[SOLVED] Trouble Authorizing Computer (Windows 11)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
challism

14 Jul 2022

SOLVED! Thanks to everyone for helping out.
Original post:
I just got a new computer and decided to authorize it. I don't think I've got another computer authorized but I don't see any way to authorize this one. I've done this before in the past but can't seem to do it now. Am I missing something obvious here?

Windows 11

Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Jul 2022

challism wrote:
14 Jul 2022
I just got a new computer and decided to authorize it. I don't think I've got another computer authorized but I don't see any way to authorize this one. I've done this before in the past but can't seem to do it now. Am I missing something obvious here?

Windows 11

Why don’t you wait like it says and see if Authorizer opens. Then if it doesn’t then click the orange button. Don’t know what you’re doing with the exe file.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

14 Jul 2022

I've tried clicking on the popup, clicking on the orange button, and not clicking on anything. In the second attempt in the video, I didn't click anything. Authorizer was already running and the RS website could see it. No matter what I try, it just loads that same page showing no ignition and no balance found. It should show a computer found, though. Or it just stays on that first page with the orange button waiting for Authorizer to start (with the buffering circle spinning forever).

Tomorrow I'm going to try to authorize my Windows 10 computer and see if it works. Then I'll try this computer again with a different browser.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Jul 2022

challism wrote:
14 Jul 2022
I've tried clicking on the popup, clicking on the orange button, and not clicking on anything. In the second attempt in the video, I didn't click anything. Authorizer was already running and the RS website could see it. No matter what I try, it just loads that same page showing no ignition and no balance found. It should show a computer found, though. Or it just stays on that first page with the orange button waiting for Authorizer to start (with the buffering circle spinning forever).

Tomorrow I'm going to try to authorize my Windows 10 computer and see if it works. Then I'll try this computer again with a different browser.
You’re sure you didn’t authorize your old PC?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

rgdaniel

14 Jul 2022

What browser are you using. I usually have to flip over to Chrome to do fancy stuff with RS... Firefox just sits there sulking...

challism

14 Jul 2022

MrFigg wrote:
14 Jul 2022
challism wrote:
14 Jul 2022

If I remember correctly, my RS account page would tell me if it a computer were authorized. It would have an icon of a computer with the computer name. I started my other computer yesterday before trying to authorize this one - just to check that it wasn't authorized, and it wasn't. And I think that "authorize" button would be gone or different.
rgdaniel wrote:
14 Jul 2022
What browser are you using. I usually have to flip over to Chrome to do fancy stuff with RS... Firefox just sits there sulking...
I'm using Chrome.

moofi

15 Jul 2022

Got the same issue. Had a computer offline authorised and performed a clean install because windows wouldn´t boot anymore (was the RAM after all). When trying to authorise again, it showed the same screen like your´s. Already contacted support. Created a CMDust logfile and sent it. Something´s obviously wrong with the codemeter stuff installation (CM container) and a fresh install wouldn´t help either. Support directed me to contact WIBU about it. Haven´t managed to write them yet.
The former offline authorisation was done with an authoriser version from around 2014.

EDIT: I´m on Windows 10 btw
challism wrote:
14 Jul 2022
MrFigg wrote:
14 Jul 2022

If I remember correctly, my RS account page would tell me if it a computer were authorized. It would have an icon of a computer with the computer name. I started my other computer yesterday before trying to authorize this one - just to check that it wasn't authorized, and it wasn't. And I think that "authorize" button would be gone or different.
rgdaniel wrote:
14 Jul 2022
I'm using Chrome.

Hans_47

16 Jul 2022

moofi wrote:
15 Jul 2022
Got the same issue. Had a computer offline authorised and performed a clean install because windows wouldn´t boot anymore (was the RAM after all). When trying to authorise again, it showed the same screen like your´s. Already contacted support. Created a CMDust logfile and sent it. Something´s obviously wrong with the codemeter stuff installation (CM container) and a fresh install wouldn´t help either. Support directed me to contact WIBU about it. Haven´t managed to write them yet.
The former offline authorisation was done with an authoriser version from around 2014.

I can confirm the same issue -not bringt able to authorize my computer anymore- after reinstalling Windows 10. The reported ticket to RS is open for 5 months now. Was in contact with WIBU too, they referred back to Reason Studios.

