Thor LFOs - what governs the phase/when it starts?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Bloma

30 Aug 2022

Hey,

I made a track recently, and I had 2 Thors with similar patches, with both LFO 2s at 0.34 Hz, and initially, the LFOs were out of phase, and playing nicely off each other. Since loading the track up again, they are both in phase, effecting the sound at the same time. I thought the 'delay' knob would push it back, but when I turn that up I can't hear the effect of the LFO at all. I guess I could use little LFO since it has a phase knob, but I really like the sound exactly as it is and was wondering if anyone knows about this.

Cheers

buddard
RE Developer

30 Aug 2022

Bloma wrote:
30 Aug 2022
Hey,

I made a track recently, and I had 2 Thors with similar patches, with both LFO 2s at 0.34 Hz, and initially, the LFOs were out of phase, and playing nicely off each other. Since loading the track up again, they are both in phase, effecting the sound at the same time. I thought the 'delay' knob would push it back, but when I turn that up I can't hear the effect of the LFO at all. I guess I could use little LFO since it has a phase knob, but I really like the sound exactly as it is and was wondering if anyone knows about this.

Cheers
The LFO starts when the Thor instance is created, and then it's free running. When you originally set up the Thors they were of course created at different times, so their LFOs were out of phase. But when you reload the song, they are both created at exactly the same time...

So your best bet is using an external LFO with a phase setting.
Or as a temporary workaround you could select one of the Thors, delete it and then hit Ctrl-Z to undo the operation -- Now they should be out of phase again.
Or if you're OK with a 180 degree phase difference you could invert the LFO amount on one of the Thors.

Bloma

30 Aug 2022

buddard wrote:
30 Aug 2022
Bloma wrote:
30 Aug 2022
Hey,

Cheers
The LFO starts when the Thor instance is created, and then it's free running. When you originally set up the Thors they were of course created at different times, so their LFOs were out of phase. But when you reload the song, they are both created at exactly the same time...

So your best bet is using an external LFO with a phase setting.
Or as a temporary workaround you could select one of the Thors, delete it and then hit Ctrl-Z to undo the operation -- Now they should be out of phase again.
Or if you're OK with a 180 degree phase difference you could invert the LFO amount on one of the Thors.
Brilliant, thanks for the explanation!

Mich01

30 Aug 2022

Why don't you use the key-sync feature, to start the lfo's?
You can trigger the lfo's of different instances of Thor with key-on signal and they are perfectly in sync.

have fun
Michel

crimsonwarlock

30 Aug 2022

Mich01 wrote:
30 Aug 2022
...and they are perfectly in sync.
... which is precisely what he doesn't want :lol:
-------
Reached the breaking-point. CrimsonWarlock has left the forum.

Mich01

30 Aug 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
30 Aug 2022
Mich01 wrote:
30 Aug 2022
...and they are perfectly in sync.
:lol: Yeah, that's true but I ment that you can trigger the lfo's at any point in time, so you can set the phase-alteration.

Bloma

30 Aug 2022

Mich01 wrote:
30 Aug 2022
crimsonwarlock wrote:
30 Aug 2022

:lol: Yeah, that's true but I ment that you can trigger the lfo's at any point in time, so you can set the phase-alteration.
So you could turn on key sync for when you want it to start, then switch of off again... that's clever.

crimsonwarlock

30 Aug 2022

Mich01 wrote:
30 Aug 2022
crimsonwarlock wrote:
30 Aug 2022

From the OP I got that the notes for each Thor are playing in sync, so using key-sync won't solve his problem.
-------

crimsonwarlock

30 Aug 2022

Not sure about this, but setting one LFO to another speed for a few seconds and then back to its initial setting might do the trick.
-------

selig
RE Developer

30 Aug 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
30 Aug 2022
Not sure about this, but setting one LFO to another speed for a few seconds and then back to its initial setting might do the trick.
If inverting polarity doesn’t do the trick, this approach would get you there with a little trial/error. I would automate one of the two LFOS on bar one (assuming there is at least a bar before this patch plays) up/down slightly for a beat and experiment with the amount or time factor until you get the sound you’re looking for. From then on, hitting play after loading will automatically ‘restore’ this offset, BUT you would need to mute this clip after the initial run to prevent further shifting.
An alternative is to automate key sync ON and add a single note to reset sync slightly before the above rate shift - that way you could make it work every time you hit play without concerns about further changes.
All of this can happen in less than a bar I would think, the only other thing to consider is maybe muting the instrument during that bar to prevent hearing any of this!
Selig Audio, LLC

Bloma

30 Aug 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
30 Aug 2022
That got it, cheers!

Bloma

30 Aug 2022

selig wrote:
30 Aug 2022
crimsonwarlock wrote:
30 Aug 2022
If inverting polarity doesn’t do the trick, this approach would get you there with a little trial/error. I would automate one of the two LFOS on bar one (assuming there is at least a bar before this patch plays) up/down slightly for a beat and experiment with the amount or time factor until you get the sound you’re looking for. From then on, hitting play after loading will automatically ‘restore’ this offset, BUT you would need to mute this clip after the initial run to prevent further shifting.
An alternative is to automate key sync ON and add a single note to reset sync slightly before the above rate shift - that way you could make it work every time you hit play without concerns about further changes.
All of this can happen in less than a bar I would think, the only other thing to consider is maybe muting the instrument during that bar to prevent hearing any of this!
And that fixed the offset, thanks selig :thumbup:

• Information