[solved] Reason 12 demo on mac mini sounds shallow

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ReasonOCD
Banned user
Posts: 34
Joined: 04 Aug 2022

Post 04 Aug 2022

Idk the soundstage sounds weird compared to reason on a windows laptop?

Is it the mac mini soundcard?

Also reason used to be modular now it feels bloated what with the stupid ssl mixer at the top (I can’t delete it)

Lets be honest if anyone writes a track using reason the final mixdown is going to be in a analog studio

Also the drop down menus are all in a different order compared to older versions Reason, it really does slow the process down

Anyone think the same

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7823
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Useless Moderator

Post 04 Aug 2022

ReasonOCD wrote:
04 Aug 2022
Also reason used to be modular now it feels bloated what with the stupid ssl mixer at the top (I can’t delete it)

Lets be honest if anyone writes a track using reason the final mixdown is going to be in a analog studio

Anyone think the same
No.

:lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
killhamster
Posts: 112
Joined: 02 Aug 2019
Location: Portland, OR

Post 04 Aug 2022

Which version are you coming from? I remember when the SSL mixer was new and it was exciting to have it instead of clunkily chaining the other mixers together when I exceeded 14 instruments. As for the menus, I've been upgrading since 2.5 so any changes were pretty gradual and I mostly use keyboard shortcuts anyway. Learn these and you'll speed up significantly.
ReasonOCD wrote:
04 Aug 2022
Lets be honest if anyone writes a track using reason the final mixdown is going to be in a analog studio
No way, I've done all my mixing in Reason for ages and have the workflow down. I can understand it might be appealing for some folks to use hardware but Rearons's mixer and tools have served my needs thus far. Take some time to learn all the new stuff and you might find it's not so bad.

ReasonOCD
Banned user
Posts: 34
Joined: 04 Aug 2022

Post 04 Aug 2022

EnochLight wrote:
04 Aug 2022
ReasonOCD wrote:
04 Aug 2022
Also reason used to be modular now it feels bloated what with the stupid ssl mixer at the top (I can’t delete it)

Lets be honest if anyone writes a track using reason the final mixdown is going to be in a analog studio

Anyone think the same
No.

:lol:
Hi,

Hey i used to use Reason 4 years ago back then i could rewire each channel into Ableton and throw a bunch of waves plugins over it

This was using a dell duel core with 4GB ram didn’t glitch or crash srs

Now Reason struggles standalone with a full track 18ch approx on a i5 7200u 2.5ghz 8GB ram just lol at technology

The problem is now Reasons a bloated mess of a program, all the simplicity gone

Hope the propellerhead programmers read this srs

And what happened to balance? It looks like that robot from interstellar the movie lol

I want a dedicated laptop reason workstation that incorporates recycle, audio editor, audio soundcard, midi keyboard that double as a qwerty its 2020 god dammit, build it

ReasonOCD
Banned user
Posts: 34
Joined: 04 Aug 2022

Post 04 Aug 2022

killhamster wrote:
04 Aug 2022
Which version are you coming from? I remember when the SSL mixer was new and it was exciting to have it instead of clunkily chaining the other mixers together when I exceeded 14 instruments. As for the menus, I've been upgrading since 2.5 so any changes were pretty gradual and I mostly use keyboard shortcuts anyway. Learn these and you'll speed up significantly.
ReasonOCD wrote:
04 Aug 2022
Lets be honest if anyone writes a track using reason the final mixdown is going to be in a analog studio
No way, I've done all my mixing in Reason for ages and have the workflow down. I can understand it might be appealing for some folks to use hardware but Rearons's mixer and tools have served my needs thus far. Take some time to learn all the new stuff and you might find it's not so bad.

I’ve been wanting to upgrade for years but was waiting to buy a mac thinking it would be a better experience, how wrong i was

The initial soundstage is all i can describe as shallow sounding using the demo on my 2020 mac mini ? Maybe its the mac soundcard idk

Is there any way of purchasing / upgrading to older versions of Reason?

When was the audio editor implemented perhaps version 6.5 or 7 ?

