Reason Studios 13 or 14 (Future Talk)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 11246
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 19 Aug 2023

npinero1 wrote:
13 Aug 2022
jam-s wrote:
12 Aug 2022


You know: In Sweden the summer vacation is rather long and I suspect any RS employee would rather not taint their vacation reading here how much their work/company/DAW/sequencer/etc. allegedly sucks.
I don't think Reason sucks, I think it is 60-70% good. I just would love to see 2 upgrades: VST3 and M1 compatibility. After that, I am good.
wow...where have you been the last half year?
Reason12, Win10

User avatar
Kilsane
Posts: 287
Joined: 15 Sep 2016
Location: Villeneuve saint Georges - France

Post 20 Aug 2023

at the same time npinero1's comment is already 1 years old and dates from when Reason was not yet M1 compatible and did not yet have VST3 support

User avatar
tomusurp
Posts: 322
Joined: 30 Jan 2022
Location: USA

Post 20 Aug 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Aug 2023
jaeproduced wrote:
17 Aug 2023
I believe Reason 12 will be the last version of the permanent license. None thing but subscription service from now on with monthly to quarterly fixes & updates. And like Pro Tools you will not be able to update without being apart of the subscription service which every company that's sold to private equity firms have adopted. Let's hope I'm wrong...
I think RS would like to go subscription only. But I also think they realize they are not in a position to do so. I don't think it will happen, especially after the Waves fiasco. They would simply lose too many customers who are not ready to go down that route. Myself included.
Who knows how things will go further down the line, but I would be very surprised if we at the very least don't get a Reason 13.
And I still can't believe Waves tried to pull that. I didn't care much because I got everything I wanted from there. But from a business standpoint it's so stupid to offer only one option of payment when you can please both parties, ones who can afford to pay now an save in the longrun and then those on a budget or testing out the program more. That's why I quit Adobe subscription. Best decision ever. Now I'm with Davinci Resolve (even better than Premiere) and to replace Photoshop I got Affinity Photo a few years back for cheap, just as good, for a lifetime license
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/@usurptom
https://www.usurptom.com


:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

User avatar
mimidancer
Posts: 714
Joined: 30 Sep 2021

Post 21 Aug 2023

In Reason Studios 13 or 14 updates will download you.

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 8439
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Imladris

Post 21 Aug 2023

Loque wrote:
19 Aug 2023
wow...where have you been the last half year?
Bro - you pulled a forum post from over a year ago.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 11246
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 21 Aug 2023

EnochLight wrote:
21 Aug 2023
Loque wrote:
19 Aug 2023
wow...where have you been the last half year?
Bro - you pulled a forum post from over a year ago.
Too 🔥🥵 in here...
Reason12, Win10

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 11880
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 21 Aug 2023

EnochLight wrote:
21 Aug 2023
Loque wrote:
19 Aug 2023
wow...where have you been the last half year?
Bro - you pulled a forum post from over a year ago.
You never know…
Could have been an honest question, like "dude, we missed you, where have you been the last half year?".
Or maybe literally "where have you been", like "have you visited any interesting places the last half year?"
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 8439
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Imladris

Post 21 Aug 2023

selig wrote:
21 Aug 2023
EnochLight wrote:
21 Aug 2023


Bro - you pulled a forum post from over a year ago.
You never know…
Could have been an honest question, like "dude, we missed you, where have you been the last half year?".
Or maybe literally "where have you been", like "have you visited any interesting places the last half year?"
;)
Image
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
Biolumin3sc3nt
Posts: 662
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 21 Aug 2023

Haha...nice! Hope everyone is doing swell, it's been a while!! :)

Ichooselife
Posts: 228
Joined: 19 Aug 2023

Post 24 Aug 2023

tomusurp wrote:
20 Aug 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Aug 2023

I think RS would like to go subscription only. But I also think they realize they are not in a position to do so. I don't think it will happen, especially after the Waves fiasco. They would simply lose too many customers who are not ready to go down that route. Myself included.
Who knows how things will go further down the line, but I would be very surprised if we at the very least don't get a Reason 13.
And I still can't believe Waves tried to pull that. I didn't care much because I got everything I wanted from there. But from a business standpoint it's so stupid to offer only one option of payment when you can please both parties, ones who can afford to pay now an save in the longrun and then those on a budget or testing out the program more. That's why I quit Adobe subscription. Best decision ever. Now I'm with Davinci Resolve (even better than Premiere) and to replace Photoshop I got Affinity Photo a few years back for cheap, just as good, for a lifetime license
it is annoying to think
if you can own something anymore

i mean if i buy a hardware unit it’s mine until it breaks unless it’s discontinued

and it’s kinda the same in the software world
i mean you don’t have to move with the times
you can stay on an old versio. quite happily for an extra
6 years maybe doesnt timecop of the synthwave world use a much older fruity loops version because he is used to that ?

