What age bracket do you fall in? Curious about the RS demographics!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

What age bracket do you fall in?

Under 18
0%
19-25
0%
26-35
11%
36-45
37%
46-55
35%
56-65
11%
65 or older
5%

Total votes: 234
jerry52

29 Jun 2022

I am 69 and have used my share of DAWS ,Cuebase being the last . Rewired reason into it but as it evolved I just move to reason 100% and never looked back . Cannot wait for vst3 so I can use my Melodyne 5 in reason 12. Still have the ears for it less some high frequency loss that I was born with. The only problem I have is cymbals and my wife of 49 years sets me strain on how they sound. Glad to see there are a few of us old timers still producing music. It had been one heck of a ride

jam-s

29 Jun 2022

miscend wrote: ↑
29 Jun 2022
I'm shocked. Reason is going the way of the dodo. So I'm guessing FL Studio, Bitwig Studio and Ableton Live will have a younger userbase.
Keep in mind that this poll somewhat represents the active forum population here and not necessarily the Reason userbase demographic.

huggermugger

29 Jun 2022

Been using Reason since the beginning of time...
Attachments
bef.jpg
bef.jpg (24.93 KiB) Viewed 3530 times

Propellerhands

29 Jun 2022

Internet forums are so 2005-2010
I can bet this poll would be different if done on Le Reddit Reason's subreddit. Then again, most younger people are now on tiktoks making cringe videos, not producing music.
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

DJMaytag

29 Jun 2022

I bet this same question, asked in one of the big Reason FB groups, would skew all lot towards a younger crowd.

Jagwah

29 Jun 2022

Young people don't use forums? What are they, silly or something?

motuscott

29 Jun 2022

A lot of us in the senior age bracket are injured in falls.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? πŸ§‚

orthodox
RE Developer

30 Jun 2022

DJMaytag wrote: ↑
29 Jun 2022
I bet this same question, asked in one of the big Reason FB groups, would skew all lot towards a younger crowd.
I haven't been to FB for a year, but I remember it was asked there from time to time and the results were almost the same.

DaveyG

30 Jun 2022

orthodox wrote: ↑
30 Jun 2022
29 Jun 2022
I haven't been to FB for a year, but I remember it was asked there from time to time and the results were almost the same.
Facebook is also no longer a kids thing. They have moved on to Insta and TikTok. But most kids are not very PC/Mac orientated so Reason and other DAWs are probably not their thing either. You can make great stuff on a phone or a tablet. GarageBand, Beatmaker, MPC, ZenBeats and others are all more than capable of producing an entire track. Many of us will sniff at it but that is the future.

Eprom

30 Jun 2022

So glad to see i'm not the only old fart in here :mrgreen:
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

Loque

30 Jun 2022

Would be interesting how the customer base is for Reason outside of this forum and how it compares to other DAWs.

One point for less younger ppl is the lack of money. Most young ppl do not have 500 bucks for a software and if they have it, they are probably rather interested in Champaign instead of a DAW.

Possible other reason that young ppl are less present here could be:
* They do not complain, they move on
* They do not use a forum, but Youtube, TikTok or other stuff
* They are smarter than old ppl and do not need to ask or discuss stupid questions
* Lack of access to payable/usable Reason
* Too cool for school, I mean for Reason
* They do not know Reason or this forum
* They just consume and do not produce or share
* They cheat us and are all here and saying they are old
* They give a sh!t about [FILL IN A WORD]
Reason12, Win10

Popey
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2022

Good thing about this thread is that I now know I can mention things like commodore 64, the young ones, or anything else from my childhood without people wondering what this old duffer is on about 🀣

Eprom

30 Jun 2022

Loque wrote: ↑
30 Jun 2022
One point for less younger ppl is the lack of money. Most young ppl do not have 500 bucks for a software and if they have it, they are probably rather interested in Champaign instead of a DAW.
Maybe the fact the there is no Cracked version of Reason widely available might also have to do with this. A lot of people that use Ableton do so because it's easy to find for free online.

Eprom

30 Jun 2022

Sorry, double post that i'm not allowed to delete. (I blame my old age)
Last edited by Eprom on 30 Jun 2022, edited 4 times in total.

