Reason Financials 2021

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

16 Aug 2022

People still use Reaper? :puf_bigsmile: :lol: jk

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Threpus

16 Aug 2022

There is a lot to be said for an inexpensive yet powerful DAW, even if you are required to find your instruments elsewhere. Use all the money you saved to buy a few instruments. You could buy Reaper, Komplete ($399 on sale right now) and a tank of gas for the cost of Reason 12. I enjoy Reason, but I don’t think the instruments included with Reason can match the quality and variety you get in Komplete. Just sayin’.

QVprod

16 Aug 2022

guitfnky wrote:
16 Aug 2022
QVprod wrote:
15 Aug 2022

I think you’re thinking of this from a guitarist angle. In which case you’d be right. But for those of us non guitar people, the sounds have to come from somewhere. That’s why literally every other DAW comes with stock sounds. In this case it would be less useful, particularly for someone who doesn’t yet have a plug-in collection.
I'm thinking of it from the angle of being a musician. if someone wants to make music, there is no excuse not to, period. and you seem to have ignored both the part where I pointed out there are tons of great free VSTs out there, and the part where I suggest if you don't like what it has to offer, don't use it.

but more importantly, the point (as I've stated) is that it's dumb to act like a piece of software is useless for everyone just because it doesn't suit you in particular.
If you’ve ever done the free VST hunt. It’s tedious with a lot of things that aren’t that great. I’ve been down that road. A good selection of stock instruments is just a better starting point in my opinion. Nowhere did I say Reaper is useless for everyone. My whole post was about a specific use case… check the bold in the quote

chimp_spanner

16 Aug 2022

Nonsense, there are TONNES of great free VSTs!

:lol:

mcatalao
Competition Winner

16 Aug 2022

guitfnky wrote:
15 Aug 2022
mcatalao wrote:
15 Aug 2022

0 content, means not even a freaking piano. I am a musician, and i could use reaper as a midi recorder with my keyboards, but heck, not everyone has an arsenal of sounds outside the box, and Reaper is the exception to the norm. Every daw has content so that it can get you going from Reason, to cubase, Ableton, and so on. The last time i opened reaper? You spend 60 usd on a DAW and if you're starting, 0 content for composing.
cool. it’s a DAW. if you don’t like it, use another. just because you feel like you need a bunch of curated patches or some nonsense doesn’t make it any less useful. you’d know that if you’d—you know—used it.
Look man this is borderline offensive and you're simply defending what's indefensable.

I use reaper as a live recording daw, and I know my way on it and 3 more daws because they are freaking tools.

But you need something to work on it (even the freaking location recording example needs to be mixed and for me reaplugs never cut it), you need to record into it and you need content to make music on it. We're musicians but we use stuff to make music and reaper doesn't even have the basic stuff. You buy the cheapest intro version of Cubase and it has a sampler (with pianos, guitars, drumkit and so on) and a synth. Something to get you going.

You can't say that of reaper. Yes it's great as a daw but it its rawest sense and almost nobody works like that anymore since 97 (been there, my first productions were recorded in cubasis, with a roland xp10, sm57's and a guillemot isis 8 chann card - chiet I think I've recorded stuff with a Soundblaster awe 64).

I have to say I'm even getting some trouble finding were this "we're musicians" talk is coming and I'm remembering a phrase you said before about "curated patches". What patches? What curation?

You don't have even a sampler or a synth to create your own patches but for fuck sake what makes you a musician is not that you can make a patch in a synth and surely not having to search the internet for a free good freaking synth and then create the sounds to then create the song. Everything you said till now makes 0 sense for a defense of something that doesn't need.

This is the reality. Reason, Cubase, studio one, ableton, etc) allow you to do stuff from ground 0. Reaper doesn't (unless you're strictly recording). Reaper is lightweight and cheap but really compare it to other daws and is incomplete. Not useless (I never said that). But incomplete.

This thread is a waste of time.

Done talking.

EnochLight

16 Aug 2022

Threpus wrote:
16 Aug 2022
I don’t think the instruments included with Reason can match the quality and variety you get in Komplete. Just sayin’.
Eh... that's a matter of personal opinion, IMHO. :lol: :clap:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

guitfnky

16 Aug 2022

mcatalao wrote:
16 Aug 2022
guitfnky wrote:
15 Aug 2022

cool. it’s a DAW. if you don’t like it, use another. just because you feel like you need a bunch of curated patches or some nonsense doesn’t make it any less useful. you’d know that if you’d—you know—used it.
okay man. 75% of what you said is either incorrect, or misunderstood, but yes, let’s leave it alone.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

guitfnky

16 Aug 2022

QVprod wrote:
16 Aug 2022
guitfnky wrote:
16 Aug 2022

I'm thinking of it from the angle of being a musician. if someone wants to make music, there is no excuse not to, period. and you seem to have ignored both the part where I pointed out there are tons of great free VSTs out there, and the part where I suggest if you don't like what it has to offer, don't use it.

