Kong vs Redrum vs Umpf.....your favorite and why?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tomusurp

29 Sep 2022

for me it's always redrum because of how easy it is to get a beat going. but typically now i always have redrum sequencing umpf club drums in my template, mainly because i love the submodules in umpf + setup in redrum, can get some crazy sounding drums this way :geek:

so i guess it's the marriage between them that takes the cake
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/@usurptom
https://www.usurptom.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

mimidancer

29 Sep 2022

tomusurp wrote:
29 Sep 2022
for me it's always redrum because of how easy it is to get a beat going. but typically now i always have redrum sequencing umpf club drums in my template, mainly because i love the submodules in umpf + setup in redrum, can get some crazy sounding drums this way :geek:

Kong is the most in-depth, but my goto is UMPF retro. Quick and dirty. Like my college boyfriend.

Aquila

30 Sep 2022

I use Redrum mostly because of its easy to use 64 step sequencer. If I want more advanced drum processing I'll link up a Kong via CV.
I'll occasionally use Kong with a Drum Sequencer player, but that sequencer is pathetic compared to Redrum's.

dioxide

30 Sep 2022

Redrum triggering other devices usually wrapped in a combinator. There's still not a better drum sequencer than Redrum IMO.

MuttReason

30 Sep 2022

Redrum but in a combinator I have created that has send effects and master effects. Turns Redrum into a kind of virtual Roland TR8S. I uploaded the Combi for this in the Combinator 2 forum on RS a few months back.

huggermugger

30 Sep 2022

UMPF combines simplicity (which Kong doesn't have) with sonic flexibiity (which Redrum doesn't have).

UMPF Retro plus DrumSequencer or BeatMap is a favourite.

thedude

30 Sep 2022

^^^ yep. umph retro for me - basically saves me the time and headache of doing a drum bus, since tape compression, gated verb and transient shaping is what i wanted to do anyways.

and yeah, always using it with drum sequencer. as noted above, wish there were more than 16 steps per pattern on DS - would save me time in the automation lane.

huggermugger

30 Sep 2022

thedude wrote:
30 Sep 2022
^^^ yep. umph retro for me - basically saves me the time and headache of doing a drum bus, since tape compression, gated verb and transient shaping is what i wanted to do anyways.

and yeah, always using it with drum sequencer. as noted above, wish there were more than 16 steps per pattern on DS - would save me time in the automation lane.
There's always Kompulsion, 32 steps with all kinds of per-lane options. And for less money, Propulsion, not a Player, but 32 steps with plenty of options. Both of them have 16 lanes.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ompulsion/

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... sequencer/

Cosmos

30 Sep 2022

Hello, i use umpf + redrum
i have never tried Kong but I'm not a very good Reason user ^^
i have tried beatmap recently but i think it is not adapted to the type of music I make : jazz + pop rock... but i might be wrong

jam-s

30 Sep 2022

I'd probably use Kong more if they would finally just add a button to keep the output routing fixed when loading patches. and extending the number of stereo outputs to 16 would also be a good thing.

dvdrtldg

30 Sep 2022

jam-s wrote:
30 Sep 2022
I'd probably use Kong more if they would finally just add a button to keep the output routing fixed when loading patches
This is it for me. I like Kong, but that routing issue drives me crazy

Usually for me it's Redrum powered by Kompulsion, sometimes with a little help from Beatmap. I've been using Mimic a little bit lately, having fun with that too

Marc Swing

02 Oct 2022

jam-s wrote:
30 Sep 2022
I'd probably use Kong more if they would finally just add a button to keep the output routing fixed when loading patches. and extending the number of stereo outputs to 16 would also be a good thing.
YES! ++++ on that one!

groggy1

02 Oct 2022

I like Umpf + DrumSequencer.

The only thing I don't like about this is:
1) The names of each "slot" in DrumSequencer doesn't automatically pick-up the same names from the Umpf
2) The name "Umpf" :) It's silly!

ShelLuser

02 Oct 2022

Ever since it got announced I was hooked on Kong, but part of that is probably because of my general fascination for synths: it is a drum designer afterall? I still love working with those physical modelling generators. Of course there's a bit more to this story: I'll take a drumpad controller over anything else to get in some nice percussion and Kong always managed to match that perfectly.

