Your 3 favorite Reason Studios synths?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Your 3 favorite Reason Studios synths?

Subtractor
40
9%
Malström
27
6%
Thor
65
15%
Monotone
16
4%
Europa
88
21%
Grain
36
9%
Scenic
3
1%
Algoritm
47
11%
Complex-1
30
7%
Parsec
35
8%
Layers
6
1%
Layers Wave Edition
6
1%
Friktion
23
5%
 
Total votes: 422
TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3371
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 12 May 2022

I've probably asked this question before, but either way it's been long enough that I've forgotten about it.

I'm sure there can always be debates about what RS instruments count as synths and not. But these are the RS instruments that I count as synths. So you're just gonna have to live with my subjective selection here. :puf_smile:

Pick your 3 RS favorite synths.
And maybe tell us why you've chosen them (if you want to).

User avatar
deeplink
Posts: 741
Joined: 08 Jul 2020
Location: Dubai / Cape Town

Post 12 May 2022

-Complex-1 because it sounds awesome and is fun to use and experiment with.

-Europa because of the level of control you have regarding the envelope and harmonics

- Thor because I guess I'm used to it, the sound possibilities are pretty broad but still quick n easy to implement and it's like the Swiss army knife in Reason - I used it for a ton of other stuff besides synthesis.
Get Combinators, ReFills and RS Giveaways at the Shared GoogleDrive: [deeplink] Open RS-Project

dakta
Posts: 66
Joined: 30 Aug 2021

Post 12 May 2022

Europa because it sounds great to me,

Both the layers because after getting it I had a play with it, forgot about it but when i finally re-found it it was quite good and ended up using it a lot

Steedus
Posts: 727
Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Location: Melbourne, AU

Post 12 May 2022

I'm not a synth-head - I mostly load patches and tweak 1 or 2 knobs. But I think Europa is genuinely one of the best devices released by RS in probably 10 years.

Feel a bit sorry for Scenic. Seemed to come and go from people's minds in an instant. They never even bothered to do a user manual.

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 3726
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Fanboy Shill

Post 12 May 2022

Steedus wrote:
12 May 2022

Feel a bit sorry for Scenic. Seemed to come and go from people's minds in an instant. They never even bothered to do a user manual.
Seems like it came and went from RS' mind, too. That's pretty brutal to not even write a manual. ha ha ha
I laughed when I saw Scenic with no votes. Tough competition, so it's well deserved. I wonder how it would fare in a three-way contest against Rob Papen Attention and Robotic Bean Cowbell.

I picked Friktion, Algo and Parsec. I almost went with Thor instead of Parsec because Thor is so amazing (and such a Swiss Army knife.. I mean it really does a lot as a synth AND as a utility). In fact, I'm starting to regret my decision as I write this, but the Parsec patches Tritone recently shared with us has got me on a Parsec kick right now. Frik and Aglo are the shiny, new toys in my rack, so maybe that's why I picked them. I think they will stand the test of time. Speaking of, big shout out to Thor, Subractor, and Malstrom.

I need to spend more time working with Complex-1. It makes me mad that it's monophonic, bUt At LeAsT iT's GoT a MaNuAl.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.
Image
ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

robussc
Posts: 17
Joined: 03 May 2022

Post 14 May 2022

Europa, Grain and Monotone for me. I love that their simple UIs and big sounds. So easy to tweak to dial in the perfect tone or reset the device, start from scratch and get something playable very quickly.

Mimic has become my new favorite sample playback device, again nice and intuitive UI.
Reason user since about version 2! Getting back into making music after too long a hiatus.

User avatar
BRIGGS
Posts: 1874
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Location: Orange County California

Post 14 May 2022

Only 3? : (

you make kitty sad

Image

:lol:
r11s

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 9680
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 15 May 2022

I think Scenic would be much better with a more intuitive workflow and slightly reworked UI. It's got a lot of potential under the hood, but the UI is clunky. There's things you can't view at the same time and then there are redundancies to make up for the sort of gimmicky main page.

My suggestion is to move the macros into a panel, just like the other panels for editing. That way you can feel more at home in one 'main page' and view more things at once. Yes, you can currently view macros from the "master section", but that is not intuitive and just another redundancy.

These redundancies wouldn't be necessary and you wouldn't need the edit button:

Scenic workflow fix.png


This is an idea of what it could sort of look like (if wanting to keep the same macro look):

Scenic suggestion.png

I don't see why the macros can't then be labeled from that screen.

The other BIG thing in my opinion is how the macros are assigned manually from the mod matrix. That extra macro panel in the master section is only for labeling and adjusting the same controls. I guess it's also for assigning automation from the device (which is another quirk of the oddball macros I guess).

