Reason 12.2.7 Release Notes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 9836
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 29 Jun 2022

I'm curious of the use case for very long samples in Mimic. For me the workaround works only because when I load long samples it's when I'm working quickly and skipping the step of cropping audio before loading it into Mimic. I guess if I want to use some audio from then end of a long recording, I just won't be able to skip that step.

But are there some examples of playing back such long samples? Especially without something like MIDI chase, that would drive me nuts with any edits and mixing to have to start from the beginning everytime to trigger the long sample in Mimic.

And is this limit per slot? Or per Mimic? Either way, if I really wanted to use long samples in their entirety, I'd probably split them into separate slots so that I could at least trigger them separately in the timeline and have less of a headache when starting from various points in the project.

User avatar
Timmy Crowne
Posts: 341
Joined: 06 Apr 2017
Location: California, United States

Post 29 Jun 2022

joeyluck wrote:
29 Jun 2022
But are there some examples of playing back such long samples?
One use case I employ is loading a long wave file comprised of 92 samples stitched together in one file (92 is the maximum number of slices IIRC). I then use the transient detector to map the slices across the keyboard. This allows me to work around Mimic’s slot limit and get it to function as an updated NN-XT with its granular engine and superior modulation capabilities.

I’ve been doing this with short drum samples so far. If I expand to longer melodic samples I’ll bump up against that size limitation pretty quick. Even at 44.1kHz, each sample couldn’t even be 4 seconds long before running out of space.

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 2373
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: Bajo del mar...

Post 30 Jun 2022

orthodox wrote:
29 Jun 2022
plaamook wrote:
29 Jun 2022
There's no limit that I know of in Grain. For example.
I know of one limit, it's 2GB WAV file size.
plaamook wrote:
29 Jun 2022
I've got it up and running and it's a real let down. As someone mentioned (and I mentioned to support a few times already) it's not about the length of the sample but the file size. So if you're working in 24/96...and I generally do...it won't load a 6 min sample. It won't even load a 4 min sample. It just chops it off wherever it likes and you get what you get. At 24/96 it's more like 2 min.
They basically HAVEN'T fixed the problem but only prevented it from crashing Mimic if you try to load large files by implementing this auto crop garbage.

Fuck it...
At 24/96 (as at 16/96) it's 2m 46.667s. But you're right, that's just unacceptable. Reason just does not meet the maximalist standards. I'm just losing heart thinking that one day I may have a musical idea that will require having a 3-minute sample in Mimic and I won't be able to do that.
I can’t tell if you’re joking about the 3 min sample but they’ve buried the super amazing advanced stretch algorithm in mimic and that thing has potential way beyond farting around w some drum loop.
I can see why chopping up a 10min drum loop might be unrealistic but pushing a 5min recording of a steam engine through mimic with all that control over pitch and speed...
They built it with no vision beyond a drum loop? Really?
Then put the advanced algorithm in grain for fucks sake, but set it free somehow!
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

User avatar
MarkTarlton
Posts: 761
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Santa Rosa, CA

Post 30 Jun 2022

I'm experiencing some weird bug with my waves plug ins, nothing shows up after the plug ins starting with doubler under the create tab at the top of the screen, but everything is available on the left hand side browser where you have all your folders and favorites. I went through the whole process of deleting the cache so it would re-scan and still no luck. It's not a 100% deal breaker but I prefer to search for my huge list of plug ins via the create tab.

I don't have issues with them in Logic or Live, only Reason 12 since updating.

I haven't had time to go through every plug in yet so there could be more, because I'm in the middle of doing a pretty big project right now with a client I'm stoked to work with, any advice? I don't feel like waiting for support right now, it takes too long to wait for emails.

Thanks!

User avatar
ProfessaKaos
Posts: 427
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post 30 Jun 2022

Any Serato Sample owners?

I am experiencing a bug where Serato Samples GUI does not fully display the whole GUI. The bottom and right hand side of the GUI get cut off which makes some of Serato Samples functions not useable as you can't get to them. Anyone else experiencing this?

This was happening in the previous build and this latest one.
I have created a ticket for it, and welcome anyone who is also experiencing this to create one also.

Anyway I really appreciate the effort Reason Studio's are putting in to squash bugs. Thank you
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

User avatar
orthodox
RE Developer
Posts: 2278
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: 55°09'24.5"N 37°27'41.4"E

Post 30 Jun 2022

plaamook wrote:
30 Jun 2022
I can’t tell if you’re joking about the 3 min sample...
I was joking (and I could not tell if you were), because I can't imagine any need for such long samples for myself. But of course I admit I may be wrong.

