Reason 12.2.9 Release Notes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
LittleBoy

12 Oct 2022

EnochLight wrote:
12 Oct 2022
LittleBoy wrote:
12 Oct 2022
I hope I'm wrong and see Reason 12 with support for M1 and VST3. I really hope I'm wrong.
Yes, you're wrong. Again, Reason Studios have very publicly stated that they are working on VST3 right now, at this very moment, and it will (very likely) appear in Reason (12) before the end of this year (as recent as June 2022, their VST3 hosting could already load instruments and effects). And official M1 support is coming after - again - in Reason 12. Nothing to worry about. Actually, what you see in 12.2.9 is part of the M1 support that will come... :thumbup:

This re-write of audio-thread handling has long been in the works and has been necessary for a very long time, on Windows (at least Intel) just as much as Mac. Hyperthreading and core handling has always been the bane of Reason's existence, and this rights the ship. I'd argue it absolutely needed to happen for proper M1 support to occur. As they stated in June 2022:
Reason M1 native support development will start off with threading optimisations we believe will affect performance and battery life positively for all platforms including non M1-macs.
What you see in 12.2.9 is exactly that. ^^

So, nothing to worry about! :thumbup: :clap:

Source...
Yes, and we were also going to have native support for M1 in December 2021, and VST 3 support in January 2022 based on the past roadmap.

I repeat that I would like nothing more than to be wrong. And if I'm wrong, I'll come and say so.

Termigator

12 Oct 2022

LittleBoy wrote:
12 Oct 2022
EnochLight wrote:
12 Oct 2022

Yes, you're wrong. Again, Reason Studios have very publicly stated that they are working on VST3 right now, at this very moment, and it will (very likely) appear in Reason (12) before the end of this year (as recent as June 2022, their VST3 hosting could already load instruments and effects). And official M1 support is coming after - again - in Reason 12. Nothing to worry about. Actually, what you see in 12.2.9 is part of the M1 support that will come... :thumbup:

This re-write of audio-thread handling has long been in the works and has been necessary for a very long time, on Windows (at least Intel) just as much as Mac. Hyperthreading and core handling has always been the bane of Reason's existence, and this rights the ship. I'd argue it absolutely needed to happen for proper M1 support to occur. As they stated in June 2022:

What you see in 12.2.9 is exactly that. ^^

So, nothing to worry about! :thumbup: :clap:

Source...
Yes, and we were also going to have native support for M1 in December 2021, and VST 3 support in January 2022 based on the past roadmap.

I repeat that I would like nothing more than to be wrong. And if I'm wrong, I'll come and say so.
ouch when you put it like that
it really shows you the daw is on the back burner

i don’t know do any other daw that doesn’t have vst3 support times gettint close to 2023 wow

mind2069

12 Oct 2022

Hi

I finally decided to install this version but is it just me, the SSL console looks worst, fonts are blurry, not crisp, fonts are too pale, shadows are exaggerated.

I was expecting it to look better. Same at other places but side by side comparison of the SSL, The buttons and fonts look awful. Just compare the sends section for example.

I guess it's the performance/functions that matters most but when there's such emphasis but on modernizing the UI, it should look better or at least equal.

The fonts all look blurry and and makes me think I need glasses, but when I go back to Reason 11, it's fine

It looks really amateur.

Why the hell did they not make the combinator full width.

Sorry for the rant but here the question:

I'm on a modern asus gaming with scale at regular 100%, is there some setting I am missing in Reason or Windows to at least make the fonts crisp?

carvingcode

12 Oct 2022

Yay! MIDI Out from Reason Rack works on m1 Mac mini.

jam-s

12 Oct 2022

avasopht wrote:
12 Oct 2022
Jackjackdaw wrote:
12 Oct 2022
Well I dunno… I thought hd graphics would be a tidy little 11.5 update but it turned out 12 is just a big old beta test for it. The longer they take , the more the update cycle coffers are emptied.
It's not a little update.

It was very complex - hence why it had such elusive bugs.

I experienced issues like they had when I developed a hardware accelerated UI system (even when it had no bugs of its own, it could still be brought down). And working directly with the OpenGL API can sometimes be sketchy because its resources aren't managed on two key levels which can open the door to subtle and elusive bugs - especially when first porting code to it.

Plus it raised lots of conflicts they had to resolve in order to support UI and displays designed for lower resolutions.

