Can I isolate one instrument in a combinator?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
sonja

07 Aug 2022

I am using a Combinator patch under Performance, Song Starter, Dubinator.

It has drums, bass and a phase organ (Subtractor) among other things and all kinds of effects. For a few bars I just want to play the organ. If I just load a new organ it doesn't sound the same of course because there are all kinds of things hooked up to it to make it sound the way it does within the combinator. I need it to not have the Matrix engaged for a few bars to play some long tones. I would also like to not have at least some of the other instruments playing in that part, maybe even just the organ.

What I've tried but doesn't seem to work:

Copying Dubinator and just unhooking organ from Matrix
Making a new phase organ (a new Subtrator) but my skills are limited on figuring out all the stuff in the original Combinator so it sounds completely different. Plus, I might want some of the other sounds.

Ugh- it seems like maybe I'll need to use the editor- is that the right direction? Thanks
Win10|Reason12|i7 -8565U CPU 16 GB RAM Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen, keys KontaktKompltS 88MK2, JBL 306P MkII Powrd Studio Monitors, Saxophones (silver-plate):Selmer BA Alto Daddy-O MP, Yamaha Custom Z Tenor, Robusto 7*MP, Flutes Haynes (C) DiZhau Alto

Loque

07 Aug 2022

Without any idea of the insights of the Combinator patch, it is a bit hard to tell you how to achieve what you want.

But in general, yes, you always can siolate any sound, but as you said, with lots of FX and connections, it can be a bit hard.
Reason12, Win10

sonja

07 Aug 2022

There are many instruments and effects in this combinator, but specifically there is a Subtractor that has a phase organ sound that goes to a Matrix. The first thing I want to do is stop the Matrix for a few bars and play long tones on the organ. It would be nice to have other sounds muted also, such as some or all of the various drums, bass, etc. But the sound of the phase organ, which might also be layered with some other sounds that I see, is what I'm primarily wanting to use for a few bars.
Win10|Reason12|i7 -8565U CPU 16 GB RAM Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen, keys KontaktKompltS 88MK2, JBL 306P MkII Powrd Studio Monitors, Saxophones (silver-plate):Selmer BA Alto Daddy-O MP, Yamaha Custom Z Tenor, Robusto 7*MP, Flutes Haynes (C) DiZhau Alto

mcatalao
Competition Winner

07 Aug 2022

I don't have reason or a computer right now, but you can create a pattern track for that matrix and control it from the sequencer. Or you can route one of the combi buttons to the matrix play button and Control it from there. That being said you can copy the combi also and just delete the matrix too, check if you have a midi lane for the organ.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

07 Aug 2022

Ps, I'm sure a complex combi like that also has a mixer so you can also mute stuff in the mixer too.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

07 Aug 2022

Ps. : the matrix is a cv device so I don't get what you mean by going into the matrix. The matrix is controlling something, or sending notes somewhere or being used like a complex lfo. I'd say if you lose your organ sound when you unhook the matrix you probably need to activate midi send to the organ. The creation combis are usually complex but they're also good to learn stuff about routing while scalping them!!
Last edited by mcatalao on 07 Aug 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Billy+

07 Aug 2022

Check out the mixer section inside the combinator and mute the devices you're not after, you should also be able to automate the mute

sonja

07 Aug 2022

The Subtractor phase organ connections are:

Gate input Envelopes are connected to Spider CV1 Split Outputs 1, 2 and 3 respectively.
Audio Output connected to Spider audio 3: Split input left.

The connected devices to Spider CV 1 are:
Organ patterns and Organ, and when I go to Matrix it shows Spider CV1 as connected device.

The connected devices to Spider audio 3 are:
Organ, PHASE INOUT and Phaser 1.

There is a micro mix that has Spider audio 3 Split Output 1 Left and Phaser 1 Left.

To make my phase organ sound, I made a piano (NNXT) and played in the part and then moved it up to the Combi track. Then the chords I played sound like the organ and go through the Matrix and everything. But maybe it's going through other things than just organ and Matrix.

PHASE INOUT is also connected to a DDL.
Phaser (PH-90) is connected to Spider audio 3, PHASEINOUT and organ patterns.

MCataloo: the buttons on the combi seem to only give the options of Editing automation, keyboard control mapping and remote override mapping. It didn't seem to work to copy combi and delete Matrix. That only serves to make organ sound disappear but drums are still working. I don't see midi lane for organ. There are 6 micro mixers in this combi and the one that seems to be connected to the organ (Spider Audio 3 split output 1 left)- the mute doesn't seem to mute anything. The only other channel is Phser 1 left and when I mute that the organ soond goes away.

Billy: see above ^ re: my attempts to mute.

Thanks for your ideas- let me know if you have anything else I could try.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

07 Aug 2022

I probably can't help you since I suck with the technical stuff.
But I'm sure if you posted the combinator patch here in the thread some people here will be able to take a closer look and help you out. Perhaps they could even send you back a new patch the way you want it?

PhillipOrdonez

07 Aug 2022

There's a run button on the combinator you can (I think) automate?