I consider that a big deal because the entire device is built around the monstrous main screen and the three macros. So assigning them should be the slickest part of the GUI. They should look at how Speo appraoched doing macros for Tribute. Something like this could be added to the right side of the macros panel.

Tribute Macro Assign.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

strangers
Posts: 676
Joined: 06 Mar 2017
Location: NJ

Post 15 May 2022

1. Parsec2 - Very user friendly and easy to dial in. I reach for this RE the most.
2. Complex-1 - I don't fully understand this synth yet but it's a whole lot of fun to experiment with and sounds great in the process. I can dial in some really wild sounds that are perfect for the darker music I've been working on lately.
3. Europa - Similar to Parsec2. Very easy to dial in and pretty hard to NOT get good sounds out of.

User avatar
SebAudio
Posts: 238
Joined: 08 Mar 2015

Post 16 May 2022

joeyluck wrote:
15 May 2022
I think Scenic would be much better with a more intuitive workflow and slightly reworked UI. It's got a lot of potential under the hood, but the UI is clunky. There's things you can't view at the same time and then there are redundancies to make up for the sort of gimmicky main page.

My suggestion is to move the macros into a panel, just like the other panels for editing. That way you can feel more at home in one 'main page' and view more things at once. Yes, you can currently view macros from the "master section", but that is not intuitive and just another redundancy.

These redundancies wouldn't be necessary and you wouldn't need the edit button:


Scenic workflow fix.png



This is an idea of what it could sort of look like (if wanting to keep the same macro look):


Scenic suggestion.png


I don't see why the macros can't then be labeled from that screen.

The other BIG thing in my opinion is how the macros are assigned manually from the mod matrix. That extra macro panel in the master section is only for labeling and adjusting the same controls. I guess it's also for assigning automation from the device (which is another quirk of the oddball macros I guess).

I consider that a big deal because the entire device is built around the monstrous main screen and the three macros. So assigning them should be the slickest part of the GUI. They should look at how Speo appraoched doing macros for Tribute. Something like this could be added to the right side of the macros panel.


Tribute Macro Assign.png
I agree. With Scenic they’ve gone too much to be trending. A lot of new vst go without being to « hardware looking » and it seems RS went that route and it’s not ok. It reminds me of Parsec : v1 UI was bad and not in line with « hardware rack » Reason is famous for. V2 just made it joyful to look at and use ! Let’s hope there’ll be a v2 for Scenic !
A great, if not the greatest, example of a very good UI is Complex-1 ! Not a single tab ! It’s beautiful and sounds marvelously different (or not when you want) !

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 2286
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: Bajo del mar...

Post 16 May 2022

I put Grain but is that really a synth?
I'm sure I've had this conversation (argument) already but it loads samples. It's a sampler, right?
At least that's how I use it...
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

User avatar
BRIGGS
Posts: 1874
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Location: Orange County California

Post 16 May 2022

plaamook wrote:
16 May 2022
I put Grain but is that really a synth?
I'm sure I've had this conversation (argument) already but it loads samples. It's a sampler, right?
At least that's how I use it...
Grain isn't a synth, or a sampler....

It's a chameleon. :puf_smile:

Image
r11s

User avatar
Jagwah
Posts: 2248
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 17 May 2022

Europa, Algoritm, Subtractor. :)
:reason: It's all about the plo, yo.

User avatar
Skullture
Posts: 572
Joined: 17 Nov 2015

Post 18 May 2022

To this day, I'm still in love with Parsec. It can make so many sick sounds. I still make a lot of patches for it.

Grain and Malström are my other two picks.

Nielsen
Posts: 97
Joined: 05 Nov 2017
Location: Denmark

Post 18 May 2022

I definitely wasn't going to vote for the discontinued PX7, but shouldn't it be a poll option?

Anyway, Thor, Europa and Parsec for me.

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3371
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 18 May 2022

Nielsen wrote:
18 May 2022
I definitely wasn't going to vote for the discontinued PX7, but shouldn't it be a poll option?
Yep I forgot about PX7. But too late now. Once a poll has started there's no way of changing it without removing all the votes.

User avatar
arnigretar
Posts: 241
Joined: 15 May 2020
Location: Iceland

Post 18 May 2022

Subtractor, Malström and Thor..very basic from me :)

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3371
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 18 May 2022

I picked Europa, Parsec and Algoritm.

User avatar
mjxl
Posts: 578
Joined: 23 Nov 2018

Post 18 May 2022

I picked Europa, Complex1 and Algoritm. I'd like to pick Grain too though..

