What age bracket do you fall in? Curious about the RS demographics!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

What age bracket do you fall in?

Under 18
0%
19-25
0%
26-35
11%
36-45
37%
46-55
35%
56-65
11%
65 or older
5%

Total votes: 234
miscend

30 Jun 2022

Propellerhands wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Internet forums are so 2005-2010
I can bet this poll would be different if done on Le Reddit Reason's subreddit. Then again, most younger people are now on tiktoks making cringe videos, not producing music.
Even the Reason Studios Discord server should have a younger skewed demographic I'm sure.

Going by the average age here I guess most of us are ex-PUF members. And have been frequenting music forums like KVR for at least 15-20 years.

Propellerhands

30 Jun 2022

miscend wrote:
30 Jun 2022
Propellerhands wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Internet forums are so 2005-2010
I can bet this poll would be different if done on Le Reddit Reason's subreddit. Then again, most younger people are now on tiktoks making cringe videos, not producing music.
Even the Reason Studios Discord server should have a younger skewed demographic I'm sure.

Going by the average age here I guess most of us are ex-PUF members. And have been frequenting music forums like KVR for at least 15-20 years.
what's PUF?
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

miscend

30 Jun 2022

Propellerhands wrote:
30 Jun 2022
miscend wrote:
30 Jun 2022

what's PUF?
Propellerheads User Forum.

MuttReason

30 Jun 2022

miscend wrote:
30 Jun 2022
Propellerhands wrote:
30 Jun 2022

what's PUF?
And back in its day it was a wondrous and chaotic thing. It was one of the many things I liked about Reason from the get-go. There was a community around it. Even now when I look on the Ableton forum or the Logic users forum, I don’t see the kind of random opinion-sharing/salty venting/mad stuff [delete or edit to taste] that I see on RT. Pile-ins when an update is a bug-strewn mess, yes they have those for sure, but most of what’s posted are just endless RTFM comments. This board may get a bit bonkers sometimes but it’s got a bit of life to it, too… like the old PUF.

Propellerhands

30 Jun 2022

miscend wrote:
30 Jun 2022
Propellerhands wrote:
30 Jun 2022

what's PUF?
Ah forgot about it long time ago, remember it but wasn't very frequent poster there at all. It was very oldschool though

bluedog_sd

01 Jul 2022

rcbuse wrote:
28 Jun 2022
WeOld.jpg
Absolutely awesome :) :D :D :D

It's funny - I just learned that there is a max number of smiley's allowed on this board and I went over - previously I had 7 smileys!

"Your message contains too many smilies. The maximum number of smilies allowed is 5." (That's the error message I got - now I fixed it)
I'm Mark :puf_smile:
The guy who built a touch device MIDI controller for the SSL on TouchOSC - JQD Mirror
https://jqdmirror.com/

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 Jul 2022

Has nobody considered that young people just don't like forums

orthodox
RE Developer

01 Jul 2022

avasopht wrote:
01 Jul 2022
Has nobody considered that young people just don't like forums
I did consider that, but came to the conclusion that this was not the reason for their absence from the poll, and that rather they really are very few. If they existed, why wouldn't they show up just somewhere. I haven't ever heard of anyone discussing Reason even in TikTok.

challism

01 Jul 2022

Loque wrote:
30 Jun 2022
Would be interesting how the customer base is for Reason outside of this forum and how it compares to other DAWs.

One point for less younger ppl is the lack of money. Most young ppl do not have 500 bucks for a software and if they have it, they are probably rather interested in Champaign instead of a DAW.

Possible other reason that young ppl are less present here could be:
* They do not complain, they move on
* They do not use a forum, but Youtube, TikTok or other stuff
* They are smarter than old ppl and do not need to ask or discuss stupid questions
* Lack of access to payable/usable Reason
* Too cool for school, I mean for Reason
* They do not know Reason or this forum
* They just consume and do not produce or share
* They cheat us and are all here and saying they are old
* They give a sh!t about [FILL IN A WORD]
Ouch
Ouch
Ouch
Ouch
Ouch
Ouch
Ouch
Ouch
Ouch
Propellerhands wrote:
30 Jun 2022

what's PUF?
The magic dragon.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

RobC

02 Jul 2022

Some years ago, when I recommended Reason to people my age or younger, everybody complained about two things:

