What are your deepest dreams/visions about Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Yonatan

27 Aug 2022

What development of Reason platform would blow your mind and inspire your heart?
Reason cannot be all for everybody, at least not in the short span of time.
But what would make you fall in love with the DAW?

For me, I see how many other developers are bringing nice value to be used, as UJAM or Toontrack etc.
And Reason Studios itself are bringing new creative tools in their players and instruments and effects.

I would say overall, that the workflow is nr. 1 for me at the moment, bringing the 3 windows and workspaces of Reason even more fun, intuitive and working as an instrument in itself, both when jamming alone, with others, at live setting or in studio or whatever. Reason as a Workstation from first note to final polished track, in as fast workflow as possible would be the way forward, with its experimental ongoing adventure in all the phases. Not just a A to B kind of DAW, but a floating ever evolving creative canvas, but that could go from A to B very fast if needed. Recording a "session" while streaming it.

And VST3 and such technical stuff is essential to be able to bring in more possibilities.

1) An upliftment of the sequencer and audio department of the DAW would make a real impact.
For instance making the Tool-window in sequencer to become a bit more integrated or developed.

2) A clip-launch non linear style of workspace would be so fun. If they would make the sequencer into a more flowing creative workspace where one could combine all sorts of things (loops, players, midi-clips, audio etc), where all can be tempo-synced and changing arrangement in real-time, trying out new arrangement ideas and if that space can be in sync with Rack and the Mixer and all these are even more streamlined and integrated.
As it is now, the most creative space of Reason is the Rack, it is there you now are spending most time when experimenting and being intuitive. Sequencer is a sketch board and one can be creative there but it still needs an upgrade to also make it as fun as in the Rack.

I would say a more creative Sequencer is the top priority as many other DAWs has made that as a standard since Ableton had their Session view. I believe Reason could have it even more inspiring done. And I am sure such thing takes time and effort to get just right, but am hoping it is on the hidden roadmap. Maybe it could have a twin-mirroring arrangement box that is viewable and manageable in the Rack as well, so that the Rack is also benefitting from this new Sequencer upgrade. Then it enhances the Rack as well, as Rack can be a bit messy at times. This "live-box" could make for some overall betterment in the Rack. And it could bring value for the plugin-users as well, and bring a bit of the sequencer feel inside the Rack as well, something that I believe many Rack-plugin-users would love, as well as those users that dont think the plugin is enough of a replacement of ReWire.

3) The Mixer is what it is, and maybe it could need some workflow stuff there, but also some more creative elements could be added to make all 3 windows more "fun". Mixer could have some inbuilt colouring tools and eventually also some more AI-mixer/mastering functions whenever that is on a decent level of "making music easier and more fun". If "fun" is the spirit RS wants to bring, that could be made in all the 3 windows (of opportunities).
But in Mixer probably more down-to-earth stuff as "folders" would be first priority, and track freeze.

4) Have to put in Video support also, at some level, just because it is an essential in today´s reality. With the Rack plugin, it is doable in other DAW´s so RS has indeed bought themselves some proper time on that issue. And I do think the focus should be put on enhancing current workflow. But in the longer run, a video support sync would be an essential add for such a good sound design DAW. More important than having an inbuilt Score sheet. I dont believe that is what Reason ever been about. But basic video support would be very welcome in due time. (the available VST´s are not optimal, it would be good having it as standard for the most standard video-file format) .
Last edited by Yonatan on 27 Aug 2022, edited 1 time in total.

carvingcode

27 Aug 2022

Biggest thing Reason needs is inspired, creative musicians using it instead of being concerned about constantly adding features.

Yonatan

27 Aug 2022

carvingcode wrote:
27 Aug 2022
Biggest thing Reason needs is inspired, creative musicians using it instead of being concerned about constantly adding features.
You are free and welcome to be that kind of musician :thumbup:

Heigen5

27 Aug 2022

Not in the mood to make a huge list atm.
For me the biggest dream would be that we would get a second generation devices + core features, that don't leave out 1-2 important functions per a device.
These devices would do them ALL! As example, why did they make a Mimic, without the auto bmp detection and key-transpose per slice?
Why don't all the Run-devices have a key-triggering. Why some curve devices don't have a Bipolar mode?
Why lots of the newer synths don't have audio in?

Why Rex Player don't have stretch-per-slice and global time-stretch?
So to sum it up, why can't we all have all the 2 missing functions also in every single stock device?
The reason why I make music is to make as good music as possible, but if Reason is full of workaround situations, in a big manner, then my workflow gets interrupted and I can't work and fly like I'd like to.

Anyway, I also understand, that I shouldn't let this all putting me down either, after all, Reason + is a dope program and I rather work and use it to the fullest, and eventually my suggestions will be added.

