Dr. OctoRex functionality for WAV files

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
WaxTrax

26 Jun 2022

I apologize if this has been asked (I'm sure it has, but I couldn't find it). Is there a rack device or RE (or VST plugin) that offers similar functionality to Dr. OctoRex?

What I am looking for is a way to trigger loops (from WAV files) that stay in time as the tempo changes, similar to how Ableton Live and Logic's Live Loops work. I understand that perhaps the easiest thing to do is just use Live or Logic and then use the RRP, but if there is a way to do this with Reason as the host (and without having to convert the WAV file to REX and load it in Dr. OctoRex), that would be marvelous.

To summarize, I am looking for a way to trigger WAV loops without converting them, and keeping them in time as the tempo changes. Is this possible (even with a VST plugin)?

Thanks!

Jac459

26 Jun 2022

Hello, I am not sure to fully understand but I will try an answer.
First in the daw itself, if you drag the audio clip and loop it, when you change the tempo it should change accordingly.
Then of course you have mimic and Dr rex. Also grain works for this. You can change the speed there with nice effect.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Loque

27 Jun 2022

You have also a slice editor for samples. Select slices and you can export a new Rex loop.
Reason12, Win10

WaxTrax

27 Jun 2022

Thanks for the suggestions. I was looking at both Mimic and Grain, and while they will play the files as loops, they are not doing what I am looking for.

I am trying to recreate the functionality of Ableton Live (as an example, Logic can do this too) where you can trigger the WAV files as loops (such as by pushing a button on an external controller) that will then stay in time (without being pitch shifted) as the song tempo changes. I would rather this be in instrument form and not through the sequencer timeline (if anything, MIDI notes only in the sequencer, not actual audio files).

I think the best solution ultimately will be to just use something like Live as the host with RRP for everything else, but if there's a way to do this all within Reason (if if through a VST plugin) that would be best for me.

Thanks again, everyone, I appreciate the input.

selig
RE Developer

27 Jun 2022

If all you want to do is trigger a loop that stays in time with tempo changes, then the timeline approach is the same as using a device unless I'm missing something key here. Now if you want to get creative with the triggering, I'd say a device has the advantage. But if it is as simple as you describe, I'm not sure the disadvantage of using the timeline, plus there are some advantages: sample accurate timing, visual feedback as to exactly 'what' is playing 'where', no additional clutter of devices or potential CPU overhead, etc...
Apologies in advance if I missed something obvious above. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

WaxTrax

27 Jun 2022

The reason I use the word "trigger" is because I am thinking about this from a live / improvisational aspect, which I am not sure if putting the files in the timeline will give me. I could see perhaps putting them all on the timeline in a looped section and then assigning the mute/unmute as the trigger, but the neat thing about Live/Logic is that you can trigger multiple loops so that they start with the next loop sequence (which a simple mute/unmute won't do).

For example if one loop is already playing and I want to trigger a different one, I can trigger it in Live/Logic and it will start playing when the current loop ends, but I'm not sure how something like that could be done with the Reason sequencer timeline.

MuttReason

27 Jun 2022

OP I think what you’re describing is similar to Session view in Ableton Live where individual wav file loops are warped to the project tempo and each clip in Session view can be triggered individually. If so… I cannot think of any device in Reason that does this with a wav file (although clearly OctoRex does it really well with Rex files). One option may be to dump the wav files you want to use into the timeline, open each up in Slice Edit mode, export as Rex then drag each newly created Rex file into each of the 8 slots in an OctoRex. IME this is a pretty quick process and once a loop is inside an OctoRex as a Rex file you can do far more with it than you can ever do with a warped wav file in Ableton Live or in Logic (e.g. manipulate each individual slice as a sample in its own right… super powerful).

WaxTrax

27 Jun 2022

Thanks, this is the closest answer to what I am trying to achieve. And you're right, converting the files isn't too difficult or time-consuming, I was just seeing if there was a way to avoid that step. Thank you, I appreciate it! :-)

Edit: After trying it out this way, it doesn't seem too bad at all. Plus I do have Retouch's JammeR RE. Slice edit is it! :-) Thanks again!

moofi

27 Jun 2022

You could aswell take a look at Peff´s Directre.

https://reasonstudios.com/shop/rack-ext ... io-router/

The concept is a little different, as you mute/unmute incoming audiosignals, yet it´s got quantized switching.