Thanks

User avatar
killhamster
Posts: 112
Joined: 02 Aug 2019
Location: Portland, OR

Post 04 Aug 2022

ReasonOCD wrote:
04 Aug 2022
Now Reason struggles standalone with a full track 18ch approx on a i5 7200u 2.5ghz 8GB ram just lol at technology
I mean this processor is a little old now. Not ancient, but def not new enough for software released in 2021/2022. Last year I upgraded my PC with a new motherboard, 16GB of RAM (I still want more even though this has proven to be plenty so far), and a Ryzen 7 3700x. Hasn't given me a problem since. Before it was struggling to run busy projects even in Reason 10.

I have a MacBook from 2018 that can manage but I have to keep the buffer size at max. On my PC it's usually at 64 or 128 and it works perfectly.

ReasonOCD
Banned user
Posts: 34
Joined: 04 Aug 2022

Post 04 Aug 2022

killhamster wrote:
04 Aug 2022
ReasonOCD wrote:
04 Aug 2022
Now Reason struggles standalone with a full track 18ch approx on a i5 7200u 2.5ghz 8GB ram just lol at technology
I mean this processor is a little old now. Not ancient, but def not new enough for software released in 2021/2022. Last year I upgraded my PC with a new motherboard, 16GB of RAM (I still want more even though this has proven to be plenty so far), and a Ryzen 7 3700x. Hasn't given me a problem since. Before it was struggling to run busy projects even in Reason 10.

I have a MacBook from 2018 that can manage but I have to keep the buffer size at max. On my PC it's usually at 64 or 128 and it works perfectly.
what audio interface are you using on windows? i'm worried about stable drivers tbh really cba to be trawling websites problem solving

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7823
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Useless Moderator

Post 04 Aug 2022

ReasonOCD wrote:
04 Aug 2022
Hi,

Hey i used to use Reason 4 years ago back then i could rewire each channel into Ableton and throw a bunch of waves plugins over it

This was using a dell duel core with 4GB ram didn’t glitch or crash srs

Now Reason struggles standalone with a full track 18ch approx on a i5 7200u 2.5ghz 8GB ram just lol at technology

The problem is now Reasons a bloated mess of a program, all the simplicity gone

Hope the propellerhead programmers read this srs

And what happened to balance? It looks like that robot from interstellar the movie lol

I want a dedicated laptop reason workstation that incorporates recycle, audio editor, audio soundcard, midi keyboard that double as a qwerty its 2020 god dammit, build it
That's an awesome story.

I use Ableton Live as well, and I actually prefer using Reason as a Rack Plugin as it is now. ReWire was always stupidly clunky and a beyotch to work with - I hated it. Why should I essentially have to run 2 DAW at the same time just to use it? Glad they got rid of it.

I've been using Reason on the same old-ass (almost 11 years old) PC that I did back in 2012, and Reason 12.2.7d82 works just fine on my studio PC. At launch there were definitely some performance issues, though, but Reason Studios has made a lot of progress since then. Not sure why you're having so many issues, but it might be because your CPU is painfully dated - even compared to mine (see the attached chart).

I loved Balance - was one of my favorite audio interfaces of all time. Until I got an RME Babyface Pro. :lol:



ooooof.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 9833
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 04 Aug 2022

What are you listening out of? The mac mini should not be your issue.

It sounds like you just made several changes recently upgrading from a much older version of Reason to be complaining about the SSL mixer that has been there for 12 years or so.

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 3043
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 04 Aug 2022

F5, f6 and f7 to switch between rack, sequencer and mixer.
The latest release:

User avatar
Timmy Crowne
Posts: 341
Joined: 06 Apr 2017
Location: California, United States

Post 04 Aug 2022

I could tell you there's no difference, but I think each user has to be content that the software isn't doing anything to ruin their sound. I suggest it would be a good idea to run a null test on your side to allay any concerns you have about the sonic quality. Reproduce the same exact mix in both systems (In Reason 12 you still have access to all the old rack devices), export both mix-downs into a software you trust (even simple software like Audacity would work for this), normalize them, then reverse the polarity of one of the files. If you get silence, there can be no difference in the processing between Reason versions. I hope this helps.

