Reason 12.2.9 Release Notes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
PropitiousME

26 Oct 2022

Saw courtesy of Splice there was a 90-day free trial code of R+ on tap. It's been quite awhile since I last poked around here. Figured WTH, lets see if they've managed to put out the fires with R12? Initial impressions were OK going in, but after about 30-mins the issues started cropping up... seems this road still has travel left. Anyone else encountered issues with the companion app eating your CPU / RAM with locked up instances (multiple)? After going in/out of R12 to open various demos and monitor performance in task manager (which now appears to be on par with 11 Suite) I noticed some issues after the last project close.

System was stuck at a constant burn of ~25% CPU and a good chunk of RAM (~22% of 32GB). The culprit(s):

This is on a dedicated media box that doesn't get touched for anything but DAW related functions (equates to a clean, heavily maintained Win10 installation). I'm sure this is related to the fact the companion app is automatically launched every time you spin up R12 standalone. I was closing it out each time I initially went in. I don't want to see companion and I don't want it taking resources (regardless of how big / small that may be). It obviously crapped out during one of the transitions and then started piling up with a "train wreck" effect. Had to kill two parent processes here. R11 Suite still running like a rock with zero gremlins.

Windows is a fickle beast, but this is most likely just the typical RS effect. Keep grinding team. :reason: :geek:

joeyluck

26 Oct 2022

jam-s wrote:
26 Oct 2022
whitewolfmusic wrote:
26 Oct 2022
Good update. I know you are busy with VST3 'n stuff, but could you guys finally have a look at the inconsistent width of the graphics of rack devices? This really triggers me. The rack looks half-assed and messy these days.
I think that's by design so that a mix channel now can host more than one combinator (v2) patch. So I think we're stuck with this just as we're stuck with the downgrade of the mixer where the insert FX knobs were simply ripped out. :(
I had suggested to do something like this... Making the wooden rails wider and then making the insert container pop out from that.

insert suggestion.png
insert suggestion.png (235.38 KiB) Viewed 4079 times

I guess that might also bug some people? But I kind of like the idea of not having empty space and then having inserts kind of jut out when opened.

jam-s

27 Oct 2022

joeyluck wrote:
26 Oct 2022
I had suggested to do something like this... Making the wooden rails wider and then making the insert container pop out from that.

insert suggestion.png

I guess that might also bug some people? But I kind of like the idea of not having empty space and then having inserts kind of jut out when opened.
I think an option which builds on this Idea of bigger Rack rails would be to have the inserts marked via some long tape strip on the Rack rails instead of a pop out. I think this could be done very realistic looking and visually pleasing.

avasopht
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2022

I'd have just asked how they'd do it in real life.

What they've got isn't too far off. All that's missing is some adapter between rack devices and the wider rack.

Steedus
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2022

Loque wrote:
26 Oct 2022
Steedus wrote:
26 Oct 2022
I got over the gaps in the rack very quickly. I just wish they updated the wood rails. It's a stupid little aesthetic thing, but something I'd definitely appreciate haha.
Yea, told Soundtoys the same with their UI, but they won't listen. Can't: believe they can still sell their products...

And Moog uses wood for synths in the 21st century too... Unbelievable...
Hah I actually want them to look more woody :mrgreen: like in the announcement trailer when they superimposed the rack with Ryan’s real rack sides.

joeyluck

27 Oct 2022

avasopht wrote:
27 Oct 2022
I'd have just asked how they'd do it in real life.

What they've got isn't too far off. All that's missing is some adapter between rack devices and the wider rack.
Here was another idea I had suggested, just extending the rack rails. The first one, simply extending them to meet the wood. And on the other, some sort of vented look.

Extend rack rails 1.png
Extend rack rails 1.png (190.22 KiB) Viewed 3949 times

Extend rack rails 2.png
Extend rack rails 2.png (187.82 KiB) Viewed 3949 times

joeyluck

27 Oct 2022

Steedus wrote:
27 Oct 2022
Loque wrote:
26 Oct 2022

Yea, told Soundtoys the same with their UI, but they won't listen. Can't: believe they can still sell their products...

And Moog uses wood for synths in the 21st century too... Unbelievable...
Hah I actually want them to look more woody :mrgreen: like in the announcement trailer when they superimposed the rack with Ryan’s real rack sides.
I think those were the ones I used for this mockup lol

Steedus
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2022

The extended metal rack rails look legit good @joeyluck 👍

Biolumin3sc3nt

28 Oct 2022

joeyluck wrote:
27 Oct 2022
Steedus wrote:
27 Oct 2022

I think those were the ones I used for this mockup lol

Oh damn, well now that I've seen it like that -- I want it! That's brilliant!

selig
RE Developer

28 Oct 2022

PropitiousME wrote:
26 Oct 2022
…I'm sure this is related to the fact the companion app is automatically launched every time you spin up R12 standalone. I was closing it out each time I initially went in. I don't want to see companion and I don't want it taking resources (regardless of how big / small that may be). It obviously crapped out during one of the transitions and then started piling up with a "train wreck" effect. Had to kill two parent processes here. R11 Suite still running like a rock with zero gremlins.
You can disable auto launch of Companion in the prefs IIRC…
Selig Audio, LLC

ThuslaDoom

28 Oct 2022

Really, aside from vst3 and M1 support, the main things I want are:

ALLOW US TO MOVE THE REFILLS/OPTIONAL CONTENT/RACK EXTENSIONS TO SOMETHING OTHER THAN OUR MAIN DISK.

