“The Truth about Reason 12” new YouTube video from Kickback Couture

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 May 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
01 May 2022
MrFigg wrote:
30 Apr 2022
HYDLIDE!!!
🏁🏁.0
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 May 2022

Reason still has something.

I can't put my finger on it, but it does.

I respect it more that I've got options like Studio One and Machine installed.

I like playing around with workflows, like running Reason and another DAW standalone with one sound card feeding into another.

Whatever the case is, for all its shortcomings it's got me covered for *something* I just can't quite put my finger on.

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 May 2022

Eddi-16 wrote:
01 May 2022
Why they dont just update the DAW, its so crazy that the marketing make even youtube core customers unhappy.
I have the feeling, that we, the customers, literally get pushed to use other DAWs... Its insane.
Oh, it's just a phase. She'll get over it 🏃‍♂️💨

I've gone through this at least 3 times where I committed to another approach for a year before crawling right back to Reason.

Nowadays I'm a bit more polyamorous though ;)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 May 2022

I CAN’T move from Reason. As a DAW it’s the closest thing I’ll get to real pedals and stuff and the feeling of an advanced multi-track 4 track tape machine. All those other DAWs look too computery and abstract. I don’t need or even want more in Reason except for that they fix the bugs people have been reporting for years before they move on to the next version. I don’t want to have to upgrade from a bug ridden 12 just to get a working Reason.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

01 May 2022

I wonder if there's an element of dependency that drives the kind of loyalty many people have had for Reason. I think that's what kept me so firmly entrenched in the Reason ecosystem for so long.

it's easier to see, in retrospect. it was a weird process, moving on to other DAWs, and recognizing that Reason really isn't any more (or less) inspiring than any other DAW. it's more accessible, initially, but I'm just as motivated to make music as I was in Reason, and just as inspired, whether I'm working in Live, Reaper, or Reason. but I can do more in the two former, do it faster, and with less frustration—and that's why I switched.

but I realized that so much of my past support for Reason was wound up in the slow, steady drip of new features that I actually needed—when that stopped, and they began to focus on things that don't actually improve the DAW, my optimism dried up, and my loyalty. I hope they get things back on track, and start focusing on retaining the user base rather than only trying to pull in new users. I hope they improve the core experience so much it becomes a no brainer to switch back. but at least if they don't, I no longer feel the need to keep giving them money for upgrades that don't actually do anything important.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 May 2022

MrFigg wrote:
01 May 2022
I don’t need or even want more in Reason except for that they fix the bugs people have been reporting for years before they move on to the next version. I don’t want to have to upgrade from a bug ridden 12 just to get a working Reason.
Same.

Would be super awesome if they fixed the Thor bug that gets in the way of using Thor's shapers and causes occasional glitches

And then just refining the workflow a little as there's a lot of more hanging fruit

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 May 2022

guitfnky wrote:
01 May 2022
but I realized that so much of my past support for Reason was wound up in the slow, steady drip of new features that I actually needed—when that stopped, and they began to focus on things that don't actually improve the DAW, my optimism dried up, and my loyalty. I hope they get things back on track, and start focusing on retaining the user base rather than only trying to pull in new users. I hope they improve the core experience so much it becomes a no brainer to switch back. but at least if they don't, I no longer feel the need to keep giving them money for upgrades that don't actually do anything important.
Yeah, it felt like 6.5 was the last time.

APE and Recycle functionality were great too, and I do sometimes wonder whether they've dropped the ball, or it's more an issue of misdirected attention and neglect of much needed fixes and features that are low hanging fruit.

Browser search speed is my biggest bugbear because it's so easy to improve and I've no idea why it's so slow (but do have a good theory on what they might be doing wrong).

I have a sense of loyalty because Reason has been a huge part of my life for 20 years. I can open old projects and be brought right back to those moments. It's also where I honed my skills via the rack with the help of the Reason community.

It's also where my collaborations happened. I've so many memories with Reason. There's a few mixtapes I've recorded over my first Reason beats.

There are rap groups I partnered with over my Reason beats.

Lots of history and memories (especially all the Sonic discoveries and the progression I can see in my archives).

And while I'm comfortable with other DAWS, I just feel like I'm missing the rack more than I feel that I'm missing many core DAW features when I'm using Reason.

Nowadays I do like to start in Maschine and then bring it into Reason as separates though.

EnochLight

01 May 2022

Jelie brings you some interesting points, but she’s being plain disingenuous claiming RS “promised” anything by a certain date. Also, I never found her Companion preset packs interesting.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

orthodox
RE Developer

01 May 2022

EnochLight wrote:
01 May 2022
Also, I never found her Companion preset packs interesting.
How does this add to the case?

Creativemind

01 May 2022

MrFigg wrote:
30 Apr 2022
HYDLIDE!!!
Yeah, what did actually go on with Hydlide and Propellerhead / Reason Studio's?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

01 May 2022

plaamook wrote:
30 Apr 2022
But yeah. Pull your foot out props. Stop w the gimmick junk (players and content and shit) and take reason to the next level (rebuild the sequencer).
:thumbs_up:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 May 2022

Creativemind wrote:
01 May 2022
MrFigg wrote:
30 Apr 2022
HYDLIDE!!!
I don't really know but I miss him. Love that Dutch accent. "Just saying" as Hydlide would just say. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EnochLight

01 May 2022

orthodox wrote:
01 May 2022
Just my opinion. I’ll be curious if we continue to see new packs show up from her in Companion. Maybe she’s salty because they aren’t asking for any content from her anymore?