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 2373
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: Bajo del mar...

Post 30 Jun 2022

orthodox wrote:
30 Jun 2022
plaamook wrote:
30 Jun 2022
I can’t tell if you’re joking about the 3 min sample...
I was joking (and I could not tell if you were), because I can't imagine any need for such long samples for myself. But of course I admit I may be wrong.
Not wrong. Just different. As reason progresses at times I regret committing to it. Not because it’s bad but because the way my work has developed it’s prob more suited to a different daw.
So it goes.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

helmutson
Posts: 191
Joined: 30 Mar 2015

Post 30 Jun 2022

Still many GUI issues, even in the transport section ... doesn't hurt so much, but really - I can't understand what is so complicated correcting these little things. Please , finally !

User avatar
MattiasHG
Reason Studios
Posts: 443
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 30 Jun 2022

helmutson wrote:
30 Jun 2022
Still many GUI issues, even in the transport section ... doesn't hurt so much, but really - I can't understand what is so complicated correcting these little things. Please , finally !
Get in touch with support about which GUI issues you're experiencing. A vast majority of everything should be solved now, but certain GPU series and drivers have proven to be incompatible. Specifically certain older AMD Radeon series GPUs. They're also so old the manufacturer is no longer updating the driver, which means it's quite hard to address. Support can help identify if that's the case for you and explore workarounds.

helmutson
Posts: 191
Joined: 30 Mar 2015

Post 30 Jun 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
30 Jun 2022
helmutson wrote:
30 Jun 2022
Still many GUI issues, even in the transport section ... doesn't hurt so much, but really - I can't understand what is so complicated correcting these little things. Please , finally !
Get in touch with support about which GUI issues you're experiencing. A vast majority of everything should be solved now, but certain GPU series and drivers have proven to be incompatible. Specifically certain older AMD Radeon series GPUs. They're also so old the manufacturer is no longer updating the driver, which means it's quite hard to address. Support can help identify if that's the case for you and explore workarounds.
I'm on a brand new M1 Macmini ... for comparisation, I have an Intel Windows machine, very new too, with the exact same GUI bugs , like strange lines/shadows around and on the transport "switches" and so on ... but maybe that's not so important for RS, because it's only (or mostly) in the DAW and obviously you guys have more focus on the RRP .

User avatar
JiggeryPokery
RE Developer
Posts: 1151
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 30 Jun 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
30 Jun 2022
A vast majority of everything should be solved now, but certain GPU series and drivers have proven to be incompatible. Specifically certain older AMD Radeon series GPUs. They're also so old the manufacturer is no longer updating the driver, which means it's quite hard to address.
That's an unsurprisingly disappointing verbiage of weasel words: trot out some vague statement about what errors are outstanding and use the old "blame your AMD rig"-style victim-blaming and errors on us plebs using old AMD drivers. That's literally what you've written there: that all existing errors are only on old AMD Radeon cards and it's our fault for using unsupported hardware. (Notwithstanding you have no minimum specified GPU recommendation for Reason 12 https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... Reason-12- ... ".

There's one problem with that type of denigrating AMD like a User Benchmark fanboy: if all remaining graphic errors now "specifically" AMD-related as you state, then—as Helmut notes—feel free to explain this image below away so casually in your very freshest latest build running on the bleedin' Nvidia GTX1070 I've got here: hardly a rare or unsupported device, or indeed, any way AMD-related.
Screenshot 2022-06-30 114240.png
FYI that's at default Windows scaling (100%) and it looks wrong at any Reason scale except 100% and 200%. With the amount of testing you do it is utterly inconceivable you're not aware of this, so it's baffling you're a) just leaving it, which means you think it's acceptable, and b) pretend it doesn't exist if anyone mentions it. :puf_unhappy:

It's not "specifically" old AMD gear when even the most fundamentally basic Reason UI display operations are still not displaying correctly a year after release. And remember, in the Steam survey seven of the top ten GPUs are still GTX 10xx series. And your transport bar doesn't display correctly on them either. Maybe that's what Niklas Agevik meant in his last blog by describing his staff's ability in terms of "cutting-edge competence"! That's a vote of confidence right there! "When it comes to being passably kind-of okay at your job to the barest minimum acceptable standard, you're really at the top end of finding special ways of being very passably okay to the barest minimum standard!"