usually i can do this that is
until reason 12…


these companies are making much less money now , because people don’t wanna pay for things that are not physical ie music software ( not Everyone ) but the majority
so there getting more creative in the ways to grab your money

sure it’s a business i get it

but if we don’t wanna move with the times yet let us



i’m happy on reason 11

oh and i’ll never be a subscriber only

i would rather have a perpetual licence

or second to that i would rather have a cracked version

( oh and some of us don’t want our computers online it’s distracting and uses up cpu


so reason 13 give us some
new fx and update the bloody daw

and give offline useage to all versions
so we can upgrade when we like

ugly ways of doing things will make people run


oh and this little loyal community will not hold you up forever

be nice please

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 11880
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 24 Aug 2023

Ichooselife wrote:
24 Aug 2023

it is annoying to think
if you can own something anymore

i mean if i buy a hardware unit it’s mine until it breaks unless it’s discontinued

and it’s kinda the same in the software world
i mean you don’t have to move with the times
you can stay on an old versio. quite happily for an extra
6 years maybe doesnt timecop of the synthwave world use a much older fruity loops version because he is used to that ?

usually i can do this that is
until reason 12…
Not following you here, Reason 12 did not end permanent licenses, it added subscriptions. I can’t ever see myself being a subscriber, and with that in mind Reason 12 changed NOTHING for me - so I have to ask why did it change anything for you?
Selig Audio, LLC

Ichooselife
Posts: 228
Joined: 19 Aug 2023

Post 24 Aug 2023

selig wrote:
24 Aug 2023
Ichooselife wrote:
24 Aug 2023

it is annoying to think
if you can own something anymore

i mean if i buy a hardware unit it’s mine until it breaks unless it’s discontinued

and it’s kinda the same in the software world
i mean you don’t have to move with the times
you can stay on an old versio. quite happily for an extra
6 years maybe doesnt timecop of the synthwave world use a much older fruity loops version because he is used to that ?

usually i can do this that is
until reason 12…
Not following you here, Reason 12 did not end permanent licenses, it added subscriptions. I can’t ever see myself being a subscriber, and with that in mind Reason 12 changed NOTHING for me - so I have to ask why did it change anything for you?
sorry i didn’t make myself clear i mean if they did in future

i haven’t got reason 12

and i wont be able to activate offline in future hence being forced to upgrade if i wanna be safe

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 3092
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 24 Aug 2023

I guess RS could implement automatic stem separation in R13 as a new feature based on SPLEETER or some custom spin of the same principle. If they then also add track folders to the sequencer and perhaps foldable rack columns it could be OK for a new version.

Of course introducing a free empty rack plugin or layered blocks or a block launching mode/view would also be very nice, but I doubt getting any of those in R13... R14 maybe...

User avatar
rcbuse
RE Developer
Posts: 1183
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: SR388

Post 24 Aug 2023

selig wrote:
24 Aug 2023

Not following you here, Reason 12 did not end permanent licenses
Well.... they kinda-sorta did with the 12.6 update.

Pick whatever scenario you want, maybe far fetched, but still.. company deactivates R12.6 copy protection because R14 is "better"... or the company can't keep the lights on and goes under.... who knows.. whatever puts those servers out of commission.

If you were running the old copy protection, with the offline license on a ignition key, there is some chance that ignition key will last a very long time. You could fire up a fresh install with a copy of your REs and continue to run R11 or R12.5 for another 20 years. More or less "permanent"

But if you are running the new 12.6 stuff, and those servers are gone, you have a year before it all grinds to a halt. Certainly not "permanent".

Ichooselife
Posts: 228
Joined: 19 Aug 2023

Post 24 Aug 2023

rcbuse wrote:
24 Aug 2023
selig wrote:
24 Aug 2023

Not following you here, Reason 12 did not end permanent licenses
Well.... they kinda-sorta did with the 12.6 update.

Pick whatever scenario you want, maybe far fetched, but still.. company deactivates R12.6 copy protection because R14 is "better"... or the company can't keep the lights on and goes under.... who knows.. whatever puts those servers out of commission.