Anyway, I’m not trying to add anything to any case.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

WOO

01 May 2022

After the very public shaming by this young lady maybe they'll surprise us with some "very good" :clap: may madness deals.

arnigretar

01 May 2022

MrFigg wrote:
01 May 2022
Creativemind wrote:
01 May 2022

I don't really know but I miss him. Love that Dutch accent. "Just saying" as Hydlide would just say. :)
Yeah. That Dutch accent. Hopefully again! Still... his CV videos/tutorials are still online for people to check out.

But to stay on this topic... I understand many are experiencing problems. Not good. Of course not. But some don't experience it. So we are good. If things were unstable when I was writing music in Reason, I would go mad. So I understand some people are not happy. But then again... I don't need vst3, nor do I need sequencer improvements. But some want that.
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 May 2022

EnochLight wrote:
01 May 2022
orthodox wrote:
01 May 2022
Just my opinion. I’ll be curious if we continue to see new packs show up from her in Companion. Maybe she’s salty because they aren’t asking for any content from her anymore?

Anyway, I’m not trying to add anything to any case.
Just sounded like she's reflecting openly.

She only said she's going to try other things out, not that she's done with it so it never came off as salty to me.

We should always be careful when we try to read too deeply into someone's intentions.

People do it with me a lot and are almost always wrong.

There were some errors in some of the things she shared, which is understandable because there's a lot to follow and unless you're on RT you're not quite going to be in the loop IMO.

Creativemind

01 May 2022

Heigen5 wrote:
30 Apr 2022
Is it me or do lots of the people ask for improvements that ain't that big of a 'game-changers'?
The biggest game-changer regarding Reason are the users themselves imo.
And I don't get the logic, so if Reason 5 was already a dream-tool to make music with, than why ain't Reason 12 for million times even more?
Because time's change and software evolves. A car could still get you from A-B in the 90's but I doubt they'd sell many now without built in Bluetooth, airbags and electric windows.

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 May 2022

MrFigg wrote:
01 May 2022
Creativemind wrote:
01 May 2022

He was a legend.

IIRC I think he wasn't happy with the direction they were going in. Maybe it was R+. I can't quite recall.

Could have been something else completely

Creativemind

01 May 2022

flexluthor wrote:
30 Apr 2022
I agree with this guy.
Lol, in the video? it's a woman. :lol:

Heigen5

01 May 2022

Creativemind wrote:
01 May 2022
Heigen5 wrote:
30 Apr 2022
Is it me or do lots of the people ask for improvements that ain't that big of a 'game-changers'?
And I don't get the logic, so if Reason 5 was already a dream-tool to make music with, than why ain't Reason 12 for million times even more?
Because time's change and software evolves. A car could still get you from A-B in the 90's but I doubt they'd sell many now without built in Bluetooth, airbags and electric windows.
IMO Reason is the coolest car of them all though. :thumbup:

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

01 May 2022

I agree with her. I like Reason but I find it hard to recommend it to anyone when it’s taken this long to get things like track folders, show/hide, punch-in, type-in values, multiple cable inputs/outputs (think Complex, but in the rack), collapsible Players, etc. That kind of stuff isn’t even innovation. Just basic quality-of-life stuff.

groggy1

01 May 2022

I sorta hope the next few years are cool innovations rather than just simple REs, so I get her point.

Where I disagree a bit: I’ve wanted midi vst support too. When players first came out, I was annoyed because I thought “they’re forcing me to buy their midi players rather than just letting me use all the vst midi that already exists!”

But if I look back at the last few years of using players: they’re a JOY to use for me. So easy to stack them. They fit into the workflow so nicely. Can save them in a combinator. Etc.

So, on Players at least: Props did something really cool even though it initially pushed me off.

Anyway, I just want them to not fold. Yes, id love some specific improvements, but I’m ok with reason being “different” than the feature-race of the other daws

crimsonwarlock

01 May 2022

Creativemind wrote:
01 May 2022
A car could still get you from A-B in the 90's but I doubt they'd sell many now without built in Bluetooth, airbags and electric windows.
You're wrong, secretly we all still want a DeLorean :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

guitfnky

01 May 2022

I definitely don't think they're in danger of folding. I think they're probably doing just fine. it's just that they don't really do right by many of their existing users anymore, IMO. I used to love and respect Propellerhead (as much as one can love and respect a company)--I really felt like they genuinely cared about their users. it doesn't feel that way anymore. just another corporate entity selling a product nowadays. they'll do fine, but they've lost a lot of us users who would actively advocate for friends to start using Reason.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

plaamook

01 May 2022

Creativemind wrote:
01 May 2022
Heigen5 wrote:
30 Apr 2022
My Toyota Yaris has nothing fancy but I can stuff it full of gear, fix it ish, and it gets killer mileage. If I had to choose between a new fancy car and my Yaris magically renewed...Yaris without question.
Don’t know what that says about daws. Prob says more about my declining satisfaction w tech.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

• Information