Yonatan

27 Aug 2022

Heigen5 wrote:
27 Aug 2022
Not in the mood to make a huge list atm.
For me the biggest dream would be that we would get a second generation devices + core features, that don't leave out 1-2 important functions per a device.
These devices would do them ALL! As example, why did they make a Mimic, without the auto bmp detection and key-transpose per slice?
Why don't all the Run-devices have a key-triggering. Why some curve devices don't have a Bipolar mode?
Why lots of the newer synths don't have audio in?

Why Rex Player don't have stretch-per-slice and global time-stretch?
So to sum it up, why can't we all have all the 2 missing functions also in every single stock device?
The reason why I make music is to make as good music as possible, but if Reason is full of workaround situations, in a big manner, then my workflow gets interrupted and I can't work and fly like I'd like to.

Anyway, I also understand, that I shouldn't let this all putting me down either, after all, Reason + is a dope program and I rather work and use it to the fullest, and eventually my suggestions will be added.

Very valid and good points!

Agree that those features would make the workflow easier and more fun.

I think it is good to express this perspective even if Reason is bringing fun time just as it is.

To somehow take in the previous users tiredness of more feature-lists and wants, I would agree that I also am the one that gets as excited for updating already existing devices and functions in Reason, not all have to be totally "new" inventions.
I think of many many small improvements would inspire a lot, so such opinion is as valid as any other thing. :thumbup:

jam-s

27 Aug 2022

I suppose this thread will turn into just another one of those frequent feature request threads with things we've heard countless times:

* VST3
* video support
* ogg/FLAC support
* clip/block launcher
* layered blocks
* graphical remote map editor
* sensitivity slider for slice detection
* polyphonic audio to midi
* polyphonic pitch edit
* mixer section modules (as new RE type)
* further improved combinator (displays etc.)
* separate zoom levels for app, rack, mixer and sequencer
* punch in/out recording
* step recording
* more QoL features for the sequencer
* updated, bugfixed and improved stock devices/REs
* 1-click make-an-awesome-chat-topper button (aka "make me rich without effort button")
etc, etc, etc ...

p.s.: I did not read any of the replies, but I think it has already started. So, did I win this thread? ;)

Arrant
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2022

In addition to VST3, track folders, and the usual suspects I would really really REALLY like to see more hardware controller support. If Reason could somehow become THE BEST at remoting it would serve the program incredibly well IMO.

Yonatan

27 Aug 2022

jam-s wrote:
27 Aug 2022
I suppose this thread will turn into just another one of those frequent feature request threads with things we've heard countless times:

* VST3
* video support
* ogg/FLAC support
* clip/block launcher
* layered blocks
* graphical remote map editor
* sensitivity slider for slice detection
* polyphonic audio to midi
* polyphonic pitch edit
* mixer section modules (as new RE type)
* further improved combinator (displays etc.)
* separate zoom levels for app, rack, mixer and sequencer
* punch in/out recording
* step recording
* more QoL features for the sequencer
* updated, bugfixed and improved stock devices/REs
* 1-click make-an-awesome-chat-topper button (aka "make me rich without effort button")
etc, etc, etc ...

p.s.: I did not read any of the replies, but I think it has already started. So, did I win this thread? ;)
haha...good list! You win a virtual bag (pipe) ! :thumbup:

Yonatan

27 Aug 2022

Arrant wrote:
27 Aug 2022
In addition to VST3, track folders, and the usual suspects I would really really REALLY like to see more hardware controller support. If Reason could somehow become THE BEST at remoting it would serve the program incredibly well IMO.
Yeah, that would fit the style of the Reason DAW. More hands on! :thumbup:

scotward57

27 Aug 2022

Honestly, no matter what list of features anybody comes up with, the company itself was never going to be capable of keeping up with the demand. RS Inc has too small of a staff, and it surrendered the DAW battle over a decade ago.

Thanks to RRP, there is a future, but it's either as a plug-in or even better if one of the major DAWs bought them out. I've heard a lot of users swear Bitwig and Reason pair up greatly. Ableton Logic or Cubase are also good candidates.

Bottom line, even if RS somehow got it together and fixed M1, VST3/AU/AAX/Clap and implemented a long list of DAW upgrades, there aren't going to be enough new Reason buyers when that long list of new DAW features already exists in other DAWs. It's too late to catch up and everybody knows it. All of this Reason+, Reason Companion stuff was a stupid attempt to rebrand and it failed. Add to it the buggy R12 release and slow update releases, the writing is on the wall.

Please RS, stop trying to rebrand and go find the best DAW lifeboat you can!!!

