Reason 12.2.6 Release Notes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
Arrant
Posts: 492
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 14 May 2022

sublunar wrote:
14 May 2022
Arrant wrote:
13 May 2022


Hardly. That drag-and-freeze bug on its own - if it's truly completely fixed - is HUGE.
It was a total dealbreaker.
OK but it only affected v12 users, right? Not a problem for those of us not on v12.
Correct :thumbs_up:

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 3141
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 14 May 2022

sublunar wrote:
14 May 2022
But still it kills me because I have a long love affair with Reason going back to v1 but they never had audio recording until v6 (which was a painfully stupid feature to not have for so long) and how long did it take for them to introduce audio cross fades after that?
What's strange is that it had crossfades from the outset (but only via the multiple-clip arranger edit mode).

You could always access crossfades by merging audio tracks.

There are other features that are technically implemented and available in one mode, but not made available where IMO it would matter the most.
---

User avatar
sublunar
Posts: 465
Joined: 27 Apr 2017

Post 14 May 2022

avasopht wrote:
14 May 2022
sublunar wrote:
14 May 2022
But still it kills me because I have a long love affair with Reason going back to v1 but they never had audio recording until v6 (which was a painfully stupid feature to not have for so long) and how long did it take for them to introduce audio cross fades after that?
What's strange is that it had crossfades from the outset (but only via the multiple-clip arranger edit mode).

You could always access crossfades by merging audio tracks.

There are other features that are technically implemented and available in one mode, but not made available where IMO it would matter the most.
Yeah and the comp edit or whatever it's called is the dumbest thing. I love Reason but these little things have become bigger and more annoying as time has dragged on. Death by a thousand cuts. Anyway, no more ranting from me.

Stamatz
Posts: 65
Joined: 24 Jan 2019
Location: NY/USA

Post 20 May 2022

Are they ever going to fix the mislabeld port 2 labeled as port 3 on the back of the Dr. Octo Rex?

I know it's really a non issue but the release of R12 with all the graphic issues, you would think they woiuld at least take five minutes to fix that and get it out of the way.

I mean really, how long would it take for someone to change a digit on simple label?
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Presonus Audiobox 96, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 7 5800x 4.7 GHZ, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT, 500GB SSD, 2TB 7200 HD, 500GB SSD:refillpacker:

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 9926
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 20 May 2022

Stamatz wrote:
20 May 2022
Are they ever going to fix the mislabeld port 2 labeled as port 3 on the back of the Dr. Octo Rex?

I know it's really a non issue but the release of R12 with all the graphic issues, you would think they woiuld at least take five minutes to fix that and get it out of the way.

I mean really, how long would it take for someone to change a digit on simple label?
12 years?
Reason12, Win10

Stamatz
Posts: 65
Joined: 24 Jan 2019
Location: NY/USA

Post 20 May 2022

Lol..no seriously Loque. If they gave me the file, I'll fix it and send it back to them..lol

Thanks for the reply Loque:)
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Presonus Audiobox 96, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 7 5800x 4.7 GHZ, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT, 500GB SSD, 2TB 7200 HD, 500GB SSD:refillpacker:

Jac459
Posts: 28
Joined: 29 Mar 2022

Post 25 May 2022

sublunar wrote:
14 May 2022
Arrant wrote:
13 May 2022


Hardly. That drag-and-freeze bug on its own - if it's truly completely fixed - is HUGE.
It was a total dealbreaker.
OK but it only affected v12 users, right? Not a problem for those of us not on v12.
Do you expect updates on v12 affecting v11?
If you are in V11 surely you will be bored by a post on... V12...

Jac459
Posts: 28
Joined: 29 Mar 2022

Post 25 May 2022

As an IT professional myself I really feel bad for the developers working hard on new versions and being welcomed by such bad remarks... When apple is releasing a new iPhone with 1% more battery and 0.3 megapixels more, people are crying of happyness. I don't get it.

It's a shame because it let newcomers reading these lines think that the tool is poor and buggy. I use it on a Windows razer laptop and an m1 and it is rock solid on both cases.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 4194
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 25 May 2022

as someone who also works in the tech industry I don't feel bad for them at all. it's literally their job to deal with this stuff and if it's not up to par they should have to answer for that, just as anyone should if they're doing subpar work.

the Apple examples above are improvements...very small, but even a marginal improvement is an improvement. there are things in Reason that are objectively worse than they were in previous versions, so being critical is fair. newcomers should absolutely see that Reason 12 IS poor and buggy for a lot of users—certainly more so than in prior versions.
I write good music for good people

https://slow-robot.com/
https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Jac459
Posts: 28
Joined: 29 Mar 2022

Post 26 May 2022

guitfnky wrote:
25 May 2022
as someone who also works in the tech industry I don't feel bad for them at all. it's literally their job to deal with this stuff and if it's not up to par they should have to answer for that, just as anyone should if they're doing subpar work.

the Apple examples above are improvements...very small, but even a marginal improvement is an improvement. there are things in Reason that are objectively worse than they were in previous versions, so being critical is fair. newcomers should absolutely see that Reason 12 IS poor and buggy for a lot of users—certainly more so than in prior versions.
Well I respectfully disagree.
First, it is not because it is people's job that they don't deserve fair respect.