I shall try authorizing with Chrome tomorrow as suggested in this thread. I am using Firefox for years thought and had never issues...

moofi

16 Jul 2022

Hmmm, that´s strange. Did you aswell sent a CMDust logfile to WiBU?
Asking because like said, support noticed something being faulty in the codemeter container.
Hans_47 wrote:
16 Jul 2022
moofi wrote:
15 Jul 2022

I can confirm the same issue -not bringt able to authorize my computer anymore- after reinstalling Windows 10. The reported ticket to RS is open for 5 months now. Was in contact with WIBU too, they referred back to Reason Studios.

I shall try authorizing with Chrome tomorrow as suggested in this thread. I am using Firefox for years thought and had never issues...

Hans_47

17 Jul 2022

I did send a diagnosis file to RS support (don't remember what it was exactly - RS asked for it), also got it touch with Wibu got reply that it is with RS, got suggestions how this should/could be potentially solved by RS, sent Wibu's reply to RS but no response from them. That is now 5 months back.
I can use Reason just with online connection...

P.S. had no time to test with Chrome yet.

moofi

17 Jul 2022

Allight, thank you. guess I´m gonna write WIBU aswell, just to follow the procedure before getting back to support.

I really don´t think it´s browerrelated. Tested on Firefox, Edge, Opera. Especially because support says there is something wrong with the CM Container.
Hans_47 wrote:
17 Jul 2022
I did send a diagnosis file to RS support (don't remember what it was exactly - RS asked for it), also got it touch with Wibu got reply that it is with RS, got suggestions how this should/could be potentially solved by RS, sent Wibu's reply to RS but no response from them. That is now 5 months back.
I can use Reason just with online connection...

P.S. had no time to test with Chrome yet.

Hans_47

18 Jul 2022

Just tried with Chrome, but as you expected the Authorization did not work. We'll have to wait for RS...

moofi

18 Jul 2022

Still it´s funny them not having replied yet and given the same answer again, obviously not taking WIBU´s reply into account.
Possibly write again?
Hans_47 wrote:
18 Jul 2022
Just tried with Chrome, but as you expected the Authorization did not work. We'll have to wait for RS...

challism

18 Jul 2022

I was able to authorize my 2nd computer over the weekend, no problem. Also able to deauthorize it. Not sure that it matters, but it's Win10.

This new computer is still unable to even be seen in the RS authorization page (running Win11, video shown at the start of this thread).

What's frustrating is the old computer is a desktop and I don't really need it to be authorized, as I always have Internet access at home. But my new computer is a laptop, and I might not always have Internet access.. so I need to authorize it. I guess I could use my dongle, but I'd rather not carry that around.

zumBeispiel

22 Jul 2022

Hi Challism,
I don't know if this could be of any importance but...

Here in RS site, there is the 7.10 version of Codemeter (2020-09):
https://www.reasonstudios.com/download-codemeter

Here instead in Wibu site, it can be loaded the 7.40 version (2022-04):
https://www.wibu.com/support/user/user-software.html

moofi

22 Jul 2022

What version of Codemeter and Authoriser have you got installed on the Computer the offline authorisation is working with?

Got the latest ones, zum Beispiel mentioned, installed.
challism wrote:
18 Jul 2022
I was able to authorize my 2nd computer over the weekend, no problem. Also able to deauthorize it. Not sure that it matters, but it's Win10.

This new computer is still unable to even be seen in the RS authorization page (running Win11, video shown at the start of this thread).

What's frustrating is the old computer is a desktop and I don't really need it to be authorized, as I always have Internet access at home. But my new computer is a laptop, and I might not always have Internet access.. so I need to authorize it. I guess I could use my dongle, but I'd rather not carry that around.

moofi

23 Jul 2022

WORKING NOW, at least here :-) Assembled a new computer and freshly installed Codemeter 7.4 directly from WIBU. The default installation options exclude remote-acess and networkserver. Though from the description they didn´t sound like they would be relevant for the case (had already read them before when trying to authorise the previous machine), after including these in the installationoptions I could finally label the previous computer lost because I did, like mentioned, a clean rescue install and could simply authorise the new computer afterwards.

I couldn´t crosscheck it yet, then I´m quite sure it´s the networkserver/remote access options being excluded from Codemeter´s default installer options, hindering a proper communication between Propellerheads and Codemeter on the computer if not actively activated.