In the old days we'd have called it "sittin' on the job!"

I agree with helmut it's hardly a bug preventative to usability, it is just a minor, though annoying, visual glitch. But what it is, is that it's endemic of the casual disregard to attention to detail across all levels of the product, even the damn transport—that most central and common and fundamental part of the whole damn UI. You chose to ship it with this visual error, and if I were a new user trialling the product, that inattention to a detail I see every time I open the program may well be very off-putting. It's like window-shopping for a new outfit but the display-fitter got caught short as they were dressing their mannequin and decided to do a little poo in the corner. Would you buy an outfit from a shop whose staff shit in the corner of the window display? Well, it's only a little poo, so... we give them a free pass, I guess!*

So no, it's not our cards. It's not our drivers. It's not us. It's you.

____

* If one wants to deep-dive that analogy, a smarter shop-fitter could have covered themselves in glory and added some millinery to the mannequin and shat in the hat...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Eprom
Posts: 108
Joined: 24 Sep 2017

Post 30 Jun 2022

helmutson wrote:
30 Jun 2022
MattiasHG wrote:
30 Jun 2022


Get in touch with support about which GUI issues you're experiencing. A vast majority of everything should be solved now, but certain GPU series and drivers have proven to be incompatible. Specifically certain older AMD Radeon series GPUs. They're also so old the manufacturer is no longer updating the driver, which means it's quite hard to address. Support can help identify if that's the case for you and explore workarounds.
I'm on a brand new M1 Macmini ... for comparisation, I have an Intel Windows machine, very new too, with the exact same GUI bugs , like strange lines/shadows around and on the transport "switches" and so on ... but maybe that's not so important for RS, because it's only (or mostly) in the DAW and obviously you guys have more focus on the RRP .
I still have GUI issues when using Reason RRP in Logic Pro: the browser column loads very slow or only partially until I move my mouse over it. (Mac Mini M1)
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

[Mac Mini M1/Macbook Pro M1/MacOS 12.4 - Reason 12]

helmutson
Posts: 191
Joined: 30 Mar 2015

Post 30 Jun 2022

[quote=JiggeryP

I agree with helmut it's hardly a bug preventative to usability, it is just a minor, though annoying, visual glitch. But what it is, is that it's endemic of the casual disregard to attention to detail across all levels of the product, even the damn transport—that most central and common and fundamental part of the whole damn UI. You chose to ship it with this visual error, and if I were a new user trialling the product, that inattention to a detail I see every time I open the program may well be very off-putting. It's like window-shopping for a new outfit but the display-fitter got caught short as they were dressing their mannequin and decided to do a little poo in the corner. Would you buy an outfit from a shop whose staff shit in the corner of the window display? Well, it's only a little poo, so... we give them a free pass, I guess!*

So no, it's not our cards. It's not our drivers. It's not us. It's you.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 4222
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 30 Jun 2022

I used to jump on new point updates immediately, and with excitement. after 12, I’ve almost stopped caring entirely. only one of the updates they’ve put out for 12 has actually improved things for me (I can open and work on a session that would cause Reason to hang). and they haven’t solved the biggest issue I have—absolutely trash performance on a relatively powerful machine. this program is starting to feel more and more like a bad joke. it’s gotten to the point where I find myself actively not using RRP in other DAWs just because I don’t want to think about Reason (how ironic that I’m posting this here now, I know 😅).

hey more cool toys though amirite?
I write good music for good people

https://slow-robot.com/
https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Spasy
Posts: 4
Joined: 23 Oct 2016

Post 30 Jun 2022

Yep.. Im on latest Ryzen, 64gig rams and RTX. I must say the performance in R12 is much worse than it was in Reason 11. I mean... I have to say it again. It´s cool to have new little gadgets and tools every half year, but I would rather have a functional DAW that works well with third party plugins OR at least have a AUTOSAVE when the DAW crashes, I thought this is a MUST in every DAW. Also (like many related things) it just can´t be that much of extra work to program autosave feature.. And yes I know it´s about making music and I complain right now, but when you make music you dont want to spend extra time when having bad overall performance, you need to have everything quickly, which I feel its issue in Reason, so many basic functions are missing (I´m sure many other users shared their lists already so I won´t be another one).

Have a good one guys

User avatar
plasticfractal
Posts: 132
Joined: 29 Oct 2016

Post 30 Jun 2022

ProfessaKaos wrote:
30 Jun 2022
Any Serato Sample owners?

