Gotta love Reason's back compat.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tobypearce

28 May 2022

I was just listening to a track I made in 2006 (or possibly earlier). I thought I'd search for the original rns file, and when I found it the project opened up immediately. No missing plugins, no missing anything - it sounded the same as it did over 15 years ago.

It didn't even have Thor back then - everything in the track was ReDrum, Subtractor and Malstrom. Whilst the track sounds pretty poor by my standards today, I'm currently musing on how much this has to do with all the fancier plugins -vs- my skills. No doubt it's a bit of both.

I enjoyed the trip down memory lane, enjoying a time when those who used Reason simply enjoyed it. There seems more for folk to moan about these days, but since a track from 15 years ago still opens perfectly, I'd say the core of Reason remains brill!

The track is rough around the edges, but the main trance hook is still nice, so I tried attaching it to this post. It was a little too big, so I put a copy here, just in case someone wants the fun of opening a 2000s trance project:
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/7ac45a ... 004/cdb874.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

mimidancer

29 May 2022

tobypearce wrote:
28 May 2022
I was just listening to a track I made in 2006 (or possibly earlier). I thought I'd search for the original rns file, and when I found it the project opened up immediately. No missing plugins, no missing anything - it sounded the same as it did over 15 years ago.

It didn't even have Thor back then - everything in the track was ReDrum, Subtractor and Malstrom. Whilst the track sounds pretty poor by my standards today, I'm currently musing on how much this has to do with all the fancier plugins -vs- my skills. No doubt it's a bit of both.

I enjoyed the trip down memory lane, enjoying a time when those who used Reason simply enjoyed it. There seems more for folk to moan about these days, but since a track from 15 years ago still opens perfectly, I'd say the core of Reason remains brill!

The track is rough around the edges, but the main trance hook is still nice, so I tried attaching it to this post. It was a little too big, so I put a copy here, just in case someone wants the fun of opening a 2000s trance project:
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/7ac45a ... 004/cdb874.
I love rediscovering old pieces too. They are like old pictures of you. Admittedly I was scared of your link, but if you throw it on SoundCloud I will listen.

avasopht
Competition Winner

29 May 2022

mimidancer wrote:
29 May 2022

I love rediscovering old pieces too. They are like old pictures of you. Admittedly I was scared of your link, but if you throw it on SoundCloud I will listen.
It's just a Reason 12 project.

Aquila

29 May 2022

now try to open a project with a Line6 amp and see how it sounds

avasopht
Competition Winner

29 May 2022

Aquila wrote:
29 May 2022
Many of my tracks from that era suffer from this - especially if you used the full range of Line6 effects such as its compressors and mix console emulations.

dakta

30 May 2022

I have folders on spare hard disks full of projects (almost all incomplete) and half baked ideas from those days

I sift through and yeah, the quality can be terrible (what was I thinking?) but I can totally see the memory lane value

and yes, it all works!

fullforce

30 May 2022

dakta wrote:
30 May 2022
I have folders on spare hard disks full of projects (almost all incomplete) and half baked ideas from those days

I sift through and yeah, the quality can be terrible (what was I thinking?) but I can totally see the memory lane value

and yes, it all works!
Yeah it can be pretty cool, I made some sick basslines back in the day.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

MuttReason

02 Jun 2022

Finally took the plunge yesterday and installed R12. So far.... surprisingly bombproof. Haven't managed to crash it at all, and everything works as advertised. Way better than I expected after the stability problems since launch last year (when I tried R12 first time round and dumped it because.... well, bugs... it was infuriating). Now it feels like the old Reason is back... and I'm having a blast. Fingers crossed R12 remains this stable cos right now I'm a happy camper.

Best thing today has been opening a bunch of Reason user songs I've kept from back in the day when the old Props User Forum allowed us all to publish Reason tracks that everyone could download. The oldest song I have is by Peff ("Eyes Inside") from 2000 using Reason 1.... dropped it into R12 and, bang, there it is... perfect and still sounding great 22 years later. That's pretty bloody awesome.

Faastwalker

02 Jun 2022

I'm usually missing audio files on old stuff. If the tracks had any audio, it's usually missing! Not Reason's fault so much as my crap file organization ability. I always thought it would be something I was good at doing. Turns out I'm totally crap at it! Files everywhere!! :D

avasopht
Competition Winner

04 Jun 2022

Faastwalker wrote:
02 Jun 2022
I'm usually missing audio files on old stuff. If the tracks had any audio, it's usually missing! Not Reason's fault so much as my crap file organization ability. I always thought it would be something I was good at doing. Turns out I'm totally crap at it! Files everywhere!! :D

Oh man, I get that a lot. Especially tracks I made with a friend who had Zero-G refills.

There was also this one time I used a sample from a poorly organized sample library that made it hard for Reason to search for the samples when placed in a different location because it had the same file names in different folders.

So I had to go through every horn sample with the same filename (for every sample) to restore it. Not cool.

