How to make modern Reason sound like 4

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mickeysternum

27 Apr 2022

Hi there, years ago i used Reason 4 and contrary to what seems to be the opinion of a lot of people I absolutely loved the sound of it. I now use Reason 10 but for me it's too clean and doesn't have the same kind of 'chunkiness' to the sound. I was wondering if there is some kind of setting I can select to make it sound like 4 did? Thank you

deeplink
Competition Winner

27 Apr 2022

I'm starting to believe that these are all troll posts.
Seen it on Reddit and FB too.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

mickeysternum

27 Apr 2022

Haha definitely not a troll post. I suppose it's like my Ensoniq DP2 being 16-bit, it has more grit or something.

mickeysternum

27 Apr 2022

I've read a fair bit about it and it seems that up to either 4 or 5 there was 32bit floating point for something on the output and then after that there was a switch to 64-bit and that cleaned up the sound somehow?

avasopht
Competition Winner

27 Apr 2022

mickeysternum wrote:
27 Apr 2022
Hi there, years ago i used Reason 4 and contrary to what seems to be the opinion of a lot of people I absolutely loved the sound of it. I now use Reason 10 but for me it's too clean and doesn't have the same kind of 'chunkiness' to the sound. I was wondering if there is some kind of setting I can select to make it sound like 4 did? Thank you
You're most likely imagining it.

Our perception is very easy to manipulate.

Just changing the GUI will make your perceive the audio differently.

Then add in the fact you're using a different mixer, and that each instrument is being fed into this more advanced mixer instead of the simple 14 channel line mixer, ... that influences your mix decisions.

There was an export aliasing bug in older versions of Reason, but I can't remember the conditions required to trigger it, and it's not likely do be that.

No.

There's no "cleaner". This is digital in the box sound production running at a minimum of cd quality audio.

At most, maybe you had a few devices defaulting to lofi like redrum

Aosta

27 Apr 2022

Oh oh
A 'that Reason sound' post

Tend the flame

motuscott

27 Apr 2022

I remember the first song I wrote on my first Speak 'n Spell,
I shall never reach those heights again
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

motuscott

27 Apr 2022

Sure I can paradiddle my way to The New Jerusalem but I'll never retrieve that innocence again.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Marc64

27 Apr 2022

Don't use the ssl mixer, use the 14:2 mixer and switch to compatible eq on the back of it. That might get that "reason4" sound :)

thx

27 Apr 2022

Pan laws can have an effect too; I think I read the newer mixer does things differently?
avasopht wrote:
27 Apr 2022

That is so completely true, it's shocking!

mickeysternum

27 Apr 2022

Marc64 wrote:
27 Apr 2022
Don't use the ssl mixer, use the 14:2 mixer and switch to compatible eq on the back of it. That might get that "reason4" sound :)
Thanks mate will give that a shot.

mickeysternum

27 Apr 2022

Yeah I know there is placebo, but I had both running side by side at one point and there was an obvious difference between the two, it's not like me imaging the glory days and at the time I wasn't even aware that this was some sort of joke, I just remembered thinking that the new one sounded different. Maybe there was some setting I accidentally had engaged or something, because it's not like I was wanting there to be a difference, it was just extremely obvious when I was running both back to back.

If it keeps coming up maybe there's some truth to it? I've been using Logic for 10 years and Ableton for a fair while and I don't think I've heard of a single case of people thinking the old versions of those sounded different.

mickeysternum

27 Apr 2022

avasopht wrote:
27 Apr 2022
mickeysternum wrote:
27 Apr 2022
You're most likely imagining it.

Then add in the fact you're using a different mixer, and that each instrument is being fed into this more advanced mixer instead of the simple 14 channel line mixer, ... that influences your mix decisions.

There was an export aliasing bug in older versions of Reason, but I can't remember the conditions required to trigger it, and it's not likely do be that.

No.

There's no "cleaner". This is digital in the box sound production running at a minimum of cd quality audio.

