Stereo issues with R12

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tallguy

03 Jun 2022

I don't know exactly when this started, but the current version of Reason (12.2.6d43) on my Mac has quite few issues with stereo when using VSTs.

For starters, quite often, when dropping a VST in an FX chain, it gets wired up in mono. I'm constantly having to hunt down instruments that suddenly sound a bit "lacking". On some occasions, the instrument will be mono, even if the chain is completely wired up in stereo.

So other people have this issue? And therefore should it be reported? Or is it just me? I'm starting suspect Soundtoys are the cause of the problems here, but it's hard to tell as it's not consistent.

Loque

03 Jun 2022

No. Example?
Reason12, Win10

tallguy

03 Jun 2022

Next time I get the issue, I'll save a version. As soon as it happens, I tend to remove the mono gremlins

Loque

03 Jun 2022

tallguy wrote:
03 Jun 2022
Next time I get the issue, I'll save a version. As soon as it happens, I tend to remove the mono gremlins
I mean, which VST as an example.
Reason12, Win10

tallguy

03 Jun 2022

OK, after a bit of trial and error, the finger is starting to point firmly towards Plugin Alliance. Plugins like Black Box Analog Design HG-2, Elysia Karacter, BX Blue Chorus, Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor... in fact, pretty much every PA plugin

The confusing part is that any plugin or rack extension you drop after the PA plugin will also wire itself up in mono, but the common factor seems to be PA

afrodude

03 Jun 2022

Yes seems to be a PA issue have the same problem. Workaround for now is after connecting t cable up manually.

moofi

03 Jun 2022

It´s how Reason works in regards to connecting to merely mono connected devices. Once you fill in a right channel cable it will connect to stereo after the stereo cabled device.

Btw got Sculpt from Plugin Alliance and it initially connects in mono only aswell.
tallguy wrote:
03 Jun 2022

The confusing part is that any plugin or rack extension you drop after the PA plugin will also wire itself up in mono, but the common factor seems to be PA

tallguy

03 Jun 2022

moofi wrote:
03 Jun 2022
It´s how Reason works in regards to connecting to merely mono connected devices. Once you fill in a right channel cable it will connect to stereo after the stereo cabled device.
What I meant was that, even if you have your FX chain all wired up in stereo, any FX you drop below the PA FX will still wire up in mono as if the output from the PA plugin is in mono.

Edit: Just to be clear, the output from the PA VST will be stereo once you manually correct the wiring

moofi

03 Jun 2022

I was about to answer and confirm your observations, then while writing I tested it again and now it´s connecting in stereo??? o.O
tallguy wrote:
03 Jun 2022
moofi wrote:
03 Jun 2022
What I meant was that, even if you have your FX chain all wired up in stereo, any FX you drop below the PA FX will still wire up in mono as if the output from the PA plugin is in mono.

Edit: Just to be clear, the output from the PA VST will be stereo once you manually correct the wiring

tallguy

03 Jun 2022

Where do you even submit this bug? Reason Studios or PA? Or both?

Przemyslaw

03 Jun 2022

Confirm, all PA plugins from Soundwide intro bundle are connecting in mono.

rmtcvolte

04 Jun 2022

tallguy wrote:
03 Jun 2022
Where do you even submit this bug? Reason Studios or PA? Or both?
I am not entirely sure, but it may have appear after the last installation with the plugin manager. Just tried it with a legacy Win7 installer of one of my PA VST's and it automaticaly connects as a stereo device. Unfortunately there is not a legacy installation for every plugin there offer. So may be we have to live with it.

tallguy

04 Jun 2022

rmtcvolte wrote:
04 Jun 2022
I am not entirely sure, but it may have appear after the last installation with the plugin manager. Just tried it with a legacy Win7 installer of one of my PA VST's and it automaticaly connects as a stereo device. Unfortunately there is not a legacy installation for every plugin there offer. So may be we have to live with it.
I'm not sure why you think we should learn to live with it. This is a bug that can and should be fixed.

moofi

04 Jun 2022

Like said, when you first mentioned it, it merely connected in mono, now it´s connecting in stereo, don´t know what happened or why it does it now, yet it works. :-D
Again, talking about ADPTR Sculpt from Plugin Alliance.

DJMaytag

06 Jun 2022

This is most definitely an issue with all of my Plugin Alliance devices for some unknown reason. This also pops up when shift clicking to rearrange the order of PA devices.

tallguy

14 Jun 2022

I reported it and PA got back to me. It's a known issue with VST2. They're working on it

tallguy

30 Jun 2022

This issue has now been resolved. Reinstall all your Plugin Alliance VST2's and it should work

DJMaytag

30 Jun 2022

tallguy wrote:
30 Jun 2022
This issue has now been resolved. Reinstall all your Plugin Alliance VST2's and it should work
Was there an update/bug fix from PA?

tallguy

30 Jun 2022

DJMaytag wrote:
30 Jun 2022
Yes, just reinstall any PA VST2s you’ve got and the problem should be gone.

To be clear, this issue only affected VST2 versions of their plugins.

moofi

30 Jun 2022

Thank you, gonna check.
tallguy wrote:
30 Jun 2022
DJMaytag wrote:
30 Jun 2022
Yes, just reinstall any PA VST2s you’ve got and the problem should be gone.

To be clear, this issue only affected VST2 versions of their plugins.

DJMaytag

30 Jun 2022

On an unrelated note…. or maybe it is related… has anyone noticed that the external audio device doesn’t connect in stereo? I think maybe sending stereo out to my interface connects automatically in stereo, but routing it back in only auto connects in mono.

• Information