Routing Busses in Reason to SSL Six

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
PrivatePartsUK

23 Mar 2022

Hi Guys,

So I created a template and everything is set up in terms of the 6 ins and outs on my audio interface ssl six and reason so its now just about putting the 6 buses i've set up in reason into the correct io and basically setting it up correctly.

I'd like to put drums bus and the parallel channel to that in one super analogue mono channel on the ssl and then the bass bus in one super analogue mono channel on the ssl then the top/mid bass/synth bus in one stereo channel on the ssl then production sounds bus in one stereo channel on the ssl and vocal bus in one stereo channel on the ssl? Like i said everything is set up i just need to know how to do the routing as it's not my field of expertise lol, do i setup a spider or mixer of some sort?

Keeping in mind i have a master section that i use in reason for mastering so i still want to be able to use this section with the ssl six so if im turning levels up on the ssl it translates in my mastering section on the rms levels etc and also i'd like to know how i can use the ssl compression eq etc to process sounds to record back into reason and also when i complete a track how then i can record the whole track with all vsts and ssl processing etc back into the pc would i do that final recording through soundforge or will that be a simple bounce like always out of reason?

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Many thanks

selig
RE Developer

23 Mar 2022

First questions:
What audio interface are you using with the SSL?
How much I/O does that interface support?
Second questions - you OK with all your drums being reduced to mono?
Thoughts:
The SSL 6 only has two mono channels with EQ/Dynamics, or can be used as one stereo pair if you don't mind matching levels/settings by hand for each channel. I'm not sure what workflow you're looking for, but each trip through the SSL will require a conversion to analog and back to digital, so part of the 'sound' you will be imparting on your signal will include your convertors for each trip.
Whatever way of working you choose would depend on what advantages you are seeking from the process. If it were me, I'd start by determining if there was any advantage to using the EQ/Dynamics on the SSL 6 over what is built into Reason, with additional consideration as to if any advantages are worth the extra work/steps in your workflow. Meaning, are you able to get a sound impossible to get any other way? Is this sound worth the workflow 'hit' you take by adding the additional complexity and time to your workflow?
Additional considerations are repeatability - for example, if you load a song in progress, what is your system for ensuring all analog settings are returned to the exact previous settings?
Routing in Reason:
This one is tricky, since you want to work two different ways that in Reason will require a more complex setup. Sounds like you want to use the SSL for mixing and mastering (keep in mind the SSL 6 excels at being used as a front end for microphone based recording, which doesn't sound like something you'll be doing?).
For the basic routing you have options. If you don't use many sends, you can configure them as a way to combine multiple signals to a single analog output on your audio interface. Another option is to use an Audio Spider Merger to sum tracks to a single output, but this requires you to use the Direct Outs of channels and that will mute the output from the Master Bus.

So the short answer is "it's complicated", and I'd probably want more information about exactly how you expect to interact with this setup before making detailed setup suggestions (or maybe I'm missing something?).
Selig Audio, LLC

PrivatePartsUK

31 Mar 2022

Hi Guys,

So I created a template and everything is set up in terms of the 6 ins and outs on my audio interface ssl six and reason so its now just about putting the 6 buses i've set up in reason into the correct io and basically setting it up correctly.

Like you know in previous emails I'd like to put drums bus and the parallel channel to that in one super analogue mono channel on the ssl and then the bass bus in one super analogue mono channel on the ssl then the top/mid bass/synth bus in one stereo channel on the ssl then production sounds bus in one stereo channel on the ssl and vocal bus in one stereo channel on the ssl? Like i said everything is set up i just need to know how to do the routing as it's not my field of expertise, do i setup a spider or mixer of some sort? Your way better at this routing stuff than i am.

Keeping in mind i have a master section that i use in reason for mastering so i still want to be able to use this section with the ssl six so if im turning levels up on the ssl it translates in my mastering section on the rms levels etc and also i'd like to know how i can use the ssl compression eq etc to process sounds to record back into reason and also when i complete a track how then i can record the whole track with all vsts and ssl processing etc back into the pc would i do that final recording through soundforge or will that be a simple bounce like always out of reason?