Loque

07 Aug 2022

sonja wrote: ...
Sheez...ok, that is really a complicated Combinator.

The Matrix is controlling the Envelops of the Subtractor, that means without a RUNning Matrix, you wont hear anything. You can disable the Matrix and remove the Envelope connections from the Subtractor. Didnt looked after the other things, but i guess, they work similar. And according to the manual, the Gate from the Matrix has an impact on the sound. You can probably change this by controlling those paramters via the Velocity modulation area. Also note, that Curve from the Matrix is controlling the Phaser Frequency, which has also an impact onthe sound. You can apply a key-control to manage this via an extra device like RPG-8, if you need the Phaser-Frequency-Control.
gate-CV.jpg
gate-CV.jpg (413.9 KiB) Viewed 934 times
Reason12, Win10

sonja

07 Aug 2022

Tritone- do you mean post a screen shot of the devices in the combi?

Phillip- for some reason there is no option for edit automation on RUN for this combinator (Dubinator- a combi patch under Song Starters).

I have sort of found an answer- I copied the entire combi and by trial and error deleted stuff that left me with the organ sound and effects. However, the other original combi I'd like to be able to work with- like the bass which ALSO goes through yet another Matrix that I wish I could use more selectively (not just change pattern but bypass if I wanted to). It's hard to mute instruments in the combi for some reason- I have to automate bypass and it's tricky to try to let some of the sounds play and not others.

Also, it seems like some of the combinators only have the option to RUN or not play at all. And why can I just play keyboard right from the start with some combinators and with others I have to play chords in on some other track and nudge the track up to the combi for it to play the chords through some of its sounds.

sonja

07 Aug 2022

Loque-
So it does require that I copy the combi and get rid of the instruments/devices I don't want and not just work within the first combinatior, is that right? Because yes, I was able to disconnect from gate input and get just organ.

Loque

07 Aug 2022

sonja wrote:
07 Aug 2022
Loque-
So it does require that I copy the combi and get rid of the instruments/devices I don't want and not just work within the first combinatior, is that right? Because yes, I was able to disconnect from gate input and get just organ.
Yea, but you need to ensure, that you leave the Subtractor and its FX below. You might need to connect the last of Subtractor's FX to the Combi-Mixer to hear a sound. I would quickly do that for you, but i have R12 and therefore Combinator V2.
Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

07 Aug 2022

sonja wrote:
07 Aug 2022
No not really, I mean post the whole patch so that people here can open it themselves.
Find where the patch is on your computer. Make it a compressed (zipped) file. Then attach the file in a post here by pressing the "Attachment" button below where you write the text.

Here's an example:
Attachments
Glimmering.zip
(2.52 KiB) Downloaded 35 times

joeyluck

07 Aug 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
07 Aug 2022
sonja wrote:
07 Aug 2022
No not really, I mean post the whole patch so that people here can open it themselves.
Find where the patch is on your computer. Make it a compressed (zipped) file. Then attach the file in a post here by pressing the "Attachment" button below where you write the text.

Here's an example:
It's located in the FSB. As sonja mentioned, it's located under Song Starters. I believe the full name of the patch is "Dubinator 70 bpm [Run]"

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

07 Aug 2022

joeyluck wrote:
07 Aug 2022
TritoneAddiction wrote:
07 Aug 2022

Here's an example:
It's located in the FSB. As sonja mentioned, it's located under Song Starters. I believe the full name of the patch is "Dubinator 70 bpm [Run]"
👍
Yes it’s of course easier to find it that way. I don’t know why I complicated things.

Re8et
Competition Winner

07 Aug 2022

sonja wrote:
07 Aug 2022

Thanks for your ideas- let me know if you have anything else I could try.
I often use AB switch, also the Executioner Mixer, or as others said, just use a line mixer.
You can use select CV swith, to make your automations easyers.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... cv-switch/
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... cv-switch/
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -dj-mixer/

sonja

08 Aug 2022

Thanks so much for all of this info- I'll look at it and see what works. I'm a musician, not a technician, so some of this stuff is very difficult for me. But I've used Reason for over 10 years and so I know it, but need to keep learning at a deeper level because of the stuff I'm trying to do. They used to have good books out that were pretty comprehensive but I haven't seen any more recent ones- I found them very helpful- does anyone know of new Reason books? Maybe at this point tutorials are better. But usually the people on here are very helpful and I appreciate it!

sonja

08 Aug 2022

OK- have CV switch installed- unsure what to do now-

dvdrtldg

08 Aug 2022

Someone else has already suggested this, but it's worth repeating - upload the combi patch! Then it'll be easy for someone else to download it and find the solution to your problem

Loque

08 Aug 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
08 Aug 2022
Someone else has already suggested this, but it's worth repeating - upload the combi patch! Then it'll be easy for someone else to download it and find the solution to your problem
Someone mentioned, the patch is in FSB. It's called Dubinator.

And this patch is of cause pretty complicated inside.
Reason12, Win10

• Information