Reason Studios 13 or 14 (Future Talk)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 2953
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

Post 09 Apr 2024

Theo.M wrote:
09 Apr 2024
Ok I think we should take this to hardware.

Reason runs at a live buffer at all times, I would be using the Focusrite USB at no lower than 128 personally for a good balance.

latencymon is easy, it will tell you if it fails, and if it does, then you can take a screenshot for me., I think move it to hardware so we aren't scolded for going too OT or PM is ok too! Cheers

PS if it fails first thing I'd do is run on the UHD gpu in the 11700 and disable the nvidia. Also go into your bios, once you have told me the motherboard I can see if there's any advanced extra tweaks for it, but disable C states and intel speedstep, so your cpu is always at a constant high frequency. These steps usually totally solve DPC latency and did on my laptop and completely transformed it. Don't have to worry about any of that on Mac thankfully. I bought this laptop to game, nothing more, then it has sort of become a testing bed now that I am making music again after 5 long years without.

PPS if you are using your Focusrite for windows audio also like youtube etc, make sure the sample rate set in Windows audio preferences matches the sample rate in your DAW or it will pop and click.
Really great info man, I'll look into it! FWIW I will say that I can run this interface at 64 samples in Live 12 and Cubase 13. Same sample rate, same plugins. Reason just feels extra twitchy to me (i.e. if I alt-tab or open something from the task bar it crackles/breaks up; I don't get this in other DAWs).

I'll look into all this after work! Thank you again!

User avatar
Theo.M
Posts: 1140
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 09 Apr 2024

chimp_spanner wrote:
09 Apr 2024
Theo.M wrote:
09 Apr 2024
Ok I think we should take this to hardware.

Reason runs at a live buffer at all times, I would be using the Focusrite USB at no lower than 128 personally for a good balance.

latencymon is easy, it will tell you if it fails, and if it does, then you can take a screenshot for me., I think move it to hardware so we aren't scolded for going too OT or PM is ok too! Cheers

PS if it fails first thing I'd do is run on the UHD gpu in the 11700 and disable the nvidia. Also go into your bios, once you have told me the motherboard I can see if there's any advanced extra tweaks for it, but disable C states and intel speedstep, so your cpu is always at a constant high frequency. These steps usually totally solve DPC latency and did on my laptop and completely transformed it. Don't have to worry about any of that on Mac thankfully. I bought this laptop to game, nothing more, then it has sort of become a testing bed now that I am making music again after 5 long years without.

PPS if you are using your Focusrite for windows audio also like youtube etc, make sure the sample rate set in Windows audio preferences matches the sample rate in your DAW or it will pop and click.
Really great info man, I'll look into it! FWIW I will say that I can run this interface at 64 samples in Live 12 and Cubase 13. Same sample rate, same plugins. Reason just feels extra twitchy to me (i.e. if I alt-tab or open something from the task bar it crackles/breaks up; I don't get this in other DAWs).

I'll look into all this after work! Thank you again!
Live is certainly using a live, ahem, buffer like Reason but Cubase is hybrid and has a large 1024 or even bigger, depending on your options chosen, playback buffer.

Cubase will fall apart like reason if you start arming all those tracks for record simultaneously, as then they will all be on the low buffer like Reason *always* is. Compared to most DAWs, imagine Reason always being in track record mode.

That said, Live does NOT have a hybrid buffer so this is a bit baffling to me now, since you say it works fine.
Live is usually the first to have issues in this regard.

If you can, leave it at 64 buffer and turn on live's "test tone" and simulate the usage slider to 80% cpu and tell me if it can handle it or pops and clicks. If there are zero pops and clicks, and your system can handle 64 buffer @ 80% usage, I can already tell you there is no DPC problem (deferred procedure call latency) and we will have to try pin down why Reason in particular is misbehaving for you.

avasopht
Competition Winner
Posts: 3999
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 09 Apr 2024

SebAudio wrote:
08 Apr 2024
avasopht wrote:
07 Apr 2024
If they're wise they'll consider controller collaborations with Akai, Nektar or Novation.
Given what they have done with the great Remote tech when Reason was still a standalone product, I highly doubt they’d go that route since RRP remonte capabilities are under the host DAW
Missing the mark in the past is no reason to skimp in the future.