At most, maybe you had a few devices defaulting to lofi like redrum
Yeah could be it, a couple of you guys have mentioned the 14 channel mixer so might try that and the lo-fi setting too. I appreciate the response thanks heaps

selig
RE Developer

27 Apr 2022

mickeysternum wrote:
27 Apr 2022

Yeah could be it, a couple of you guys have mentioned the 14 channel mixer so might try that and the lo-fi setting too. I appreciate the response thanks heaps
There is absolutely no difference between the sound of the 14:2 mixer and the SSL. They both measure perfectly flat and distortion free.

BTW, there is no "lo fi" setting on the 14:2, there are two different EQ curves - that's it. If you don't use the EQ, you won't hear any difference with the "compatible" switch. OTOH, if you are comparing the EQ, then yes the 14:2 is different than the SSL - but neither one degrades the audio in any way, they are simply using different EQ curves.

There is no technical reason for them to sound any different either, so it's no surprise they both measure exactly the same.

Differences heard over the years have come down to two things I'm aware of. One is the factory sound bank/instruments 'quality' (frequency response, aliasing, etc), which is not an indication of the 'sound' of a DAW directly. Another is the instruments in Reason leaving headroom so not sounding as 'big" as others, which is also not an indication of the sound of the DAW OR the instruments. Other than that, there has never to my knowledge been any evidence there are any sonic differences between Reason versions, or between Reason and other DAWs for that matter.

Test after test after test have ALL come to the same conclusion, so I am very confident in saying there is no difference.
As always, I'm happy to review the evidence or look at new evidence if anyone has any reason for doing so.
Selig Audio, LLC

avasopht
Competition Winner

27 Apr 2022

selig wrote:
27 Apr 2022
There is absolutely no difference between the sound of the 14:2 mixer and the SSL. They both measure perfectly flat and distortion free.

BTW, there is no "lo fi" setting on the 14:2, there are two different EQ curves - that's it. If you don't use the EQ, you won't hear any difference with the "compatible" switch. OTOH, if you are comparing the EQ, then yes the 14:2 is different than the SSL - but neither one degrades the audio in any way, they are simply using different EQ curves.

There is no technical reason for them to sound any different either, so it's no surprise they both measure exactly the same.

Differences heard over the years have come down to two things I'm aware of. One is the factory sound bank/instruments 'quality' (frequency response, aliasing, etc), which is not an indication of the 'sound' of a DAW directly. Another is the instruments in Reason leaving headroom so not sounding as 'big" as others, which is also not an indication of the sound of the DAW OR the instruments. Other than that, there has never to my knowledge been any evidence there are any sonic differences between Reason versions, or between Reason and other DAWs for that matter.

Test after test after test have ALL come to the same conclusion, so I am very confident in saying there is no difference.
As always, I'm happy to review the evidence or look at new evidence if anyone has any reason for doing so.
Just FYI, ... I explained that if he was using the SSL instead of the 14:2, that he might make different mix decisions, not that the mixers themselves sound different as well as the lo-fi setting in Redrum (and other samplers like NN19, Dr:Rex and I think NNXT might have that setting as well).

That's what he was responding to.

selig
RE Developer

27 Apr 2022

avasopht wrote:
27 Apr 2022
selig wrote:
27 Apr 2022

Just FYI, ... I explained that if he was using the SSL instead of the 14:2, that he might make different mix decisions, not that the mixers themselves sound different as well as the lo-fi setting in Redrum (and other samplers like NN19, Dr:Rex and I think NNXT might have that setting as well).

That's what he was responding to.
Correct, sorry for any confusion on my part - it was indeed the other comment I was responding to, not yours…
Selig Audio, LLC

Mattvank

27 Apr 2022

mickeysternum wrote:
27 Apr 2022
I know what you mean. Reason 4 reminds me also on a great time. But it has nothing to do with the sound. Make a favorite folder and put all devices from this version inside. There are a couple of other things, like emotion, the changes of the ears with becoming older, your past speakers and audiointerface. maybe an old Pc with that nostalic touch and so on.

