Windows 7 Pro for Reason 12?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jukeboxwhiz

15 Apr 2022

I've built a computer that can handle Reason 12, but it can't seem to handle Windows 10. The operating system continually crashes on me. i've been trying to figure the problem for a week. I can't solve it.

So, I'm thinking of just installing Windows 7 pro. But will Reason 12 work with that OS?

orthodox
RE Developer

15 Apr 2022

Not gonna work. R12 won't install on Win7. Verified.

It's strange that Win10 crashes where Win7 does not. Unless it's some driver incompatibility.

pushedbutton

15 Apr 2022

Balance regularly bluescreened my windows 10 machine, perhaps you're using some hardware that's not compatible with the newer OS. At this stage it would be hard to recommend anyone uses windows 7 for anything though.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

killhamster

15 Apr 2022

When I rebuilt my current PC, Win10 would barely let me sign in before crashing. Turns out the ISO I'd had on hand was way too old and getting a newer one that was much more up to date fixed things for me.

rootwheel

16 Apr 2022

jukeboxwhiz wrote:
15 Apr 2022
I've built a computer that can handle Reason 12, but it can't seem to handle Windows 10. The operating system continually crashes on me. i've been trying to figure the problem for a week. I can't solve it.

So, I'm thinking of just installing Windows 7 pro. But will Reason 12 work with that OS?
There could be a way of getting Reason 12 to work if you can bypass the installer OS check (or copy installed files over from a Windows 10 machine) and then also copy any Windows 10-only dll dependencies into the same folder as the main Reason.exe

I've had some success in the past at hacking Windows applications with higher system requirements to work on lower OSs with the method above but it would obviously be completely unsupported by Reason Studios.

Good luck!

• Information