Clock Sync bug in Matrix to Combinator Sequencer Control

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jmp909

05 Jul 2022

Hi,

I've noticed an issue when using a Matrix *inside* a Combinator connected to the Sequencer Control CV inputs

I've attached an example file with the following combinators

1) Matrix to Monotone: This one is ok, the Matrix is inside the Combinator, but the Matrix CV outs are connected to the Monotone's Sequencer control

2) Matrix inside Combinator to Combinator's Sequencer Control: This one is out of sync, it seems to be delayed by the audio buffer amount (try increasing the buffer to eg 2048 or 4096 and you'll hear it quite obviously)

3) Matrix *outside* Combinator to Combinator's Sequencer Control: This one is ok. Putting the Matrix outside of the Combinator fixes the issue in #2

4) Matrix inside Combinator to Combinator's Sequencer Control (with added Scales/Chords plugin): This one is out of sync as per #2. Try dragging the Matrix out of the combinator and you'll hear it's in Sync again

I'm not quite sure how the Combinator's Sequencer Control routes back to Instruments under the hood, but it seems it's affecting the Matrix somehow

Any suggestions? Is this just a side effect of the Combinator Sequencer Control internal routing or is it a bug?

(I've coloured the tracks Red for bad, and Green for good to clarify which is which)

thanks
J
Attachments
Matrix Combinator Seq Sync Bug.zip
(290.1 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

chimp_spanner

06 Jul 2022

I don’t think this is a bug. If you go into options and disable the audio interface buffer size option does it improve?

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

06 Jul 2022

jmp909 wrote:
05 Jul 2022
Is this just a side effect of the Combinator Sequencer Control internal routing or is it a bug?
It's a side effect. When you use this setup you delay the response of the end path instrument by 1 buffer amount, and thus the larger the buffer, the larger the delay.

The solution is to use smaller buffers, which ultimately in turn requires faster computer hardware.

dioxide

06 Jul 2022

It's also why a MIDI / Player version of the Matrix would be useful.

jmp909

06 Jul 2022

Thanks @Enlightenspeed

Reason have filed a ticket for it now I believe.

selig
RE Developer

07 Jul 2022

chimp_spanner wrote:
06 Jul 2022
I don’t think this is a bug. If you go into options and disable the audio interface buffer size option does it improve?
This would be my guess as well, is necessary when combining multiple devices that must be timing accurate. I ran into this with my multi-tap delay Combinator.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information