PS: I like that reason 4 demosong a lot!
Last edited by Mattvank on 27 Apr 2022, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

27 Apr 2022

Yes, the answer is to use only instruments/effects/patches/samples found in Reason 4—instant Reason 4 sound ;)

challism

27 Apr 2022

joeyluck wrote:
27 Apr 2022
Yes, the answer is to use only instruments/effects/patches/samples found in Reason 4—instant Reason 4 sound ;)
Another solution is to install and use Reason 4.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

kooshan

27 Apr 2022

mickeysternum wrote:
27 Apr 2022
Hi , you are not alone . I’ve had the exact same experience like you . Testing side by side , obvious as daylight . But …. What is causing it ? Not really sure . It’s certainly mix of couple of things …

I even started to make some new songs on Reason 4 since a year ago and surprisingly they sounded different than the ones I made on versions 5,6,7,8,9,10 and 11.

Could be the mix decisions , gui , limited devices and ….

But I’m pretty sure above all there is a distinct sound difference specially on the high frequecies which in Reason 4 it’s lacking on some areas compared to other versions.

I have to mention that this is just happening with version 4 . All other versions of reason sound the same with no difference. So if you guys believe that I’m just imagining it , it’s just the case with version 4 .

mickeysternum

27 Apr 2022

kooshan wrote:
27 Apr 2022
mickeysternum wrote:
27 Apr 2022
Hi , you are not alone . I’ve had the exact same experience like you . Testing side by side , obvious as daylight . But …. What is causing it ? Not really sure . It’s certainly mix of couple of things …

I even started to make some new songs on Reason 4 since a year ago and surprisingly they sounded different than the ones I made on versions 5,6,7,8,9,10 and 11.

Could be the mix decisions , gui , limited devices and ….

But I’m pretty sure above all there is a distinct sound difference specially on the high frequecies which in Reason 4 it’s lacking on some areas compared to other versions.

I have to mention that this is just happening with version 4 . All other versions of reason sound the same with no difference. So if you guys believe that I’m just imagining it , it’s just the case with version 4 .
Thank you! Yeah I mean I know that I sat there with both loaded on my computer at once (I think it was 6 or 7 at the time) and the sound from Reason 4 was different at the exact same time as 7 was loaded, I ran both into Ableton using rewire and the sound of 4 was definitely different, in a 'wrong/lofi' way but there was something about it, I would obviously keep using it if I could, but as far as I'm aware it was 32 bit and won't rewire into 64 bit hosts. Would love to hear if you have any insights into what's happening on 4 specifically

mickeysternum

27 Apr 2022

challism wrote:
27 Apr 2022
joeyluck wrote:
27 Apr 2022
Would love to but am now on an M1 system and I would be shocked if it ran on this machine. I think it was also a 32 bit app?

challism

27 Apr 2022

mickeysternum wrote:
27 Apr 2022
challism wrote:
27 Apr 2022

Would love to but am now on an M1 system and I would be shocked if it ran on this machine. I think it was also a 32 bit app?
I was mostly just being a smartass. Yeah, I believe Reason was 32 bit until Reason 7, when it moved to 64 bit. I remember that because I had to upgrade my computer to continue updating Reason. I would still be on Windows XP if it weren't for Reason. ha ha
Mattvank wrote:
27 Apr 2022

PS: I like that reason 4 demosong a lot!
Me too. That demo song just kept getting better and better. When did (Props) finally stop using that demo song. I think it was in Reason 1-5, wasn't it? And it kept evolving to show the new features. Does anybody remember the name of that song? Never mind, I just saw it... it was called "Default Song.rsn". I guess that's better than calling it Document1.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

avasopht
Competition Winner

28 Apr 2022

kooshan wrote:
27 Apr 2022
There are none.

I've used Reason since version 2.

I've a good 20 years of stuff, and some have been bounced and backed up on CD or uploaded to sound cloud and sound click, so I've lots of material to compare.

You're either imagining it, doing something different in v4, have different settings, or are doing something terribly wrong.

PitW.

28 Apr 2022

Is it possible to load a Reason 4 file into Reason 12? AFAIK, it should be possible.

Then you could check this in a scientific way:
1. Create a song in Reason 4
2. Export the song as a mixdown from Reason 4
3. Open the Reason 4 project file in Reason 10/11/12 (whatever you consider "modern Reason")
4. Export the song without making any changes
5. Open a new instance of Reason or your favourite audio editor
6. Import both mixdown files (old Reason vs new Reason)
7. Phase invert one of the tracks

Et voila. If all you hear is the blank noise from your soundcard, then there is no change in the audio signal at all
If you hear something, there ist a difference.

• Information