Latest Roadmap (June 3 2022)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
stratatonic
Posts: 1496
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: CANADA

Post 02 Sep 2022

Eprom wrote:
02 Sep 2022

I wasn't even talking about VST3 (I'm on a Mac and use AU plugins), but bought R12 because of M1 support.
And my eye sight might be bad but I still see M1 support mentioned in the features list. (source: BestService.com)

(screenshot added)
Screenshot-2022-09-02-.jpg
And in that pic, two points above the M1 point is:
"Support for all popular file formats — from Wave and AIFF to MP3 and more"

Still waiting for "more"...

I brought it up originally from the Sweetwater blurb when R 12 came out :(
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7524367&p=569706

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 10131
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 02 Sep 2022

stratatonic wrote:
02 Sep 2022
Eprom wrote:
02 Sep 2022

I wasn't even talking about VST3 (I'm on a Mac and use AU plugins), but bought R12 because of M1 support.
And my eye sight might be bad but I still see M1 support mentioned in the features list. (source: BestService.com)

(screenshot added)
Screenshot-2022-09-02-.jpg
And in that pic, two points above the M1 point is:
"Support for all popular file formats — from Wave and AIFF to MP3 and more"

Still waiting for "more"...

I brought it up originally from the Sweetwater blurb when R 12 came out :(
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7524367&p=569706
Which one do you >>need<<?
Reason12, Win10

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 9902
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 02 Sep 2022

Loque wrote:
02 Sep 2022
stratatonic wrote:
02 Sep 2022


And in that pic, two points above the M1 point is:
"Support for all popular file formats — from Wave and AIFF to MP3 and more"

Still waiting for "more"...

I brought it up originally from the Sweetwater blurb when R 12 came out :(
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7524367&p=569706
Which one do you >>need<<?
For me, I'm hoping for ambisonic file support, such as AmbiX.

Also, 32-bit file export. We can import 32-bit audio and adjust the waveform, but then we can't export 32-bit, so Reason becomes a stopper. If I'm working on a project using 32-bit float, I can't use Reason because I can't continue to share the 32-bit files with others. I'm not sure why we have import, but not export.

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 2212
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 02 Sep 2022

Loque wrote:
02 Sep 2022
stratatonic wrote:
02 Sep 2022


And in that pic, two points above the M1 point is:
"Support for all popular file formats — from Wave and AIFF to MP3 and more"

Still waiting for "more"...

I brought it up originally from the Sweetwater blurb when R 12 came out :(
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7524367&p=569706
Which one do you >>need<<?
For me FLAC support would be great. Then I could possibly cut storage for sample libraries in half.

RobC
Posts: 1426
Joined: 10 Mar 2018

Post 02 Sep 2022

joeyluck wrote:
02 Sep 2022
Also, 32-bit file export. We can import 32-bit audio and adjust the waveform, but then we can't export 32-bit, so Reason becomes a stopper. If I'm working on a project using 32-bit float, I can't use Reason because I can't continue to share the 32-bit files with others. I'm not sure why we have import, but not export.
It can do that? D : Darn, I should have known. Would be time to read the huge manual again... as if I ever finished it. x D

But honestly yes, there are uses for 32 bit. Should be doable.
And Reaper for example can do things like 16x oversampling.

kurtg
Posts: 27
Joined: 10 Apr 2018

Post 04 Sep 2022

still hoping for a quick VST3/M1 release.

Heater
Posts: 688
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 04 Sep 2022

I don't think we're going to see native M1 support this year.
It annoys me how slow the devs are.

User avatar
DaveyG
Posts: 1752
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 04 Sep 2022

Last we heard was (I think) along the lines that they are focussing on VST3 first and hope to release it by the end of the year with M1 following after that. Of course, they will have people working on both so it's not like they will be starting from scratch for M1 but it doesn't look very likely in 2022. The big question is, will both of these things be in R12 or will they bump one or both of them into R13? They have a real incentive to speed up the major release cycle in order to push people towards the subscription.

User avatar
deeplink
Posts: 809
Joined: 08 Jul 2020
Location: Dubai / Cape Town

Post 04 Sep 2022

I'm thinking the 12.5 release will be quite hefty
Get Combinators, ReFills and RS Giveaways at the Shared GoogleDrive: [deeplink] Open RS-Project

kurtg
Posts: 27
Joined: 10 Apr 2018

Post 04 Sep 2022

They have promised it for R12, so I guess it will be a 12.5 release. Let’s hope in 2022!