EnochLight

05 Jun 2022

avasopht wrote:
29 May 2022
Aquila wrote:
29 May 2022
Many of my tracks from that era suffer from this - especially if you used the full range of Line6 effects such as its compressors and mix console emulations.
Same. To this day, it still irritates the hell out of me. I’ve resorted to opening those projects in Reason 8 and bouncing those tracks to stems just to keep their sound. The Softube replacements just don’t sound as good IMHO, or sound too different from my original intent.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

dioxide

06 Jun 2022

I opened up an old Record document from 2010 this evening to create a pre-master export without master compressors etc. Sounded exactly the same as it did then and opened without any missing anything. The original song is probably even older than that, perhaps 2003? Anyway, Reason is the best for this, incredible. (and yes sometimes my music does take this long to find a home!).

Oberlai

24 Jun 2022

I guess we can't say for sure if there's now a built-in converter that handles old project files, but if there isn't, Reason must have been really well built from the start :)

kitekrazy

24 Jun 2022

I'm not sure why some think this really stands out. I can still load old projects in Bandlab that were made in Sonar 2 and Gigastudio.

Oberlai

25 Jun 2022

kitekrazy wrote:
24 Jun 2022
I'm not sure why some think this really stands out. I can still load old projects in Bandlab that were made in Sonar 2 and Gigastudio.
Because in the world of software (and Apple) there are plenty of examples on the opposite - when an update hits, shit stop working or loading. Reason not only opens old projects but they sound exactly the same, yeah i absolutely love it too :)

Eprom

25 Jun 2022

Oberlai wrote:
25 Jun 2022
kitekrazy wrote:
24 Jun 2022
Because in the world of software (and Apple) there are plenty of examples on the opposite - when an update hits, shit stop working or loading. Reason not only opens old projects but they sound exactly the same, yeah i absolutely love it too :)
You could also argue, that Reason didn't innovate enough over the last years but other companies did. :puf_bigsmile:
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

avasopht
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2022

kitekrazy wrote:
24 Jun 2022
I guess you'd have to go back to the mid-late 00s. Reason was very unique in backwards compatibility

djsmex

25 Jun 2022

I feel reasons backwards support is a good thing not only for memory lane but for colabs with people using older versions. Can this be said for other DAWs like Ableton, ProTools, Cubass etc?
There are a few issues like the discontinued line amps but for those using VSTs, what are the chances of loading a 20 year old project and it still working let alone sound the same?
Just think how difficult it is to share a project that has used old 32bit VSTs you don't own and compare that to sharing a Reason 1 project file with a R12 user.
I still have Reason 4 with ReBirth on an old XP laptop and can load these in R12, without issue.

kitekrazy

25 Jun 2022

avasopht wrote:
25 Jun 2022
kitekrazy wrote:
24 Jun 2022
I guess you'd have to go back to the mid-late 00s. Reason was very unique in backwards compatibility
These were projects made in 2002. This is nothing unique. Where Reason stands out is the instruments were proprietary and weren't removed.

kitekrazy

25 Jun 2022

Oberlai wrote:
25 Jun 2022
kitekrazy wrote:
24 Jun 2022
Because Reason was a proprietary DAW. Usually 3rd party plugins is what causes old projects to fail. Anything I made in Reason 4 will open up unless I used NNXT and moved refills to another directory.

My Oxygen8 v1 is still recognized in Reason.

jlgrimes

26 Jun 2022

kitekrazy wrote:
24 Jun 2022
Yes.

Most DAWS have backwards compatibility.

Its really the VSTS or poor Wave file management that gets people in a bind.

Reason does make the Wave file management pretty easy though but i have often forgot to embed the Wav files.

fullforce

26 Jun 2022

kitekrazy wrote:
25 Jun 2022
Oberlai wrote:
25 Jun 2022

Because Reason was a proprietary DAW. Usually 3rd party plugins is what causes old projects to fail. Anything I made in Reason 4 will open up unless I used NNXT and moved refills to another directory.

That's midi. Duh.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

tobypearce

26 Jun 2022

kitekrazy wrote:
24 Jun 2022
It stands out to me (as the op) because yes, I can load an old project in Logic, but I can be fairly sure that it will have VSTs which are outdated (e.g. 32 bit) and therefore won't load. Of course, if you only used Logic's built in devices then it might open, but who does that? On the other hand, Reason's built in devices are, and will continue to be stellar.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

kitekrazy

27 Jun 2022

fullforce wrote:
26 Jun 2022
kitekrazy wrote:
25 Jun 2022

That's midi. Duh.
No it's not just midi. It's hardware via USB which has it's own driver before most were class complient. It's not unusual for older hardware to be recognized by a DAW.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2022

EnochLight wrote:
05 Jun 2022
avasopht wrote:
29 May 2022

Same. To this day, it still irritates the hell out of me. I’ve resorted to opening those projects in Reason 8 and bouncing those tracks to stems just to keep their sound. The Softube replacements just don’t sound as good IMHO, or sound too different from my original intent.
Yes, still, the projects are not broken and you still can open them without issues.

• Information