Hardware exception and black screen

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
decoder

07 Apr 2022

I'm gonna try again since I didn't get any response in a different thread.
When I try to open Reason 12.5 I get the following message:

Hardware Exception
Reason just recovered from a hardware exception.
You can continue running, but we recommend that you save all open songs and restart the application. :shock:

The screen is mostly black except for the message. I have no troubles with any other graphics in any other program.
Is anyone else experiencing this?

StephenHutchinson

08 Apr 2022

I usually am on my Mac mini M1 for Reason 12, but in the past day or so I was tooling around with my Windows machine to show a friend how easy it is to get started with Reason. I kid you not, in the half hour we were at it, I must have had 25+ Hardware Exception pop-ups and then a really big one which said to save your stuff and close and restart. Thankfully I had saved the thing we were working on and it worked when opening it up again, but yeah... getting those "You can continue running, but we recommend that you save all open songs and restart the application." messages are frustrating. I never got a black screen of death or anything yet.. but yeah.

So now today I was at it again just playing around with some VSTs and having fun, and the same damn thing. I am guessing that it's probably a bug that needs to be worked out in the never-ending story of Reason 12.5 being "still-just-an-unfinished-buggy-beta." Just save often.. like CTRL+S for every step you take.
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
Sound Design & Music Content Creation
Sound Dimension :: https://www.sounddimension.io

Loque

08 Apr 2022

Driver error, HD or gfx board defect, maybe the RAM has defects. Seldom not enough power.

I speculate the gfx board is broken. Does games run smoothly?
Reason12, Win10

Arpeg
Competition Winner

08 Apr 2022

I think, Loque, is correct, and, it is a possible GFX issue.

I have experienced the same message and black screen in previous versions of 12 but not 12.5 so far. I highly recommend a driver updater that can detect and sort out any new updates needed before any Reason update input. When Reason Studios gives me an update I will check my drivers first and update if needed before applying an RS update. I still have occasional odd movement of wave forms in the sequencer grid but that is all.

Updating my GFX driver(s) seems to have solved my problem with that issue anyhow. Still using a 1050 GTX btw. I use the CC driver updater which I pay £20 odd quid, annually.

rorystorm

10 Apr 2022

Been getting a hardware exception message any time i click on the same name field in Redrum since the last update.

decoder

10 Apr 2022

Thanks everyone for all for your advice.
As far as graphics go, all my other apps work fine. Looks like my drivers are current as well.
Not sure what to do at this point. Basically stuck with unusable software I guess.

Billy+

11 Apr 2022

decoder wrote:
10 Apr 2022
As far as graphics go, all my other apps work fine. Looks like my drivers are current as well.
Not sure what to do at this point. Basically stuck with unusable software I guess.
Sounds like you have done all that you can at your end, the next step would be to use the logging version and create a support ticket with the log attached...

Loque

11 Apr 2022

decoder wrote:
10 Apr 2022
Can you replace the gfx board? Just for testing? I would be surprised if it is not the gfx board.
Reason12, Win10

WOO

11 Apr 2022

I just had the same error message pop up when I went to open reason 11 suite 4 days ago. It sent shivers down my spine! Closed it and restarted, hasn't happened since. I thought it might have to do with recent updates to win 10 that I just installed. So you're saying it may have something to do with graphics? Like the op all my other apps run just fine and I have the latest graphics drivers installed.

Loque

11 Apr 2022

WOO wrote:
11 Apr 2022
I just had the same error message pop up when I went to open reason 11 suite 4 days ago. It sent shivers down my spine! Closed it and restarted, hasn't happened since. I thought it might have to do with recent updates to win 10 that I just installed. So you're saying it may have something to do with graphics? Like the op all my other apps run just fine and I have the latest graphics drivers installed.
Yep, that's what iam saying. I had this too years ago. Unspecified and sudden black screens. They came more and more, than easy to reproduce with games, than suddenly everything stayed black. It was the graphics board.
Reason12, Win10

sonja

23 Mar 2023

I just updated and it was fine for a few hours of use but just got the "Hardware Exception". Not a black screen though. Do you guys mean to update ASIO driver? I did that to no avail. BTW, only the latest project says that, I can open other songs.
Win10|Reason12|i7 -8565U CPU 16 GB RAM Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen, keys KontaktKompltS 88MK2, JBL 306P MkII Powrd Studio Monitors, Saxophones (silver-plate):Selmer BA Alto Daddy-O MP, Yamaha Custom Z Tenor, Robusto 7*MP, Flutes Haynes (C) DiZhau Alto

• Information