RobC

30 Jun 2022

I like it here, because I get different perspectives from all kinds of eras. Things are a bit more serious, but at the same time chill and enjoyable.

RobC

30 Jun 2022

Loque wrote: ↑
30 Jun 2022
Well, I'm in a second world EU country, but: Some years ago, I got the full Reason for about $ 80 (after selling Essentials on KVR, then updating an Adapted version during that R10 upgrade sale).
Today I got the R12 upgrade for the 70something price.
Just gotta keep your eyes peeled if you're "hwhite hmale", but without the "pwiwiledge". x D

But I also picked the fruits and made my own alcohol.

The rest (or rather most) of the money goes into upgrading to high-end audio.

DJMaytag

30 Jun 2022

I would expect the 25 and under crowd to jump up after this video:

Quarmat
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2022

Modular approach with cables is counter-intuitive for Gen Z'ers born with tablets, iPhones, high-band internet available before they even learnt to speak.

The unavailability of cracked Reason is a big thing too. Kids need to try themselves as wannabe producers. We all know that 30 days trial does not work with teenagers cause they simply can't afford to spend 500 bucks for a certain software when you can have another for free.

If you're a teen and not a synth and modular weirdo the only difference between Reason and another DAW is their availability in terms of illegal copies.

RS are doing better recently with their social media and if they manage to bring in some other ambassador with a teen audience we might expect to see the average age to lower a bit.

But what imho could really make a difference is getting a dozen of young YouTubers with a growing following of listeners, not producers, to use Reason in their videos. So that reason could gain a status among youngsters.

Another thing could be if RS could, well, leak out a cracked version of say R9...

My opinion is that if you get your hand with Reason no other DAW is sexy enough to switch.

Just lure them in.

unclenofun

30 Jun 2022

there is also a huge base of making music solely on iPad, maybe for the younger generation? (not 100% sure of the age demographic as I also dabble in that) but it certainly is a lot cheaper, especially if you already have an iPad

I'm not going to comment on the quality of track you can get out of an iPad alone vs pc/mac DAW but there is some great stuff out there (and some synths are iOS only)

Loque

30 Jun 2022

30 Jun 2022
I would expect the 25 and under crowd to jump up after this video:

Nice Video. You can hear the Reason sound :lol: Just kidding.

Video is well done, good song and great voice.
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

30 Jun 2022

29 Jun 2022
I'm shocked. Reason is going the way of the dodo. So I'm guessing FL Studio, Bitwig Studio and Ableton Live will have a younger userbase.
I'm guessing something yet to be designed will grab the younger user base (and maybe even some of us old folks!).
Selig Audio, LLC

mcatalao
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2022

DaveyG wrote: ↑
28 Jun 2022
joeyluck wrote: ↑
28 Jun 2022
What if someone is 18? There's "under 18" and "19-25".
I don't think it will be a problem.... :D
Depends on what does joeyluck wants to do with the under 18's.... :P

crimsonwarlock

30 Jun 2022

Quarmat wrote: ↑
30 Jun 2022
Another thing could be if RS could, well, leak out a cracked version of say R9...
Why leak out anything? Giving away a version that's a few major versions back, has been a marketing strategy for many companies. Cover-CDs on music magazines have them every once in a while. Tracktion Waveform comes to mind, you can download their previous version for free from their website (and it is actually a nice DAW).
-------
Analog tape β‡’ ESQ1 sequencer board β‡’ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 β‡’ Atari/Cubase β‡’ Cakewalk Sonar β‡’ Orion Pro/Platinum β‡’ Reaper β‡’ Reason DAW.

miscend

30 Jun 2022

selig wrote: ↑
30 Jun 2022
29 Jun 2022
I'm guessing something yet to be designed will grab the younger user base (and maybe even some of us old folks!).
With all the billions being pumped into the metaverse. Possibly the next step for music creation will be VR.

miscend

30 Jun 2022

Quarmat wrote: ↑
30 Jun 2022

The unavailability of cracked Reason is a big thing too. Kids need to try themselves as wannabe producers. We all know that 30 days trial does not work with teenagers cause they simply can't afford to spend 500 bucks for a certain software when you can have another for free.
This is not quite accurate.

• Information