Second I am not saying we shouldn't give fair and constructive feedback.
But it has to be constructive. If it is to say full of bugs because you have one label not aligned I think it is just wasting the time of people.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 7863
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 26 May 2022

Jac459 wrote:
26 May 2022
guitfnky wrote:
25 May 2022
as someone who also works in the tech industry I don't feel bad for them at all. it's literally their job to deal with this stuff and if it's not up to par they should have to answer for that, just as anyone should if they're doing subpar work.

the Apple examples above are improvements...very small, but even a marginal improvement is an improvement. there are things in Reason that are objectively worse than they were in previous versions, so being critical is fair. newcomers should absolutely see that Reason 12 IS poor and buggy for a lot of users—certainly more so than in prior versions.
Well I respectfully disagree.
First, it is not because it is people's job that they don't deserve fair respect.

Second I am not saying we shouldn't give fair and constructive feedback.
But it has to be constructive. If it is to say full of bugs because you have one label not aligned I think it is just wasting the time of people.
Again…do you have R12?
丰2ॐ

Jac459
Posts: 28
Joined: 29 Mar 2022

Post 26 May 2022

MrFigg wrote:
26 May 2022
Jac459 wrote:
26 May 2022


Well I respectfully disagree.
First, it is not because it is people's job that they don't deserve fair respect.

Second I am not saying we shouldn't give fair and constructive feedback.
But it has to be constructive. If it is to say full of bugs because you have one label not aligned I think it is just wasting the time of people.
Again…do you have R12?
Are you asking me? Yes I do have R12 and about 40 RE and I love this ecosystem (which is far from perfect).
What I don't have is bugs, (a part from vst scaling which improved recently)

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 7863
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 26 May 2022

Jac459 wrote:
26 May 2022
MrFigg wrote:
26 May 2022


Again…do you have R12?
Are you asking me? Yes I do have R12 and about 40 RE and I love this ecosystem (which is far from perfect).
What I don't have is bugs, (a part from vst scaling which improved recently)
Yes. I was asking you. Great that it's working for you. Problem is that it's not working for a lot of people and that's the reason people are complaining about it. By RS's own admission Reason 12 is far from perfect and they're working on it. We all love Reason, we're here on RT, but when a product is released and sold in an unfinished state then it isn't surprising that customers voice their indignation. I bought the upgrade to R12 the day it came out but due to continuous crashes, graphics issues and a plethora of other bugs I have been forced to revert to using R11. I know of many users who are in the same boat.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 4194
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 26 May 2022

Jac459 wrote:
26 May 2022
guitfnky wrote:
25 May 2022
as someone who also works in the tech industry I don't feel bad for them at all. it's literally their job to deal with this stuff and if it's not up to par they should have to answer for that, just as anyone should if they're doing subpar work.

the Apple examples above are improvements...very small, but even a marginal improvement is an improvement. there are things in Reason that are objectively worse than they were in previous versions, so being critical is fair. newcomers should absolutely see that Reason 12 IS poor and buggy for a lot of users—certainly more so than in prior versions.
Well I respectfully disagree.
First, it is not because it is people's job that they don't deserve fair respect.

Second I am not saying we shouldn't give fair and constructive feedback.
But it has to be constructive. If it is to say full of bugs because you have one label not aligned I think it is just wasting the time of people.
most of the criticism I’ve seen and given has been very respectful. you can call a piece of shit a piece of shit and you’re not disrespecting anyone because it’s an inanimate object.

almost none of the criticism I’ve seen has been directed at any one individual. if I make a bad song, it’s okay for you to tell me the song is bad. it might dent my ego a bit, but saying what you think of the song isn’t disrespectful, even if you put it into very harsh terms.

why does it HAVE to be constructive criticism? it doesn’t. personally, I try to be constructive with my criticisms as often as I can (I fail sometimes, sure—I am human), but no, criticism absolutely does not have to be constructive. people can be frustrated and just vent. as long as they’re not disparaging anyone, we can just disagree and let it go.

you think a misalignment is a minor thing that’s just splitting hairs, but I guess some people think that’s emblematic of a larger issue of quality. perfectly valid. that particular issue doesn’t bother me either, personally, but I do see the fruit of that lack of attention to detail more now in 12 than in any previous version of Reason.
I write good music for good people

https://slow-robot.com/
https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 4194
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 26 May 2022

