Strange MIDI Issues with Reason 12 + Alesis Strike Pro SE + Superior Drummer 3

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
sublunar

04 Sep 2022

This is a long shot... but does anyone else have this combination of e-drums and software? Alternatively: can anyone out there provide any clarity regarding the following odd behavior?

Alesis Strike Pro SE (electronic drum set) works as expected both as a standalone (using only the module for all sounds) and when connected to Standalone Superior Drummer 3 via USB. No problemo. Thoroughly tested.

But.. when SD3 is loaded as a plugin inside R12 the Hi Hat doesn't register any difference between hits in the closed or open position. It will just trigger an open Hi-Hat sound. And as far as I can tell that's the only issue. Everything else I've tested works fine. Just this one weird quirk. I've copied both the project settings and MIDI presets from SD3 standalone, set as default, etc. So I've confirmed that it's not a problem with SD3 loading different settings in standalone vs plugin mode.

Furthermore, this issue is NOT present when I load all the same stuff into Studio One 5. Everything works as expected in Studio One.

What is Reason doing in the background which would explain this behavior?

Lastly (and this might be a clue for those of you who are more fluent with MIDI instruments than myself): I've tried simply mapping what it does register to a different CC value, but oddly enough the CC value being sent is the same whether I have the hi-hat open or closed. And yet the software somehow knows whether the Hi-Hat is closed or open.

For example: Depending on velocity and angle of the stick hitting the rubber cymbal, SD3 (standalone program) registers the CC data as 7 (G2) or 8 (G#2) which are simply "Hi-Hat Edge Trigger" and "Hi-Hat Tip Trigger" respectively. And those are the same CC values being sent whether the hats are open or closed.

So... I'm not really sure how standalone SD3 even knows to play a closed Hi-Hat because it's definitely not getting "closed hi-hat" from the MIDI CC data. Wherever that mystery information is coming from, Reason isn't picking it up while Studio One is.

sublunar

04 Sep 2022

Just found this thread where this Reason user solved what sounds like the same issue by mapping CC#4* to a combinator wheel. I'll try this tomorrow and see if that works.

viewtopic.php?t=7501541

*Apparently CC#4 is Hi-Hat close value. Not sure why Reason wouldn't be picking this up.

Xishuai

25 Feb 2023

Having the exact same problem. You explained very articulately how the strike pro works perfect running through superior drummer. But when you’re in reason studios DAW using superior drummer as VST the hi hat and only the hi hat is freaking out. This is not a problem with alesis. This is Not a problem with superior drummer. The problem is absolutely Reason studios software. And they should be the ones who fix this. After paying 400 for a perfectly good superior drummer program that works, and 300 for reason DAW that doesn’t , I expect results. Due to faulty programming in reason software my music project has ground to a halt. Seems impossible to even contact Reason studios. Beyond frustrating. The only thing I can say is Reason studios is useless to me now. A ton of money down the drain and wasted on purchasing reason studios. Avoid it at all costs.

jam-s

26 Feb 2023

I suppose both of you have submitted detailed bug reports so RS can a) reproduce the problem and then b) fix it for you, right?

• Information