CV upscaler in reason stock?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
moofi

06 Jul 2022

Thank you, downloaded and installed. Checking it out eventually. Already got VCV rack and a hardware modular (I currently cannot use because of the living situation), so I at least got a little experience. Any advantages of Voltage Modular compared to VCV rack?

huggermugger wrote:
06 Jul 2022
moofi wrote:
06 Jul 2022
On top bascially any noise source is a sample&hold.
You should grab yourself a copy of Voltage Modular's Nucleus system. It's free, and it includes a S&H module. You can learn more about how to use S&H.

https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/v ... ar-nucleus

moofi

06 Jul 2022

Ah yes, true that. :-)
huggermugger wrote:
06 Jul 2022
[...]
The S&H does have a Trigger input, like any S&H circuit. It's got Trigger, Samp (the signal to be sampled), and the Output. Here it is in action. I'm using LFO1 as the Trig and LFO2 as the sample source (i'm sampling a Triangle wave, so you get a nice pattern. S&H isn't just about random).

If the OP is asking for a Random LFO, there's a ton of them. Even Pulsar. But if the OP is asking for a S&H device (which I think they are), then none of the LFO's you've mentioned are the answer. An LFO or a noise source is not a S&H. A S&H is not the same as a random generator, although it can be used as one.

huggermugger

06 Jul 2022

moofi wrote:
06 Jul 2022
Thank you, downloaded and installed. Checking it out eventually. Already got VCV rack and a hardware modular (I currently cannot use because of the living situation), so I at least got a little experience. Any advantages of Voltage Modular compared to VCV rack?
I'm a longtime VCV Rack user too. At first, I found VM to be too basic, but the number of modules has quickly grown, over 1500 now. They cover a lot of ground, including some very eclectic, specialized functions.

I prefer the VM interface generally, easier to follow and manage. The Variations feature is excellent - you can store eight different presets in one saved patch. I prefer the browser in VM to the one in VCV. The Cabinets feature in VM is also really useful. VM works great as a VST in other DAWs, as well as being able to host VST2, VST3, and AU. And there's a VM module that I don't think exists in VCV, but I use it all the time, called Remote Control. Many modules have controls which have no CV input. Remote Control gives you CV access to those controls (and in fact to pretty well every parameter in a patch, including Performance and Global parameters). It's brilliant.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 10.29.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 10.29.15 AM.png (421.7 KiB) Viewed 2465 times

Chizmata

06 Jul 2022

ok folks i got a lot of input - i'll go woth CV janitor for now and will demo the a-series another time. thanks.

rmtcvolte

06 Jul 2022

Chizmata wrote:
06 Jul 2022
ok folks i got a lot of input - i'll go woth CV janitor for now and will demo the a-series another time. thanks.
Dont forget to demo this:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... volt-sh-1/

moofi

06 Jul 2022

Thank you very much for elaborating on a comparison. Haven´t done much yet with VCV rack, except for patching a patch once. Gonna check on VM. How do they compare soundwise?
huggermugger wrote:
06 Jul 2022
moofi wrote:
06 Jul 2022
I'm a longtime VCV Rack user too. At first, I found VM to be too basic, but the number of modules has quickly grown, over 1500 now. They cover a lot of ground, including some very eclectic, specialized functions.

I prefer the VM interface generally, easier to follow and manage. The Variations feature is excellent - you can store eight different presets in one saved patch. I prefer the browser in VM to the one in VCV. The Cabinets feature in VM is also really useful. VM works great as a VST in other DAWs, as well as being able to host VST2, VST3, and AU. And there's a VM module that I don't think exists in VCV, but I use it all the time, called Remote Control. Many modules have controls which have no CV input. Remote Control gives you CV access to those controls (and in fact to pretty well every parameter in a patch, including Performance and Global parameters). It's brilliant.

moofi

06 Jul 2022

Oh yes, that´s a nice one. Just recently played around with it for the first time understandingly after having bought it when it was being released. The filter is neat aswell. In combination with Lectric Panda´s Scope afterwards it´s a pretty way sculpting CV and also learn the device.
rmtcvolte wrote:
06 Jul 2022
Chizmata wrote:
06 Jul 2022
Dont forget to demo this:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... volt-sh-1/

rmtcvolte

07 Jul 2022

moofi wrote:
06 Jul 2022
Oh yes, that´s a nice one. Just recently played around with it for the first time understandingly after having bought it when it was being released. The filter is neat aswell. In combination with Lectric Panda´s Scope afterwards it´s a pretty way sculpting CV and also learn the device.
Back in the days I used it to generate random notes in conjunction with gates generated by redrum. Visualisation of note values is perfect with pongasoft CVA-7.

moofi

07 Jul 2022

Yes, CVA-7 is pleasant aswell. I especially like the possibility to move through the recorded part once you turned live view off. Can be modulated aswell.
rmtcvolte wrote:
07 Jul 2022
moofi wrote:
06 Jul 2022
Back in the days I used it to generate random notes in conjunction with gates generated by redrum. Visualisation of note values is perfect with pongasoft CVA-7.

selig
RE Developer

07 Jul 2022

huggermugger wrote:
06 Jul 2022
moofi wrote:
06 Jul 2022
LIttle LFO contains a S&H waveform, aswell a smoothed one. And it´s also free.

https://reasonstudios.com/shop/rack-ext ... ittle-lfo/

EDIT: While I like Ochen´s A-series very much, the S&H needs a trigger to output.

The S&H does have a Trigger input, like any S&H circuit. It's got Trigger, Samp (the signal to be sampled), and the Output. Here it is in action. I'm using LFO1 as the Trig and LFO2 as the sample source (i'm sampling a Triangle wave, so you get a nice pattern. S&H isn't just about random).

If the OP is asking for a Random LFO, there's a ton of them. Even Pulsar. But if the OP is asking for a S&H device (which I think they are), then none of the LFO's you've mentioned are the answer. An LFO or a noise source is not a S&H. A S&H is not the same as a random generator, although it can be used as one.
This is an important distinction!
FWIW I built a sample and hold combinator (using Thor IIRC) years ago just for proof of concept and because there was no other way to do this back in the old days… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

moofi

07 Jul 2022

Yes, thoguht of it more like a random source when writing. Naturally the basic funcitonality is to sample a signal and hold it for a given time before sampling again. Noises work well being the source sampled from for random output.
selig wrote:
07 Jul 2022
huggermugger wrote:
06 Jul 2022

This is an important distinction!
FWIW I built a sample and hold combinator (using Thor IIRC) years ago just for proof of concept and because there was no other way to do this back in the old days… ;)

• Information