They missed the mark with plugins (when Steinberg brought them in to design what could have been VSTi, but instead made Rewire and Steinberg had to create it themselves). Still, years later, they made Rack Extensions even though making a plugin format didn't work so well the first time around.



Also, having RRP doesn't mean they must retire Reason as a DAW. FLStudio, MPC Studio and Maschine are also VSTs ;)

PGR
Posts: 97
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 09 Apr 2024

avasopht wrote:
09 Apr 2024
SebAudio wrote:
08 Apr 2024


Given what they have done with the great Remote tech when Reason was still a standalone product, I highly doubt they’d go that route since RRP remonte capabilities are under the host DAW
Missing the mark in the past is no reason to skimp in the future.

They missed the mark with plugins (when Steinberg brought them in to design what could have been VSTi, but instead made Rewire and Steinberg had to create it themselves). Still, years later, they made Rack Extensions even though making a plugin format didn't work so well the first time around.



Also, having RRP doesn't mean they must retire Reason as a DAW. FLStudio, MPC Studio and Maschine are also VSTs ;)
Do we really need Remote when MIDI 2 is just around the corner?

User avatar
jjpscott01
Posts: 105
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: USA

Post 09 Apr 2024

Reason for me at the latest version is running like a dream on my system too. Better than it has maybe since version 7 many moons ago. For what its worth I'm running it on Windows 10 Ryzen 7 5800X with 32 Gb Ram and a RX 580 Graphics card. I have heard things about Nvidia cards recently causing weird glitchy issues with DAW Performance( Not just Reason, but Studio One, Cubase, Etc.) For me though on a modern AMD system its running about as smooth as it ever has. Here's hoping that version 13 continues on this path
| REASON 12 | BITWIG 5 | CUBASE 13 | SSL2+ | AUDIENT ID4 | ERIS E5 MONITORS | ESP LTD TE-212 | MXL MICS | LES PAUL TRADITIONAL PRO II | NEKTAR T4 |[/color] :reason: :re: :PUF_balance: :refill:

fr33mix
Posts: 5
Joined: 18 Oct 2019

Post 10 Apr 2024

I would mostly appreciate the possibility for more midi routing options, especially midi fx as a built in option. Today I use kushview to achieve that, but setting it up is disturbing my creative workflow. I know I can put it all in a combinator (eg with scaler set up, or captain plugins), but then you need to go deep each time you want to play around with the midi fx.

User avatar
spacepluk
Posts: 110
Joined: 17 Apr 2019
Location: Berlin

Post 10 Apr 2024

Are we there yet? I've been on Cubase/ProTools for the last couple of years, waiting for R13 to jump back in =]

User avatar
turn2on
RE Developer
Posts: 805
Joined: 13 Mar 2015

Post 10 Apr 2024

Just remember one thing from Reason 3.0 announce, this feel of some crazy possibilities that coming..!
https://web.archive.org/web/20050414073 ... ads.se:80/
Big history, long story, still usable as 20 years ago)

User avatar
mcatalao
Competition Winner
Posts: 1848
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 10 Apr 2024

turn2on wrote:
10 Apr 2024
Just remember one thing from Reason 3.0 announce, this feel of some crazy possibilities that coming..!
https://web.archive.org/web/20050414073 ... ads.se:80/
Big history, long story, still usable as 20 years ago)
Reason 3 was the first complete version i had. Until then i was using a reason adapted thing that came with an audio card, an M-Audio FW1814 i think. From that to now... A lot have changed, and imho overall for the better, or i wouldn't be able to use Reason as my main DAW (at a professional level, meaning paid mixes, arrangements and so on).