If you were running the old copy protection, with the offline license on a ignition key, there is some chance that ignition key will last a very long time. You could fire up a fresh install with a copy of your REs and continue to run R11 or R12.5 for another 20 years. More or less "permanent"

But if you are running the new 12.6 stuff, and those servers are gone, you have a year before it all grinds to a halt. Certainly not "permanent".
oh shit that’s a point

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 4899
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 24 Aug 2023

Loque wrote:
21 Aug 2023
EnochLight wrote:
21 Aug 2023


Bro - you pulled a forum post from over a year ago.
Too 🔥🥵 in here...
That's global warming for you. 🤣
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 8439
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Imladris

Post 24 Aug 2023

rcbuse wrote:
24 Aug 2023
selig wrote:
24 Aug 2023

Not following you here, Reason 12 did not end permanent licenses
Well.... they kinda-sorta did with the 12.6 update.

Pick whatever scenario you want, maybe far fetched, but still.. company deactivates R12.6 copy protection because R14 is "better"... or the company can't keep the lights on and goes under.... who knows.. whatever puts those servers out of commission.

If you were running the old copy protection, with the offline license on a ignition key, there is some chance that ignition key will last a very long time. You could fire up a fresh install with a copy of your REs and continue to run R11 or R12.5 for another 20 years. More or less "permanent"

But if you are running the new 12.6 stuff, and those servers are gone, you have a year before it all grinds to a halt. Certainly not "permanent".
I've seen this scenario presented in the past, but the thing is - I don't see that ever happening like people think it will. Let's assume RS "throws in the towel". They absolutely have a product that has tangible value and it will likely be sold and bought by a new owner, who would not just kill the authorization server and throw away tens of thousands of potential customers who may pay to upgrade (perpetually). That just seems unrealistic. That said, I hope we never see the day. I'm here to see Reason 13, 14, and beyond. Reason X! :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
rcbuse
RE Developer
Posts: 1183
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: SR388

Post 24 Aug 2023

EnochLight wrote:
24 Aug 2023


I've seen this scenario presented in the past, but the thing is - I don't see that ever happening like people think it will. Let's assume RS "throws in the towel". They absolutely have a product that has tangible value and it will likely be sold and bought by a new owner, who would not just kill the authorization server and throw away tens of thousands of potential customers who may pay to upgrade (perpetually). That just seems unrealistic. That said, I hope we never see the day. I'm here to see Reason 13, 14, and beyond. Reason X! :lol:
Of course.. But the new owner could certainly kill off old license servers for R12.6 and force everyone to upgrade to R14 at some point. They would certainly have that power ...because... the underlying mechanism is no longer permanent.

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 3832
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 24 Aug 2023

Creativemind wrote:
24 Aug 2023
Loque wrote:
21 Aug 2023


Too 🔥🥵 in here...
That's global warming for you. 🤣
It's called climate change. What is this, 2003?

Ichooselife
Posts: 228
Joined: 19 Aug 2023

Post 24 Aug 2023

EnochLight wrote:
24 Aug 2023
rcbuse wrote:
24 Aug 2023


Well.... they kinda-sorta did with the 12.6 update.

Pick whatever scenario you want, maybe far fetched, but still.. company deactivates R12.6 copy protection because R14 is "better"... or the company can't keep the lights on and goes under.... who knows.. whatever puts those servers out of commission.

If you were running the old copy protection, with the offline license on a ignition key, there is some chance that ignition key will last a very long time. You could fire up a fresh install with a copy of your REs and continue to run R11 or R12.5 for another 20 years. More or less "permanent"

But if you are running the new 12.6 stuff, and those servers are gone, you have a year before it all grinds to a halt. Certainly not "permanent".
I've seen this scenario presented in the past, but the thing is - I don't see that ever happening like people think it will. Let's assume RS "throws in the towel". They absolutely have a product that has tangible value and it will likely be sold and bought by a new owner, who would not just kill the authorization server and throw away tens of thousands of potential customers who may pay to upgrade (perpetually). That just seems unrealistic. That said, I hope we never see the day. I'm here to see Reason 13, 14, and beyond. Reason X! :lol:
how many paying customers does reason actually have ?