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 8239
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 04 Sep 2022

DaveyG wrote:
04 Sep 2022
The big question is, will both of these things be in R12 or will they bump one or both of them into R13?
They’d better not. Otherwise they can give me my money back. Or give me 13 for free.
丰2ॐ

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 3087
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 04 Sep 2022

MrFigg wrote:
04 Sep 2022
DaveyG wrote:
04 Sep 2022
The big question is, will both of these things be in R12 or will they bump one or both of them into R13?
They’d better not. Otherwise they can give me my money back. Or give me 13 for free.
Then I'm rooting for it to be on 13. Perhaps they throw a curve ball at us, releasing 12.5 and 13 at the same time just so they don't have to give us 13 free of charge 😂😂😂
The latest release:

User avatar
DaveyG
Posts: 1752
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 04 Sep 2022

MrFigg wrote:
04 Sep 2022
DaveyG wrote:
04 Sep 2022
The big question is, will both of these things be in R12 or will they bump one or both of them into R13?
They’d better not. Otherwise they can give me my money back. Or give me 13 for free.
Haha! Didn't you get R12 for free?

And whatever happened to your motto of R11 forever? Or it might have been R10. I'm afraid to tell you that you are incurable. You are here 'til the end, like most of us. I've resisted R12 but that makes it more likely that I'll fall for R13, because it might look like good value.

Having said that, I've been drawn into Voltage Modular in recent months. I've never got into CV stuff in Reason but somehow Voltage Modular has hit the spot. It's really rather good and feels more "pure" than Reason. I blame the aftermath of lockdown and my continuing long Covid. It's changed my outlook on many things. I've barely touched any of my guitars recently.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 8239
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 04 Sep 2022

DaveyG wrote:
04 Sep 2022
MrFigg wrote:
04 Sep 2022


They’d better not. Otherwise they can give me my money back. Or give me 13 for free.
Haha! Didn't you get R12 for free?

And whatever happened to your motto of R11 forever? Or it might have been R10. I'm afraid to tell you that you are incurable. You are here 'til the end, like most of us. I've resisted R12 but that makes it more likely that I'll fall for R13, because it might look like good value.

Having said that, I've been drawn into Voltage Modular in recent months. I've never got into CV stuff in Reason but somehow Voltage Modular has hit the spot. It's really rather good and feels more "pure" than Reason. I blame the aftermath of lockdown and my continuing long Covid. It's changed my outlook on many things. I've barely touched any of my guitars recently.
It was 10 to the end but then I got a deal of €70 for R11 with a free upgrade to 12 which I figured was worth it for the sole purpose of buying my REs out of captivity :). But yes…incurable I am. Truth.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
DaveyG
Posts: 1752
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 04 Sep 2022

MrFigg wrote:
04 Sep 2022
|But yes…incurable I am. Truth.
Correction. Incurable WE are, and it's not just me and you. :thumbup:

MuttReason
Posts: 164
Joined: 28 Jan 2021

Post 04 Sep 2022

It’s just not tenable to leave M1 support and VST3 until some point, unspecified right now, later in 2023. I mean, I know RS/Props like to take the scenic route to every destination, but I struggle to think of ANY software I now use - not just music software - that hasn’t been updated with a native M1 version. And VST3 is now the de facto plugin standard alongside AU (and AAX) and has been for quite a while. This is not novel cutting edge tech. M1 is THE ONLY platform for every new Mac and VST3 is THE ONLY plugin format used by devs for new and updated plugins (alongside AU/AAX). Intel Mac and VST2 are both officially deprecated/legacy tech. It is beyond insane if anyone at RS thinks they can twiddle their thumbs for much longer while the entire music software world and the entire Mac ecosystem leave them behind. The clock is ticking. I assume RS know this. If they don’t, then, well… not good.

Yonatan
Posts: 1473
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 05 Sep 2022

I think it will be in R12.5, but it could be added not too far from a new version upgrade is on the roadmap.

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3557
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 05 Sep 2022

MuttReason wrote:
04 Sep 2022
It’s just not tenable to leave M1 support and VST3 until some point, unspecified right now, later in 2023. I mean, I know RS/Props like to take the scenic route to every destination, but I struggle to think of ANY software I now use - not just music software - that hasn’t been updated with a native M1 version. And VST3 is now the de facto plugin standard alongside AU (and AAX) and has been for quite a while. This is not novel cutting edge tech. M1 is THE ONLY platform for every new Mac and VST3 is THE ONLY plugin format used by devs for new and updated plugins (alongside AU/AAX). Intel Mac and VST2 are both officially deprecated/legacy tech. It is beyond insane if anyone at RS thinks they can twiddle their thumbs for much longer while the entire music software world and the entire Mac ecosystem leave them behind. The clock is ticking. I assume RS know this. If they don’t, then, well… not good.
RS slow development pace might be frustrating, but I personally much rather see them taking the time they need to make a stable and working version, rather than quickly releasing an unfinished buggy mess that isn't yet presentable just to get it out there. We all saw how the R12 release went. They pushed it out to the public way too early. Hopefully they learned from that and instead release the new implementations when they're ready and not before then. They're gonna get flack either way. Release unfinished stuff. People will complain. Wait longer before release. People will complain.
”Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great.” Quote by RT user stillifegaijin.