ReasonOCD
Banned user
Posts: 34
Joined: 04 Aug 2022

Post 04 Aug 2022

joeyluck wrote:
04 Aug 2022
What are you listening out of? The mac mini should not be your issue.

It sounds like you just made several changes recently upgrading from a much older version of Reason to be complaining about the SSL mixer that has been there for 12 years or so.

it's a blatant night & day issue, I would love to purchase the latest Reason but its just not modular anymore and the sound on mac is subpar maybe i need an audio interface idk

lets be realistic the SSL emulator is nowhere near the real thing thus i shouldn't have to see it constantly on the screen it's using valuable screen real estate, Reason is pretty much a scratch pad nobody should be mastering or even stem mixing down in reason

also the duel aspect view of Reason now is comical how it twitches slightly, I just can't get along with it

its lost its subtleness

that said i'm massively invested in it, i couldn't learn another daw at this point

ReasonOCD
Banned user
Posts: 34
Joined: 04 Aug 2022

Post 04 Aug 2022

Timmy Crowne wrote:
04 Aug 2022
I could tell you there's no difference, but I think each user has to be content that the software isn't doing anything to ruin their sound. I suggest it would be a good idea to run a null test on your side to allay any concerns you have about the sonic quality. Reproduce the same exact mix in both systems (In Reason 12 you still have access to all the old rack devices), export both mix-downs into a software you trust (even simple software like Audacity would work for this), normalize them, then reverse the polarity of one of the files. If you get silence, there can be no difference in the processing between Reason versions. I hope this helps.

I'm not saying its going to ruin the sound but theres a definite sound engine difference that i can't get along with its like its lost all its depth from the offset

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 3043
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 04 Aug 2022

Read my comment. You don't need to see it all the time. Read.
The latest release:

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7823
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Useless Moderator

Post 04 Aug 2022

ReasonOCD wrote:
04 Aug 2022
lets be realistic the SSL emulator is nowhere near the real thing thus i shouldn't have to see it constantly on the screen it's using valuable screen real estate
You've used Reason for how many years, yet you can't hit F5 to hide the entire mixer you seem so vehemently opposed to? Ok. Sure. :lol:
ReasonOCD wrote:
04 Aug 2022
Reason is pretty much a scratch pad nobody should be mastering or even stem mixing down in reason
LMAO!!! So, you created a new forum profile here just to...? Uh huh. No, really - please continue... :shock: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ReasonOCD
Banned user
Posts: 34
Joined: 04 Aug 2022

Post 04 Aug 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
04 Aug 2022
Read my comment. You don't need to see it all the time. Read.

Thanks but i don't use the version with the SSL because of the initial sound issue,

I'm feeling like this forums participants become very aggressive if someone expresses their opinion?

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 3043
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 04 Aug 2022

You're not making any sense.
The latest release:

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7823
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Useless Moderator

Post 04 Aug 2022

ReasonOCD wrote:
04 Aug 2022
Thanks but i don't use the version with the SSL because of the initial sound issue,

I'm feeling like this forums participants become very aggressive if someone expresses their opinion?
Intent wasn't to sound "very aggressive", so apologies if it came off that way. It's just that we rarely see new members here who just come to complain about items which either 1. have easy solutions, or 2. we can't find any evidence of. This is a forum, so you're going to have dissent and people who disagree with you. Vehemently, sometimes. But just as long as there is no name-calling and people are remaining respectful, then go for it.

I mean, I disagree with most of your assessment on Reason so far. It's cool. People disagree. If you came seeking an echo chamber, then stick to Twitter or Facebook.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
killhamster
Posts: 112
Joined: 02 Aug 2019
Location: Portland, OR

Post 04 Aug 2022

ReasonOCD wrote:
04 Aug 2022
what audio interface are you using on windows? i'm worried about stable drivers tbh really cba to be trawling websites problem solving
Just using a Scarlett 2i2 with provided drivers. On the Mac it's just using the built-in soundcard. AFAICT I get the same sound out of both.
ReasonOCD wrote:
04 Aug 2022
Reason is pretty much a scratch pad nobody should be mastering or even stem mixing down in reason
lol I beg to differ. It's proven more than capable for me, and for plenty of others.