An interesting fact: Remote hasn't changed much, but it is still (despite it's legacy aspect with text files and lua codecs and so on) the one that does everything i want/need, and one of the main reasons i don't jump off to Cubase. Actually they implemented a beautiful remote implementation, that is crap to configure. The more i use it to try and configure my controllers more i hate it and more I love i have for Reason Remote!

djsmex
Posts: 260
Joined: 23 Aug 2016

Post 18 Apr 2024

Screen reader support, NI, Arturia, Ableton and others have all worked on this but Reason 12 has less screen reader support than older versions. It's commercially sound, just look at the success of others who have done it.
:rebirth: :recycle: :reason: :re: :refill: :refillpacker:
youtube @johnsexton8082
www.reasonremoter.co.uk

User avatar
riemac
Posts: 579
Joined: 21 Jan 2015
Location: Germany

Post 18 Apr 2024

On YouTube someone hinted that there is a beta for a new version of Europa going on.
I doen't know if this is true or fake, but I really would like some updates of existing devices and the sequencer in Reason 13!

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 8439
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Imladris

Post 18 Apr 2024

Personally, the sequencer and the browser are probably my most requested areas to have some movement on.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

avasopht
Competition Winner
Posts: 3999
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 18 Apr 2024

PGR wrote:
09 Apr 2024

Do we really need Remote when MIDI 2 is just around the corner?
I'd like to see a few demonstrations of this working for things that already exist.

So far it sounds too vague as if it requires some magic to get it right.

This isn't even a MIDI problem but an autoconfiguration problem that hasn't been solved yet.

User avatar
jjpscott01
Posts: 105
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: USA

Post 22 Apr 2024

EnochLight wrote:
18 Apr 2024
Personally, the sequencer and the browser are probably my most requested areas to have some movement on.
100 percent. If they were to put some work into the sequencer and improve the browser even further id be a happy camper.
| REASON 12 | BITWIG 5 | CUBASE 13 | SSL2+ | AUDIENT ID4 | ERIS E5 MONITORS | ESP LTD TE-212 | MXL MICS | LES PAUL TRADITIONAL PRO II | NEKTAR T4 |[/color] :reason: :re: :PUF_balance: :refill:

xs23t7x
Posts: 17
Joined: 30 Dec 2018

Post 22 Apr 2024

jjpscott01 wrote:
22 Apr 2024
EnochLight wrote:
18 Apr 2024
Personally, the sequencer and the browser are probably my most requested areas to have some movement on.
100 percent. If they were to put some work into the sequencer and improve the browser even further id be a happy camper.
Lot's of people expect sequencer improvements. I think that adding a feature to Reason like Ableton Lives Clips would be a mistake. Ableton already does clips and there's a JammeR Loops Trigger Module that can do scene's and clips with Rex files that Reason already has available for purchase on the Rack Extension store. I personally like the sequencer so I'll just have to wait and see if they add features I can want to it.

jaeproduced
Posts: 233
Joined: 29 Apr 2020
Location: Atlanta, Ga

Post 22 Apr 2024

Since April is almost over I'm expecting a Reason Update or Reason 13 announcement in May if not then Sept/Oct lets keep our fingers crossed I suspect something BIG will drop this year especially being the 30th anniversary of REASON....

User avatar
DaveyG
Posts: 2599
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 23 Apr 2024

xs23t7x wrote:
22 Apr 2024
I think that adding a feature to Reason like Ableton Lives Clips would be a mistake. Ableton already does clips and there's a JammeR Loops Trigger Module that can do scene's and clips with Rex files that Reason already has available for purchase on the Rack Extension store.
Well, there are two things there.
First, JammeR is not even remotely close to Ableton session view. It just plays a few Rex loops.
Second, why would you not want to add functionality that made Ableton the massive success that it is? Session view revolutionised the way people make music. You can drag and drop in any mix of MIDI and audio, of any length and at any tempo, and it will somehow make sense of it all. Back when it launched it felt like voodoo. Now it feel like something that every DAW should offer. When Logic and Protools are quicker to add something than RS are it should ring a few alarm bells.