User avatar
QVprod
Moderator
Posts: 3277
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 05 Sep 2022

Worth it to bring into perspective that VST3 and M1 is still a transition a few companies are going through and many of the ones that have it, just put it out in the last few months. NI just recently put out VST3 versions of their plugins and only Kontakt and Guitar rig are native M1 compatible.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 9902
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 05 Sep 2022

MuttReason wrote:
04 Sep 2022
It’s just not tenable to leave M1 support and VST3 until some point, unspecified right now, later in 2023. I mean, I know RS/Props like to take the scenic route to every destination, but I struggle to think of ANY software I now use - not just music software - that hasn’t been updated with a native M1 version. And VST3 is now the de facto plugin standard alongside AU (and AAX) and has been for quite a while. This is not novel cutting edge tech. M1 is THE ONLY platform for every new Mac and VST3 is THE ONLY plugin format used by devs for new and updated plugins (alongside AU/AAX). Intel Mac and VST2 are both officially deprecated/legacy tech. It is beyond insane if anyone at RS thinks they can twiddle their thumbs for much longer while the entire music software world and the entire Mac ecosystem leave them behind. The clock is ticking. I assume RS know this. If they don’t, then, well… not good.
Well they did say by end of the year, so let's wait and see.

That said, here's one comparison:

Ableton Live
- Ableton Live 4 added VST support in 2004.
- VST3 was released in 2008.
- Ableton Live 10.1 added VST3 support in 2019.

That's 11 years after VST3 tech was released while being a DAW that had been hosting VSTs for 15 years at that point.

Reason
- Reason 9.5 added VST support in 2017.
- VST3 support slated to be added end of 2022.

That's 5 years after first adding VST support. I'd say that's not too bad in comparison.

I'm not sure why it took Ableton so long, but it might be that it's not so simple?

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 2212
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 05 Sep 2022

Well, M1 support might only affects a small portion of the user base, so as RS have the usage figures of Win vs. Mac they could simply have set a low priority on this. Especially as Reason 12 is actually already working on those fruity boxes.

MuttReason
Posts: 164
Joined: 28 Jan 2021

Post 05 Sep 2022

joeyluck wrote:
05 Sep 2022
Well they did say by end of the year, so let's wait and see.

That said, here's one comparison:

Ableton Live
- Ableton Live 4 added VST support in 2004.
- VST3 was released in 2008.
- Ableton Live 10.1 added VST3 support in 2019.

That's 11 years after VST3 tech was released while being a DAW that had been hosting VSTs for 15 years at that point.

Reason
- Reason 9.5 added VST support in 2017.
- VST3 support slated to be added end of 2022.

That's 5 years after first adding VST support. I'd say that's not too bad in comparison.

I'm not sure why it took Ableton so long, but it might be that it's not so simple?
That’s an interesting comparison, thanks. But I think the key date here is not when VST3 was released, it was when VST2 became an unsupported legacy product and the world moved on. Ableton were pretty good in that sense, and RS seem behind the curve on that one.

For me, it’s the M1 delay that I find more irritating… but only because I tend not to use plugins in Reason (REs only for me, mostly) and I’m on a Mac and would like to upgrade to M1/M2 at some point but don’t like what I’ve read about the performance hit running Reason under Rosetta. I’ve started the process of going through all the software I use to see if there are native M1 versions available for when I make the switch, and Reason is now the only program on my machine that hasn’t caught the M1 train.

As you say, let’s see what the rest of 2022 brings. But if M1 support drifts backwards well into 2023 (and RS have said it will follow after VST3 IIRC, so it might) then Reason really will be an outlier. Hopefully that won’t happen. But bad if it does.

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 10312
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 06 Sep 2022

MuttReason wrote:
05 Sep 2022
That’s an interesting comparison, thanks. But I think the key date here is not when VST3 was released, it was when VST2 became an unsupported legacy product and the world moved on. Ableton were pretty good in that sense, and RS seem behind the curve on that one.
What’s more interesting to me is why did RS not just go directly to VST3 instead of implementing an already (according to what I’m reading here) nearly deprecated format?
My guess would be because VST3 had something more difficult to implement than VST2, which must have been more straightforward enough to make it logical to get VST2 right away and worry about VST3 later?
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
Neo
Posts: 339
Joined: 21 May 2015
Location: Melbourne Australia

Post 06 Sep 2022

Speaking of VST3.. This came up while reading the forum..

FREE: StudioRack Now Hosts VST3 Plugins by ANY Brand


Sorry gents.. as you were..
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

User avatar
dan_g
Posts: 307
Joined: 28 Sep 2015
Location: Germany

Post 06 Sep 2022

Neo wrote:
06 Sep 2022
Speaking of VST3.. This came up while reading the forum..

FREE: StudioRack Now Hosts VST3 Plugins by ANY Brand


Sorry gents.. as you were..
does this mean i can use StudioRack as a free VST3 Bridge in reason to load vst3 plugins?
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

Latest Release as "dan_g": https://open.spotify.com/track/0sJHC0h2gmLRpisfBWYBlF

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest