Can I send 9 midi channels to 9 instruments?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Paul

07 Apr 2022

Hi

Is it possible for Reason to receive 9 MIDI channels from 1 external midi device and have each incoming channel trigger a separate instrument and or track? If so, how?
channel 1 - instrument 1 only
channel 2 - instrument 2 only
etc
etc

rmtcvolte

07 Apr 2022

Paul wrote:
07 Apr 2022
Hi

Is it possible for Reason to receive 9 MIDI channels from 1 external midi device and have each incoming channel trigger a separate instrument and or track? If so, how?
etc
etc
Koshdukai's solution could help:
https://koshdukaimusicreason.blogspot.c ... emote.html

mimidancer

13 Apr 2022

Paul wrote:
07 Apr 2022
Hi

etc
etc
yes. the easiest way is to set up empty combinators and assign the channels in the advanced midi tool. Then save it as a template. you can do this with up to 4 devices. you do not have to download anything to do it this way. Easy peasy. if you then wish to direct that midi to a track to record simply put any player on top of the combi then click the record midi to direct to track button. I use the selig note view as the direct record player.
Attachments
combis.jpg
combis.jpg (124.03 KiB) Viewed 868 times

Aquila

13 Apr 2022

Have a look at the 'Advanced MIDI' section at the very top of the rack. Reason allows up to four 16 channel MIDI input buses from various hardware or software interfaces, giving you a theoretical total of 64 MIDI channels which you can then assign to each rack device using the drop down menu in the Advanced MIDI section.

You may need to select a MIDI input bus in the 'Sync' section of the Preferences window first though.

w1pl0c

13 Apr 2022

god i love midi

tomusurp

14 Apr 2022

By midi channel does that mean a single key, pad or knob from a midi device?
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/c/TomUsurp
https://www.tomusurp.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

ekss
RE Developer

15 Apr 2022

Tomeo55 wrote:
14 Apr 2022
By midi channel does that mean a single key, pad or knob from a midi device?
No, each knob/button has an individual CC# (if supported on the device) and all CC#s and note info, start/stop/sync messages for that device is sent through the selected midi channel. Meaning that you can theoretically control 16 individual synths (or other midi devices) through one midi port.

Paul

26 Apr 2022

Thanks everyone, I got it working. Here is what I will use it for. This film was taken when I was using Reaper but I wanted Reason for the quality of the sound bank.
I've only just realised the synchronicity of Propellerheads and my project.

• Information