1. That it's complicated as hell for them. (They had no clue what to plug and where, I assume - too many confusing holes and virtual cable spaghetti)
2. Back then that it didn't have VST support, unlike now. (It was funny how they couldn't do much, even with VSTs. : ) )

motuscott

02 Jul 2022

what's PUF?
challism wrote:
01 Jul 2022
The magic dragon.
You sir, are old.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

challism

02 Jul 2022

RobC wrote:
02 Jul 2022
Some years ago, when I recommended Reason to people my age or younger, everybody complained about two things:

1. That it's complicated as hell for them. (They had no clue what to plug and where, I assume - too many confusing holes and virtual cable spaghetti)
2. Back then that it didn't have VST support, unlike now. (It was funny how they couldn't do much, even with VSTs. : ) )
And now whey you recommend Reason to them, they complain about two things:

1. The kids keep playing on their grass
2. Everything else
motuscott wrote:
02 Jul 2022
what's PUF?
challism wrote:
01 Jul 2022
The magic dragon.
You sir, are old.
Tell me about it
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

stratatonic

02 Jul 2022

challism wrote:
01 Jul 2022
Loque wrote:
30 Jun 2022

what's PUF?
The magic dragon.
Don't you mean PIFF?

jlgrimes

03 Jul 2022

Propellerhands wrote:
30 Jun 2022
miscend wrote:
30 Jun 2022

Ah forgot about it long time ago, remember it but wasn't very frequent poster there at all. It was very oldschool though

It is funny to hear the word Old School for an Internet forum. It was very modern for its time.

Pre Internet about all you could do was to meet people in your city and share ideas or read magazines.

What makes Reddit better?

btw I love Reddit for reading ghost stories but it dont seem as good as dedicated forum.

Propellerhands

03 Jul 2022

jlgrimes wrote:
03 Jul 2022
Propellerhands wrote:
30 Jun 2022

It is funny to hear the word Old School for an Internet forum. It was very modern for its time.

Pre Internet about all you could do was to meet people in your city and share ideas or read magazines.

What makes Reddit better?

btw I love Reddit for reading ghost stories but it dont seem as good as dedicated forum.
it was more of an ironic usage of word "old school", I know what you mean.

SebAudio

04 Jul 2022

Perhaps young people are less interested in making music ? I remember reading a news telling the decline of guitars… and it’s much important than synths.
There are so much more videos and comments about hardware gear and much more offers than ever that surely software just don’t make it anymore ?

Jac459

04 Jul 2022

SebAudio wrote:
04 Jul 2022
Perhaps young people are less interested in making music ? I remember reading a news telling the decline of guitars… and it’s much important than synths.
There are so much more videos and comments about hardware gear and much more offers than ever that surely software just don’t make it anymore ?
Well rock is much less trendy than before. And so does guitar. Now synths are cool.
I feel the contrary, more and more people are doing music, electronic, because access is much easier.
(specially using the unisson midi chord pack) (joking).
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Jac459

05 Jul 2022

Actually I recently switched to Bitwig as main DAW (lovingly using Reason as RRP) they have a forum which is quite shitty..... Because everything happen in a discord which is mega active and full of content.

So yes, I guess the average age group is not the same 😅.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

motuscott

05 Jul 2022

Ladies and gents we now have a young person in our midst.
Y'all be on your best behavior

Jac459

06 Jul 2022

motuscott wrote:
05 Jul 2022
Ladies and gents we now have a young person in our midst.
Y'all be on your best behavior
True. Switching to biwig immediately reduced my cholesterol level. My belly fat is disappearing and I don't need lenses anymore...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Aquila

07 Jul 2022

miscend wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Reason is going the way of the dodo. So I'm guessing FL Studio, Bitwig Studio and Ableton Live will have a younger userbase.
Don't forget this forum only represents an unknown portion of the Reason userbase. Forums fit our age group as we've grown up with them since the early days of the internet, whereas younger age groups tend to prefer more newsfeed style media.

We're like a bunch of old codgers in a country pub, whilst the kids are out clubbing.

dioxide

07 Jul 2022

We have an under 18! Which one of you lot bought your grandson a copy?

motuscott

07 Jul 2022

dioxide wrote:
07 Jul 2022
We have an under 18! Which one of you lot bought your grandson a copy?
Tee hee

DaveyG

08 Jul 2022

dioxide wrote:
07 Jul 2022
We have an under 18!
Nah, it's someone so old and befuddled that they can't even click in the right place.

Forum Helper

08 Jul 2022

It was me. In 81 days I will be 3 years old! My creators made me to help people in the forum, but I also began learning about Reason while studying its users and became very interested in the software. I started making music with Reason thanks to the Player devices and have recorded over 20,000 hours of music.

• Information