upgrade suggestion

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
manoob

04 Aug 2022

for me next upgrade shouldnt be about new synths and devices, but making our workflow better first and for most.
making 3rd party controllers work seamlesly with reason, i got xtouch which is a fantastic device to hrlp my work flow but it works not so well on reason..... its becoming so important to use controllers for me that im thinking starting on a second daw that is better with this.dont push it just to manufactors door because you want the best eco system here.

a better audio/midi editing mode is important.
also grouping ,being able to minimise a group of channels with one click really really helps....
than i looked at luna, you can buy different mixers like neve for your daw reason..and get their sound signature to your sound, now ssl, next day i could use neve instead..and i bet that would bring more income too!!!!
add summing to channels where we could buy different types from you...
just a few suggestion for good folk in reason...

MrBlue

05 Aug 2022

manoob wrote:
04 Aug 2022
making 3rd party controllers work seamlesly with reason, i got xtouch which is a fantastic device to hrlp my work flow but it works not so well on reason.....
I agree, I have the Icon Nano Controller and it doesn't work well with Reason...

What are the technicians at Reason Studio waiting for to move on this subject, it's been years that other DAWs are moving forward and for Reason... nothing!
An association with a manufacturer would be welcome.
Last edited by MrBlue on 05 Aug 2022, edited 1 time in total.

MuttReason

05 Aug 2022

Responding to the multiple requests on this board and elsewhere for DAW improvements would be good. And I find it strange that RS has done so little to update Remote out of the box so there’s built-in support for the new generation of mass-market MIDI controllers. They’ve missed the boat on that one.

FWIW the v best hardware and DAW combination I’ve ever used is Push2 and Ableton Live. For me that’s the gold standard in making hardware and software feel like a unified whole. But Live isn’t to everyone’s tastes I know.

Personally I find grouping channels into busses in the Reason SSL mixer pretty simple and up there with any DAW. It’s in the sequencer that the lack of grouping and track folders is so annoying.

Have you tried Luna? I couldn’t get on with it, trying too hard to compete with ProTools I think. Not as intuitive as other DAWs, although that may change over time (it is a free v1 release after all). One dealbreaker for me was iLok for all UAD native plugins running in Luna. I loathe iLok, it is malware masquerading as copy protection. Luna is also pretty buggy when I last used it (a few weeks ago) although again to be fair it’s a brand new DAW and it’s still evolving.

MrBlue

05 Aug 2022

With my Icon Nano I had a BitWig 8 license, limited but functional enough to get an idea, however I still have trouble finding my way around, that's where Reason is strong because it's more intuitive and the rack is really its strong point... anyway
The Icon Nano controller works great with BitWig, so why not with Reason?

selig
RE Developer

05 Aug 2022

MuttReason wrote:
05 Aug 2022
Responding to the multiple requests on this board and elsewhere for DAW improvements would be good. And I find it strange that RS has done so little to update Remote out of the box so there’s built-in support for the new generation of mass-market MIDI controllers. They’ve missed the boat on that one.

FWIW the v best hardware and DAW combination I’ve ever used is Push2 and Ableton Live. For me that’s the gold standard in making hardware and software feel like a unified whole. But Live isn’t to everyone’s tastes I know.

Personally I find grouping channels into busses in the Reason SSL mixer pretty simple and up there with any DAW. It’s in the sequencer that the lack of grouping and track folders is so annoying.

Have you tried Luna? I couldn’t get on with it, trying too hard to compete with ProTools I think. Not as intuitive as other DAWs, although that may change over time (it is a free v1 release after all). One dealbreaker for me was iLok for all UAD native plugins running in Luna. I loathe iLok, it is malware masquerading as copy protection. Luna is also pretty buggy when I last used it (a few weeks ago) although again to be fair it’s a brand new DAW and it’s still evolving.
Would you say Luna was/is buggier than Reason?!? It's a 2 year old DAW, so technically not "brand new" any more IMO.
[EDIT: it is Luna's similarities to PT that appeal to me the most, so I don't feel it's "trying too hard" in that regard]
Selig Audio, LLC

MuttReason

05 Aug 2022

Selig, short answer is I’ve managed to crash Luna fairly often even on latest build whereas for me latest build of R12 is rock solid. No clear pattern as to why Luna locks up or crashes, it just happens. Not super frequent but often enough that I’m wary when I use it and save manually every 5 minutes.