I am experiencing a bug where Serato Samples GUI does not fully display the whole GUI. The bottom and right hand side of the GUI get cut off which makes some of Serato Samples functions not useable as you can't get to them. Anyone else experiencing this?

This was happening in the previous build and this latest one.
I have created a ticket for it, and welcome anyone who is also experiencing this to create one also.

Anyway I really appreciate the effort Reason Studio's are putting in to squash bugs. Thank you
YES! Serato Sample, and many other VSTs, flat out don't work after they implemented the auto-scale feature. That is both with the feature enabled, and with it disabled. Something just broke in how VST interfaces are rendered, and many of mine are unusable now. It is frustrating, and I'm not seeing any other acknowledgement of this problem, except for your message here just now. This confirms I am not going crazy. I wish they would fix this. I will have to use version 11 for any stuff that involves those VSTs for now.

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 2373
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: Bajo del mar...

Post 30 Jun 2022

joeyluck wrote:
29 Jun 2022
I'm curious of the use case for very long samples in Mimic. For me the workaround works only because when I load long samples it's when I'm working quickly and skipping the step of cropping audio before loading it into Mimic. I guess if I want to use some audio from then end of a long recording, I just won't be able to skip that step.

But are there some examples of playing back such long samples? Especially without something like MIDI chase, that would drive me nuts with any edits and mixing to have to start from the beginning everytime to trigger the long sample in Mimic.

And is this limit per slot? Or per Mimic? Either way, if I really wanted to use long samples in their entirety, I'd probably split them into separate slots so that I could at least trigger them separately in the timeline and have less of a headache when starting from various points in the project.
Take a long recording...say a 20min recording of divers working at depth...and process the lot so you can listen back and cut out the parts you want. Because w long recordings running through a process it’s hard to tell where the sweet spots will be.
I do that a lot w various processes so I can use the processed audio direct on the time line. Because as you say, triggering it would be a nightmare from the nnxt days.
Sure I can cut up the 20min file but why should I have to? I don’t have to do it w Grain. Nnxt. Any number of other samplers.
And if there’s no point to anyone ever loading a long recording why do all these other samplers allow it.
The real kicker is that before they ‘fixed’ mimic you could at least load and play long samples and record the audio out. For me mimic only crashed if you tried pissing around w the loop points and zoom scroll in its display.
Now we can’t even do that.

Like I said. Put the advanced algorithm into Grain. It’s more suited to it anyway.
Or better still add all the stretch algorithms , including tape stretch, to the sequencer.
But that still doesn’t give you mimic which has amazing independent control over pitch stretch and transients.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

MuttReason
Posts: 132
Joined: 28 Jan 2021

Post 30 Jun 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
30 Jun 2022
helmutson wrote:
30 Jun 2022
Still many GUI issues, even in the transport section ... doesn't hurt so much, but really - I can't understand what is so complicated correcting these little things. Please , finally !
Get in touch with support about which GUI issues you're experiencing. A vast majority of everything should be solved now, but certain GPU series and drivers have proven to be incompatible. Specifically certain older AMD Radeon series GPUs. They're also so old the manufacturer is no longer updating the driver, which means it's quite hard to address. Support can help identify if that's the case for you and explore workarounds.
Mattias, sorry but that doesn’t fly. The minor graphics glitch on the transport bar seems to be pretty common across all sorts of setups and it’s been commented on frequently here for ages (and I assume reported also). I see it on my iMac Pro (Intel, Big Sur) and my MacBook Pro (Intel, Monterey). The weird thing is that so much else about this latest build is really good (for me at least… not for others) and I don’t really see any graphics issues now apart from the damn transport bar which surely must be one of the easier things to a) spot whenever Reason opens up, I mean it’s right there in front of you, and b) fix, seeing as it is not exactly the most complex graphics asset in Reason. Not a showstopper at all - I’ve found the latest build to be super stable - but it’s such a strange oversight by RS.

timotheen
Posts: 8
Joined: 12 Aug 2021

Post 30 Jun 2022

Eprom wrote:
30 Jun 2022
helmutson wrote:
30 Jun 2022


I'm on a brand new M1 Macmini ... for comparisation, I have an Intel Windows machine, very new too, with the exact same GUI bugs , like strange lines/shadows around and on the transport "switches" and so on ... but maybe that's not so important for RS, because it's only (or mostly) in the DAW and obviously you guys have more focus on the RRP .
I still have GUI issues when using Reason RRP in Logic Pro: the browser column loads very slow or only partially until I move my mouse over it. (Mac Mini M1)
I'm on a 2018 Intel mac mini and I also still have all these little visual glitches in the DAW, once the app zoom is set higher than 100%, even at just 110. So it looks like a lot of people still have some issues there.

