latency from hardware to audio.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mimidancer

24 Jun 2022

Latency, when I record audio, is just a few milliseconds. IN short clips it is usually not even worth fixing. In longer clips, it can wreck the pocket of a well-played phrase. So I nudge. Is there a way that reason can detect and do this for me? I know it only takes a few seconds to fix, but it hurts my OCD that I must do this. Is there anything I am missing that can help me? Thanks. detailed mansplaining welcome on this topic.

avasopht
Competition Winner

24 Jun 2022

Flip the rack, expand the programmer section of the associated channel strip, and increase the value in "Adjust (samples)" until it's compensated.

PhillipOrdonez

24 Jun 2022

Automatically? Don't think so. At least m that I'm aware of.

If it is transient heavy, it is a matter of making use of the split at slices feature at the very first transient, then dragging the clip to the start with snap turned off.

selig
RE Developer

24 Jun 2022

You can do this with MIDI but not with audio IIRC.
Selig Audio, LLC

Aquila

24 Jun 2022

It's not well known, but there IS audio recording latency compensation!

In the Audio tab of the Preferences window, there's an option to adjust recording latency in milliseconds. See the section titled "Recording Latency Compensation" in the manual here:
docs.propellerheads.se/reason12/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=OptimizingPerformance.25.2.html
Last edited by Aquila on 24 Jun 2022, edited 2 times in total.

selig
RE Developer

24 Jun 2022

Aquila wrote:
24 Jun 2022
It's not well known, but there IS audio recording latency compensation!

In the Audio tab of the Preferences window, there's an option to adjust recording latency in milliseconds. See the section titled "Recording Latency Compensation" in the manual here: docs.propellerheads.se/reason12/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=OptimizingPerformance.25.2.html
Oh crap, I got it 100% backwards!!! Thanks for the heads up.
Keep in mind you have to monitor externally for this to work. It is not active for internal monitoring, which probably many of us use.
Selig Audio, LLC

Aquila

24 Jun 2022

selig wrote:
24 Jun 2022
Keep in mind you have to monitor externally for this to work. It is not active for internal monitoring, which probably many of us use.
I hope it helps the OP though, they seem more concerned with timeline adjustments rather than monitoring

selig
RE Developer

24 Jun 2022

Aquila wrote:
24 Jun 2022
selig wrote:
24 Jun 2022
I hope it helps the OP though, they seem more concerned with timeline adjustments rather than monitoring
Indeed, though I’m confused why short clips are any different from long, with the same latency for both…
Selig Audio, LLC

mimidancer

26 Jun 2022

Thanks everyone!

• Information