User avatar
Rising Night Wave
Posts: 769
Joined: 03 Sep 2019
Location: Vransko, Slovenia

Post 18 May 2022

Potato, Granato and a Banana :D haha

Okey, i voted for Thor, Monotone and Europa.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro x64 | Reason 10 | Reason+ | NCH WavePad Masters Edition

thedude
Posts: 83
Joined: 08 May 2021

Post 22 May 2022

i am actually surprised that europa edges out thor, but then again, it was sort of an evolution of thor so i get it.

I'm pleasantly surprised that after all these years, Thor still stands up pretty well to many synths - provided you don't drive the filter and resonance too hard.

User avatar
SebAudio
Posts: 238
Joined: 08 Mar 2015

Post 22 May 2022

thedude wrote:
22 May 2022
i am actually surprised that europa edges out thor, but then again, it was sort of an evolution of thor so i get it.

I'm pleasantly surprised that after all these years, Thor still stands up pretty well to many synths - provided you don't drive the filter and resonance too hard.
Thor is great but it is, in some areas, outperformed by a lot of synths for the very reason you said : extreme settings.
I don’t think Europa is an evolution of Thor (it lacks cross modulation between oscillators for example) but it sounds better than it.
I’d be very happy if RS’d released a semi-modular Thor-like synth with the quality of Europa and Compelx-1, both sounds and UI.

robussc
Posts: 17
Joined: 03 May 2022

Post 22 May 2022

thedude wrote:
22 May 2022
i am actually surprised that europa edges out thor, but then again, it was sort of an evolution of thor so i get it.

I'm pleasantly surprised that after all these years, Thor still stands up pretty well to many synths - provided you don't drive the filter and resonance too hard.
When they introduced Europa they talked about it being an effort to do a fresh take on a Thor-style synth. To me it's 100% more usable because the UI is so intuitive. A lot of Thor is invisible until you reveal the particular modules UI.

And I love the sounds Europa produces.
Reason user since about version 2! Getting back into making music after too long a hiatus.

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 3726
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Fanboy Shill

Post 22 May 2022

SebAudio wrote:
16 May 2022
joeyluck wrote:
15 May 2022
I think Scenic would be much better with a more intuitive workflow and slightly reworked UI. It's got a lot of potential under the hood, but the UI is clunky. There's things you can't view at the same time and then there are redundancies to make up for the sort of gimmicky main page.

My suggestion is to move the macros into a panel, just like the other panels for editing. That way you can feel more at home in one 'main page' and view more things at once. Yes, you can currently view macros from the "master section", but that is not intuitive and just another redundancy.

These redundancies wouldn't be necessary and you wouldn't need the edit button:


Scenic workflow fix.png



This is an idea of what it could sort of look like (if wanting to keep the same macro look):


Scenic suggestion.png


I don't see why the macros can't then be labeled from that screen.

The other BIG thing in my opinion is how the macros are assigned manually from the mod matrix. That extra macro panel in the master section is only for labeling and adjusting the same controls. I guess it's also for assigning automation from the device (which is another quirk of the oddball macros I guess).

I consider that a big deal because the entire device is built around the monstrous main screen and the three macros. So assigning them should be the slickest part of the GUI. They should look at how Speo appraoched doing macros for Tribute. Something like this could be added to the right side of the macros panel.


Tribute Macro Assign.png
I agree. With Scenic they’ve gone too much to be trending. A lot of new vst go without being to « hardware looking » and it seems RS went that route and it’s not ok. It reminds me of Parsec : v1 UI was bad and not in line with « hardware rack » Reason is famous for. V2 just made it joyful to look at and use ! Let’s hope there’ll be a v2 for Scenic !
A great, if not the greatest, example of a very good UI is Complex-1 ! Not a single tab ! It’s beautiful and sounds marvelously different (or not when you want) !
If they released Scene V2, would anybody pay the $39 upgrade price? I likely wouldn't.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.
Image
ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

User avatar
dvdrtldg
Posts: 1891
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 23 May 2022

1: Europa, it's just so fast and versatile and deep and tweakable and beautifully designed. You can dial in a great sounding patch in no time at all, or spend half a day playing around with one oscillator

2: Friktion, I'm surprised there aren't more votes for it. It's so much more than a string modelling instrument, in fact in some ways I think it performs better as an oddball "organic" sounding synth than as an acoustic instrument emulator. The palette of expressive, useable sounds you can get out of it is quite amazing (it's a bit like Robotic Bean's Resonans in that respect - another physical modelling instrument that *can* do realistic bells and woodblocks and string plucks, but really comes into its own when you start getting weird & freaky with it)

3: Thor, because it's such a solid workhorse, the backbone of countless tracks. People are right to point out that in some ways it's been superseded by more impressive instruments, but Thor still holds its own as a great sounding synth more than a decade after it first appeared

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Google [Bot], Steedus, Trendiction [Bot], WaxTrax and 1 guest