ALLOW US TO MOVE THE CACHE (which apparently never gets cleared) TO ANOTHER DISK.

This can't be hard guys. I know you can do it on windows with symlinks, but it won't work on OSX. Really you shouldn't even have to use a hacky way of doing it. It should be an option in the preferences just like almost every other piece of software. I have no problem putting all my big NI and Arturia content on another drive.

In the days of small SSDs built into computers, it's really annoying to have Reason consume this much space on my primary drive.

EnochLight

28 Oct 2022

ThuslaDoom wrote:
28 Oct 2022
ALLOW US TO MOVE THE CACHE (which apparently never gets cleared) TO ANOTHER DISK.
Not "cleared" completely, but the cache (known in Reason as the "Scratch Disk") is not supposed to grow any larger than 20 GB if I remember correctly. Does anyone have a Reason cache larger than this?

scratchy.JPG
scratchy.JPG (143.98 KiB) Viewed 3706 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

mcatalao
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2022

EnochLight wrote:
28 Oct 2022

Not "cleared" completely, but the cache (known in Reason as the "Scratch Disk") is not supposed to grow any larger than 20 GB if I remember correctly. Does anyone have a Reason cache larger than this?

And it's already movable.

EnochLight

28 Oct 2022

mcatalao wrote:
28 Oct 2022
EnochLight wrote:
28 Oct 2022

And it's already movable.
That too! :clap: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Loque

28 Oct 2022

mcatalao wrote:
18 Oct 2022
Loque wrote:
17 Oct 2022
(...)
Anybody tried the performance measuring song laying around here somewhere on RT?
Ok. I tried it. On R11 i get it until around 60secs with 1024 buffer. On the latest R12 i even cannot start it without artefacts and crackles.

From my POV, the performance is worse with the new threads model.

I clearly hope they can figure out what the problems are. Currently it is a punch in the stomach with the update.
Reason12, Win10

deigm

28 Oct 2022

After playing with the new cores feature, performance is better than ever which is amazing.

I'm still getting asked to login every other time I launch for some reason though. Anyone else getting that?

selig
RE Developer

29 Oct 2022

deigm wrote:
28 Oct 2022
After playing with the new cores feature, performance is better than ever which is amazing.

I'm still getting asked to login every other time I launch for some reason though. Anyone else getting that?
Have you checked the Account Settings in Prefs?
Selig Audio, LLC

ThuslaDoom

29 Oct 2022

EnochLight wrote:
28 Oct 2022
ThuslaDoom wrote:
28 Oct 2022

scratchy.JPG

Ok, cool. Now they need to fix the much larger problem of forcing you to have your RE on your main disk. It's just stupid.

deigm

30 Oct 2022

selig wrote:
29 Oct 2022
deigm wrote:
28 Oct 2022

Yeah it says I'm logged in and that reason is set to sign in automatically, which it does do, but only about half the time.

joeyluck

30 Oct 2022

deigm wrote:
30 Oct 2022
selig wrote:
29 Oct 2022

Yeah it says I'm logged in and that reason is set to sign in automatically, which it does do, but only about half the time.
How is your connection? Reason will try to silently login when you launch it, but if it fails, that's when it will present you with the login screen (if necessary).

selig
RE Developer

30 Oct 2022

Loque wrote:
28 Oct 2022
mcatalao wrote:
18 Oct 2022

Ok. I tried it. On R11 i get it until around 60secs with 1024 buffer. On the latest R12 i even cannot start it without artefacts and crackles.

From my POV, the performance is worse with the new threads model.

I clearly hope they can figure out what the problems are. Currently it is a punch in the stomach with the update.
Well that totally sucks - you may want to contact support with your system specs/settings etc, because for everyone else this has been a huge improvement as far as I’ve heard.
Selig Audio, LLC

Ostermilk

31 Oct 2022

ThuslaDoom wrote:
28 Oct 2022

ALLOW US TO MOVE THE REFILLS/OPTIONAL CONTENT/RACK EXTENSIONS TO SOMETHING OTHER THAN OUR MAIN DISK.
ThuslaDoom wrote:
29 Oct 2022

Ok, cool. Now they need to fix the much larger problem of forcing you to have your RE on your main disk. It's just stupid.
Aye, that's been a long-standing request of mine, it's especially galling knowing there isn't an issue with relocating the cache/scratch disk folder.

Like you mention it can be done with 'symlinks' on Windows as that's how I get round it but it's less than ideal and equally unecessary given the mechanism for navigating to a different folder already exists in the Preferences requester.

Alas one thing I've learned after 64 years of life on Earth is that not everyone listens to what I say, and even fewer listen when what I'm saying actually makes any sense.

So I'll sign off now with a vorpid renctchen cardid for any nonsense lovers that may notice.

deigm

03 Nov 2022

joeyluck wrote:
30 Oct 2022
deigm wrote:
30 Oct 2022

How is your connection? Reason will try to silently login when you launch it, but if it fails, that's when it will present you with the login screen (if necessary).
Good intuition, I'm fairly certain this is the issue.
Been using the old mobile hot spot lately while we sort out our internet after moving home.

Barriott

03 Nov 2022

Do we think that we'll be getting something new to play with soon?

jaeproduced

04 Nov 2022

Barriott wrote:
03 Nov 2022
Do we think that we'll be getting something new to play with soon?
Yes there should be one more device coming before years end per the roadmap...

• Information