Do you think the nowday's Reason is too CPU-heavy?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jac459

01 Jun 2022

Popey wrote:
01 Jun 2022
I know you asked adfielding to respond but just my opinion on Serum vs antidote etc is that serum workflow is quicker and modulation options/possibilities are vast. Better is subjective as the re's you mention are quality but as someone who has all of these I tend to usually use serum when creating sounds.

Although not advertised with serum you get lifetime updates and also future serum versions. The developer is on with serum 2 now so if this gets released at some point would be free too. I am not sure if you can trial serum but I am a big fan of this synth. Potential other option is the free vital synth which is similar but I prefer serum of the 2.
Thanks a lot for the feedback and useful tips, it does help.
So I should understand it is working with reason 12 correct? I am asking because I bought ozone and it doesn't. Fortunately it works standalone but I wouldn't do that for serum.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Popey
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2022

Jac459 wrote:
01 Jun 2022
Popey wrote:
01 Jun 2022
I know you asked adfielding to respond but just my opinion on Serum vs antidote etc is that serum workflow is quicker and modulation options/possibilities are vast. Better is subjective as the re's you mention are quality but as someone who has all of these I tend to usually use serum when creating sounds.

Although not advertised with serum you get lifetime updates and also future serum versions. The developer is on with serum 2 now so if this gets released at some point would be free too. I am not sure if you can trial serum but I am a big fan of this synth. Potential other option is the free vital synth which is similar but I prefer serum of the 2.
Thanks a lot for the feedback and useful tips, it does help.
So I should understand it is working with reason 12 correct? I am asking because I bought ozone and it doesn't. Fortunately it works standalone but I wouldn't do that for serum.
Ah sorry I am on reason 11 so did not mention anything about that as I do not know I am afraid.

I was just providing my opinion on how it compares to antidote etc and if I thought it was worth getting (it is imo)

Jac459

01 Jun 2022

Popey wrote:
01 Jun 2022
I was just providing my opinion on how it compares to antidote etc and if I thought it was worth getting (it is imo)
... And it is very much appreciated sir 😊😊.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

jjpscott01

01 Jun 2022

Not sure what everyone's setups are but Reason 12 is the most cpu efficient DAW I use outside of Reaper. Obviously opening it up to VST's a couple years ago made it use a little more cpu but after a couple of updates its been running as smooth as can be. I'm running Windows 10 with a Ryzen 3600 and 16 Gb of Ram so nothing too fancy but I can use tons of RE's and VST's and haven't run into any issues.
| REASON 12 | BITWIG 5 | CUBASE 13 | SSL2+ | AUDIENT ID4 | ERIS E5 MONITORS | ESP LTD TE-212 | MXL MICS | LES PAUL TRADITIONAL PRO II | NEKTAR T4 |[/color] :reason: :re: :PUF_balance: :refill:

Propellerhands

02 Jun 2022

Compared to Ableton, Reason always used at around 30-50 percent less CPU resources. Earlier version without VST support even didn't go above 15 percent CPU usage for me. That's one of the Reason's I never made a switch to Ableton.

A bit unrelated thing:

But current problem with Reason Sequencer is that if I make a Combinator (always do it to save space in a rack), add mixer, add synth and want to automate a filter frequency of the synth, in my sequencer appears Combinator track (which is normal) and the track for that synth with automation. So it takes up twice as much space.

Is there a possibility to group this stuff at least without binding Synth Filter to Combinator knob and then automating the Knob?
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

moofi

02 Jun 2022

You could use the insert area of a mixerchannel to save space, so you would still have access to the device´ parameter in the sequencer.
Propellerhands wrote:
02 Jun 2022
Compared to Ableton, Reason always used at around 30-50 percent less CPU resources. Earlier version without VST support even didn't go above 15 percent CPU usage for me. That's one of the Reason's I never made a switch to Ableton.

A bit unrelated thing:

But current problem with Reason Sequencer is that if I make a Combinator (always do it to save space in a rack), add mixer, add synth and want to automate a filter frequency of the synth, in my sequencer appears Combinator track (which is normal) and the track for that synth with automation. So it takes up twice as much space.

Is there a possibility to group this stuff at least without binding Synth Filter to Combinator knob and then automating the Knob?

Re8et
Competition Winner

07 Jun 2022

Loque wrote:
30 Apr 2022
The truth (lol) is, that when i use only stock synths and fx of old times, I can add a trillion of them in my project before the CPU starts wheezing.
Yeah, I can run pretty anything on my dual core i3, maybe even an advanced delay fx, for as long as it is stock.
Scrolling sometime is still glitchy, need to use the preview rack to get around. Intel Gpu, lol.

Oberlai

24 Jun 2022

Are you running numerous different VSTs + highres devices? Both add to CPU usage but also applies factors that are out of Reason's hands. I don't use any VSTs as R+ already gives me way more than I need, don't think I'm ever anywhere near my CPU's limits.

petecampbell

18 Aug 2022

Yeah its quite CPU heavy. I have a pretty Nice Mac Studio m1 Max and notice only a slight difference in performance while the hardware is more than a quadruple of my previous computer.

miscend

26 Aug 2022

Reasons uses lots of CPU power compared to Reaper and even Cubase when you use lots of VST plugins. But when you stick to stock plugins (not including 3rd party rack extensions), the CPU is not far from older versions of Reason like 5.0.

My advice would be to mostly use stock synths and fx. Only use VST synths and effects sparingly.

tomusurp

30 Aug 2022

64gb sounds good, I also read the amount of "cores" is the most important when it comes to running music production software

to be honest, I have 16gb ram, 6-core gaming laptop from 2019. It really has been a beast and best I've bought so far, but for my mastering sometimes the Reason project will get CPU-heavy and the sound breaks up. There are workarounds though, typically when I increase the buffer it works fine or in worst case scenarios when the project is really dense, I'll bounce group buss stems to a new project once I know they are ready, and then I can run my big plugins flawlessly
ltbrunt00 wrote:
03 May 2022
I may be in the minority, a few months ago I built a new computer. Intel Core i5 12600k, 64GB of memory and Reason runs flawlessly. All my problems of the past are no longer a issue. I wish I would have built a system like this years ago. I would recommend anyone serious about their music and who can afford it build a system like this. I now can have multiple Reason projects loaded up without having my computer grind to a halt.
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/@usurptom
https://www.usurptom.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

• Information