MrFigg wrote:
26 May 2022
Jac459 wrote:
26 May 2022


Are you asking me? Yes I do have R12 and about 40 RE and I love this ecosystem (which is far from perfect).
What I don't have is bugs, (a part from vst scaling which improved recently)
Yes. I was asking you. Great that it's working for you. Problem is that it's not working for a lot of people and that's the reason people are complaining about it. By RS's own admission Reason 12 is far from perfect and they're working on it. We all love Reason, we're here on RT, but when a product is released and sold in an unfinished state then it isn't surprising that customers voice their indignation. I bought the upgrade to R12 the day it came out but due to continuous crashes, graphics issues and a plethora of other bugs I have been forced to revert to using R11. I know of many users who are in the same boat.
well-said. it’s great that some (many, even) aren’t having issues, but that doesn’t absolve RS of the fact that many of us ARE. I wish I hadn’t updated some of my critical projects to 12—I’d love to go back to 11 for those, but realized too late that I was having too many problems with 12. now it’s a slog to finish them.
I write good music for good people

https://slow-robot.com/
https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Jac459
Posts: 28
Joined: 29 Mar 2022

Post 26 May 2022

Ok 😊.
I fail to be convinced that a critic doesn't need to be constructive but let's not fight on that

If you all think that reason 12 deserves these critics then I will just believe you, you have certainly move historic than I have

Chi-Individual
Posts: 199
Joined: 09 Apr 2020

Post 26 May 2022

guitfnky wrote:
26 May 2022
I wish I hadn’t updated some of my critical projects to 12—I’d love to go back to 11 for those, but realized too late that I was having too many problems with 12. now it’s a slog to finish them.
I actually had a problem where I made changes to a project in R12 before realizing a few bugs. It was actually easy to go back to R11, though tedious as watching paint dry, I just built the same rack again in R11 and Copy/Paste for the next 85hrs between the sequencer, rack and the mixer settings.

Now I label all R12 files with R12 at the end of the name so I know what version to work in.

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 10031
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 26 May 2022

guitfnky wrote:
26 May 2022
if I make a bad song, it’s okay for you to tell me the song is bad. it might dent my ego a bit, but saying what you think of the song isn’t disrespectful, even if you put it into very harsh terms.
While I totally agree with your sentiment, I have to wonder if this is the best example. A song is an emotional expression, and if someone doesn't 'get it' then it's difficult to say"therefore the song is bad".
Software OTOH, has a very specifically defined function (that's why there are user guides for software and not for songs!). If you say hitting command S will save the song, and it does not do so, it's a bug and it's easy to say that is "bad".

In other words, and just to clarify (agreeing with you)…
Criticizing a thing vs a person is indeed totally different, and why Reason Talk allows criticizing things but does not allow ad hominem attacks.
So while I can say "Reason sucks" (and hopefully provide specifics), I cannot say the same about a 'person' here.
That said, there are certainly "more helpful" vs "less helpful" ways to offer criticism, and the degree to which one tries to me more helpful things tend to be more pleasant all around IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 4194
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 26 May 2022

selig wrote:
26 May 2022
guitfnky wrote:
26 May 2022
if I make a bad song, it’s okay for you to tell me the song is bad. it might dent my ego a bit, but saying what you think of the song isn’t disrespectful, even if you put it into very harsh terms.
While I totally agree with your sentiment, I have to wonder if this is the best example. A song is an emotional expression, and if someone doesn't 'get it' then it's difficult to say"therefore the song is bad".
Software OTOH, has a very specifically defined function (that's why there are user guides for software and not for songs!). If you say hitting command S will save the song, and it does not do so, it's a bug and it's easy to say that is "bad".

In other words, and just to clarify (agreeing with you)…
Criticizing a thing vs a person is indeed totally different, and why Reason Talk allows criticizing things but does not allow ad hominem attacks.
So while I can say "Reason sucks" (and hopefully provide specifics), I cannot say the same about a 'person' here.
That said, there are certainly "more helpful" vs "less helpful" ways to offer criticism, and the degree to which one tries to me more helpful things tend to be more pleasant all around IMO.
totally agree. there are definitely better analogies out there to be made—just went with the one that popped into my head at the time.
I write good music for good people

https://slow-robot.com/
https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 7863
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 26 May 2022

guitfnky wrote:
26 May 2022
selig wrote:
26 May 2022


While I totally agree with your sentiment, I have to wonder if this is the best example. A song is an emotional expression, and if someone doesn't 'get it' then it's difficult to say"therefore the song is bad".
Software OTOH, has a very specifically defined function (that's why there are user guides for software and not for songs!). If you say hitting command S will save the song, and it does not do so, it's a bug and it's easy to say that is "bad".

