How to make modern Reason sound like 4

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

28 Apr 2022

The only difference we found depends on how hard you drive the outputs, but this is an extreme test and not the norm.

We did a test a while back where R4 could stack say 8x Maximizers on a zero dB Sinewave, all maxed out (input up max, output up max, no limiter just pure gain) and when you added a 9th the signal sounded no different to 8 maxed out = 'internal' digital ceiling hit at 8x (so if in and out are both +12dB then final audio level internally would be equivalent to +192dB above zero for 8x, and even though unit 9 was there, you still only got a max of +192dB above zero)

When doing the same in later Reason versions (likely 6.5 upwards, we can't recall which but we know we did this in a SSL-desk version of Reason) you could add a lot more Maximizers (think something like 18 or a couple more), so you have a much higher 'internal' headroom compared to R4, before again you hit that theoretical 'internal' ceiling (18 x +12dB x 2 = +432dB above zero dB). Just means in newer versions you had a shitload of headroom so gain staging or level drops can 'save' those digital clip points if you driven devices quite hard for effect.

Other than this difference you would get the same signal - there's no colouration from version to version, which is what you want really, only the ability now to have higher internal headroom before hitting the final main outputs

Just our thrupenny-bit :D

mimidancer

28 Apr 2022

mickeysternum wrote:
27 Apr 2022
Hi there, years ago i used Reason 4 and contrary to what seems to be the opinion of a lot of people I absolutely loved the sound of it. I now use Reason 10 but for me it's too clean and doesn't have the same kind of 'chunkiness' to the sound. I was wondering if there is some kind of setting I can select to make it sound like 4 did? Thank you

There are so many devices in reason to "dirty up" your sound. Pulverizer was made for this. You might also like Audiomatic Retro Transformer (ART). If that does not work run your audio into UMpF for some flat nasty tape compression. In VSTs I'd recommend Mello Fi by Arturia some dumper full of baby diapers nastiness. I'd be completely remiss if I did not mention sound toy's decapitator. Back to reason devices don't ever underestimate scream.

selig
RE Developer

28 Apr 2022

kooshan wrote:
27 Apr 2022
mickeysternum wrote:
27 Apr 2022
Hi there, years ago i used Reason 4 and contrary to what seems to be the opinion of a lot of people I absolutely loved the sound of it. I now use Reason 10 but for me it's too clean and doesn't have the same kind of 'chunkiness' to the sound. I was wondering if there is some kind of setting I can select to make it sound like 4 did? Thank you
Hi , you are not alone . I’ve had the exact same experience like you . Testing side by side , obvious as daylight . But …. What is causing it ? Not really sure . It’s certainly mix of couple of things …

I even started to make some new songs on Reason 4 since a year ago and surprisingly they sounded different than the ones I made on versions 5,6,7,8,9,10 and 11.

Could be the mix decisions , gui , limited devices and ….

But I’m pretty sure above all there is a distinct sound difference specially on the high frequecies which in Reason 4 it’s lacking on some areas compared to other versions.

I have to mention that this is just happening with version 4 . All other versions of reason sound the same with no difference. So if you guys believe that I’m just imagining it , it’s just the case with version 4 .
Got files? Im always in ‘test mode’ myself, and I’m very curious when folks make such bold claims that fly in the face of everything I’ve experienced. I want to be sure I’ve not missed anything!
My testing shows none of what you describe, certainly no difference in high frequency response. How did you compare “side by side”? Did you run two versions of Reason at the same time, did you use one version of Reason (or other?) to load audio files? Or did you use analysis software to compare frequency/phase/distortion responses (my personal favorite)? How different were the two, how many dB loss of high frequencies did you measure?
Sorry for all the questions, I’ve been deep in this rabbit hole for years…
Selig Audio, LLC

thx

28 Apr 2022

Google [ synesthesia musicians ]. It's probably cause Reason 4 looked all lo-fi that it sounded like that.

arnigretar

28 Apr 2022

I have Reason v1 installed and up- and running on my iMac G3. I also have 4 and 5 on one of my windows 7 machines. If you are using Redrum, Subtractor, NN19 and same samples, etc. etc. -- It sounds the same as it does in Reason 12.
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

kooshan

29 Apr 2022

selig wrote:
28 Apr 2022
kooshan wrote:
27 Apr 2022

Hi , you are not alone . I’ve had the exact same experience like you . Testing side by side , obvious as daylight . But …. What is causing it ? Not really sure . It’s certainly mix of couple of things …

I even started to make some new songs on Reason 4 since a year ago and surprisingly they sounded different than the ones I made on versions 5,6,7,8,9,10 and 11.

Could be the mix decisions , gui , limited devices and ….

But I’m pretty sure above all there is a distinct sound difference specially on the high frequecies which in Reason 4 it’s lacking on some areas compared to other versions.