It's not that bad obviously, and it does not prevent to do the work, but we're still surfing that unfinished wave many months later. "Under the hood bugs" are one thing, but easily spotable inconveniances like this are another. Especially after so many updates.

So yeah seeing that its still "a problem" does not sit well with some people. I'm one of them. But at the end of the tunnel there is light right ? (...) RIGHT ?


Stamatz
Posts: 76
Joined: 24 Jan 2019
Location: NY/USA

Post 30 Jun 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
30 Jun 2022
helmutson wrote:
30 Jun 2022
Still many GUI issues, even in the transport section ... doesn't hurt so much, but really - I can't understand what is so complicated correcting these little things. Please , finally !
Get in touch with support about which GUI issues you're experiencing. A vast majority of everything should be solved now, but certain GPU series and drivers have proven to be incompatible. Specifically certain older AMD Radeon series GPUs. They're also so old the manufacturer is no longer updating the driver, which means it's quite hard to address. Support can help identify if that's the case for you and explore workarounds.
I too am on a new machine with current drivers and have this issue. All the buttons have this blocks around them. I highly doubt it's my system and firmly believe it's R12.

This is not apparent in R11. I too just can't underrstand for the life of me why they haven't addressed and fixed this issue a week after launch. I mean come on, these are glaring issues which deserved a HOT FIX a week after release. Waiting for someone to tell me it's a new feature. So again it appears they half arsed this along with many other things (Zoom) in R12. Just not very cool to leave it half baked for what almost a year?
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Presonus Audiobox 96, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 7 5800x 4.7 GHZ, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT, 500GB SSD, 2TB 7200 HD, 500GB SSD:refillpacker:

MuttReason
Posts: 132
Joined: 28 Jan 2021

Post 30 Jun 2022

joeyluck wrote:
30 Jun 2022
Don't ever assume anything is reported.
True, good point. But what is strange about this little transport bar graphics glitch is it is pretty damn obvious. It’s not an obscure UI thing that happens in certain devices at specific resolutions. It’s right up front, every time the DAW launches, and I can’t believe some of the good folks at RS have not seen it for themselves on their own machines at some point as well as (IIRC) a fair number of people here.

But, hey, as I say, it’s a minor cosmetic thing, sloppy for sure but not a dealbreaker by any means, and (for me) in every other respect R12 is now like having the old Reason back. No crashes, no WTF moments, just works and is a lot of fun - a massive improvement on the first time I tried R12 last year which was utterly horrible. But I have every sympathy with the people posting on RT who aren’t having the same experience using Reason now that I’m having.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 9836
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 30 Jun 2022

I hadn't noticed it, but I use the default theme, mostly at 100%. And I guess it doesn't appear until you hover or click on it?

To the defense of Mattias, he is only trying to help. Getting in touch with support is the best suggestion. Joining the beta is even better, I'd say.

There wasn't much detail given in the post as to the exact issues, and they've probably narrowed down some more serious issues recently based on what he said, and he was only suggesting what the culprit could be and also said "if that's the case."

He suggested to get in touch with support and took a guess at what the issue could be given the only info mentioned was "GUI issues even in the transport section". And that sentence suggests that it's not just the transport...

anDre
Posts: 49
Joined: 17 Apr 2019

Post 01 Jul 2022

Przemyslaw wrote:
28 Jun 2022
- Fixed a bug in the Sample Editor that could cause a sample to play without easily being able to stop it
Did they really fix that? :o

Great news. :thumbs_up:

User avatar
MarkTarlton
Posts: 761
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Santa Rosa, CA

Post 01 Jul 2022

I am still having issues with Waves plug ins, only 20% of them showing up in the create menu(see above post by me), and now I noticed Universal Audio too...this blows! I'm disappointed I updated to this version, I blame myself for trusting this would be a good update, bummer!

edit - it's probably not a coincidence that they both only allow 99 plug ins in each category before it stops showing anymore that I have. Starting with the letter A and counting down 99 plug ins it stops, which is weird for both UA and Waves.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: ArcoZ, CommonCrawl [Bot], hamsterfactor, Trendiction [Bot] and 1 guest