playing Combinator synth with Player (eg Scales & Chords)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jmp909

05 Sep 2022

Hi,

am I right in thinking in order to play notes from the Matrix into Scales&Chords and then into the Combinator Synth, I'm going to have to put S&C *inside* the Combinator Synth?

if I wire the Matrix to the Combinator Sequencer Control CV inputs, it bypasses S&C

thanks
J
sc-combinator-synth.gif
sc-combinator-synth.gif (170.36 KiB) Viewed 1364 times

deeplink
Competition Winner

05 Sep 2022

Scales and Chords plus your instrument inside a combinator.

Matrix outside the combinator, patched into the CV and Gate of the Combinator
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Bes
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2022

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... layer-tap/
or place of these free units on top of the s&c and hook the matrix up to that and you can keep the s&c on top of the combi
- Certified Reason expert

jmp909

06 Sep 2022

deeplink wrote:
05 Sep 2022
Scales and Chords plus your instrument inside a combinator.
The instrument is already a Combinator though

This is the problem I find with C2 at the moment. There’s no separation between the Device side of it and the state (preset patch) for it . That means if I stick the S&C inside it and then load another combinator “patch”, I lose the S&C each time since it’s loading an entirely new version of the combinator

I’ll try Bes’ method

Thanks

jmp909

06 Sep 2022

Bes wrote:
06 Sep 2022
or place of these free units on top of the s&c and hook the matrix up to that and you can keep the s&c on top of the combi
Thanks @bes that worked!

selig
RE Developer

06 Sep 2022

jmp909 wrote:
06 Sep 2022
Bes wrote:
06 Sep 2022
Thanks @bes that worked!
Nice to see the Binaural Synth getting some love - how’s it working for you?
Selig Audio, LLC

jmp909

06 Sep 2022

@selig, just getting into Reason again after not using since v7, so currently stocking up on some sounds / combis. Didn’t get much chance to check it out properly but sounds good though cheers!

mimidancer

07 Sep 2022

The matrix can be in or out of the combinator. But the matrix cv and gate need to go into the combi cv and gate. Then the SandC player will quantize your notes to the desired key. If you are using all "player" devices they can be placed on top of the combinator and will affect everything in the combinator.

jmp909

07 Sep 2022

mimidancer wrote:
07 Sep 2022
The matrix can be in or out of the combinator. But the matrix cv and gate need to go into the combi cv and gate. Then the SandC player will quantize your notes to the desired key. If you are using all "player" devices they can be placed on top of the combinator and will affect everything in the combinator.
Hi thanks, I reported a bug that the Matrix inside a Combinator caused a delay on the notes being triggered when connected to the Sequencer Control. I don't know if it was fixed in the last update

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7528622&p=612156

artotaku

07 Sep 2022

jmp909 wrote:
07 Sep 2022
mimidancer wrote:
07 Sep 2022
Hi thanks, I reported a bug that the Matrix inside a Combinator caused a delay on the notes being triggered when connected to the Sequencer Control. I don't know if it was fixed in the last update

This is intended behaviour because it creates a signal feedback loop due to the way how PDC was implemented and a known limitation. If you switch Edit -> Preferences -> Audio -> Performance -> Render Audio using Audio card ... off it should work without delay but with the downside of reduced performance with VST plugins or REs.
See also this article https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... what-s-up-

buddard
RE Developer

07 Sep 2022

jmp909 wrote:
07 Sep 2022
mimidancer wrote:
07 Sep 2022

It's better to leave the Matrix outside and above the combinator since it will remove the potential feedback loop and give you 0 latency.

Longer explanation:
Reason has to render every device in order since the output of one device is the input to the next device in the chain. If there's any chance of a device feeding back into a device earlier in the chain (for example a device feeding signals back into the combinator which contains it), it means that this partricular signal will have to be processed in the next "batch", i e a delay will appear. This is just a consequence of how digital audio works.

jmp909

07 Sep 2022

Thanks for the detailed explanation again, I know it was covered before partly in my other post… but useful to anybody reading this thread anyway

• Information