Reason real life limitations.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
selig
RE Developer

Post 29 Jul 2022

Jac459 wrote:
28 Jul 2022
selig wrote:
28 Jul 2022
Came to point out Reason could do all of this (except MPE support of course) since BEFORE Bitwig even EXISTED.
As a side note, Reason could also do the chord pitch bend thing, though not at all elegantly BUT DOABLE, long before MPE was available. :)
I am curious on the pitch bend for chord, would you mind sharing the trick?

Reason is indeed an awesome product with an awesome ecosystem (on which you actively contribute and thanks for that). And even now I still discover new features (including with this post).
I am just thinking that it can also be a great combo with other products like bitwig which are somehow less rich but also more agile on new standard market features.
I’d do what you said originally, one note per instrument separated either via Distributer or CV to MIDI Player. It will NOT be as elegant as if you had an MPE controller, but certainly almost as easy as drawing it in manually with an MPE capable sequencer. The main difference would be using multiple synths vs one MPE enabled synth, so it has more to do with the synth and controller being MPE than the DAW IMO…
Selig Audio, LLC

Jac459

Post 29 Jul 2022

selig wrote:
29 Jul 2022

I’d do what you said originally, one note per instrument separated either via Distributer or CV to MIDI Player. It will NOT be as elegant as if you had an MPE controller, but certainly almost as easy as drawing it in manually with an MPE capable sequencer. The main difference would be using multiple synths vs one MPE enabled synth, so it has more to do with the synth and controller being MPE than the DAW IMO…
Gotcha. If you are playing with some parameters of the synth it can become a bit troublesome to do on all in sync but should be ok :-).

crimsonwarlock

Post 29 Jul 2022

Jac459 wrote:
29 Jul 2022
Gotcha. If you are playing with some parameters of the synth it can become a bit troublesome to do on all in sync but should be ok :-).
You do know you can use a combinator for that, right?

Jac459

Post 29 Jul 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
29 Jul 2022

You do know you can use a combinator for that, right?
I do 😊.
But still, I guess it only save time if I reuse same synths and same parameters after.

By the way, combinator is one of the awesomeness of reason that is perfectly usable in reason as a rack.

xbitz

Post 31 Jul 2022

RobC wrote:
28 Jul 2022
crimsonwarlock wrote:
28 Jul 2022

This one gets overlooked a lot, and it's free: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... generator/
Lol, I overlooked it, too, sadly, because it's called envelope generator and not envelope follower.

But does it beat MClass Compressor and Pulverizer's envelope follower then?

If I understand correctly, an envelope follower takes audio, smoothens/simplifies it (both with attack and release and maybe a knee shaping), then turns it to CV data?
Mace also has a gain reduction CV outs https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ompressor/ if you miss some visual feedback
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

Jac459

Post 31 Jul 2022

xbitz wrote:
31 Jul 2022
Mace also has a gain reduction CV outs https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ompressor/ if you miss some visual feedback
Looks pretty awesome. And it kind of has visual feedback which is good for the mastering noob I am.

selig
RE Developer

Post 31 Jul 2022

xbitz wrote:
31 Jul 2022
RobC wrote:
28 Jul 2022

Lol, I overlooked it, too, sadly, because it's called envelope generator and not envelope follower.

But does it beat MClass Compressor and Pulverizer's envelope follower then?

If I understand correctly, an envelope follower takes audio, smoothens/simplifies it (both with attack and release and maybe a knee shaping), then turns it to CV data?
I still prefer the graphics in Sweepers Follower, still the best envelope follower I’ve found for Reason (so far)!
Selig Audio, LLC

Jac459

Post 01 Aug 2022

selig wrote:
31 Jul 2022

I still prefer the graphics in Sweepers Follower, still the best envelope follower I’ve found for Reason (so far)!
Forgot to test sweepers this week-end, I'll do this week...

ReasonOCD
Banned user

Post 05 Aug 2022

Arrant wrote:
29 Jul 2022
Actual Reason real life limitations:
- No VST3
- No VST MIDI out
- No track folders
- No markers
- No video support
The No markers is what kills reason for me and feel its not worth upgrading