xs23t7x
Posts: 17
Joined: 30 Dec 2018

Post 23 Apr 2024

DaveyG wrote:
23 Apr 2024
xs23t7x wrote:
22 Apr 2024
I think that adding a feature to Reason like Ableton Lives Clips would be a mistake. Ableton already does clips and there's a JammeR Loops Trigger Module that can do scene's and clips with Rex files that Reason already has available for purchase on the Rack Extension store.
Well, there are two things there.
First, JammeR is not even remotely close to Ableton session view. It just plays a few Rex loops.
Second, why would you not want to add functionality that made Ableton the massive success that it is? Session view revolutionised the way people make music. You can drag and drop in any mix of MIDI and audio, of any length and at any tempo, and it will somehow make sense of it all. Back when it launched it felt like voodoo. Now it feel like something that every DAW should offer. When Logic and Protools are quicker to add something than RS are it should ring a few alarm bells.
Well, you can convert audio tracks to rex and loop them in JammeR as one option or use rex instead of .aif or .wav, etc. & rex's can play in various keys & speeds well. I know there is no MIDI clip function but I think Live absolutely satisfies the Clip Session quota for all. It's the 1st and best Clip DAW along with Bitwig & Logic so the market is oversaturated with Clip view options. I know I likely will never use Clip looping in Reason but I so much want multitimbral compatibility & MIDI instrument support so I can use MIDI sequencers in reason for the plugins/re's & also things like multi timbral Kontakt & Omnisphere. If Reason does do clips I hope you can support more than 8 sequentially per track in case I want to use it for non repetetive music. When I think about it 8 clips in a row are way too few for my preferences. Also it's annoying when I don't hit a note in time in Live compared to Reason.

User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 2953
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

Post 23 Apr 2024

DaveyG wrote:
23 Apr 2024
xs23t7x wrote:
22 Apr 2024
I think that adding a feature to Reason like Ableton Lives Clips would be a mistake. Ableton already does clips and there's a JammeR Loops Trigger Module that can do scene's and clips with Rex files that Reason already has available for purchase on the Rack Extension store.
Well, there are two things there.
First, JammeR is not even remotely close to Ableton session view. It just plays a few Rex loops.
Second, why would you not want to add functionality that made Ableton the massive success that it is? Session view revolutionised the way people make music. You can drag and drop in any mix of MIDI and audio, of any length and at any tempo, and it will somehow make sense of it all. Back when it launched it felt like voodoo. Now it feel like something that every DAW should offer. When Logic and Protools are quicker to add something than RS are it should ring a few alarm bells.
Not saying it's not a cool feature but almost everyone I know who uses Live...doesn't touch session view haha. It is fun though. I just picked up Logic Pro X too as I'm moving over to Mac and it is kinda fun. Probably not something I'd use a lot though. I'm definitely more of a linear guy. Instanced clips would be a more useful feature to me, and AFAIK the only DAWs that offer that are FL (which I honestly can't stand) and Cubase (which has that 'ghost copy' function that's half hidden and nobody really talks about). Like I'd love to be able to double click on my chorus drum clip, make changes, and have any instances of it in my arrangement updated. Like per-track blocks I suppose.