WaxTrax wrote:
27 Jun 2022
Thanks, this is the closest answer to what I am trying to achieve. And you're right, converting the files isn't too difficult or time-consuming, I was just seeing if there was a way to avoid that step. Thank you, I appreciate it! :-)

Edit: After trying it out this way, it doesn't seem too bad at all. Plus I do have Retouch's JammeR RE. Slice edit is it! :-) Thanks again!

MuttReason

27 Jun 2022

WaxTrax wrote:
27 Jun 2022

You’re welcome! I also find that Rex files are much better than Live’s warped files when it comes to big shifts in tempo (eg loop recorded at 140bpm played back at 80bpm). Even using the Complex Pro algorithm in Live there are a lot more artifacts and chipmunk warbling effects than doing the same with the Rex file equivalent. Also I’ve found that snapping to quantise on the grid with a Rex file produces a clean tight loop without any zero crossing clicks while doing the same with the transients in a Live warped file can get pretty glitchy.

When I’m recording acoustic instruments and the musician’s timing is a bit off and I only want a 2 or 4 bar repeating loop (eg a rhythm guitar part) I much prefer exporting the loop as a wav file (if I’m tracking in Ableton) then importing into Reason’s timeline, Slice Edit, export as Rex, into OctoRex in RRP - sorted. Even easier if I’m tracking in Reason DAW… record guitar, choose best take, Slice Edit, export as Rex, OctoRex, export loop to track, quantise. Instant tightness!

WaxTrax

27 Jun 2022

moofi wrote:
27 Jun 2022

The concept is a little different, as you mute/unmute incoming audiosignals, yet it´s got quantized switching.
Very interesting. I might grab that the next time it goes on sale :-)

jam-s

27 Jun 2022

MuttReason wrote:
27 Jun 2022
OP I think what you’re describing is similar to Session view in Ableton Live where individual wav file loops are warped to the project tempo and each clip in Session view can be triggered individually. If so… I cannot think of any device in Reason that does this with a wav file (although clearly OctoRex does it really well with Rex files). One option may be to dump the wav files you want to use into the timeline, open each up in Slice Edit mode, export as Rex then drag each newly created Rex file into each of the 8 slots in an OctoRex. IME this is a pretty quick process and once a loop is inside an OctoRex as a Rex file you can do far more with it than you can ever do with a warped wav file in Ableton Live or in Logic (e.g. manipulate each individual slice as a sample in its own right… super powerful).
In combination with the Jammer RE you can get even a little closer to the Ableton Live session view when using multiple octorex. If you work with prepared loops this can work quite nicely. If you want to record and live warp your loops the best way to go is to buy Ableton live and use Reason as VST for the MIDI based sounds you need.

MuttReason

27 Jun 2022

jam-s wrote:
27 Jun 2022
MuttReason wrote:
27 Jun 2022
In combination with the Jammer RE you can get even a little closer to the Ableton Live session view when using multiple octorex. If you work with prepared loops this can work quite nicely. If you want to record and live warp your loops the best way to go is to buy Ableton live and use Reason as VST for the MIDI based sounds you need.
Jammer looks really good - thanks!

jonnyretina

28 Jun 2022

moofi wrote:
27 Jun 2022

There's also Peff's '035 - CycleOn Combinator Refill' here https://www.peff.com/journal/reason-refills/ - a real-time playback system for ReCycle REX loops. It contains a template for making your own CycleOn patches.

It's easy to convert audio in the sequencer into song self-contained REX and then load them into a CycleOn combinator.

artotaku

28 Jun 2022

One thing to mention when using REX loops.

REX loops are optimal when having audio material with "hard" transients as most drum and percussion loops or arpeggiated synths.
It does not work well with pads with slow attack and release times since the REX conversions inserts noticable clicks and pops at the sclice points. Also, if you play at a slower tempo than the tempo when you converted it you will have gaps.

However, there is kind a nice trick that worked for me. If you want to play the REX loops at e. g. 128 BPM when converting a pad sequences slow down the tempo of the Reason sequencer to e. g. to 100 BPM and then convert it to REX loop.
Now, you have some overlapping slices in the resulting REX file which you can adjust with the ADSR Amp envelope in Dr. Octorex Player to blend them into each other at a higher tempo >= 100 BPM and you can also reduce the tempo to e. g. 110 BPM and still have blending slices.

• Information