To cut a long story short, it's a lot more involving than it looks.
And don't forget the fun of the multitude of broken and outdated OpenGL implementations and GPU drivers or older OpenGL versions, OpenGL ES or some other oddities you might encounter on systems with integrated GPU/APU... Lot's of debugging fun to be had there. :twisted:

Billy+

12 Oct 2022

Did tags get added to search yet?
What's the performance like when using vst's?

EnochLight

12 Oct 2022

Termigator wrote:
12 Oct 2022
ouch when you put it like that
it really shows you the daw is on the back burner

i don’t know do any other daw that doesn’t have vst3 support times gettint close to 2023 wow
LMAO! VST3 has been in development for Reason DAW “proper” since June (and was mostly working in-house then), so.. I guess “back burner” is relative. Should it have happened sooner? ABSOLUTELY. But hey - at least the DAW portion hasn’t been abandoned as most everyone was fearing a year ago.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

kurtg

13 Oct 2022

great update ! especially multi threading and silent login. Good multi threading is not easy to implement. Looking forward for m1 native version.

ProfessaKaos

13 Oct 2022

EnochLight wrote:
12 Oct 2022
at least the DAW portion hasn’t been abandoned as most everyone was fearing a year ago.
Absolutely 🙏

Just want to say a big thank you to Reason Studios for continuing their hard work addressing all the bugs in R12. I really appreciate it, and I am sure we all do.

What I look for in software is stability (before incoming/new features) so my experience is hassle free letting me do what I love to do without the software getting in the way. I am very grateful Reason Studios are doing what they are doing, sure I want VST3 (like the rest of us) but I want stability first.

Again Thank You Reason Studios for continuing the hard work of making Reason stable again, keep it up.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

Jackjackdaw

13 Oct 2022

avasopht wrote:
12 Oct 2022
Jackjackdaw wrote:
12 Oct 2022
Well I dunno… I thought hd graphics would be a tidy little 11.5 update but it turned out 12 is just a big old beta test for it. The longer they take , the more the update cycle coffers are emptied.

I experienced issues like they had when I developed a hardware accelerated UI system (even when it had no bugs of its own, it could still be brought down). And working directly with the OpenGL API can sometimes be sketchy because its resources aren't managed on two key levels which can open the door to subtle and elusive bugs - especially when first porting code to it.

Plus it raised lots of conflicts they had to resolve in order to support UI and displays designed for lower resolutions.

Exactly, the whole thing is more involved than it looks so the updates keep getting pushed back and meanwhile the RS bank balance dwindles so they have to push out a new version to get the sales boost to keep paying the wages and then the things you were expecting in the version you are on get out behind the paywall of the new version. That was my point.

avasopht
Competition Winner

13 Oct 2022

Jackjackdaw wrote:
13 Oct 2022
Exactly, the whole thing is more involved than it looks so the updates keep getting pushed back and meanwhile the RS bank balance dwindles so they have to push out a new version to get the sales boost to keep paying the wages and then the things you were expecting in the version you are on get out behind the paywall of the new version. That was my point.
This would actually have the opposite effect, and would risk legal action that would completely end the company.

Popey
Competition Winner

13 Oct 2022

Jackjackdaw wrote:
13 Oct 2022
avasopht wrote:
12 Oct 2022

I seem to recall rs saying vst3 and m1 will be definitely in 12. I am not sure if I saw it here or on another social platform but pretty sure I saw this response from a rs staff member.
I cannot see these features being just for next rs version even if they are not completed by the end of year as currently anticipated.

Am I cracking up or does anyone else recall this.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

13 Oct 2022

Popey wrote:
13 Oct 2022
Jackjackdaw wrote:
13 Oct 2022

I seem to recall rs saying vst3 and m1 will be definitely in 12. I am not sure if I saw it here or on another social platform but pretty sure I saw this response from a rs staff member.
I cannot see these features being just for next rs version even if they are not completed by the end of year as currently anticipated.

Don't worry, they both will be in Reason 12.

Popey
Competition Winner

13 Oct 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
13 Oct 2022
Popey wrote:
13 Oct 2022

Thanks Matthias, I wasn't worried personally but this puts everyone's mind at ease.

Zac

13 Oct 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
13 Oct 2022
Popey wrote:
13 Oct 2022

Maybe for Reason 12's second Birthday? 🤪

Edit for balance... I am also glad of the updates 🙏
Last edited by Zac on 13 Oct 2022, edited 1 time in total.