but more importantly, the point (as I've stated) is that it's dumb to act like a piece of software is useless for everyone just because it doesn't suit you in particular.
If you’ve ever done the free VST hunt. It’s tedious with a lot of things that aren’t that great. I’ve been down that road. A good selection of stock instruments is just a better starting point in my opinion. Nowhere did I say Reaper is useless for everyone. My whole post was about a specific use case… check the bold in the quote
I was responding to someone else, then you insinuated yourself into that discussion (which is totally fine, of course), but then you accuse me of accusing you of what I was accusing them of….can’t freaking win. 😅
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Yonatan

16 Aug 2022

Both vinyl and cassette have made some comeback and CD is rumoured to also get a revival, and probably minidisc, who knows. Reason graphic virtual gear in the rack and a mixer, dont throw away just because there is a flat trend at moment.
I would not mind a flatter version as an option, to minimize the computer workload and/or make easier navigation on an ipad or so. But Reason has a unique style and nothing to be ashamed of. Not all are flat earthers that makes music.
For me, Reason is inspiring, just make what it is even better and more streamlined in the workflow and adjust and add some new ways to work. Some kind of better live looping arrangement workflow in sequencer is needed, as mentioned, develop Blocks further etc. Reason has so great potential to be the best experience out there for creatives.

kitekrazy

17 Aug 2022

QVprod wrote:
16 Aug 2022
guitfnky wrote:
16 Aug 2022

I don;t even bother with free stuff. I have way too much stuff.

jlgrimes

18 Aug 2022

kitekrazy wrote:
17 Aug 2022
QVprod wrote:
16 Aug 2022

Times are a bit different now in the free department vs 10 years ago.

There are more high quality free stuff out now. Some software even rivals paid stuff. Some plugins do have me question the need of a paid version.

Then for a little bit of money under $100, there are alot of great VSTS now.

Alot of YouTube videos go over these synths and they are top notch stuff I wouldn't feel ashamed of using in a production.

Then if you use older VSTs, Reaper is the perfect DAW as it doesn't require a wrapper for 32 bit VSTis. And while free VSTS are hit and miss, there are a few old gems out there.

xylyx

18 Aug 2022

jlgrimes wrote:
18 Aug 2022

Then if you use older VSTs, Reaper is the perfect DAW as it doesn't require a wrapper for 32 bit VSTis. And while free VSTS are hit and miss, there are a few old gems out there.
Bitwig doesn't require a wrapper either...

QVprod

18 Aug 2022

jlgrimes wrote:
18 Aug 2022
kitekrazy wrote:
17 Aug 2022

Times are a bit different now in the free department vs 10 years ago.

There are more high quality free stuff out now. Some software even rivals paid stuff. Some plugins do have me question the need of a paid version.

Then for a little bit of money under $100, there are alot of great VSTS now.

Alot of YouTube videos go over these synths and they are top notch stuff I wouldn't feel ashamed of using in a production.

The issue isn't so much that there aren't any good free ones, but rather the process of looking for the good ones can be tedious. Youtube definitely helps, but it also depends on what you're looking for and what those YouTubers' standards are. If someone absolutely can't afford anything but Reaper, then do what's necessary, but where possible, I think there are better options as starting points for someone who doesn't already have a collection of plugins or aren't primarily recording audio.

crimsonwarlock

18 Aug 2022

QVprod wrote:
18 Aug 2022
The issue isn't so much that there aren't any good free ones, but rather the process of looking for the good ones can be tedious. Youtube definitely helps, but it also depends on what you're looking for and what those YouTubers' standards are.
Asking what are the best free VST instruments on any musicians forum will get you pointers to the obvious ones within one reply :puf_bigsmile: :thumbup:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

QVprod

18 Aug 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
18 Aug 2022
QVprod wrote:
18 Aug 2022
The issue isn't so much that there aren't any good free ones, but rather the process of looking for the good ones can be tedious. Youtube definitely helps, but it also depends on what you're looking for and what those YouTubers' standards are.
Asking what are the best free VST instruments on any musicians forum will get you pointers to the obvious ones within one reply :puf_bigsmile: :thumbup:
In my own experience, I've been dissatisfied by some of those forum searches. Some things that are well spoken of are good for a free option but not all that good objectively. Synths are a bit easier to find good options for. There's stuff like Vital now that raises the bar a bit there, but if you happen to need any organic/real type instruments, those are still very much lacking in quality in the free department.

Whereas, Id say Reason, Studio One, and Logic provide a fairy good balance of everything as a starting point to not necessarily need to search for anything else for a while.

EnochLight

18 Aug 2022

Well, it's been 9 pages and all of our armchair CEO's :lol: have had pretty much all they can say about this (and the topic is wandering), so locking this for now.

• Information