do a pass with hardware to bump the chorus vocal up 1 dB is impossible in Reason and yet a very common task in other DAWs. Lack of fader groups is another area that makes things more difficult than it should be in Reason. And so on…
Have I made ‘pro’ mixes in Reason? I like to think so (I’ve been paid to do it so I guess that makes it a ‘pro’ mix). BUT, I did this after spending 10 years getting to know Reason as a composer tool - not sure how many other pros would be willing to do the same…
[EDIT: to be clear regarding automation, if you select a group of automation points for mix faders, raising or lowering all of them does not yield the expected results because each level will be moved by a different decibel amount. This is because the 0-1000 range used by faders is not linear with regard to decibels. Meaning, incrementing an automation point by even 1 step produces a different level change for every unique automation value! Definitely not going to be used by any pros I know, myself included.]
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

06 Dec 2022

selig wrote:
06 Dec 2022
But that’s just my experience and I realize there are many different ways to work.
^^ THIS ^^

:thumbup:

All I know is that, if the artist videos published over the past decade is any indication, plenty of professionals do use it in a professional production capacity. I don't deny that there are specific areas of various production requirements where it falls short, though - especially compared to the examples you mentioned.

joeyluck

06 Dec 2022

Well you see, when you upgrade from 12.2.9 to 12.2.10, that's where it really goes pro! :P

I was wondering why this thread was being brought back to life and keeps getting bumped. Turns out it doesn't seem like anything specific to 12.2.9.

EnochLight

06 Dec 2022

joeyluck wrote:
06 Dec 2022
I was wondering why this thread was being brought back to life and keeps getting bumped. Turns out it doesn't seem like anything specific to 12.2.9.
Nah we're sort of just rambling on about stuff. Since we're on 12.2.10 at this point, maybe we should lock? What do you think?

joeyluck

06 Dec 2022

EnochLight wrote:
06 Dec 2022
joeyluck wrote:
06 Dec 2022
Nah we're sort of just rambling on about stuff. Since we're on 12.2.10 at this point, maybe we should lock? What do you think?
Hehe I was just messing with y'all. I think it's fine just as long as folks are aware that this thread is not about the latest version. We typically keep them unlocked in case someone has a follow-up comment related specifically to something involving a certain version.

• Information