DaveyG

27 Aug 2022

I just need 'em to WAKE THE FUCK UP.

chimp_spanner

27 Aug 2022

Having jumped around a lot between Reason, Live, FL Studio and to a much lesser degree, Cubase, my deepest dream is just that it keeps being a DAW forever haha. I honestly don’t like working in anything else anywhere near as much as Reason. For whatever it’s missing, I’ve done so much work I’m really proud of in it and I’ve had fun in the process.

If at some point it could get folder tracks and MIDI clock out to multiple destinations…I’d probably be happy, even if it didn’t get much else. The biggest pains in the ass for me are that big projects become visually overwhelming with no way to collapse groups of instruments and their automation. And of course, I wanna be able to use all my synths/drum machines/etc. in it and have their pattern sync work.

That’s literally it for me. But, I’m still making music in it regardless. So, yeah!

Yonatan

27 Aug 2022

chimp_spanner wrote:
27 Aug 2022
Having jumped around a lot between Reason, Live, FL Studio and to a much lesser degree, Cubase, my deepest dream is just that it keeps being a DAW forever haha. I honestly don’t like working in anything else anywhere near as much as Reason. For whatever it’s missing, I’ve done so much work I’m really proud of in it and I’ve had fun in the process.

If at some point it could get folder tracks and MIDI clock out to multiple destinations…I’d probably be happy, even if it didn’t get much else. The biggest pains in the ass for me are that big projects become visually overwhelming with no way to collapse groups of instruments and their automation. And of course, I wanna be able to use all my synths/drum machines/etc. in it and have their pattern sync work.

That’s literally it for me. But, I’m still making music in it regardless. So, yeah!
Yes, it can be messy in larger projects.
And Midi clock would be a blessing.

BRIGGS

27 Aug 2022

I just want a dog, and a kitty. : )
r11s

bxbrkrz

27 Aug 2022

Reason 2049. Fully immersive experience with haptic feedback. I am not asking for much really... Raging for the machine +
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

avasopht
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2022

bxbrkrz wrote:
27 Aug 2022

Reason 2049. Fully immersive experience with haptic feedback. I am not asking for much really... Raging for the machine +
Isn't that pretty much what real life is?

WOO

27 Aug 2022

I want them to remain a viable business, until the world ends. Which could be tomorrow the way things are going. :lol:

zoidkirb

27 Aug 2022

Maybe RS could sell out to Meta? Reason's rack workflow and RE format in Occulus/VR would make a lot more sense than other DAWs.

bxbrkrz

27 Aug 2022

avasopht wrote:
27 Aug 2022
bxbrkrz wrote:
27 Aug 2022

Isn't that pretty much what real life is?
Yes, but with sub zero latency...
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Jagwah

28 Aug 2022

For a long time I had a vision of video editing support in the Reason sequencer, I don't even need to say that is laughable now. If anything I would like to see Reason have new features that have the Reason Studios touch we have come to know of through most of their efforts - well thought out, innovative and useful features. Basically anything that does not involve a focus on god damn rack devices! : )
carvingcode wrote:
27 Aug 2022
^^^ It's a very good point. You could argue that Reason Studios promote the latter attitude, and it's not bad to be inspired by new gear / technology, but it is a good point.

guitfnky

28 Aug 2022

getting back to basics. RS has been in mega tryhard mode for too long now, putting so much focus on trying to seem innovative, but frankly they've done an awful job of it. if they would get out of their own way and put attention back on the core experience--usability, stability, quality-of-life/general quality (you know...the fundamentals of creating music in a DAW)--Reason could become an appealing DAW again for us salty old vets.

🤞🏻🤞🏻
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MuttReason

28 Aug 2022

Right now? Honestly? That they get their act in gear, attract more people to Reason and build up the user base… and also build up RS sales revenue. Number 1 concern for me at the moment isn’t lack of DAW features etc (although that is a challenge IMO) it is whether or not RS will remain financially robust enough so that Reason is a safe bet as a long-term thing.

Exowildebeest

28 Aug 2022

Yonatan wrote:
27 Aug 2022

2) A clip-launch non linear style of workspace would be so fun.
This is my main wish.

A clip-launcher/live-like view, would really unleash so much more of the potential that the Rack has for live jamming.

plasticfractal

28 Aug 2022

Along with the usual stuff, I think having more colors would go a long way to making the user experience more enjoyable. Even let us pick colors from a map or something. Or give us different palettes to choose from. The current color palette is so ugly and dated.

RobC

28 Aug 2022

To be able to run above 24/192. Such as 32/768 for example. (I will have a capable device, soon. I could use it for additional sound design possibilities. Then there would be no need for oversampling.)

• Information