I've already spoken to you about this but I didnt get any solid help. Everything is set up its just the correct routing that needs to be applied and im good to go.

Sorry but I have disabilities ie dyslexic and dyspraxic so the whole routing / wiring thing confuses me. Please read this email and watch the videos attached carefully.

I've attached wetransfer link for videos so you know exactly what I'm trying to achieve so we can get a solution faster.

https://collect.wetransfer.com/board/sq ... 517/latest

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you so much

PPUK

selig
RE Developer

31 Mar 2022

I typed a very lengthy response to your original questions, including asking you some questions I felt would help me help you. You never responded. Now a second thread basically saying the same thing, and also saying you didn't get any solid help (did you miss my response?). I'm TRYING to help, but it's a two way conversation and so far you've posted the same question twice and ignored the one guy who tried to help. Still willing to help, why not go back to that original thread and pick up where we left off?

BTW, your link says this when I try to click on one of the videos to see what you're talking about:
"We can’t show you anything because this file type is not supported"

Also, I'm going to merge these two threads since they are the same question asked twice.
Selig Audio, LLC

jam-s

31 Mar 2022

From what I see this SSL six mixer does not have any USB or other connection to the computer. So you would need a multi channel (USB) audio interface and some physical (balanced) patch cables to hook it up. Your post does not tell anything on this, but the video mentions some "Anubis" interface (specs?) and shows the connection matrix. Having more readily accessible info would help folks here with trying to help you:
  • links to the manuals or at least product pages of the hardware you're using
  • a schematic on how you have connected the SSL and Anubis in detail
  • screenshots of
    • the connection matrix
    • Reason audio preferences (including input/output configuration)
    • front and back of the Rack

As per the internet classic "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way" you have to put in some effort to making a good question to expect good and helpful answers, as the people on the other end don't want to play the "guessing and digging for information game" most of the time.

Pro tip: If you're doing a video of a horizontal screen (or rather anything) please hold your phone horizontal as well.

pepe444

31 Mar 2022

Did you try using the music mission on the Anubis and set each individual channel ( DAW, AUX 1 , AUX 2, AUX 3 ....etc) to independent physical outs in the ANEMAN ?

pepe444

31 Mar 2022

You need to route your buses to individual AUDIO I/O (top right corner of the back view in Reason - In Blue)

PrivatePartsUK

01 Apr 2022

Hi Selig,

Sorry for the slow response. Thank you for getting back to me.

It would be so much better to do a google screen share so I can show you exactly what I mean because I'm trying to add the short videos here but I can't?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks

orthodox
RE Developer

01 Apr 2022

PrivatePartsUK wrote:
01 Apr 2022
It would be so much better to do a google screen share so I can show you exactly what I mean because I'm trying to add the short videos here but I can't?
You just upload a video on Youtube and post the link here.

PrivatePartsUK

01 Apr 2022

Not comfortable with doing it that way, thanks for the suggestion though 😊

Billy+

01 Apr 2022

PrivatePartsUK wrote:
01 Apr 2022
Not comfortable with doing it that way, thanks for the suggestion though 😊
Totally understand but why not upload the video to https://sendvid.com it might take longer but it is watchable at least....

PrivatePartsUK

01 Apr 2022

I'll try that. Thank you 😊

PrivatePartsUK

04 Apr 2022

Hi Guys,

Hope you all had a lovely weekend. Any of you got chance to see the vids i posted, sorry ive just seen them and they are the wrong way round, when i was uploading them they weren't like that so my apologies. Im having no luck at all trying to configure this my end.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Cheers

selig
RE Developer

04 Apr 2022

OK, just addressing the Reason part of things in a general way until I'm more clear on the nuances of what you're going for.