In other words, and just to clarify (agreeing with you)…
Criticizing a thing vs a person is indeed totally different, and why Reason Talk allows criticizing things but does not allow ad hominem attacks.
So while I can say "Reason sucks" (and hopefully provide specifics), I cannot say the same about a 'person' here.
That said, there are certainly "more helpful" vs "less helpful" ways to offer criticism, and the degree to which one tries to me more helpful things tend to be more pleasant all around IMO.
totally agree. there are definitely better analogies out there to be made—just went with the one that popped into my head at the time.
What if it’s a cake instead of a song? Not any fancy cake or anything, just a basic cake but it tastes like soap.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 4194
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 26 May 2022

MrFigg wrote:
26 May 2022
guitfnky wrote:
26 May 2022


totally agree. there are definitely better analogies out there to be made—just went with the one that popped into my head at the time.
What if it’s a cake instead of a song? Not any fancy cake or anything, just a basic cake but it tastes like soap.
not sure in terms of analogies, but that sounds like a great way to feed a dose of punishment to a kid with a dirty mouth. 😆
I write good music for good people

https://slow-robot.com/
https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

User avatar
orthodox
RE Developer
Posts: 2197
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: 55°09'24.5"N 37°27'41.4"E

Post 26 May 2022

MrFigg wrote:
26 May 2022
guitfnky wrote:
26 May 2022


totally agree. there are definitely better analogies out there to be made—just went with the one that popped into my head at the time.
What if it’s a cake instead of a song? Not any fancy cake or anything, just a basic cake but it tastes like soap.
Not fancy? Like soap? What you mean by this analogy?

Stamatz
Posts: 65
Joined: 24 Jan 2019
Location: NY/USA

Post 26 May 2022

I think almost all users know R12 was prematurely launched and not ready for prime time. They advertised it as being ready knowing full well it was not.

It's not just the incorrectly marked label on the back of Dr. Octo Rex, the rack has gaps on the sides of each device which in R11 it didn't. The play/stop button used to be a flat image, now it's has a bulging square within it. Compared to R11, R12 is a graphic UI mess.

I can go on but why bother we all know where it stands. The Dr. Octo Rex should have been Hot Fixed a week after initial realease.

Really, not sure how long it actually takes or what's involved in changing one label but we shouldn't have to wait months for the glaringly obvious errors/bugs to be fixed. Not fixing the easy things right after launch is just screaming LAZINESS~!.

It's a shame too as Reason was my favorite daw and playground, but since R12 it's just doesn't seem fun anymore.

Oh and what happened to all those cool new features, controls and switches that the new combinator was supposed to get? Remember from the livestream, it's a live/fluid device and will be constantly updated. I tihnk they released one update with a few more controls and switches. That's it? Really? That fluid/live device seems kind of dead to me now.

But seriously, you know what gets me most, Reason Studios will move on to R13 before completely fixing R12. I would bet dollars to donuts that's on their roadmap but their not showing that one.

The slowness in bug fixes, especially the easy ones and their focus on new devices and not on fixing the mess they call R12 shows me one thing, they really have not intentions on fixing anything in R12 and more concerned and focused on how soon they can launch R13 in order to generate a new revenue stream.

R13 will be R12-Final, R14 will be R13-Final and we get to beta test each new version for whopping $399.00. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. R13 will not be on my roadmap.

I should have bought R12 with US Bonds and only after purchasing it, emailing Reason Studios saying, well it will mature at some point in the future but I can't tell you when. Here is a flexiable roadmap to which the bonds may or may not reach full maturity and may be subject to change.

PS - Bitwig just sent me $100.00 off coupon to upgrade to full, $259.00 is very tempting and it comes with GRID. I'll have to sleep on that one.
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Presonus Audiobox 96, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 7 5800x 4.7 GHZ, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT, 500GB SSD, 2TB 7200 HD, 500GB SSD:refillpacker:

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 9680
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 26 May 2022

Stamatz wrote:
26 May 2022
It's not just the incorrectly marked label on the back of Dr. Octo Rex, the rack has gaps on the sides of each device which in R11 it didn't.
The gaps are because the rack is wider to accommodate the wider audio/mix channels, which are now wider so that they can house Combinators.

While I think there are certainly other ways they could approach the design, and I've offered suggestions, it is not a bug, it's a design choice.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 7863
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 27 May 2022

orthodox wrote:
26 May 2022
MrFigg wrote:
26 May 2022


What if it’s a cake instead of a song? Not any fancy cake or anything, just a basic cake but it tastes like soap.
Not fancy? Like soap? What you mean by this analogy?
What you expect of it vs what it actually does.
丰2ॐ

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], CommonCrawl [Bot], Google [Bot] and 3 guests