Gonna write to Propellerheads and WIBU once someone can confirm it´s the solution.

moofi

25 Jul 2022

So, did it work for anyone else with the options checked now?

Hans_47

25 Jul 2022

Hi, can't help at the moment. Not at my PC but will try later this week.

moofi

25 Jul 2022

Allight, thank you :-)
Hans_47 wrote:
25 Jul 2022
Hi, can't help at the moment. Not at my PC but will try later this week.

dvdrtldg

26 Jul 2022

I update my (Mac) laptop every year, and every single year this happens. I deauthorize the old computer, then can't authorize the new one. I get in touch with Reason support, we go back and forth a bit with have-you-tried-this and have-you-tried-that, then eventually they just sort of fix it at their end. Then we go through it all again the following year. Drives me crazy

Hans_47

26 Jul 2022

I got it working too. Thank you moofi, your report was quite useful.
Running Win10 my sequence of actions were:

1) Deinstalled Codemeter (had version 7.10a installed)
2) Copied the remaining Codemeter files from "c:\ProgramData\Codemeter" to my Desktop (I guess just CmAct is important)
3) Rebooted the system
4) Installed the most recent Codemeter 7.40b from "https://www.wibu.com/de/support/anwende ... tware.html" with all "options" enabled during the install (as moofi explained)
5) Copied all files inside "CmAct" from the backuped Codemeter directory to "c:\ProgramData\Codemeter\CmAct"
6) Rebooted the system
7) Suddenly I had 2 CmContainers connected - shown in the taskbar icon of Codemeter - and one of the container was named "Propellerhead Software Virtial Ignition Key" which was not visible for all the time I had trouble with the authorization
8) Opened my account with Reason Studios and started Authorizer - my PC was not shown on the authorization page
9) Started Reason DAW and push botton "Other" which opened "https://www.reasonstudios.com/authorization?reason" web page and clicked link "Authorize Computer and Keys" which returned to the authorization page where my PC was shown after all
10 Now I could authorize my PC.
11) I recognized the login window now looks different than previously but offline access of DAW now works.

GREAT

Perhaps someone else helps the description of my procedure...

moofi

26 Jul 2022

Glad you got it working. :-)

In addition I simply performed a fresh install. Guess you wouldn´t need step 2 + 5 either way. At least assuming you did it for not having to authorise RE again?
Hans_47 wrote:
26 Jul 2022
I got it working too. Thank you moofi, your report was quite useful.
Running Win10 my sequence of actions were:

1) Deinstalled Codemeter (had version 7.10a installed)
2) Copied the remaining Codemeter files from "c:\ProgramData\Codemeter" to my Desktop (I guess just CmAct is important)
3) Rebooted the system
4) Installed the most recent Codemeter 7.40b from "https://www.wibu.com/de/support/anwende ... tware.html" with all "options" enabled during the install (as moofi explained)
5) Copied all files inside "CmAct" from the backuped Codemeter directory to "c:\ProgramData\Codemeter\CmAct"
6) Rebooted the system
7) Suddenly I had 2 CmContainers connected - shown in the taskbar icon of Codemeter - and one of the container was named "Propellerhead Software Virtial Ignition Key" which was not visible for all the time I had trouble with the authorization
8) Opened my account with Reason Studios and started Authorizer - my PC was not shown on the authorization page
9) Started Reason DAW and push botton "Other" which opened "https://www.reasonstudios.com/authorization?reason" web page and clicked link "Authorize Computer and Keys" which returned to the authorization page where my PC was shown after all
10 Now I could authorize my PC.
11) I recognized the login window now looks different than previously but offline access of DAW now works.

GREAT

Perhaps someone else helps the description of my procedure...

Hans_47

26 Jul 2022

Well 5 months ago, when implementing RS suggestions I made a similar procedure sequence but was obviously not successful. Whether or not step 2 & 5 is needed I cannot say as I have too little knowledge of the works of Codemeter I am afraid. I just did it... :puf_smile: :thumbup:

moofi

26 Jul 2022

At least here it wasn´t, when freshly installing it on a new computer.

Anyway, mainthing is it´s working. :-)
Hans_47 wrote:
26 Jul 2022
Well 5 months ago, when implementing RS suggestions I made a similar procedure sequence but was obviously not successful. Whether or not step 2 & 5 is needed I cannot say as I have too little knowledge of the works of Codemeter I am afraid. I just did it... :puf_smile: :thumbup:

• Information