BlueEddie

13 Oct 2022

Hi! I'm long time Reason user who doesn't often post but I had to jump in here to say how great a performance enhancement I've seen with this release (and a bit of tweaking). I bought a stacked Mac Studio in April and have been kind of baffled by all the hype as my old 2008 Mac cheese grater was by all accounts performing the same if not better (albeit a lot louder!). As some other have said I've been able to run at the 64 sample rate for the first time ever and a bunch of vsts (Arturia, etc) that were stuttery are now completely smooth even when testing an unnecessarily high number of instances. If this is only one of the first steps in what Reason will be like on the Mac Studio I can't wait to see what happens next. Nice work Reason :clap:

rorystorm

13 Oct 2022

Trying to download, taking forever and its crashed twice.... on the other hand I'm so directly on the other side of the planet, so...

Jackjackdaw

13 Oct 2022

:thumbs_up:

selig
RE Developer

13 Oct 2022

LittleBoy wrote:
12 Oct 2022

The difference is one mentions a target date, which is something you cannot move (you can only select another target date if you miss the first one), and the other mentions a target version number (VST3 on version 12) which you absolutely CAN do especially if you move your target date! ;)
So I don’t see missing a deadline as being the same thing because they likely WILL add M1 and VST3 support to Reason 12 - no reason not to do so. It’s just that it keeps pushing Reason 13 further down the calendar!
Selig Audio, LLC

PhillipOrdonez

13 Oct 2022

They could release the vst3 and M1 native features for 12, AND release 13 simultaneously or very close to each other.

selig
RE Developer

13 Oct 2022

mind2069 wrote:
12 Oct 2022
Hi

I finally decided to install this version but is it just me, the SSL console looks worst, fonts are blurry, not crisp, fonts are too pale, shadows are exaggerated.

I was expecting it to look better. Same at other places but side by side comparison of the SSL, The buttons and fonts look awful. Just compare the sends section for example.

I guess it's the performance/functions that matters most but when there's such emphasis but on modernizing the UI, it should look better or at least equal.

The fonts all look blurry and and makes me think I need glasses, but when I go back to Reason 11, it's fine

It looks really amateur.

I'm on a modern asus gaming with scale at regular 100%, is there some setting I am missing in Reason or Windows to at least make the fonts crisp?
I don't run Windows but I've not heard other users experiencing what you describe - maybe some experienced Windows user can help here?
Selig Audio, LLC

Cesco

13 Oct 2022

scotward57 wrote:
11 Oct 2022
I have the Akai MPK mini 3 and was hoping the bug fix on this release would get the auto detect feature of Remote to work correctly. But it didn't. And if I add it manually I get these errors:

Failed to load control surface: Akai, MPK mini mk3.
Map File Errors:
Line 13: Map entry with unknown control surface item.
Line 75: Map entry with unknown control surface item.
Line 148: Map entry with unknown control surface item.

I don't see any instructions that tell me if I need to do anything on the MPK mini 3 itself, like select a certain program setup/channel. Any guesses?

Have the same problem.
... it's frustrating :cry:

Cesco

13 Oct 2022

scotward57 wrote:
11 Oct 2022
I have the Akai MPK mini 3 and was hoping the bug fix on this release would get the auto detect feature of Remote to work correctly. But it didn't. And if I add it manually I get these errors:

Map File Errors:

I don't see any instructions that tell me if I need to do anything on the MPK mini 3 itself, like select a certain program setup/channel. Any guesses?

Found this on the support page. can't try it right now to see if it works.

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... -solve-it-

Jac459

13 Oct 2022

Cesco wrote:
13 Oct 2022
scotward57 wrote:
11 Oct 2022

Map File Errors:

Have the same problem.
... it's frustrating :cry:
Spent a good 40 hours to update this support of the mk3 leveraging on the very good work of philosurfer.
https://github.com/jac459/reason-mpk-mini-mk3
It works flawlessly, you can give it a try.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

mcatalao
Competition Winner

13 Oct 2022

mind2069 wrote:
12 Oct 2022
Hi

It looks really amateur.

Are you using any custom scale on windows? With the new update you should disable custom scale and use the application zoom feature. For example if you have a 110 % scale, turn ot off and use reason at 110% zoom.

• Information