Reason Studios: New Device live stream 4/20 Reveal

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deeplink
Competition Winner

15 Apr 2022

Let the guesses begin....
Screenshot_20220415-201853_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20220415-201853_YouTube.jpg (221.84 KiB) Viewed 3441 times
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

crimsonwarlock

15 Apr 2022

deeplink wrote:
15 Apr 2022
Let the guesses begin....
The guesses were already in full swing for quite a while now: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7527476
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

BRIGGS

15 Apr 2022

r11s

Billy+

15 Apr 2022

Stream discussion thread:- viewtopic.php?p=603025#p603025

Hopefully I will continue updating the thread to include bookmarks for each stream

deeplink
Competition Winner

15 Apr 2022

I'm struggling to imagine what this could be other than a bitspeak-esque / vocoder effect.

Maybe a glitch effect? The happy robot is throwing me off..

jam-s

15 Apr 2022

The robot is giving me these vibes:

So maybe their new take on the classic robot vocoder FX?

PhillipOrdonez

15 Apr 2022

deeplink wrote:
15 Apr 2022
I'm struggling to imagine what this could be other than a bitspeak-esque / vocoder effect.

Same.

ltbrunt00

15 Apr 2022

If it is another RE since they have no shortage of ideas for tools to sell us I hope this isn't a must buy. I Spent enough money this year already. Reason Bass player is dope and has the type of learning curve I love. I would love updates to all the current Players. Maybe this device will be free.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Creativemind

15 Apr 2022

deeplink wrote:
15 Apr 2022

I guess the robot is a give away, it's some kind of vocoder with a twist.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Mattvank

16 Apr 2022

It doesn´t support High Resolutions graphics.

challism

16 Apr 2022

It's obviously some kind of unquantizable player that only plays 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 and whole notes. Triples and shuffle.... does not compute!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Arpeg
Competition Winner

16 Apr 2022

Hmm, a certain Combinator 2 that was built around 5 months ago springs to mind, it had a vocoder with switches(LED), it was amazing tbh. The yellow and green at the top of the blurred image resembles the same colours of that said combi, if I remember rightly. I can't help but link that Combi with what I see in that blurred image above.

teddymcw

16 Apr 2022

Since the release is on 4/20 it's definitely a blunt smoking RE device brah.

After seeing the Andrew Huang preview images when these streams were first revealed, my honest first hunch was a vocoder type of device. Looking forward to something playful, interesting, and maybe even novel.

deeplink
Competition Winner

20 Apr 2022

Revealed!

Loque

20 Apr 2022

Ah...nice...a new Vocoder called BV-X.

It looks pretty feature rich. Lots of stuff you nromally need to do outside of the Vocoder.
The Transferfunction looks interesting. Reminds me on the backside of the BV512, where you can recable and rescale the bands. Can this Transferfunction in BVX be drawn for an individual transferfunction or will this featur ebe added?
Are there more harmonic mixing possible, lets say the 3rd, 4th and 5th?
Reason12, Win10

deeplink
Competition Winner

20 Apr 2022

Loque wrote:
20 Apr 2022

It looks pretty feature rich. Lots of stuff you nromally need to do outside of the Vocoder.
The Transferfunction looks interesting. Reminds me on the backside of the BV512, where you can recable and rescale the bands. Can this Transferfunction in BVX be drawn for an individual transferfunction or will this featur ebe added?

From the blog post: Speaking of harmonizers, the Modern mode can sound incredibly natural and is great for backing harmonies. To spice it up, we also added a frequency transfer curve function. If that sounds like crazy science, don’t worry. The simplest way to describe it is that it’s what happens when you plug the output of a vocoder band to the input of a vocoder band in BV-512. In practice, we change the frequency of specific frequencies. A good and understandable example of why this is cool is the first transfer curve. It basically lets you shift the upper frequencies up or down, which is like letting you control the formant without affecting the lower frequencies.

Loque

20 Apr 2022

deeplink wrote:
20 Apr 2022
Loque wrote:
20 Apr 2022

From the blog post: Speaking of harmonizers, the Modern mode can sound incredibly natural and is great for backing harmonies. To spice it up, we also added a frequency transfer curve function. If that sounds like crazy science, don’t worry. The simplest way to describe it is that it’s what happens when you plug the output of a vocoder band to the input of a vocoder band in BV-512. In practice, we change the frequency of specific frequencies. A good and understandable example of why this is cool is the first transfer curve. It basically lets you shift the upper frequencies up or down, which is like letting you control the formant without affecting the lower frequencies.
:lol:
Reason12, Win10

jam-s

20 Apr 2022

OK, so basically a vocoder for HipHop producers who don't get how to properly route the classic BV-512 with some added high-res FFT. Should have been a free update to the BV-512 imho to make R12 a little bit more enticing.

tomusurp

20 Apr 2022

Man this is awesome! Haven't been this excited for a new release in a while! Although the recents of Mimic and Algoritm are quite awesome too. I use Mimic in every track.
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/@usurptom
https://www.usurptom.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

geronimo

20 Apr 2022

It's great but I would have preferred that they ensure their roadmap with the M1 compatibility of REASON 12 for Mac users.

arnigretar

20 Apr 2022

Looks and sounds great from the video. Can't wait to dive into this. Btw nice easter shirt, Ryan!
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

crimsonwarlock

20 Apr 2022

It seems a nice package, but I fail to see what it can do that I can't do with BV512 in combination2 (see what I did there :puf_bigsmile: ) with some other available stuff.

At first glance, the carrier synth seems a (very) scaled down Europa and the FX seem pretty basic as well. The hardware vocoder that I built myself back in the eighties, had a noise generator with so-called voiced/unvoiced detection, something that is easily replicated with current available REs. But for those that don't have a clue to do something like that, this new vocoder might be interesting.

I'm actually glad they released something that I don't (seem to) need, so I can keep my money. :lol: I'll be watching the livestream tonight to see if they can surprise me.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

sonicbyte

20 Apr 2022

Looks and sound cool, but.... we need a better sequencer, no more devices.

Thank you

The_Grass

20 Apr 2022

Atleast VST3 support,great news...

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

20 Apr 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
20 Apr 2022
It seems a nice package, but I fail to see what it can do that I can't do with BV512 in combination2 (see what I did there :puf_bigsmile: ) with some other available stuff.

At first glance, the carrier synth seems a (very) scaled down Europa and the FX seem pretty basic as well. The hardware vocoder that I built myself back in the eighties, had a noise generator with so-called voiced/unvoiced detection, something that is easily replicated with current available REs. But for those that don't have a clue to do something like that, this new vocoder might be interesting.

I'm actually glad they released something that I don't (seem to) need, so I can keep my money. :lol: I'll be watching the livestream tonight to see if they can surprise me.
Check out the live stream later today, there's quite a bit more to it than that. :)

I wrote some words related to it here too: https://reasonstudios.com/blog/a-modern ... e-vocoder/

• Information