I have to mention that this is just happening with version 4 . All other versions of reason sound the same with no difference. So if you guys believe that I’m just imagining it , it’s just the case with version 4 .
Got files? Im always in ‘test mode’ myself, and I’m very curious when folks make such bold claims that fly in the face of everything I’ve experienced. I want to be sure I’ve not missed anything!
My testing shows none of what you describe, certainly no difference in high frequency response. How did you compare “side by side”? Did you run two versions of Reason at the same time, did you use one version of Reason (or other?) to load audio files? Or did you use analysis software to compare frequency/phase/distortion responses (my personal favorite)? How different were the two, how many dB loss of high frequencies did you measure?
Hi selig
I’ve been using Reason exclusively since 2001 and this is the only time I’m experiencing such issue.I’ve always had Reason 4 and whatever the latest version has been installed on my desktop simultaneaosly .Comparing those when playing the same song(made on Reason 4) it appeared that Reason 4 always sounded a bit darker
Another thing is I tend to overuse Maximizer on master sometimes which leads to heavy compression and soft clipping , surprisingly on Reason 4 the song feels more solid and consistent (exactly the way I expected the sound to be when making the song)

Also I did the null test several times which they didn’t cancel out completely (exporing a song on R4 , exporting the same song on the latest version, importing both files and phase inverting one of them)

I did these comparings and tests many times during all these years and while there could be something wrong with them or my reasoning , I believe what I’m hearing is not just pure illusion .

avasopht
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2022

kooshan wrote:
29 Apr 2022
selig wrote:
28 Apr 2022

Hi selig
I’ve been using Reason exclusively since 2001 and this is the only time I’m experiencing such issue.I’ve always had Reason 4 and whatever the latest version has been installed on my desktop simultaneaosly .Comparing those when playing the same song(made on Reason 4) it appeared that Reason 4 always sounded a bit darker
Another thing is I tend to overuse Maximizer on master sometimes which leads to heavy compression and soft clipping , surprisingly on Reason 4 the song feels more solid and consistent (exactly the way I expected the sound to be when making the song)

Also I did the null test several times which they didn’t cancel out completely (exporing a song on R4 , exporting the same song on the latest version, importing both files and phase inverting one of them)

I did these comparings and tests many times during all these years and while there could be something wrong with them or my reasoning , I believe what I’m hearing is not just pure illusion .
Does it null with every other version of Reason?

Note: Some sounds and effects involve time dependent states that would differ based on how long it was rendered after opening the project.

Are you sure you're exporting with the exact same settings?

How about sharing your exports with your settings since you have both installed?

Bearing in mind this has been tested to death, if you're seeing noticeable differences like this, either you're doing something remarkably different or are just imagining it.

mickeysternum

29 Apr 2022

kooshan wrote:
29 Apr 2022
selig wrote:
28 Apr 2022

Hi selig

This is interesting, come to think of it I also used Maximiser pretty heavily back in the day too.

selig
RE Developer

29 Apr 2022

kooshan wrote:
29 Apr 2022
Hi selig

Part of the reason for doing a null test is to examine the remainder when there is no null. If one version has less high end, the null will reveal only high frequencies (because that is the only area where there is a difference). When you hear full bandwidth nulls, meaning the original spectrum is more or less retained but the level is very low, it means there was either a level or a timing mis-match. And nether of those account for a change in the sound/spectrum/tone in any way. Make sense?

All to say, failing a null just means one of two three things was not the same: level (overall level or at specific frequencies), time, or content changes (anything from new content in one file such as additional harmonics due to distortion as one example, to a random/modulation effect which is different on each audio file/export).

BUT, sometimes the null tests are simply not level matched or are off by one sample in time both of which FAIL the null test but do not indicate ANY spectral changes as you described.
So a failed null test alone does not indicate there will be any change to the sound in any way. Maybe it changed, maybe it didn't.

The best test, the one I rely on, involves using a swept sine approach used with audio analysis software such as Room EQ Wizard or FuzzMeasure (what I use). These tests tell you about the frequency response, the phase response, distortion components, impulse response (good for measuring latency), and frequency over time (waterfall). The entire audio path in every version of Reason I've ever tested is a boring 'flat' (perfect) response across the audible spectrum, just like every other DAW out there.

Now if you want to talk about frequency response of the INSTRUMENTS, that's another subject (spoiler: all oscillator waveforms are not the same).
Selig Audio, LLC

kitekrazy

29 Apr 2022

arnigretar wrote:
28 Apr 2022
I have Reason v1 installed and up- and running on my iMac G3. I also have 4 and 5 on one of my windows 7 machines. If you are using Redrum, Subtractor, NN19 and same samples, etc. etc. -- It sounds the same as it does in Reason 12.
I am curious as to why?

arnigretar

30 Apr 2022

I have 4 on one computer and 5 on another. I meant to write on 'two of my windows 7 machines'. still... sound the same :)
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

nooomy

30 Apr 2022

Here is a secret trick to make it sound like reason 4

Turn the master gain until you see two red dots above the meter, that means you have activated the secret "chunkiness mode" and it will sound like reason 4. It also add analogue warmth, openness and transparency

sled9e

30 Apr 2022

reducing buffersize or /and unselect render audio using audio card buffer size setting and unselect delay compensation might make up for any differences too I think.

• Information