Editing and sendind CC from to VSTs within Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
StojSnak

25 Apr 2022

Hi.
I'm working in Reason standalone and using a VST instrument that needs a CC20 at 127 to reset (EastWest Hollywood Choir). I need to do this in the middle of my song.

Is there a way to assign a midi lane of an instrument to a specific midi CC?

I managed to do this for the MidiOut device but I can not find a way to send the midi info to a device within Reason. Am I missing something here?

Cheers!

mimidancer

25 Apr 2022

StojSnak wrote:
25 Apr 2022
Hi.
I'm working in Reason standalone and using a VST instrument that needs a CC20 at 127 to reset (EastWest Hollywood Choir). I need to do this in the middle of my song.

I managed to do this for the MidiOut device but I can not find a way to send the midi info to a device within Reason. Am I missing something here?

Cheers!
I always use the midi out an instrument in a combinator. from there it is easy to set up and control CC. Simply assign the CC you want to use to a knob the route in the combinator. You can also set the hardware up in advanced midi. Then save it as part of your default template and it will just be there when you turn on Reason. I can send pics if you get stuck.

StojSnak

26 Apr 2022

Thanks. :puf_smile:
I would love to see a screenshot.
My main problem is hooking the midiout up to the VST so I am able to send the CC to the VST.

mimidancer

26 Apr 2022

StojSnak wrote:
26 Apr 2022
My main problem is hooking the midiout up to the VST so I am able to send the CC to the VST.
The VST is running in reason native? Right? What vst are you using? You can Tweet me so we can do this in real-time if you want. @mimidancer

StojSnak

26 Apr 2022

mimidancer wrote:
26 Apr 2022
StojSnak wrote:
26 Apr 2022
The VST is running in reason native? Right? What vst are you using? You can Tweet me so we can do this in real-time if you want. @mimidancer
Yes, it is running as an instrument in Reason.
It's the EW Opus (with the Hollywood Choir patch).

I want to send the MIDI CC from the MIDI OUT to the VST.

Front rack:

Back rack:

mimidancer

26 Apr 2022

StojSnak wrote:
26 Apr 2022
mimidancer wrote:
26 Apr 2022

Yes, it is running as an instrument in Reason.
It's the EW Opus (with the Hollywood Choir patch).

I want to send the MIDI CC from the MIDI OUT to the VST.

Front rack:

Back rack:
1. create a combinator. Clear all the default controls if you want. I always do. Then add the controls you wish to control. ie cutoff, a d s r whatever you want. Then select the midi out device and pick the control you wish to map. The combinator is where the magic happens.
9.jpg
9.jpg (90.29 KiB) Viewed 503 times

easy peasy. here is my combi for my microfreak. The little LFO provides extra modulation. one can never be too modulated. Ryan has some great tutorials on the combinator if you have not watched them, I hope this helps. hit me back if you have questions. I love Reason. Be well.
12.jpg
12.jpg (173.64 KiB) Viewed 503 times
13.jpg
13.jpg (54.6 KiB) Viewed 503 times

mimidancer

26 Apr 2022

I just realized you are using a vst. You do not need the midi out module that is for hardware. Just place it in a combinator and you can map the controls the same way. then you can sequence them. Sorry was up all night taking call. My brain is not fully functioning.

rmtcvolte

28 Apr 2022

StojSnak wrote:
25 Apr 2022
Hi.

Cheers!
The Midi Out device is sending out to the hardware output of your Focusrite interface (seen in your picture). You could wire it to the Focusrite Midi input and set this up via Edit-> Preferences->Sync->External control as Bus A. Back in the rack it will appear in the Advanced Midi tab as a device and you can connect Channel 1 to the VSTi. Instead you could use a virtual midi (loopMIDI if on Windows) for this, to avoid connecting in/out on the same hardware device.
Possibly you can change CC20 (undifined) to something like CC1 (Modwheel) but this could interfere with your playing performance and VST setup.
With the VSTi selected in the rack you can do File->Export Device Remote Info to get a list of all remotables of your device, maybe the "Return to Beginning" is listed, but I doubt it, as it is somewhere in the options dialog.

mimidancer

28 Apr 2022

rmtcvolte wrote:
28 Apr 2022
StojSnak wrote:
25 Apr 2022
Hi.

Cheers!
The Midi Out device is sending out to the hardware output of your Focusrite interface (seen in your picture). You could wire it to the Focusrite Midi input and set this up via Edit-> Preferences->Sync->External control as Bus A. Back in the rack it will appear in the Advanced Midi tab as a device and you can connect Channel 1 to the VSTi. Instead you could use a virtual midi (loopMIDI if on Windows) for this, to avoid connecting in/out on the same hardware device.
Possibly you can change CC20 (undifined) to something like CC1 (Modwheel) but this could interfere with your playing performance and VST setup.
With the VSTi selected in the rack you can do File->Export Device Remote Info to get a list of all remotables of your device, maybe the "Return to Beginning" is listed, but I doubt it, as it is somewhere in the options dialog.
But in a combinator, he should be able to select the parameter without outputting midi, no?

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

28 Apr 2022

Pretty much what we think too...

Should be able to find the VST automation control in the sequencer, or get the VST in a combi and map it to the CV control list (maybe)

• Information