The primary thing to consider is workflow - how you literally conceive the process to logically flow. The ideal workflow may not be possible, so you figure out where the workarounds are. For example, it may not be a simple "one button" solution to switch from external busses to the SSL to staying ITB or from the mixing to the mastering workflow through the SSL. I'll start with the basics that apply to any external setup.
The basic concept is the use of the Direct Outputs of all channels in the Reason Mixer, which is probably the simplest way to feed audio out of Reason for external processing. This is because patching the direct outputs automatically mutes the signal inside of Reason, so you don't accidentally hear the wrong thing. But it also means for you to hear the original audio again you need to actually remove the cables from the Direct Outputs (slightly frustrating since on the actual SSL E/G/J series there is a button labeled Direct which does the switching for you, but that was not included in the Reason version). One way to deal with this is to create a Bus Channel for each physical output of the interface connected to each physical input of your SSL mixer. This requires a quick trick, which is to first create a Mix Channel and route it to a new bus which creates the Bus Channel for you (you cannot directly create a Bus Channel, you can only route to 'new' bus!). Then you can delete the Mix Channel, the Bus Channel remains and any new or previous Mix or Audio channel can be routed to this Bus. Let's call the first Bus SSL #1 or similar to indicate it is going to feed your SSL Mixer's channel 1 input (most likely from your audio interfaces #3 output since 1/2 are for the main L/R Reason outputs). Not flip the rack and connect the output of this bus channel to the Audio I/O section of the Hardware Interface at the top of the rack, output #3. Note that 'auto-route' will likely want to also connect the right channel to output #4, so be ready to delete that if added, or move it to the Bus Channel for output 4.
That's it, one Bus Channel for each hardware channel you want, mono or stereo. Save this as a template and you can quickly grab it for parts, or save the song and use it as your startup song so they are there every time you start a new song. Just simply send your drum bus to this bus (select the drum bus channel, right click to select "Route To" and choose the desired destination. Then if you need to NOT send the audio to the hardware SSL for any reason, either route it back to "Master Section" or remove the cables from the back of the rack going into the Bus Channel. Makes sense?
I would take a smilier approach to getting audio back into Reason, taking the outputs of your SSL into the interface and then into another Bus Channel that feeds the Master Section (main mix bus). That way you have many options - you can click REC SOURCE and then be able to record audio back from the SSL or just send it on to the master section without re-patching anything.

This is ONE way of doing it:

From there…
I personally would start with a general concept 'flow chart', like above, then a more specific detailing of the signal flow I wanted to achieve, using a list of 'must have' features/workflows. The text/list would read like: use the SSL to sum x channels including the following (list bus names and SSL input #, like "Mono Drums to SSL Channel 1", etc). It may be easier to build something this potentially complex if you have a clear picture in your head. For me this requires visuals, and that may not be necessary for you - whatever you can do to have a clear impression of what you want will more than likely increase the chance of getting it setup correctly the first time. Still, be prepared for a bit of troubleshooting, stuff like this has a lot of moving parts. Even after getting the routing right you may still need to mess with the buffer sizes to ensure the most streamlined workflow, which I find to be more important the more complex the setup becomes. And in the end, don't be totally surprised if the results are not worth the extra work - but you'll never know until you try!
Selig Audio, LLC

PrivatePartsUK

05 Apr 2022

Thanks Selig I'll go through this :puf_smile:

PrivatePartsUK

05 Apr 2022

Hi Selig,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. It makes sense. I guess all of the above is not my field of expertise this is why in our game you have an engineer, mixer, producer etc. Everyone serve their purpose and makes the machine work. Where I'm coming from is that I know what I want like I've mentioned before, it's more or less a typical hybrid setup.

Tbh it would be really helpful if you and I can have direct conversation about it all and to get me up and running as soon as possible and discuss various options?

This would help greatly because I'd really like to use Reason and the SSL to its fullest potential and get the signal flow spot on so I'm hearing what I'm truly meant to hear and my gain structure works as it was ITB and OTB as they has to be consistency if that makes sense. So im really open to all options and possibilities.

Please let me know if we can have a chat, once again thank you for your time!

PP

• Information