ReasonOCD
Banned user
Posts: 34
Joined: 04 Aug 2022

Post 04 Aug 2022

killhamster wrote:
04 Aug 2022
ReasonOCD wrote:
04 Aug 2022
what audio interface are you using on windows? i'm worried about stable drivers tbh really cba to be trawling websites problem solving
Just using a Scarlett 2i2 with provided drivers. On the Mac it's just using the built-in soundcard. AFAICT I get the same sound out of both.
ReasonOCD wrote:
04 Aug 2022
Reason is pretty much a scratch pad nobody should be mastering or even stem mixing down in reason
lol I beg to differ. It's proven more than capable for me, and for plenty of others.
Thanks, pirate studios in UK supplies a Clarett 4pre & HS8 so hopefully i can get a nice translation from my mixes

Analog is a massive upgrade over ITB, that's just how it is money wins everytime

not saying reason isn't capable but your going to need vast knowledge and top notch monitoring to get a professional sounding mix

ReasonOCD
Banned user
Posts: 34
Joined: 04 Aug 2022

Post 04 Aug 2022

EnochLight wrote:
04 Aug 2022
ReasonOCD wrote:
04 Aug 2022
Thanks but i don't use the version with the SSL because of the initial sound issue,

I'm feeling like this forums participants become very aggressive if someone expresses their opinion?
Intent wasn't to sound "very aggressive", so apologies if it came off that way. It's just that we rarely see new members here who just come to complain about items which either 1. have easy solutions, or 2. we can't find any evidence of. This is a forum, so you're going to have dissent and people who disagree with you. Vehemently, sometimes. But just as long as there is no name-calling and people are remaining respectful, then go for it.

I mean, I disagree with most of your assessment on Reason so far. It's cool. People disagree. If you came seeking an echo chamber, then stick to Twitter or Facebook.
I'd love to hear your music with setup you have listed do you have anything online?

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7823
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Useless Moderator

Post 04 Aug 2022

ReasonOCD wrote:
04 Aug 2022
I'd love to hear your music with setup you have listed do you have anything online?
That was random. :lol: You first. ;) :thumbup:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 3290
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 04 Aug 2022

ReasonOCD wrote:
04 Aug 2022
Thanks, pirate studios in UK supplies a Clarett 4pre & HS8 so hopefully i can get a nice translation from my mixes

Analog is a massive upgrade over ITB, that's just how it is money wins everytime

not saying reason isn't capable but your going to need vast knowledge and top notch monitoring to get a professional sounding mix
I've had no issues with the Clarett 4pre's at Pirate Studios (and I've tried with various DAWs).

I also get the exact same sound from every DAW.

Are you using the ASIO drivers? Or the same samplerate?
---

ReasonOCD
Banned user
Posts: 34
Joined: 04 Aug 2022

Post 04 Aug 2022

EnochLight wrote:
04 Aug 2022
ReasonOCD wrote:
04 Aug 2022
I'd love to hear your music with setup you have listed do you have anything online?
That was random. :lol: You first. ;) :thumbup:
I already have in the music forum

ReasonOCD
Banned user
Posts: 34
Joined: 04 Aug 2022

Post 04 Aug 2022

avasopht wrote:
04 Aug 2022
ReasonOCD wrote:
04 Aug 2022
Thanks, pirate studios in UK supplies a Clarett 4pre & HS8 so hopefully i can get a nice translation from my mixes

Analog is a massive upgrade over ITB, that's just how it is money wins everytime

not saying reason isn't capable but your going to need vast knowledge and top notch monitoring to get a professional sounding mix
I've had no issues with the Clarett 4pre's at Pirate Studios (and I've tried with various DAWs).

I also get the exact same sound from every DAW.

Are you using the ASIO drivers? Or the same samplerate?

I use ASIO4ALL really not wanting to invest unless i write something worthwhile then the plan was to book a studio or paid professional engineer to make it better - for lack of a better term

I'm not a professional musician or engineer but do know what sounds good & bad, I also have major connections if i make anything decent to hopefully get signed

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], ksniod and 2 guests