xs23t7x
Posts: 17
Joined: 30 Dec 2018

Post 23 Apr 2024

chimp_spanner wrote:
23 Apr 2024
DaveyG wrote:
23 Apr 2024


Well, there are two things there.
First, JammeR is not even remotely close to Ableton session view. It just plays a few Rex loops.
Second, why would you not want to add functionality that made Ableton the massive success that it is? Session view revolutionised the way people make music. You can drag and drop in any mix of MIDI and audio, of any length and at any tempo, and it will somehow make sense of it all. Back when it launched it felt like voodoo. Now it feel like something that every DAW should offer. When Logic and Protools are quicker to add something than RS are it should ring a few alarm bells.
Not saying it's not a cool feature but almost everyone I know who uses Live...doesn't touch session view haha. It is fun though. I just picked up Logic Pro X too as I'm moving over to Mac and it is kinda fun. Probably not something I'd use a lot though. I'm definitely more of a linear guy. Instanced clips would be a more useful feature to me, and AFAIK the only DAWs that offer that are FL (which I honestly can't stand) and Cubase (which has that 'ghost copy' function that's half hidden and nobody really talks about). Like I'd love to be able to double click on my chorus drum clip, make changes, and have any instances of it in my arrangement updated. Like per-track blocks I suppose.
I nearly forgot about the Logic update that's coming. I'll be looking forward to that one because I learned it might have a major GUI overhaul. Logic has what I think is called instanced clips. Hope that's what Reason does if it does clips. I really in ways prefer Cubase and Reason's GUI's over all the other DAWs I tried except for Bitwig but Cubase had a very basic update series in my opinion and I find doing without a hardware dongle an annoyance. Cubase no longer supports offline authentication units.

Popey
Competition Winner
Posts: 2128
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 23 Apr 2024

I am surprised to hear most people do not use the session view in live as I start all my tracks in session before moving to arrangement later.

Session view is great when creating ideas and jamming as the retrospective record adds new slots for each idea/take. Also find it easier to send info from reason player devices to other vsts in session view due to the layout.

I always assumed people used both views hence the update in 12 to have them all visible together.

sycon
Posts: 58
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 23 Apr 2024

chimp_spanner wrote:
23 Apr 2024
Instanced clips would be a more useful feature to me, and AFAIK the only DAWs that offer that are FL (which I honestly can't stand) and Cubase (which has that 'ghost copy' function that's half hidden and nobody really talks about). Like I'd love to be able to double click on my chorus drum clip, make changes, and have any instances of it in my arrangement updated. Like per-track blocks I suppose.
Have you checked out alias clips in Logic? Shft+alt drag a clip to create an alias. When you modify the original clip, the alias clip will be modified as well.

sycon
Posts: 58
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 23 Apr 2024

Edit: double post
Last edited by sycon on 23 Apr 2024, edited 1 time in total.

xs23t7x
Posts: 17
Joined: 30 Dec 2018

Post 23 Apr 2024

Popey wrote:
23 Apr 2024
I am surprised to hear most people do not use the session view in live as I start all my tracks in session before moving to arrangement later.

Session view is great when creating ideas and jamming as the retrospective record adds new slots for each idea/take. Also find it easier to send info from reason player devices to other vsts in session view due to the layout.

I always assumed people used both views hence the update in 12 to have them all visible together.
Session view in Live for me is a limitation that I think Live can't surpass for me because in Reason everything is like a whole gear rack and you can scroll from track to track with 2 different techniques. In the arrangement or via track. Having a larger device window with the name of the track/preset name/image of the instrument or effect and the whole classic studio style design in Reason makes me regret planning to get deep into Live by mistake. Lives track windows and arrangement views are what the british call "Fiddly" to me although Live is elegent looking. I only use it some.

Popey
Competition Winner
Posts: 2128
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 23 Apr 2024

xs23t7x wrote:
23 Apr 2024
Popey wrote:
23 Apr 2024
I am surprised to hear most people do not use the session view in live as I start all my tracks in session before moving to arrangement later.

Session view is great when creating ideas and jamming as the retrospective record adds new slots for each idea/take. Also find it easier to send info from reason player devices to other vsts in session view due to the layout.

I always assumed people used both views hence the update in 12 to have them all visible together.
Session view in Live for me is a limitation that I think Live can't surpass for me because in Reason everything is like a whole gear rack and you can scroll from track to track with 2 different techniques. In the arrangement or via track. Having a larger device window with the name of the track/preset name/image of the instrument or effect and the whole classic studio style design in Reason makes me regret planning to get deep into Live by mistake. Lives track windows and arrangement views are what the british call "Fiddly" to me although Live is elegent looking. I only use it some.
Yeah I think that is the benefit of different daws as different workflow suits each person individually. Good thing is we have the RRP so if you prefer something other than reason you can still use the reason goodies.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Google [Bot], Yandex [Bot] and 4 guests