What I have always appreciated about Kong is that I could easily test out my rack setup long before I tried it out for real on my - back then - MPD24 controller, using nothing more but my keyboard + mouse. Click the pads high and you hit high, low and... yeah; you can test the nuances so easily! It's such a small detail yet with such a huge impact (no pun intended)!

In the mean time things changed quite dramatically in my home studio, my MPD24 has long been replaced with a Maschine Mk3 and I even added Komplete 13UC to back it up. But honestly you guys? Despite all that I still more than often use Live to re-route Maschine's MIDI output straight into the Reason rack plugin where I have Kong set up. IMO there's no better way to enjoy Kong than with that. And that's even ignoring all the awesome stuff you can do with hittypes and assignments! Seriously: not even Maschine provides you with that kind of functionality.

I don't use Reason as often as I used to but I'll never ignore it's amazing legacy, if you ask me then, seriously, from my POV the Props were way ahead of their time.
--- :reason:

challism

02 Oct 2022

mimidancer wrote:
29 Sep 2022
tomusurp wrote:
29 Sep 2022

Kong is the most in-depth, but my goto is UMPF retro. Quick and dirty. Like my college boyfriend.
I'm inclined to agree, except for the college boyfriend; my college boyfriend wasn't as quick.

I mostly like Retro because of the onboard effects. That dirty tape and Phil Collins reverb are great effects.
groggy1 wrote:
02 Oct 2022

1) The names of each "slot" in DrumSequencer doesn't automatically pick-up the same names from the Umpf
I agree with this too. It's easily RS's stupidest name for a product... and they did it twice! Ugh!! It's really cringe-worthy...
(I actually call it "Ugh" in my head)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Aosta

02 Oct 2022

Kong is the most versatile.
Tend the flame

Chi-Individual

02 Oct 2022

The umpf REs have become some of my favs for the build in fx. The chop probability section on Umpf club is something I’ve haven’t been smart enough to recreate out of it with other REs. I like being able to visually adjust the attack and release of each drum. My only dislike is the individual output don’t bring fx with them, just a dry signal. These 2 + Drum Seq have been my go to for a while now.

Propellerhands

02 Oct 2022

Redrum because I am lazy to learn/try something else and it's simple and fast to use and also has sequencer. So it satisfies my needs.
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

huggermugger

03 Oct 2022

groggy1 wrote:
02 Oct 2022

100% this!

Jackjackdaw

03 Oct 2022

Kong + Drum sequencer is the one true way for me. The routing issue sucks though. I wish they would fix it!

mcatalao
Competition Winner

03 Oct 2022

Man, i either use midi files that i alter (groove monkey free stuff for example, or the old Reason Drums 2 refill has lots of midis) and my favorite drum module in Reason is Reason Drum Kit's Re! Amazing kit, imho!

For other genres, Kong is a beast, but umpf retro is sweet, so I'll go back and forth with those. But TBH, i have so much crap that lot's of times i stick to the basics!

selig
RE Developer

03 Oct 2022

Propellerhands wrote:
02 Oct 2022
Redrum because I am lazy to learn/try something else and it's simple and fast to use and also has sequencer. So it satisfies my needs.
Same, though I DO also use Kong and Umpf when I need the sound design ‘power’. But many times I just need some one shots and a pattern sequencer to supplement the rest of the track, and ReDrum is still ‘king’ for that IMO.
Not that it was asked, but I actually use Dr OctaRex just as often as the others, and many times I’m using it as a one shot device driven by Drum Sequencer! It’s also decently powerful for sound design, minus the FX department.
Selig Audio, LLC

RobC

03 Oct 2022

NNXT ~ full flexibility.
Maybe the drum sequencer player for triggering. Dunno the name...

I'm an all-or-nothing type. If something is missing, I won't use it. Simplifies things a lot.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

03 Oct 2022

I’m all over the place when it comes to drums. Kong, Umpf (mostly retro), Dr Octo Rex, Reason Drum Kits, Redrum. On occasion I’ve even used Rytmik for a few sounds here and there.
But I would say Kong is probably used sligthly more than the other drum devices.

miyaru

03 Oct 2022

When I started with Reason 11, coming from a time lapse from V4 to V11, I used kong and drumseq. a lot. Later I used Redrum with my Push2 running PusheR2 software. This couple works so fine, I do not want something else anymore. With hitting the pads, I alter the rythem and sections, very nice indeed!!!!!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

• Information