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 4899
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 24 Aug 2023

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
24 Aug 2023
Creativemind wrote:
24 Aug 2023


That's global warming for you. 🤣
It's called climate change. What is this, 2003?
It's both.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 11880
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 25 Aug 2023

rcbuse wrote:
24 Aug 2023
EnochLight wrote:
24 Aug 2023


I've seen this scenario presented in the past, but the thing is - I don't see that ever happening like people think it will. Let's assume RS "throws in the towel". They absolutely have a product that has tangible value and it will likely be sold and bought by a new owner, who would not just kill the authorization server and throw away tens of thousands of potential customers who may pay to upgrade (perpetually). That just seems unrealistic. That said, I hope we never see the day. I'm here to see Reason 13, 14, and beyond. Reason X! :lol:
Of course.. But the new owner could certainly kill off old license servers for R12.6 and force everyone to upgrade to R14 at some point. They would certainly have that power ...because... the underlying mechanism is no longer permanent.
Yea, and the current owners could also do the same thing, and it was the current owners that made this change in the first place.
That said, I have to wonder if the word “permanent” is working all that well in the software context. By that definition i own a ton of software permanently that i can never actually use again (everything I’ve “purchased” permanently since 1986 up to recently), so that meaning is somewhat lost to me.
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 8439
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Imladris

Post 25 Aug 2023

rcbuse wrote:
24 Aug 2023
Of course.. But the new owner could certainly kill off old license servers for R12.6 and force everyone to upgrade to R14 at some point. They would certainly have that power ...because... the underlying mechanism is no longer permanent.
I mean sure - they certainly could - but as I described above, I don't feel it's a realistic path. That's a scorched-earth policy, and not going to generate new sales. To illustrated things further, this "power" has been in RS hands back through Propellerhead as soon as Rack Extensions launched - something that's obviously not lost on you as an RE dev. All it took is for them to kill the RE authentication server and no more RE's can be activated - Ignition Key, Balance, Computer, or otherwise (and yes I get that for those RE's that were already on hardware dongles, you have a "sort of" permanent license as long as the dongle didn't fail or your computer didn't die). So, it's a bit late to worry about this IMHO. :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 8439
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Imladris

Post 25 Aug 2023

Ichooselife wrote:
24 Aug 2023
how many paying customers does reason actually have ?
Enough to easily support the full-time working wages in Sweden of about a dozen employees and continue to release new products, evidently.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
tomusurp
Posts: 322
Joined: 30 Jan 2022
Location: USA

Post 25 Aug 2023

Ichooselife wrote:
24 Aug 2023
tomusurp wrote:
20 Aug 2023


And I still can't believe Waves tried to pull that. I didn't care much because I got everything I wanted from there. But from a business standpoint it's so stupid to offer only one option of payment when you can please both parties, ones who can afford to pay now an save in the longrun and then those on a budget or testing out the program more. That's why I quit Adobe subscription. Best decision ever. Now I'm with Davinci Resolve (even better than Premiere) and to replace Photoshop I got Affinity Photo a few years back for cheap, just as good, for a lifetime license
it is annoying to think
if you can own something anymore

i mean if i buy a hardware unit it’s mine until it breaks unless it’s discontinued

and it’s kinda the same in the software world
i mean you don’t have to move with the times
you can stay on an old versio. quite happily for an extra
6 years maybe doesnt timecop of the synthwave world use a much older fruity loops version because he is used to that ?

usually i can do this that is
until reason 12…


these companies are making much less money now , because people don’t wanna pay for things that are not physical ie music software ( not Everyone ) but the majority
so there getting more creative in the ways to grab your money

sure it’s a business i get it

but if we don’t wanna move with the times yet let us



i’m happy on reason 11

oh and i’ll never be a subscriber only

i would rather have a perpetual licence

or second to that i would rather have a cracked version

( oh and some of us don’t want our computers online it’s distracting and uses up cpu


so reason 13 give us some
new fx and update the bloody daw

and give offline useage to all versions
so we can upgrade when we like

ugly ways of doing things will make people run


oh and this little loyal community will not hold you up forever

be nice please
Timecop of software, I love that phrase lol

In Reason's defense, at least they still have both options of purchase, I don't think there's anything wrong with offering subscription because it could be useful for some and also potentially more money for Reason. With that said, no matter what age we are in, subscription only is still stupid, especially when you still make money from upgrades and new users.

Personally I have no quarrels with Reason, it's a great DAW. Every DAW will have its pros and cons anyway and they are not a big deal. As I like to say, it's a great time to be alive for producers now. Unbelievable DAWS now and free unlimited education on YouTube for all things music production and engineering

I also just bought FL Studio because I'm curious to learn other DAWS. Let me tell you it's unbelievable in it's own right. And here's a huge benefit which it sounds you might like, FREE LIFETIME UPDATES. That's a very consumer-friendly business model and their community on the official forum, reddit and discord are very active and awesome. People very willing to help out.
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/@usurptom
https://www.usurptom.com


:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 11 guests