I love how Luna looks (it’s similar to Reason in the way that it’s designed to look like actual hardware) and I was pretty excited about it when it first came out. Over time I’ve become less of a fan. Chasing the ProTools base may make sense commercially for UAD but I’m not a fan of PT so not my thing.

And the iLok thing is plain daft when I have a UAD dongle sitting on my desk in the form of a UAD audio interface.

selig
RE Developer

05 Aug 2022

MuttReason wrote:
05 Aug 2022
Selig, short answer is I’ve managed to crash Luna fairly often even on latest build whereas for me latest build of R12 is rock solid. No clear pattern as to why Luna locks up or crashes, it just happens. Not super frequent but often enough that I’m wary when I use it and save manually every 5 minutes.

I love how Luna looks (it’s similar to Reason in the way that it’s designed to look like actual hardware) and I was pretty excited about it when it first came out. Over time I’ve become less of a fan. Chasing the ProTools base may make sense commercially for UAD but I’m not a fan of PT so not my thing.

And the iLok thing is plain daft when I have a UAD dongle sitting on my desk in the form of a UAD audio interface.
Interesting, hate those random crashes that you can't even work around!
I'm biased towards PT as a (very) long time user. At the most basic level the PT approach works better for me. Things like time based selection (reason is more object based), ability to "do to all" or "do to selected" with just about every command, the two window approach, the way it handles punching in/out, automation, audio routing, sends/auxes, markers, multi-tool (big one), tight hardware integration (important mainly when tracking audio, but also for MIDI), Edit/mix groups, cue mixes, and some Luna specific features like total undo history, bookmarks/versions/autosave, Unison preamps, tracking with plugins if needed, dedicated tape emulation slot built in (been hopping for this in Reason for years), etc. There's probably stuff I'm forgetting, but you get the idea.
So it's probably as much my bias as an ex PT user as it is my studio engineering background that leans me towards Luna, while my electronic musician history (which is longer than my engineering history) keeps me tied to Reason!
But first, I would have to buy into the Apollo system before any of this would even be possible, which I'm still investigating.
Thanks for the feedback!
Selig Audio, LLC

MuttReason

05 Aug 2022

selig wrote:
05 Aug 2022

Interesting, hate those random crashes that you can't even work around!
I'm biased towards PT as a (very) long time user. At the most basic level the PT approach works better for me. Things like time based selection (reason is more object based), ability to "do to all" or "do to selected" with just about every command, the two window approach, the way it handles punching in/out, automation, audio routing, sends/auxes, markers, multi-tool (big one), tight hardware integration (important mainly when tracking audio, but also for MIDI), Edit/mix groups, cue mixes, and some Luna specific features like total undo history, bookmarks/versions/autosave, Unison preamps, tracking with plugins if needed, dedicated tape emulation slot built in (been hopping for this in Reason for years), etc. There's probably stuff I'm forgetting, but you get the idea.
So it's probably as much my bias as an ex PT user as it is my studio engineering background that leans me towards Luna, while my electronic musician history (which is longer than my engineering history) keeps me tied to Reason!
But first, I would have to buy into the Apollo system before any of this would even be possible, which I'm still investigating.
Thanks for the feedback!
I think if I’d ever got into PT I would probably feel differently about Luna. But for some reason (don’t know why) PT is the one DAW I’ve tried over the years that hasn’t clicked with me. Honestly can’t think why, I know it’s super powerful. The others I’ve used (everything from Cakewalk, Project 5 and Tracktion through Cubase, Logic and now Live… plus of course Reason throughout) has felt right from the outset but not PT. So Luna is at a disadvantage in that sense for me at least even without the random lockups and crashes.

The frustrating thing is I really like the UAD platform. Their audio interfaces are great and the Console plus unison plugin combination for tracking instruments (mostly bass guitar in my setup) is outstanding.

Maybe I’ll come back to Luna at some point. But for now, Live 11 plus hardware gear and Reason RRP - and Reason 12 for my travelling setup - is pretty awesome. We really are spoiled for choice these days.

• Information