Master Buss Compression Setup

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
JohnnyBee 67

24 Apr 2022

Hi;
Could somebody please direct me to information (YouTube link, text link or whatever) on the best and easiest way to patch in the Master Buss Compressor, or does it self configure? In Cakewalk, I've been using the Waves SSL Master Buss Comp plugin and I guess I can do that in R 12 too but I'm not advanced enough to work with the back panel/patch cords.. It doesn't matter which one I use. I just need to apply a bit of compression across the entire project at the master buss level.

I hope I'm not asking another stupid question. Please forgive me if I am.

Thanks
:-) John B

dan_g

25 Apr 2022

Hi,

do you mean the integrated in the Mixer or the standalone RackFX version?

the integrated Comp is hard wired into the master section. the Rack-FX version can be anywere you want it in the rack.

hope that helps

br,
dan_g
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

JohnnyBee 67

25 Apr 2022

dan_g wrote:
25 Apr 2022
Hi,

do you mean the integrated in the Mixer or the standalone RackFX version?

the integrated Comp is hard wired into the master section. the Rack-FX version can be anywere you want it in the rack.

hope that helps

br,
dan_g
Thanks for your friendly and timely response. I meant the integrated. I assume when you say "hard wired" you mean it's already part of the SSL mixer and nothing has to be done at all, right? On the Master Buss on mine there is no meter visible, just the fader. How do I get that to where I can see the meter?
Thanks again. :puf_smile:

orthodox
RE Developer

25 Apr 2022

JohnnyBee 67 wrote:
25 Apr 2022
On the Master Buss on mine there is no meter visible, just the fader.
Which meter and which fader?

This is the master bus strip:

The compressor is at the top, it's turned on with the ON button. The master fader and meter are at the bottom.

huggermugger

25 Apr 2022

Reason's Master Compressor is good. But if you want to set up your own Master Bus effects, it's easy. Go to the Rack, open up the Master Section, then Show Insert FX, and drag and drop effects in whatever order you want The back-of-the-rack patching will happen automatically.

HINT, if you want to re-order the effects, drag them into the preferred order, but hold the Shift key when you do, and Reason will repatch them in the new order.

HINT, don't forget to turn off the Reason Master Compressor if necessary.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 8.16.17 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 8.16.17 AM.jpg (354.35 KiB) Viewed 537 times
Last edited by huggermugger on 25 Apr 2022, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyBee 67

25 Apr 2022

orthodox wrote:
25 Apr 2022
JohnnyBee 67 wrote:
25 Apr 2022
On the Master Buss on mine there is no meter visible, just the fader.
Which meter and which fader?

This is the master bus strip:

The compressor is at the top, it's turned on with the ON button. The master fader and meter are at the bottom.
Oh, you're RIGHT! I guess I didn't go up high enough. My bad! :redface: And THANKS! :D

JohnnyBee 67

25 Apr 2022

huggermugger wrote:
25 Apr 2022
Reason's Master Compressor is good. But you want to set up your own Master effects, it's easy. Go to the Rack, open up the Master Section, then Show Insert FX, and drag and drop effects in whatever order you want The back-of-the-rack patching will happen automatically.

HINT, if you want to re-order the effects, drag them into the preferred order, but hold the Shift key when you do, and Reason will repatch them in the new order.
Oh, this is so great! Thanks so much, huggermugger. I would've asked that question next but now I don't have to. I'll try Reason's Master Buss comp first to see if like it better than Waves.
:clap: John B

tomusurp

26 Apr 2022

I use it on most of my songs before I use VST plugins in the master insert fx. Typically the default setting is great otherwise keep in mind Attack is how fast it grabs and starts compressing signal (lower value is faster), Release is how fast it releases the signal after it starts compressing (lower value releases quicker), Ratio is how much compression is applied and Threshold will determine at what volume level will the compression gets triggered
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/c/TomUsurp
https://www.tomusurp.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

• Information